FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Ubuntu 8.04





kitsrock
Ubuntu 8.04 is being released tomorrow, April 24th.
Who else is stoked? Cause I sure am.

Code named Hardy Heron, Ubuntu 8.04 sports Linux kernel 2.6.24, Gnome 2.22, Xorg 7.3, and Firefox 3 beta 5. A special mention about this release is that it is their Long Term Support (LTS) release, meaning instead of the usual 18 months security support on normal releases, it gets 3 years for desktop, and 5 years for servers.

I was tempted to download the Release Candidate (RC) and give the LiveCD a go, but then I realized I was on a limited bandwidth and would have to choose between RC and the full release.

Read more about it on the Ubuntu site.

Those of you who can't download large files or don't have a burner can always request CDs from their shipit site free of charge. (shipit however does take upto 10 weeks for the CDs to arrive, and therefore you may want to consider buying the CD from any linux distro site for about 2-3 dollars + shipping)
william
I downloaded the RC and burned the ISO file but never used it, due the lack of time. I primarily use Ubuntu as my Linux distro of choice, but I plan on switching over to Arch whenever I get the time. I'm ready to download it tomorrow because I want to use this version to switch people over to Linux (perfect time being the LTS version) and I need to get Linux installed on some older computers to squeeze some life out of them (Windows has now become unbearable). I probably will update my own computers to this version (still running 7.04, never got the time to go up to 7.10) soon.
kansloos
I find Ubuntu to be a nice and easy distribution.
But they include a lot of instable software, for example in this release Firefox 3 beta 5 is the default browser.
LostOverThere
I'm looking forward to it too. Hopefully it will be a good release. However like kansloos I'm a little bit worried that they're putting Beta software in LTS releases. Oh well.

However by the time I finally finish downloading it, Firefox 3 will probably be stable. Stupid dialup speed internet.
frih
ubuntu is a very nice linux....moreover it s free and also you reqest CDs from the website the website is www.ubuntu.com .....they deliver the cds free of cost to your home....you need a valid email account for requesting cds.....you have to fill some basic information such as name,address,country,etc....they will delivered the cd free of cost to your home. delivery is done within 2 months. i got 2 cds from ubuntu



tak care

hav a gud time


regards
abhi
LostOverThere
Yeah, the free CDs thing is good. However waiting 6 weeks because they send them as low priority is a bummer. Rolling Eyes
Studio Madcrow
I'm an openSUSE fan/user, but the newest Ubuntu certainly looks quite good. I'm more waiting for OpenSUSE 11 though.
csoftdev
i am more to fedora but i have tried ubuntu/kubuntu distros and it's quite nice. it's quite user friendly, but in the end i still switch back to fedora as i have been using it for many years, since it was redhat 7.
SamiTheBerber
I have downloaded the image, but still haven't burned it. Maybe in few weeks I have time to dist upgrade. Today I'm going in release party in Helsinki. I was in last year, when Feisty was released. I also bought new laptop, so I'm going to install a customized installation on it Smile
shenyl
I have been on MS DOS and then Win and then 2000/XP/2003.
Recently (last 1 year), I have been working with SUSE 10 and Ubuntu.

From the installed desktop or workstation, they are great replacement for Win XP, but if you
are a developer or an educator who works with lots of IT Tools, it seem Linux is still far way off from Windows.

Recently, I tried to find a rpm for SUSE 10 and Ubuntu for a virtual PDF printer - as I need to print out of different software.

My search through Google and dogpile really show me, why MS Windows still holds 90 percent of the Desktop OS.

Ubuntu - liveCD bundled with installation is a get way to try out the feel of the desktop OS, but as I mentioned the software catalogue for additional software can do a lot more additions.

Yes, Ubuntu seem good, but I will still hold on to MS Win, till I find it easy and lots of choice (freeware) to accompany it.

With regards.
SonLight
kitsrock, thanks for the info. I have kept my desktop on Dapper (6.06) because it is the LTS version, and I didn't want to hassle with a lot of changes. Dapper is getting a little old, so I hope Hardy (8.04) is pretty stable.

I expected to have to choose between re-installing the OS to upgrade, or doing step-by-step upgrades for all the intermediate versions. I am pleased to read that they have an upgrade script directly from 6.06 to 8.04. I will probably check out the forums for a few days to see if there are a lot of upgrade problems, then upgrade if it appears safe to do so.

