FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Notepad++

kitsrock
Perhaps one of the best text editors made ever? or perhaps one of the best text editors made ever?

I first started using Notepad++ when I had to swap back and forth between multiple applications are text files. I've been hooked ever since, and use it for almost everything. In fact, I turn it on when my computer starts up, and leave it on until computer goes off. I use it for text editing, coding (mostly learning) various programming languages such as html, php, python, perl, and others.

Do you guys use Notepad++ as well? If so, what do you use it for?
If not, what alternate text editors do you use?

p.s. I was going to post link to the Notepad++ site, but they are displaying a political dissent for a certain country's something. While I do agree with them, and even if I didn't I will still love Notepad++ and they will have my full support. However, I refuse to bring that topic to this discussion which is better suited for another category in the forum. (i.e. please leave that topic out of this discussion.)
DjMilez
I use regular notepad.

Simple, but effective for my coding needs Smile
badai
i just started using it for few weeks. i noticed that the indent is a bit mess up. it will combine space with tab. it'll look fine in notepad++, but will look mess up in other text editor.

but i'll stick to it anyway.
welshsteve
For years I used regular Notepad for my coding. Then I came across Notepad2 and loved it. But when I discovered Notepad++ things just got better. It is the best text editor for coding available in my opinion. It's customisable colour code view is great, as is the ability to close blocks of code using the +/- nodes. The tabbed interface makes it great for working on more than one document at a time, plus there are extensions that can be added to it as well.

Highly recommended Applause
snowboardalliance
I like it, though I've mostly been doing c++ lately and use code::blocks for that. Still, notepad++ is the best general purpose text editor IMO
orcaz
i haf been using notepad++ for quite sometime, and its great cause it supports lots of languages. also, i like the ftp feature, where i can simply upload the file immediately without launching another ftp program to upload it.
silverdown
I been using notepad++ since someone over at phpbb.com told me it better to use it then using dreamweaver because there software encoded with UFT-7 without BOM. That was about 2-3 months ago, ever since then it's been my default web development editor. I do highly recommend at least trying it. It aslo alerts you when there is a update ( providing you allow it through your firewall).
r4inm4ker
I'm using it and i must say it's very good editor. You can customize your own syntax highlight easily, and there's a lot of nice features like auto-indent, compare, etc. So i highly recommend it especially for programmers.
Talk2Tom11
This is by far the best editor around. Everything you could possible want in a notepad... and more.
jobincantony
I am a regular user of notepad++.

It is very good and effective editor. If you are working with c, c++ or java and your IDE taking much time to open the files, it will help you.

It is compatible with almost all the languages.

But it will not support some of the capabilities of notepad Smile

You can create "logfiles" using notepad.

eg: open a new txt file
type .LOG and press enter

save the file as LOG.txt

close the file

then open the file using notepad, you will get the current date and time prefix.

But it will not work, if you pen the same with notepad++
Laughing
welshsteve
jobincantony wrote:
I am a regular user of notepad++.

It is very good and effective editor. If you are working with c, c++ or java and your IDE taking much time to open the files, it will help you.

It is compatible with almost all the languages.

But it will not support some of the capabilities of notepad Smile

You can create "logfiles" using notepad.

eg: open a new txt file
type .LOG and press enter

save the file as LOG.txt

close the file

then open the file using notepad, you will get the current date and time prefix.

But it will not work, if you pen the same with notepad++
Laughing

There is a plugin you can apply to enable that feature. You can get it here:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=189927&package_id=275290

Smile
mattyj
I use UltraEdit...been using for years and i like it Smile
yman
I use for editing Notepad++ because is a very complex program and support languages like C; C++; Java; C#; XML; HTML; PHP; CSS; makefile ASCII art (.nfo); doxygen ini file and other. Olso you can edit several documents at the same time. I got it from here: Notepad++
Da Rossa
Notepad++ is one of the best things. The problem is that, I don't know why, I don't trust the developer. My feeling says that it's gonna be discontinued soon, while I believe that he doesn't want to make more improvements. Anyway... sometimes the applications reach their zenith, what means that they don't need anything else... NPP is almost there imo.

My option is TextPad 5.
Kelcey
Notepad++ worked excellent for programming. I could import little syntax like files that helped me color my code.
dalibor
It works good.
Pepperfan
I haven't used Notepad++. Though what you gus are saying sounds interesting.

I use and love Crimson Editor http://www.crimsoneditor.com/. It is fast and has syntax files for all the programming I do. I especially like the code highlighting and that if I make a change elsewhere it can tell and will update it.

Charles
legion
Yeah it's excellent for programming. I used it when I worked with PHP and HTML all day. Forget about Dreamweaver, this is far better and free Cool
Arseniy
I use Notepad 2, which is very similar to Notepad ++, I think. Works great for me Smile
TheOnionRack
I like Notepad++, but I think it is a little over the top, and isn't very handy if you are trying to code a large project. I like IDEs because they help you keep your project organized. Dreamweaver for websites; Eclipse for Java; IDLE for Python and DarkRoom and Notepad (Win32) for everything else.
rockacola
I think the major reason I did not adopt notepad++ is because I need to install it Surprised

I'm using notepad2, which is another syntax highlight, feature rich text editor. It's a standalone exe, does not require install nor modification to registry... very handy when I need to remote desktop to servers that have no application software installed (and does not wish to have).
jackill
Notepad++ also comes as standalone aplication. You don't need to install it, but it's more than one file Wink
alappuzhakaran
Ha I love NP++ and you know what I use that for all except the coloumn edit feature.. for that i rely on ultra dit.... other than that its one of the pure magic, with a good interface and lotta fx's in it Smile
Chinmoy
notepad ++ is quite good for quick editing.
realtrue
I use it also, it is great software. i have try jedit, but i think notepad++ is faster. I like it because it can make several programming keyword like C++, php html much more easy to read.
rockacola
jackill wrote:
Notepad++ also comes as standalone aplication. You don't need to install it, but it's more than one file Wink

Oh! good to know that!

