FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

does anyone go to movie theaters anymore?

TurtleShell
I go to movie theaters once a year. I can't afford it! And it's not worth it because I still have to sit through the d&mn commercials. It was less than a decade ago that I used to spend my Friday nights at actual dollar theaters, picking random movies I had never heard of and watching them for just a dollar and I didn't care if they sucked, because it had only cost a dollar, so most of the time I was pleasantly surprised. I saw some good movies that way!

These days, I only go see one movie a year. I try to pick one that's big budget and a lot of fun. Last year it was the Spiderman flick.
rightclickscott
I'm sick of people complaining about theaters. I work at a theater, and it's really not that bad. Yeah, we admit that we charge a lot for food, but that money pays for my food. I can't live off of popcorn all day. Previews are no big deal anyways. If you're really that impatient to see a movie, then why didn't you just come a little later and skip the previews?

Yeah, we have lots of movies that suck. No, we don't even watch them, even though we get free movies. If you don't know if a movie sucks or not, if you ask us, we might give you a responsible answer. If not, we have movie guides. Make you're own decisions. It's not our fault that the economy is so f*cked up that we have to charge for movies. Hell, ask me nicely, and I might let you in for free. The fact of the matter is that, despite what you may believe, our expenses incredibly supersede what we charge. Besides, plenty of people go to movies (in fact, more people than we want to), so we don't have to worry about people like you not going to theaters anymore.
Fake
Some of us with REAL frnds actually do go out
And a theatre is not a bad place..
lethaltriad
There havent been much movies that interest me lately to actually go to the movies but summer is nearing so hopefully i'll have a hand full of flicks that I would wanna see. Looking forward for indiana jones and hopefully they have some good horror flicks. I went to the movies the other day and I looked on the movie list and didnt see any movies there that I was familiar with.. first time ever its happened to me so I really hope I can get back into the loop summer time. Price isnt soo much an issue.. just more a good selection of flicks i actually wanna see.
crimson_aria
rightclickscott wrote:
Previews are no big deal anyways. If you're really that impatient to see a movie, then why didn't you just come a little later and skip the previews?

The 'previews' is like, my most favorite part of the whole theater thing 8D I love getting in ahead of the actual movie screening time just to see the previews. It's where I look for interesting movies to watch. I know I can look for them in TV commercials and online, but it's a different feel when you watch it on big screen. hehe.

anyway, to answer the question. I still go to watch movies in theaters with my friends. We don't go much though. It depends on the movies available. If it is interesting enough, we schedule a date and watch.
adri
I often go the cinema but not that much (once in a month), cause some movies you just have to see because they are really very good (like Meet the Spartans, Iron Man, The Bank Job,...) but other movies that just haven't that litlle extra to watch it in the cinema, I just rent it in the dvd-store. Wink
I cheap and you can see it when you want or when you have time.

Conclusion: Cinema is fun but go and see only extra good movies because it's like pretty expensive if you want to see all good movies. Razz

Adri
hlavco
I like going to the movies, but I don't do it nearly enough. I like watching the previews, they're often longer and reach farther into the future than the ones on the television. That makes the movies featured more likely to spark my interest. Also, the huge screen and blaring sound are a great experience, especially with more action-y or musical movies. My grandpa says that back in the day when the theaters were a main source of entertainment, the screens were even bigger.

Another thing that's fun is drive-in movies. You need a good car for it though, especially if you've got more than two people. Luckily, I got a pickup truck last year, and we can bring folding chairs and set them up in the bed. It's really great. Plus, you don't get food crumbs all over the car... the rain washes the mess away.
pudovkin
With so little time to go out and so many options to watch films, I rarely go to theaters.
I believe the last time I attended a theater was 3 or 4 months ago.
Too bad for me. Sad
bigdan
I love going to the movies, but I live out in a rural area and the local cinema is currently closed while the family who owns the building is working out what to do with the place. So the only time I go and see a movie is when I take the train and go to Newcastle and see a film there. And that's not often.

It's not that I don't want to go to a movie theatre, it's just that the nearest one is a couple of hundred kilometres away.
Dean_The_Great
I go to the Theatre all the time. Provided, of course, there is a movie worth watching. But if the trailer looks good, I'll probably check it out. Plus, if you skip on the popcorn it's not that expensive (although I generally spring for it).