I also have a laptop with Gutsy on it, which I have not messed with much since installation. I will surely upgrade it to Hardy in the near future.
smspno
I have just downloaded Ubuntu 8.04 but I haven't installed it yet. I always update the operating system when the new version is released. I like having my software up-to-date.
SamiTheBerber
Now I have installed Hardy Smile It seems to be very stable and have lots of new packages with it. It is good platform for me as web developer and private company man.

SonLight wrote:
I expected to have to choose between re-installing the OS to upgrade, or doing step-by-step upgrades for all the intermediate versions.
The idea of LTS-versions are that you can install them from one to another without problems. LTS is ment for end-users and for those, who need table system for longer time and not so tigh update-cycle. Technical people can use also non-LTS-versions, because they want to upgrade for newest packages available on that time.
kansloos
I installed Hardy as well finally,

First I tried to upgrade my distro, instead of reinstalling but this failed dramaticly (I broke my X-server as usual). Clean installation however solved all my problems :)
mehulved
Smooth upgrade for me from GG to HH on my sister's computer. Also, prolly because I didn't need to put too many additional softwares in that PC.
I had no issues whatsoever in the upgrade.
xbcd
Hey im currently on 7.10 and i see no reason to update to 8.04. I mean what are the biggest draws. I moved from 7.04 to 7.10 because of compiz built in and automatic printer config. Now i do not see any new features that are super draws. I ordered a cd and will give it a spin when it comes in. Not because i can't download it, its just i see no hurry unless someone can point out some super upgrades.
LostOverThere
Hardy, being a long term support is meant to be much more stable then Gutsy (which shouldn't be hard). New features are fairly minimalist in Long Term Support editions.
SamiTheBerber
LostOverThere wrote:
Hardy, being a long term support is meant to be much more stable then Gutsy (which shouldn't be hard). New features are fairly minimalist in Long Term Support editions.

That's true. My hardy installation has been very stable. Only a minor bug in touchpad after suspend.
lastelement0
surprisingly, i have had several issues since switching over to hardy heron. however, they haven't been major issues so i haven't really done much about them. they are all things that worked fine with gutsy and seemed to have lost functionality with the upgrade.

to set it up i have a dell inspiron e1505.

the front panel media buttons have been rather odd. at first they didnt work, then they worked, then they didn't work, and now they work again. weird. also, since i've upgraded the media keys on my mx3200 logitech keyboard haven't been working with Amarok. however the volume keys do.

thats another thing, i had a theme on my gutsy set up which changed the skin of the volume when that popped up. and like the media keys issue one moment i'd have the skin, the next just a generic bar. and that keeps switching on me.

also, my machine seems to be choosing when it wants to shut down on its own or when it needs me to press the power button after its already initiated shut down to complete it.

all little things but they do cause some frustration that's for sure.

if any of you have any suggestions as to how i should go about this short of reinstall please let me know.
jackill
lastelement0 wrote:
the front panel media buttons have been rather odd. at first they didnt work, then they worked, then they didn't work, and now they work again. weird. also, since i've upgraded the media keys on my mx3200 logitech keyboard haven't been working with Amarok. however the volume keys do.


Try xbindkey, It allows You to assign any function to any key. Setup is very easy, only thing You need is to find what command is used for what thing or set hotkeys in app settings. For example I was using one media keys for turning on my adsl connection Smile Withowus typing commands in console Smile
Stubru Freak
I downloaded it and it works very well.

Only the display worked better in the 6.06 release. Setting up two monitors was easier (for my pc), and my old laptop doesn't get a proper screen resolution anymore in 8.04. But the rest just works. Very Happy
SamiTheBerber
Stubru Freak wrote:
I downloaded it and it works very well.

Only the display worked better in the 6.06 release. Setting up two monitors was easier (for my pc), and my old laptop doesn't get a proper screen resolution anymore in 8.04. But the rest just works. Very Happy

I also had some display issues, when tried to attach 40" Full-HD television to my laptop. I have Intel GMA95 (if I remember correctly).
erlendhg
The final release of Hardy ran well on my school laptop (Compaq 67156b), but it did not support the drivers and firmware of my Broadcom wlan card as Feisty and Gutsy did. The problem is in the kernel, but upgrading it helps. So it is not 100% "stable"..
teko
I installed this again on my dual boot laptop. I´ve tried Gentoo for a while but on my PIII the continous compiling takes too long on an old laptop like this.

