FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

asking the asians: could you do without rice?

Could you do without rice for a long time?
Yes
21%
 21%  [ 5 ]
No
30%
 30%  [ 7 ]
Only for a short time
39%
 39%  [ 9 ]
I don't eat rice
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 23

vanille
I've noticed a trend in diets/medical articles advising Asians to lessen their rice intake. I myself want to lose weight so I've been trying not to eat rice during dinner meals. And it's hard! See, I'm really used to rice with every meal. I'm also used to balancing the taste of my meat with the taste of rice.

(I don't know what the Western equivalent of rice in meals would be. Is there even one?)
driftingfe3s
I could go for a long time without rice. If you want to lose weight, try replacing your rice with vegtables. If you really want rice switch to brown rice. It is more nutritious and has around three times more fiber than white rice, and a high fiber diet helps lose weight.
vanille
Thanks for the advice! Very Happy
I've heard about golden rice, does it have any good nutritional value? I've tried brown rice before and I also liked it a lot. The taste is 'earthier' and I think even the color change is interesting. Haha.
gr8inferno
I'm a Filipino and yes I used to eat loads of rice 3x a day but I cut back and found alternatives. White rice has very high glycemic, I usually replace them with pasta, sweet spuds, wild rice etc. yes fruits and vegs are ok. but once in a while you just gonna have rice. see moderation is the key.
vineeth
Rice is not bad when in is consumed with care. It is true that many asians used to eat lots of rice, especially housewives. The reason is, at the end of the meals, after everyone finished their food, they are so worried of wasting food and stores all the waste to their stomach!!!!

Yes, its a matter of concern...
Drawingguy
I wouldn't say my culture's especially asian, but the ethnicity's there, and we do eat a lot of rice. Could I live without it? Yeah. Could I live without carbs as a whole? Probably not. But as it's been mentioned, brown rice is a lot better for you. Personally, I'm not too fond of it- it's kind of nutty, and after a while, the flavor starts to annoy me.
loryl
Golden rice is a genetically modified variant of normal rice. It produces beta-carotene (hence its color), a precursor of vitamin A. Its consumption is encouraged in the poorer Asian countries, where lack of the vitamin often results in blindness. Other than that, it's just rice. If you want a healthy diet, you'll have to eat more than just rice (golden or regular variety) and exercise regularly.
akh-international
< Golden rice is a genetically modified variant of normal rice. It produces beta-carotene (hence its color), a precursor of vitamin A. Its consumption is encouraged in the poorer Asian countries, where lack of the vitamin often results in blindness. Other than that, it's just rice. If you want a healthy diet, you'll have to eat more than just rice (golden or regular variety) and exercise regularly>

I have seen alot of Asians. all can not be happy if their meals do not have rice... Very Happy
Afaceinthematrix
Well I'm not Asian but I eat rice several times a week. I would be able to eat it everyday. I love rice. I could live without it, but I see no reason not to eat it.
crimson_aria
I don't know if I could go for days without rice. Maybe not. i could lessen it but I couldn't go on a whole week without it.. xD just like what gr8inferno said, you got to have rice once in a while.
anmuthu
It is not possible for me to live without rice. My dietician told me that to reduce wight and reduce tummy, I need to reduce my rice intake and have more wheat foods.

I usually eat rice twice every day ( afternoon and during dinner). Now I have to stop eating at night. I dont know how Im going to survive. But I have a goal to reduce my weight. So I will have to stick on to my goal and reduce my rice intake and have more veges.

How pity.
selevan
Eat potatoes.. but i dont know if they are better in diet than rice Razz
deanhills
selevan wrote:
Eat potatoes.. but i dont know if they are better in diet than rice Razz

Potatoes are also high on the glycemic scale if you eat it without the skin. Best is to bake potatoes and eat it with skin. They say most of the vitamins and minerals are just below the skin. And if you really want to loose weight it is best to eat as little as possible of the white insides of the potato.

These days health food experts recommend sweet potatoes as a better option. Apparently it is higher in fibre. Also best to eat it with the skin on. And of course to keep added fats such as butter to the minimum. A little can go a long way if you add a few table spoons of water with it.

Vegetables are a good alternative to grains. They provide bulk and plenty of vitamins and minerals. Good to eat a variety every day and to vary it from one day to the other so that you do not get stuck on only one vegetable. Best of course is to eat organic, and if unavailable fresh or frozen vegetables rather than canned. Canned vegetables usually have loads of salt. Also the vitamins and minerals are much less. Taste is also completely different.