And the trailers are also something I really enjoy. Sometimes they give a little much away, but generally they're good. Plus, I like that the genre of the movie usually affects what trailers play (just good marketing) so I see trailers that I want to see, at least most of the time.
Nutteloos
I go to a cinema maybe 4 times a year, no more than that. When I do, I mostly go with a couple of friends and it's more about having a good time than about watching a good movie. I think Die Hard 4.0 was the last one I saw.

It's not that it's very expensive, really. Just as long as you forget about buying too much food and drink at their place. If you want to see movies often enough (like maybe twice a week) you can just get a subscription and go for free to any movie you want to see.
Idoru
I've never been a fan of the theatres. As an addicted smoker I don't find it to relaxing to sit in an enviroment
where cigarettes is forbidden. I know, it might seem lame, but the thing is, the experience does not
become recreational.
Another thing holding me away is the crowd. Again, I don't feel to relaxed in crowds, and that affects the experience.
But, I am glad that the thecnique you can have at home developed so much. That way, we spoiled, high-demanding
folks also can have a deacent movie-experience. Cool

Still, despite all my negative attitude, I must give in to the fact that movies are best seen at a theatre. But it's
nor for all.
lastelement0
adri wrote:
I often go the cinema but not that much (once in a month), cause some movies you just have to see because they are really very good (like Meet the Spartans, Iron Man, The Bank Job,...) but other movies that just haven't that litlle extra to watch it in the cinema, I just rent it in the dvd-store. Wink
I cheap and you can see it when you want or when you have time.

Conclusion: Cinema is fun but go and see only extra good movies because it's like pretty expensive if you want to see all good movies. Razz

Adri

did you really put Meet the Spartans in the same group as Iron Man?? I like parody movies don't get me wrong, but Meet the Spartans was nothing short of atrocious. I couldn't believe I spent the $5 (discount day at the theater) to go see it. The funniest parts were shown on the trailers on TV. I was better off with that.

anyway, back on topic. i really avoid the movie theaters to be honest. if theres a reallllly good movie out that pretty much has to be seen in the theaters (iron man, transformers, etc.) i'd go. but for the regular movies that aren't that big i'll just wait till it comes out on dvd. spending $10 most of the time on movies just doesn't make that much sense in my eyes. i'd much rather spend $20 on a dvd i can watch whenever as opposed to $10 for a one time watch.
cavey
I love going to the movies. But it is so expensive. With the tickets, candy, parking, babysitter, its cheaper to buy the DVD in norway - full price!! (about 40 USD!). We pick the best movies, and watch them on the movies, and watch the rest on DVD or TV.
snowboardalliance
TurtleShell wrote:
I go to movie theaters once a year. I can't afford it! And it's not worth it because I still have to sit through the d&mn commercials. It was less than a decade ago that I used to spend my Friday nights at actual dollar theaters, picking random movies I had never heard of and watching them for just a dollar and I didn't care if they sucked, because it had only cost a dollar, so most of the time I was pleasantly surprised. I saw some good movies that way!

These days, I only go see one movie a year. I try to pick one that's big budget and a lot of fun. Last year it was the Spiderman flick.

I can go see a movie for $3 and get popcorn and a drink for $2 (with a freely available coupon). But that's just the advantage of a big theater that's taking away the old one's customers, thank you competition. Anyway, I don't even go that often because not many good movies have been out recently.
sondosia
I love going to the movies, but agreed, it's too expensive. However, not far from my house there's a little theater called Bargain Box Office, which shows movies that are just out of theaters. That doesn't bother me because I hardly ever see them when they first come out. I haven't gone there yet though, but I'm planning on it...It sounds like a great alternative to paying 10 bucks for a so-so movie at a nice theater.
driftingfe3s
I also enjoy the previews at the moives. I agree it is getting expensive, but I always just smuggle in my own food so at least I don't have to pay for that.
ainieas
To tell the truth I don't even remember very clearly the last time I was in a movie theatre! All I do these days is rent a movie and watch it on my PC. Everyone says the experience is never the same but I prefer it that way. Wink
Zaini711
For me, on weekly basis. After work for long week, I'll bring my wife & son to the theater and just enjoy the movie, but of course, I would select movies that my 5 years old son can watch. Some animation, action but not too heavy on gore.... just some nice and entertaining movies.