I was surprised to see it detected automatically my USB wifi card.

Although one thing has me confused I need to change the resolution for my laptop as its only displaying something like 600x480

Before there used to be an application to help you configure the xorg.conf file. Has this been replaced or do I have to go and edit the file now manually? I actually cant think of the name of the script just now anyone remember? well I guess I´m off to the ubuntu forums Smile

PS just found out the name of the tool it was called xorgconfig and was at least included in other linux distros that used xorg
erlendhg
Is it just me, or is Gentoo for the more advanced linux users?
I tried to install it once. I don't know if it was the pc that was incompatible and the installer halted, or if you need severe unix knowledge to install it.

Anyways, it seemed to install for a while, then I was dropped to a unix shell. Is this normal behaviour or not? I wouldn't know, as I have been a Windows user most of my time Smile
Stubru Freak
Gentoo is indeed quite difficult for new users.
SamiTheBerber
Stubru Freak wrote:
Gentoo is indeed quite difficult for new users.

I understood that the compiling seems to be strange to new users, Downloding the sources is much slower than downloading ready compiled binaries,

PS. This is Hardy topic Wink
andy26
Okay so i downloaded the server version of this but it wont work in Microsoft virtual PC does anyone now how to get it working? i can find lots of tutorials for the desktop version but not for the server version!
mehulved
andy26 wrote:
Okay so i downloaded the server version of this but it wont work in Microsoft virtual PC does anyone now how to get it working? i can find lots of tutorials for the desktop version but not for the server version!

Leave Microsoft Virtual PC.
Use virtualbox or VMWare Ubuntu runs much better on them.
erlendhg
mehulved wrote:
andy26 wrote:
Okay so i downloaded the server version of this but it wont work in Microsoft virtual PC does anyone now how to get it working? i can find lots of tutorials for the desktop version but not for the server version!

Leave Microsoft Virtual PC.
Use virtualbox or VMWare Ubuntu runs much better on them.


Yes indeed. Actually, I find Ms Virtual PC to run quite slowly - at least on my laptop (which of course isn't a super model).

QEmu in Ubuntu ran on the other hand very smoothly, but that, of course, wouldn't help you. I haven't got QEmu to work in Windows, but VMWare should be great Smile
andy26
Cheers this was great help i downloaded virtual box and it runs the emulators very well its much more impressive than the Microsoft virtual PC tool
Chinmoy
I need Ubuntu nvidia drivers for my nforce 610m motherboard. Ubuntu runs fine otherwise.
revani
ubuntuforums.org is a good site for asking questions. And ubuntu is the best Linux distro I have ever had. Stable, fast, even supports my bad old adsl modem Very Happy If you're not playing games, Ubuntu is the best OS.

By the way, you should use package manager to get the latest drivers. And then restricted driver options to enable it. Use glxgears to monitor your GPU performance. Should be above 1000.
tkoh
revani wrote:
ubuntuforums.org is a good site for asking questions.
...
If you're not playing games, Ubuntu is the best OS.
...


I have used ubuntu like 1 year, but now i use Gentoo, i like more gentoo than ubuntu, but one true have Revani said, UbuntuForums.org is the main ressource to you find a solution to anything needed, have a lot of users and experienced users...
But ubuntu is a good distro to play games too, if you play a Online games, ubuntu and most of distros on linux can be better than windows, more fps and lesser ping, i have seen that but i dont remeber where...
WoW is the one game we can play using Wine (a emulator) and we can get a better fps and ping.. =D
so i believe the ubuntu is a nice distro to play games =D
[FuN]goku
Ha, funny nuff, i actually gave this version of ubuntu a go on my laptop about a month ago. I was getting sick of gentoo cuz of the package manager, and since i enjoy using debian, and looooove it's package manager, i downloaded ubuntu. Actually i would have went back to debian but, i'm much too lazy to bother with the net install and i aint burning 4 dvd's or whatever it is rofl.