Just had a look of 'zip format' on their website, appearently upgrading process for 'zip format' isn't as friendly and installer format is just the way to go Surprised
FunDa
I use notepad++ and have replaced the default notepad with it.

Very useful if you frequently edit code of htm pages and java and what not.

The highlighting is especially useful to prevewnt lots of stupid errors where u miss a dot or a semicolon and waste hours trying to find out what went wrong
WarhammerLeagues
I use OneNote by MS for all note taking. It is the best for storing and keeping them in the correct place, but I would not code with it. I use plain old notepad for that.
silverdown
Yes it is a great editor, however there are a lot of great editors out there you just have to find the one you fancy. I like editpad pro, even thought i have to buy a license I still like it.
bigt
Great program to use to edit code. I have spent many hours using it.
hummer010
Pepperfan wrote:
I haven't used Notepad++. Though what you gus are saying sounds interesting.

I use and love Crimson Editor http://www.crimsoneditor.com/. It is fast and has syntax files for all the programming I do. I especially like the code highlighting and that if I make a change elsewhere it can tell and will update it.

Charles

I've used Crimson Editor quite a bit. The only thing I use it for though is editing doc's via ftp, which is super cool.

Otherwise, I always use Context. I've been using it for years, and have a really hard time using anything else.
chevaliers-citadelle
Persponally, i use quite Geany, but i find notepad ++ is also great editor. I am under Ubuntu Linux, so notepad ++ can't run. But there is a lot of great editors under Linux.

http://www.geany.org/
jsfdan
I love using it to edit. It's free and supports many languages!
amperx
nice program, very useful and light ;D
biljap
This program is very useful. I use it for editing different types of files, starting from ordinary text files, to XML, CSS, HTML, JavaScript… It is really good program and my default editor. I use Notepad only for simple viewing of files, but even then I switch to Notepad++ if I need to see structure and formatting of text. Wink
rohan
normal notepad is very good why shd u have ++
welshsteve
rohan wrote:
normal notepad is very good why shd u have ++

Because you can do so much more.

If you use Notepad for coding, Notepad++ will colour code your tags etc, making it easier to read. It also has a tabbed interface, allowing you to have more than one file open at a time in the same window.
Flakky
Notepad is actually enough for me. I usually hit Windows+R and type Notepad and it opens quick enough to write the things I was thinking about that moment. I have no need for something more complicated. For coding I don't need it since the program itself does a syntax check by default.
FunDa
Earlier ( I think it was in win98 ) normal notepad used to be unable to open slightly larger files. And it would ask us to open in wordpad instead. But now notepad is enugh for basic plain text editin.

But when you have html or c, java, or such code - ++ is very useful
toxictux
dont like the colors and UI too much. i have been a long time user of Edit plus. works great... for heavy development work i use Komod Edit. great tool for free. heavy on the system resources though.

but for regular file edits also, i use Edit Plus. very lightweight. and loads any kind of file without a problem.
misterXY
When you're switching between pc's daily, using a thumbdrive:
install JDK
Get the API (optional)
Notepad++ portable (www.portableapps.com)
Best way for my needs, since E-mail and even FTP are blocked off even when using proxy's, just too slow. Smile
FunDa
Wow, there are so many other good software that does the same thing better.

Have to check them out - Editplus looks good.
misterXY
FunDa wrote:

But is it portable?
ddukki
FunDa wrote:

Just out of curiosity, which ones? I'm looking for a good, intuitive, code editor, and Notepad ++ is the only one that's applicable so far. This is by no means a sarcastic question.
cooolx
very good!
misterXY
ddukki wrote:
FunDa wrote:

Just out of curiosity, which ones? I'm looking for a good, intuitive, code editor, and Notepad ++ is the only one that's applicable so far. This is by no means a sarcastic question.

Well here's a list of free opensource text editors, http://tinyurl.com/z48sl , l've alost used Textpad as my favourite, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Textpad . l believe you can use it unlimited on free version, but it's only for windows aswell.
jsfdan
I used to use Notepad++. It was free, reliable, and stylish. Now, I've gotten serious with my coding. I bought a license to phpDesigner. Smile
invizibility
No offence or post highjack intended but I'd recommend Notepad2. Simple and effective and does everything under the sun. Smile

I
Marte
Editpad Lite is a freeware editor, opens huge files (I'm talking about GB of information), with small footprint.

In unix my I love is sed. sed simply rulezzzzz!
thedinh
amperx wrote:
nice program, very useful and light ;D

You said rieght. I have used Notepad ++ for along time. It is realy good progame i have used.
by Notepad ++ you can edit very much file types, ex. PHP, ASP... with a nice interface.
all i can say, it's realy for IT programer.
Do You thinh so ???
FunDa
invizibility wrote:
No offence or post highjack intended but I'd recommend Notepad2. Simple and effective and does everything under the sun. Smile

I

I used to think both of them were the same.

Only recently did I find ou that I was wrong