I do have lots of DVDs but I find if you really want to enjoy a good movie, you had to watch on the big screen in the theater.......
bigdan
Zaini711 wrote:
For me, on weekly basis. After work for long week, I'll bring my wife & son to the theater and just enjoy the movie, but of course, I would select movies that my 5 years old son can watch. Some animation, action but not too heavy on gore.... just some nice and entertaining movies.

I do have lots of DVDs but I find if you really want to enjoy a good movie, you had to watch on the big screen in the theater.......

Same. I have over 300+ DVDs, but I still love going to the theatre. There's still something about watching it on the big screen that holds an attraction for me. I can't really replicate that at home...
selevan
When you sit in a big room, with great stereo sound and big screen... its something more than just sitting on sofa and watching it on TV. I still love going to cinema with my GF.
deanhills
I love going to the movies. I agree, it is quite expensive, and different from what it was like before when you could see a number of movies at a low price and there were long line-ups because it was so popular. Probably part of the high price is less people going, which I am happy too, as lots of space for me. Movie theaters are very comfortable these days. Well-designed and great sound. I probably do not go as often as I used to but am happy that I can. It is nice to wander around all the posters of forthcoming movies. I enjoy the staff and the whole experience. I hope it will be around for many years to come as when the theatres are half empty I wonder how long it will last.
Afaceinthematrix
rightclickscott wrote:
Previews are no big deal anyways. If you're really that impatient to see a movie, then why didn't you just come a little later and skip the previews?

When I go to the movies, I actually show up earlier because the previews are my favorite part. I love trailers because the creators always make them extremely epic (they're always better than the actual movie).

However, I don't ever go to the movies because it is a little expensive. I don't usually care about watching specific movies, I just like watching movies so I just watch the ones on the television or rent them or a lot cheaper. I do that so that I can still have fun watching the movies, but it's a lot cheaper. Occasionally there is that movie that I really want to see, so I'll go to see that movie. The last time I paid to go to the movie theater was in 2005, to see Star Wars III. I actually went one more time in 2006, but it was only because I had a free movie ticket. The movie I ended up seeing was boring (I only chose that one because my friend wanted to watch it - or else I would never have chosen to see "Happy Feet"). But I did enjoy watching Star Wars in the theater. The screen was so big.
GaryMK
You cabn not beat watching a blockbuster on the big screen with big sound to compliment. I know you can get a pretty good experience with a home cinema, but you don't get a screen that size, and the one thing you certainly don't get is atmosphere. Particularly with a comedy - laughter breeds laughter.

I for one will still keep paying the ticket money, albeit I don't get to go as often as I would like to.
gandalfthegrey
Only if someone gives me free tickets! Wink

Or if they have a free screening.
SHARPBALL
Going to the cinema, i love it.

Yes yes , i cost you a few dollars but what do you get (if the movie is good) great sound, great vision
and allot of popcorn

what need a man more, right bear but that cost also some casch en if you drink it in a pub or club i could cost you more. And you not got the great sound nore the great vision( hmm women's....)

So go to the theater an watch some movie. Is it a bad one you could talk en think about it, but is it a good one you could also thalk en think about it. So movie watching make you think more.

greets
apple
My hubby-to-be and I go to the movies once a week or once every two weeks.

Its not THAT expensive.

We pay about $3US each to enter the theater and most times we see two movies for that price. On tuesday nights there is a special and we both get in for about $1.50US

lol...I guess it is cheap!
rufa
Yeah, it's really getting more expensive. And well I can afford it, but it does tear on my wallet so I don't go very often. I get the movies I want to see other ways Rolling Eyes . But yeah, cinema rocks when I do go watch it. Black Knight with big screen and awesome surround ftw Very Happy.
vampire8u
The closest movie theater to me is 30 miles away. With gas prices skyrocketing coupled with a vehicle that gets 15mpg we don't go anywhere anymore. It's to bad you can't just get movies on pay per view immediately when they are released even if it costs more than a normal ppv it would still be worth it to millions of people. Taking the family to the movies costs 24$ for 4 of us, throw in some 7.50$ drinks and a 8$ bag of popcorn per person and thats another 62$ now add in the cost of gas at 4.35$ a gallon for a 60 mile trip at 15mpg and theres another 17.40$ So I've spent 103.40$ to see a movie I could get off netflix for next to nothing a few months later and eat my 10 cent bag of popcorn at home without any kids yelling or rude people answering their cell phones or throwing their coke and candy on you.
I do have a big screen tv and surround sound so the theater isn't beating me on quality either.