So i installed ubuntu, and pretty much all my drivers were installed, so i was quite stoked. Linux drivers for the Dell Inspiron 1501 are normally a pain in the ass to get working the first few times. It seems to work quite well so i think i'll stick with this for a while. Now i just need to get a new adapter for my laptop, and i'll be set to use it again.. Smile .... cheap dell adapters lmao

tkoh wrote:
WoW is the one game we can play using Wine (a emulator) and we can get a better fps and ping.. =D
so i believe the ubuntu is a nice distro to play games =D

Well, that really depends Razz i know back when i still had debian i tried playing WoW with wine, and also with cedega (linux gaming emulator) , and i didnt get an increase in fps, however, the load times did seem to be significantly faster. Actually this might of had something to do with my graphics drivers, cuz i was having problems playing some other windows games which i know people have played on linux so.. yeah. When i get my new adapter i'll give it a go on ubuntu Smile
furtasacra
I've been using Ubuntu for a few months now, and I love it - it saved me money by breathing new life into an old machine.

Furthermore, it's fast, the interface is clean and elegant, and the occasional need to use a command line doesn't bother me at all, because I'm so ancient that I learned how to use computers back in the days of DOS.

Besides, I wanted to learn Linux anyway, and what better way is there to learn than actually using it every day?
Studio Madcrow
Chinmoy wrote:
I need Ubuntu nvidia drivers for my nforce 610m motherboard. Ubuntu runs fine otherwise.

The normal NVidia drivers don't cover it?
Flarkis
the xorg nv drivers them selves are crap and do a very poor support for most nvidia cards. But unlike ATI cards we can use the old drivers withou down grading our xorg. So honnestly there is no point for not using the nvidia drivers
erlendhg
Does anyone know if Ubuntu 8 will be released with a more up-to-date kernel than 2.6.24-16.30?

I am still struggling with Ubuntu on my laptop, and have to make an own iso file using reconstructor the "improvised way" containing a newer kernel, since the current one obviously does not support my wlan card.

Still, I have a bad feeling of this, so I hope that a new release of Ubuntu will come soon, and wonder if you know anything about it.
LostOverThere
erlendhg wrote:
Does anyone know if Ubuntu 8 will be released with a more up-to-date kernel than 2.6.24-16.30?

I am still struggling with Ubuntu on my laptop, and have to make an own iso file using reconstructor the "improvised way" containing a newer kernel, since the current one obviously does not support my wlan card.

Still, I have a bad feeling of this, so I hope that a new release of Ubuntu will come soon, and wonder if you know anything about it.


As far as I know, Ubuntu 8.10 will use the 2.6.27 kernel.
AftershockVibe
If you want to know exactly then head over to the website and download one of the alpha releases for 8.10 (intrepid ibex)
LostOverThere
AftershockVibe wrote:
If you want to know exactly then head over to the website and download one of the alpha releases for 8.10 (intrepid ibex)


Yeah, but that requires effort. Its much easier to venture over to Google.
AftershockVibe
LostOverThere wrote:
AftershockVibe wrote:
If you want to know exactly then head over to the website and download one of the alpha releases for 8.10 (intrepid ibex)


Yeah, but that requires effort. Its much easier to venture over to Google.


lol, possibly - I did actually think of adding that onto the end of my post when I wrote it. I personally would prefer to just leave the thing downloading and get on with other stuff, then mount and have a peek.

Scouring forum posts and mailing list archives for kernel version numbers and trying to work out exactly which alpha version they're on about is not my idea of fun!
xcloudy
I downloaded one and burn it on a CD, but failed to start the installing from CD.
It seems that there's some file corrpted. I checked the MD5 sum of the downloaded file and found it's OK. So I'm sure there must some problem with my CD burner. What a pity! Sad
LostOverThere
xcloudy wrote:
I downloaded one and burn it on a CD, but failed to start the installing from CD.
It seems that there's some file corrpted. I checked the MD5 sum of the downloaded file and found it's OK. So I'm sure there must some problem with my CD burner. What a pity! Sad


Remember you have to burn the file as an image (.iso) file. Not a data disc.
mehulved
[quote="tkoh"]
revani wrote:
but one true have Revani said, UbuntuForums.org is the main ressource to you find a solution to anything needed, have a lot of users and experienced users...
Gentoo has much better documentation, I followed gentoo docs and wiki even in days when I used ubuntu.
Fire Boar
LostOverThere wrote:
xcloudy wrote:
I downloaded one and burn it on a CD, but failed to start the installing from CD.
It seems that there's some file corrpted. I checked the MD5 sum of the downloaded file and found it's OK. So I'm sure there must some problem with my CD burner. What a pity! Sad


Remember you have to burn the file as an image (.iso) file. Not a data disc.


