FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What Grapics Card to Get

Possum
Hi

I think my system needs graphics card. I know nothing about them.

I used Belarc Advisor to see what sort of system I have..

These are the results

http://udopage.com/temp/belarcadvisor.php

From that information what sort of card can my system use..

Cheers Possum..
r4inm4ker
no offense, but i think you need a new PC Smile .
Celeron with 376 RAM... it's usable only for basic applications on windws XP. So a graphic card will not help much here.
william
Well, two things. One, what's your budget?

And two, I don't think a graphics card update will do much. It doesn't look like you don't have an AGP nor a PCI-E slot, meaning you're only limited to PCI. So, I think the best card you could get is a Geforce 6200. I highly suggest that you don't get one of those. It may offer a slight improvement but it's not worth the money, and the performance will not change that much due to the Celeron chip. I'd say that if you need more graphics power, it's best that you upgrade to a new machine.
Possum
thx

I use this computer for screen capturing for tutorials as it has a 15in screen so the tutorials show well in larger screens. Perhaps more memory will do the trick then....

Cheers Possum..
datadoc
First of all I would check to see how much Ram your motherboard can handle and then I would max it out if your going to keep this system very long. Second they are right, you are limited to what kind of video card you can use, I think for your system the max that you could put in with a pci slot is a 64mb card. These are pretty cheap now days and you can get some new ones off ebay for under 15 bucks. Happy hunting.
sketchup
Why do you need a new graphics card?
Is the old (onboard??) one defective? By onboard I mean there's no separate videocard in the computer but integrated on the motherboard.
I do think this computer has an AGP slot, but you must check it. I you open up the PC, you see some white slots (there may be some cards in in, like a network card), if the one closest to the processor (there's a big aluminium heatsink with fan on it) is a brown colored one, then you have an AGP slot.
For screenshots, you don't need a fast videocard since they're only useful for 3D games. Maybe you can buy one second hand from someone who recently upgraded to a better one.
Jaan
First of all, what do you want it for?
If it's for gaming, you'll want to buy a new system lol!

There's an old saying that 'if it's not broken, don't fix it'. If your system works for you then it doesn't matter what anyone says if you're happy with it.
Possum
Hi

The computer stalls often, this could be a memory problem..

I don't game or create graphics. But I do have an old computer. I just though a graphics card could speed it up somewhat.

I will be getting RAM first but I though a Graphics card might help too..

Cheers Possum..
Jaan
By stalling you just mean freezing?
You could try defragmenting, running Spybot S & D (safer-networking.org) and disabling startup programs.

Also, you should run GameXP, it speeds things up a lot, especially shutdown times (through personal experience).
dmystic
A graphic card doesnt speed things up if you don't game, because its all based onCPU power, (processor) unless you use Windows Vista, because Windows Vista does use the graphics card.

but if u want a graphic card, and not paying too much for it, i would reccommend the Ati Radeon HD 4850
wahoyaho
If you don't game, no need for a new gfx card, use the money on a new system.
ForceRun
Yes, time to upgrade. Dude there is a point were you need to get a new system if you want to do anything more then type on it.
Diablosblizz
william wrote:

And two, I don't think a graphics card update will do much. It doesn't look like you don't have an AGP nor a PCI-E slot, meaning you're only limited to PCI. So, I think the best card you could get is a Geforce 6200. I highly suggest that you don't get one of those. It may offer a slight improvement but it's not worth the money, and the performance will not change that much due to the Celeron chip. I'd say that if you need more graphics power, it's best that you upgrade to a new machine.

I'd actually like to point out that there is nothing wrong with a GeForce 6200. I have one, just purchased, and actually it improved my gaming by a ton. Of course, it's not all about the card itself, but it did improve my graphics by very much. I have a brand new computer, with only PCI cards (it was a cheap computer, but it does me for what I need it for) and I've been upgrading it slowly.

So I don't believe that the 6200 is not worth buying, because it's the best product I have bought for my computer.
william
Diablosblizz wrote:
william wrote:

I'd actually like to point out that there is nothing wrong with a GeForce 6200. I have one, just purchased, and actually it improved my gaming by a ton. Of course, it's not all about the card itself, but it did improve my graphics by very much. I have a brand new computer, with only PCI cards (it was a cheap computer, but it does me for what I need it for) and I've been upgrading it slowly.