The Movie Theater is DEAD to me.
carl_fernandes
I do go to the theater to watch movies. However I don go for ever movie that is released on friday. I usually read the movie reviews that come out on the net and then decide to watch the movies. Spending time with your friend at a theater is not a bad idea. In fact most of the summer blockbusters are worth watching in the theater. Especially the ones which have a lot of special effects and good background music.. You dont get the same effect if you watch it on a DVD.. Also you have to wait for a really long time for the movies to release on DVD's. If you are ready to wait for the DVD's then you can.

Also I love the previews which are shown before the movie starts. In fact i go early just to watch the preview of upcoming movies.... This helps you to decide your next movie.

==========
http://amazing-goa.blogspot.com
MeddlingMonk
I occasionally go to the cinema/theatre to see a movie - usually only if it's something I've really been looking forward to. Nowdays, if I miss a movie in the cinemas, then I know it'll be out on DVD within six months (if it's a popular movie) and broadcast on free-to-air television within three years (at least, that's the pattern I've noticed here in Australia with most new movies).

There's a good little cinema near where I live; not a really big one, but large enough to give you the cinema experience without it costing a fortune. Plus, it's on a public bus route, so getting there isn't too expensive either.
Olly
I go to the movies most Sundays with some girl friends. We also have a restaurant meal while we are out and generally catch up with a good chin wag so it's a good day out.

We don't go to see mainstream movies though (well, hardly ever) preferring to see foreign/arthouse movies that you're not likely to find on DVD in the shops or for rental later on and try to get to most of the movies when French, Italian, Spanish film festivals are on.

Consequently the movie theatres we go to are in the "artier, more alternative" part of town (nowhere where we live) so we also check out the book shops, etc and love the whole experience of the outdoor cafe scene and watching the world go by.

Some recent favourites have been The Edge of Heaven (Swedish), As It Is In Heaven (German/Turkish), (neither of them religious by the way) and The Bands Visit (Egyptian). Other countries have some wonderful movies with great storylines although I'm not really into Bollywood.

Cheers
Olly
RosenCruz
why not....?movie theaters always have a different taste than DVD's and home theaters... Cool
msfuture
i go when i want to see the movie otherwise im going right now to dark knight
honeyflash
There was only one movie theater in my city, and it's been shut down for four years now. It really doesn't make much of a difference, I didn't go there too much anyway. It was affordable, but the accomodations were terrible. I've never fancied going to the movies anyway. I'd rather watch it at home.

Last time I went to the movies was to see Iron Man... I was traveling so I said "hey! let's do something different!" =D
Faraz
With movies coming on cable tv, dvd's and Internet, not many people go to theatres here, except on special occasions, like family gathering. It's fun really, specially if it's a comedy movie.