Don't use Nero to burn the disk - it fails utterly.

A nice free GUI program for Windows is Active@ ISO Burner. It's about the smallest thing I could find for burning my CD without booting into Linux (which I had temporarily wiped to start afresh).
Stubru Freak
Fire Boar wrote:
LostOverThere wrote:
xcloudy wrote:
I downloaded one and burn it on a CD, but failed to start the installing from CD.
It seems that there's some file corrpted. I checked the MD5 sum of the downloaded file and found it's OK. So I'm sure there must some problem with my CD burner. What a pity! Sad


Remember you have to burn the file as an image (.iso) file. Not a data disc.


Don't use Nero to burn the disk - it fails utterly.

A nice free GUI program for Windows is Active@ ISO Burner. It's about the smallest thing I could find for burning my CD without booting into Linux (which I had temporarily wiped to start afresh).


Could you explain why? I used Nero and it worked. Maybe I was just lucky, though I don't see why Nero would fail.
chartcentral
We've had an Ubuntu training in our company recently, and I must admit I'm quite impressed with this Linux distribution. Haven't tried it out much, but I'm looking forward to it when I get the chance. It's also great that they are giving away free CD installers on their website. Hopefully mine gets delivered soon. Downloading the installer would be an option, too! Smile
Fire Boar
Stubru Freak wrote:
Fire Boar wrote:
LostOverThere wrote:
xcloudy wrote:
I downloaded one and burn it on a CD, but failed to start the installing from CD.
It seems that there's some file corrpted. I checked the MD5 sum of the downloaded file and found it's OK. So I'm sure there must some problem with my CD burner. What a pity! Sad


Remember you have to burn the file as an image (.iso) file. Not a data disc.


Don't use Nero to burn the disk - it fails utterly.

A nice free GUI program for Windows is Active@ ISO Burner. It's about the smallest thing I could find for burning my CD without booting into Linux (which I had temporarily wiped to start afresh).


Could you explain why? I used Nero and it worked. Maybe I was just lucky, though I don't see why Nero would fail.


Well, Nero often alters some parts of the disk to make room for more stuff. In some versions, this also happens when burning ISO images to the disk! Of course, this would make the disk unbootable, even if all the files are in place. I had a really bad experience when helping a friend - we decided it was doomed to fail until a third party pointed out that Nero is bad at that sort of thing.

Anyway, Ubuntu. It was the first distribution that I ever tried, and I have been using it ever since. Before then, I used Windows, so having a Linux distro has been a very pleasantly refreshing experience, one that I will certainly continue, and one that I will share with others if they are interested. The great thing is freedom. I would be perfectly happy to pay as much as Microsoft are asking for their product, for the freedom Linux offers! Being able to do exactly what I want with my computer is the best thing in the world for me. And the fact that it's free cost-wise is a huge bonus!

Linux is an advanced system for advanced users. If you're an advanced user, then Linux is the way to go. And the best place to start, in my opinion, is Ubuntu.
erlendhg
Have anyone tried the Ubuntu 8.10 beta yet?
I'm not so keen on trying the beta myself, so I rather ask if anyone here have tried it first?

If you have, what can you say about it? Is it good?

Also, I'm glad to hear that they have upgraded the kernel.
Maybe I can at last get an up-to-date version of Ubuntu that does not corrupt my wlan card's firmware...
Related topics
Install ubuntu 7.04 with ATI Radeon X1xxx series card
Uninstalling Ubuntu v7.04
Changing default keyboard on ubuntu 5.04
Sun Microsystems certifica a Ubuntu
Slow wireless in Ubuntu linux
Ubuntu on Compaq 6715b
ubuntu connection sharing
Ubuntu 8.04
Unable to Access websites in Ubuntu 8.04
Ubuntu 9.04's New Themes
Ubuntu 9.04 [random freezing].
Ubuntu 10.04 released! How are you finding it?
how to get nodoka (fedora default theme) in ubuntu 10.04
Ubuntu 11.04
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Computers -> Operating Systems

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.