Drinking loads of water helps as well.
my_love
i suggest black rice also for you to lose those extra weight...an apple and oatmeal on the morning will keep you fill up until lunch so you can eat a little on this time...at night maybe a steamed chicken breast with dressing (mayo and ketchup will do) and some greens is already filling (you need not eat much at night because its sleeping time)..von apetite! Smile
chi0
I'm not Asian, but I do live in Japan. And I'm trying to lose weight. Razz Really hard with so much yummy food around!!

What I do, though, is halve my rice amount per meal, and replace it with a salad or other vegetables. It seems to be working so far (although slowly), and you still get a bit of rice if you love it that much! Very Happy
loyal
vanille wrote:
I've noticed a trend in diets/medical articles advising Asians to lessen their rice intake. I myself want to lose weight so I've been trying not to eat rice during dinner meals. And it's hard! See, I'm really used to rice with every meal. I'm also used to balancing the taste of my meat with the taste of rice.

(I don't know what the Western equivalent of rice in meals would be. Is there even one?)

According to iraqis, a meal without rice isn't considered a true meal! lol
nigam
I can't live without rice! It is part of my daily meal everyday... You know, most of us Filipinos can't lived without it. We usually eat rice 3 times a day and sometimes our snack time is with rice too!
ssthanapati
cant live without it.. so have reduced the amount of rice intake
talk2me
rice is eating world over as part of a main meal 0nce or twice daily from middle east , Asia, and of course Latin America

rice is not something part of Asian main meal.
kitsrock
I was used to eating rice 3x a day up until highschool (while I lived with my parents), but as I moved out for university my diet changed dramatically. Out of convenience and time concern my diet changed towards sandwiches and instant food.

I still have rice 2-3x a day when I go back home for holidays.
loyal
Where was rice originally grown? What's its history?

Peace.
raine dragon
I'm not Asian, but being a college student in the United States I eat a fairly limited diet because of cost/time concerns. I would say that the Western version of rice is pasta or bread. Most standard western meals have pasta, bread, or potatoes as the starch. Pasta is mainly made from Semolina Flour (Wheat Flour).

For those who really like rice, you can substitute in Orzo Pasta :: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orzo
It's a little bigger than rice, and it won't stick together like rice does. It's also a little softer and moister. The taste is slightly different, but it's fairly mild. There are a lot of western recipes which mix equal parts of Orzo and Rice together... I think I actually have a packet of instant Orzo and Rice with seasoning in my kitchen. ^_^

Another alternative is to pick a sort of pasta you like (I like to use fusilli) and top it with steamed veggies (like broccoli, peas, carrots, etc) and a little Parmesan cheese. You can add some cooked chicken to it if you want.

Capellini de Angelo is always a good pasta, it's like a skinny Spaghetti, and is called 'Angel Hair' here. I sometimes will add veggies and cheese to this too.

Overall, focusing on adding more green vegetables and lean meats should help with weight loss in general. ^_^
mikakiev
I can do without rice,but I feel more comfortable when I eat it.
littleladyluck
Rice forms part of my daily diet (well, most often than rarely)..it would indeed bizarre to cut off rice completely from my diet.. I don't eat much of it, but I appreciate some rice in a meal... not always though.
MatthijsM90
I dont eat rice... i think all the times it are worms ... i love everything that lives on the planet so i dont eat it if i think it are worms XD
yunting
i'm asian and i eat rice for my whole life but i don't really like it. and yup, i could go without it for days. and when i'm a child i totally detest it, till this day i only eat like 2 spoonful of rice during dinner. haha. but i'm okay with japanese pearl rice. brown rice is disgusting.
paskifire
I'm on a diet so i decided to reduce the amount of rice that i will eat. For dinner, 5 spoons of rice is enough for me hahaha! BTW, I'm an Asian
sciencegto
I eat a lots of rice and luckily my weight still maintain. Maybe because I do a lot of outdoor activities such as playing football.
deanhills
I don't understand. Why would it be wrong to eat rice? I thought it was quite a healthy staple?
mikakiev
Rice can be cooked in many different ways so every day you can have a different meal from rice.
furtasacra
Heck, I'm not even Asian and I can't do without rice! Aside from rice being cheap and filling, I was raised in a rice-eating family... seriously, you can have ten kinds of bread, pasta, and potatoes on the table, but if these people don't see a pot of rice they think you're trying to starve them to death. Dirty rice, beans and rice, chicken and rice, rice and gravy, chili and rice, gumbo and rice, rice rice rice!
loyal
Hey,

What's rice made from anyway? The same thing as bread and pasta right? Hmmm...they don't look or taste the same though.