PS. We went to a movie yesterday, but it sucked so bad that we decided never to go to theatre anymore. Lol.
Bonifacy
I do ! And I enjoy it very much:) everytime I have some money I go to the cinema:) Watching film at home cannot be compared with sitting in front of this great display with your girlfriend or bunch of friends. I do go to the cinema as often as possible:)
r4inm4ker
I think it's still a different mood and enjoyment between watching in cinema in at home. You're more focused when watching in cinema, and the response of other audience will also enhance the experience. Of course you need to carefully choose a good movie, otherwise you just want to get out as soon as possible, lol.
Also, there're some 3D (Stereo) movies that can only be enjoyed inside cinema like IMAX.
bernardnapoleon
i do.
bernardnapoleon
i do.
Melacos
I maybe go once every two months, and practically every time I regret it afterwards - mainly because of the prices... I'm studying and well, my economic situation does not follow the same logics as the inflation of theater fees...
keane
Yup! I got to theaters to see movies, usually during weekends. I watch movies with my friends, and it's a way of relaxing from a long and exhausting week. Though lately, I've not been into the movie house that much since there aren't that much movies that interests me.
Flakky
Last time me and some friends picked a random movie, it was a 4 hour movie in which I slept for 3 hours because it was really boring. I never go unless I know what movie and I smuggle food and drinks with me because they are indeed very expensive.
imera
I would love to see around one or two movies a year in the cinema, but the cinema we have here is small, and far away to. There are many movies I want to see, but I'm pretty sure I'll wait untill the movie comes out.
tw34kfr34k
I never liked the theater,i only use it on chicks :p
why would i go to the theater and pay 8 for a movie just to watch it once?
i'd rather sit at home where i can smoke,put it on pauze,make a phonecall or whatever i wanna do in the meantime.
eday2010
I go to the theatre t osee movies with a friend now and then, or when seeing a movie at home just doesn't come close to cutting it when compared to a theatre. Case in point: Monsters vs Aliens in IMAX 3D. No home theatre system can compare to seeing that movie in IMAX 3D. With more 3D movies coming out, I will be going to the theatre more often.
love_her_freida_pinto
For me, movies are only good for extremely action packed movies or must sees otherwise it is basically a waste of money. That ten bucks you wasted could have gotten you a McDonald McValue meal or something of that sort lol. i usually only go when I'm on a holiday.
bchuminx
love going the theater..nothing beats watching a movie on big screen with cool audio sounds =) although quite pricey but I guess it is worth it on some really worth to watch movies ^^ imagine watching LOTR on dvd and on the big screen, huge difference! lush landscape and epic battles are sometimes better explained on big screen..*grin
supernova1987a
TurtleShell wrote:

Yes people still go. Its better to watch in theatres than at home! People want to spend time and have fun, they want to date and hang out and if you run out of places you still have a theatre.
PleoMaster
I still visit the cinema some times, Probably around twice every few months.

I mainly only go when there's a huge hit on the cinemas such as Ice Age 3 and Transformers Revenge of the Fallen.

Its pretty much a waste of money tho for the rest of the movies unless your willing to view them big screened, instead of watching them on the internet.

It costs around 6 Pounds to watch a movie over here in the UK at CineWorld. which is quite a disappointment.
deanhills
I like a movie theatre, but only go occasionally and when something really good is showing. Quite expensive to watch, almost the equivalent of buying a DVD these days. Yet, there is nothing to beat going to a cinema, buying popcorn or other snacks and a large coke. And then to be guided in the cinema with someone with a flash light and take a nice comfy seat. It still is special when I get there, so probably need to do more of this before it goes out of business.
Insanity
I mainly go to the theaters just for the experience, not really to watch the movie. Movies now you can catch online in various venues, and usually for much lower prices and more much convenience. There is no need to drive and waste gas, as well as find parking. I only go to the theaters if I want to hang out with my friends. It's a nice experience sharing a giant bag of popcorn and watching on a gigantic screen. Expensive, though.
ticktacktoe
There was a time when I used to watch most movies first-day-first-show in the theatres with my friends but that time is long since past.

Most of the crap Hollywood comes out with these days isn't worth spending money on theatres these days. I just wait for them to appear online on torrent or get them from friends who have downloaded them from torrent in turn.

However they do come up with some really fantastic movies at times where it's totally worth the trip to the cinema halls. Example - Transformers 2 Revenge of the Fallen! Very Happy
deanhills
ticktacktoe wrote:
Most of the crap Hollywood comes out with these days isn't worth spending money on theatres these days. I just wait for them to appear online on torrent or get them from friends who have downloaded them from torrent in turn.Very Happy
Surely the act of watching a movie in a theatre is more than just the movie. It is an outing, getting away from home, learning about other movies in the circuit, enjoying a nice big screen etc. Smile
natilovesmike
Well, I would love to go to the movie theater more often, but between school and my 3 year old son it seems impossible to do it more than once or twice a year...not only because it gets expensive between the ticket for the movie plus popcorn (which is a must!) but I also have to pay for a baby-sitter so it ends up being something like $100 a night for my husband and I and we can't afford that very often. Besides, I work (and study) all day long and come in the evening and I do want to spend time with my son, so I don't like going out too often without him.
ticktacktoe
deanhills wrote:
ticktacktoe wrote:
Most of the crap Hollywood comes out with these days isn't worth spending money on theatres these days. I just wait for them to appear online on torrent or get them from friends who have downloaded them from torrent in turn.Very Happy
Surely the act of watching a movie in a theatre is more than just the movie. It is an outing, getting away from home, learning about other movies in the circuit, enjoying a nice big screen etc. Smile