So I don't believe that the 6200 is not worth buying, because it's the best product I have bought for my computer.

Oh, I agree. A Geforce 6200 can really speed up PCI system. It annihilates the IGPs found in those machines. I was just saying that it wasn't worth buying in his case because the CPU and RAM are already limiting the peroformance and unless an upgrade is made to those, a 6200 won't do much.
Diablosblizz
Quote:
Oh, I agree. A Geforce 6200 can really speed up PCI system. It annihilates the IGPs found in those machines. I was just saying that it wasn't worth buying in his case because the CPU and RAM are already limiting the peroformance and unless an upgrade is made to those, a 6200 won't do much.

Okay, sorry, I must have read your post wrong. I apologize. But yes, in his case there is no point.
ForceRun
Yeah, a lot of the Dells and HPs save money by not supporting graphic cards like putting in a PCI-Ex slot. There really is no long a PCI solution to get real graphics, so if you want any real graphics time to get a new motherboard. And if you are going to get new mobo and your cpu and ram is already lagging in power; you might as well get a new cpu and ram.
schoenstattmx
I am thinking in a Ati HD 4800 look at this:
ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series – Key Features

* TeraScale Graphics Engine - The new TeraScale graphics engine features over one teraFLOPS, nearly one billion transistors and 800 stream processors so you can enjoy the high resolutions and fast frame rates previously only available with dual-card systems.
* Advanced Memory - GDDR5 memory provides twice the bandwidth per pin of GDDR3.
* Enhanced Anti-Aliasing & Anisotropic Filtering - High performance anisotropic filtering and 24x custom filter anti-aliasing (CFAA) smooth jagged edges and create true-to-life graphics, for everything from grass to facial features.
* DirectX® 10.1 - Play today while preparing for tomorrow with state-of-the-art DirectX 10.1 graphics capabilities.
* ATI CrossFireX™ Technology - ATI CrossFireX™ technology with up to quad GPU support offers superior scalability so your system is ready to level up when you are.
* PCI Express 2.0 - Support for PCI Express 2.0 will prepare you for bandwidth-hungry games and 3D applications.
* Unified Video Decoder 2 (UVD 2) - UVD 2 frees up your CPU for other tasks so you get The Ultimate Visual Experience™ for even the most processing-intensive content, including VC-1, H.264 and now MPEG-2. Also, take full advantage of Blu-ray functionality with dual-stream, picture in picture (PIP) capabilities.
* Accelerated Video Transcoding (AVT) - AVT allows you to convert videos to H.264 and MPEG-2 formats up to 19x faster than when using a just CPU.3 Full 1080p files can be converted to H.264 and MPEG-2 up to 1.8x faster than real-time.3
* Upscale Beyond 1080p - Watch the hottest Blu-ray movies or other HD content at full 1080p display resolution and beyond.1
* Enhanced DVD Upscaling - Watch standard DVD movies in near high-definition quality with DVD upscaling. The GPU uses post processing algorithms to enhance standard and low resolution videos and movies on your HD display.
* Dynamic Contrast - Dynamic Contrast automatically adjusts the contrast and brightness during scenes to consistently deliver a crisp, vibrant picture.
* HDMI - Enjoy the latest audio technologies using HDMI with 7.1 digital surround sound support. Also, xvYCC support allows the user to enjoy a wider range of color when connected to a capable HDTV.
* Dynamic Power Management - ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series graphics cards deliver high performance when needed and conserve power when the demand on the graphics processor is low.
* More Performance Per Watt - ATI Radeon HD 4800 series delivers up to 2x the performance per watt of AMD’s previous generation GPUs.

Here is the site: http://ati.amd.com/products/radeonhd4800/index.html
jackill
If You consider HD 84xx series, the best choice is ATI Radeon HD 4850, because it's price/performance rate. 4870 is slightly better, but far more expensive.
osuchin
I got NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500 256 MB, 128 bit DDR AGP