I agree, but as the poster above me just elucidated, the costs of watching a movie have risen drastically (minus the babysitter part for me), and the quality of movies has gone downhill. It just don't justify spending that much money on them these days. Besides, there are always other ways of having an outing. Wink
snowboardalliance
I only go to the cheaper theater in town, $5 for students any time, or the other theater for matinee times ($5). But when I'm at school, we have a free theater with movies that were recently in theaters but are not yet on DVD. Good use of my tuition haha
chiragpatnaik
going to the movies is a big expensive affai. I much try to avoid.
traxion
snowboardalliance wrote:
I only go to the cheaper theater in town, $5 for students any time, or the other theater for matinee times ($5). But when I'm at school, we have a free theater with movies that were recently in theaters but are not yet on DVD. Good use of my tuition haha

relex school you have.

on school we normale get the movies viavia ( not always the legal way, if you mean what i say Razz). but we always put the movies on the beamer and view them with the hole class Very Happy
supernova1987a
ticktacktoe wrote:
There was a time when I used to watch most movies first-day-first-show in the theatres with my friends but that time is long since past.

Most of the crap Hollywood comes out with these days isn't worth spending money on theatres these days. I just wait for them to appear online on torrent or get them from friends who have downloaded them from torrent in turn.

However they do come up with some really fantastic movies at times where it's totally worth the trip to the cinema halls. Example - Transformers 2 Revenge of the Fallen! Very Happy

People still watch movies on first day. Last time I went to watch a movie I saw the whole theatre playing the same movies in all of its screens and all of them packed and a big crowd outside to watch the movie. That was crazy. The first night. But i didnt like the movie at all.
scallywag
I went and saw the new Harry Potter movie not long ago, and it was pricey but worth it. The movie was good, and I hadn't been to the theater in aaaaages before that (like actually years) so it was a nice indulgence.

I love the previews too, I don't have TV so I saw previews for a couple really good looking movies that got me super excited.
Crazy_Canuck
I use to love going to the theater. But now between the ticket price and noisy people, it's almost not worth it. People almost act like they are in their living rooms and talk through the entire movie. I would rather wait for the DVD and watch it at home. I love the big screen and the big sound!
Enterprise
As a theatre worker, I can assure you, they do. Maybe not in the numbers of the old days, but just look at the numbers and millions of dollars that big-budget films continue to bring in! Maybe it is declining if you take population and inflation into consideration but when you also consider the economic situation in America, it kind of makes sense.
sum12nv
i still go to movie theartres and its fun.!!!
Radar
I'll only go to a movie theatre if I'm pretty convinced that it's going to be a good movie. I don't want to have the experience where you've paid for a ticket, gone in there, and it turns out to be a waste of two hours. As a result, it's rare that I actually end up going.

Last movie I would have gone to see would have been Terminator 4, but I wasn't able to find the time in the end.
TurtleShell
So I was about to post in this thing all about my disillusionment with movie theaters, and then I realized that I authored this thread. So I've already done that.

I've been going to movies a little bit more now than I used to a year or so ago because I've found out that if you go to a movie at 9AM the theaters are pretty cheap...about six bucks a ticket. Not bad!

So now my new problem is not with theaters, but the movies. Most of them suck! It's really hard to find a good movie now. ...and that's not to say I haven't enjoyed the movies I have seen in the last several months, but that's because I was pretty choosy. It turns out that there really just aren't very many worth watching. I saw Up recently, and it was one of the best films I've seen in a long, long time. It had everything. The audience cried and laughed and cried. Really. I was so impressed. It was imaginative and creative and weird and charming. but they don't make a lot of movies like that anymore...or maybe they never did, and my standards were just lower when I was a kid.
silverdown
Nope I PPV (Pay Per View) them and if i like them I go buy the DVD.
love_her_freida_pinto
yues, movie theaters are wayy madd
rosgar
but before I watch a movie, I consult first to my friends who already watched it...tweeter hehe. I hate spending my hard-earned-money to a stupid movie.