FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Meat eaters





truespeed
If you had to kill the animals would you still eat meat?
gh0stface
Yes.

I may be disgusted at first for killing the animal and gutting the animal, however after a while it will become routine. The disgust factor will fade out and will become an after thought.
Aless
Yes, definitely. In fact, I think it would make me respect what I was eating more...I disagree far less with people who hunt for food than buying meat in a supermarket. I think the Western world has lost a lot of its connection with food.
Vladalf
Yes I would still eat it. It's something normal, the body needs what meat has. Animals eat animals too, it's part of the natural cycle. Tough we don't need to hunt more than we need and bring species to extinction.
-Vladalf
datter
I eat a lot less than I used to these days, but although I'd like to think I'd answer yes just to accept full responsibility for the action I suspect I'd be eating meat pretty infrequently.
Seiji
I don't know, I doubt it. Small matters make me lose my appetite so if I was the one killing them I would probably be too disgusted to eat meat. I read "Fast Food Nation" and it took me awhile to start eating McDonalds again.
Guelila
Yes.
If I had the skills to thoroughly gut it, why not? Smile
Insanity
If I had to kill the animal myself, I probably wouldn't subject it to the same treatment that meat processing plants do. I might feel less guilty if I could kill it more humanely than if I had to eat the meat that is packaged from plants. But yes, I probably still would eat meat.
dual75
Probably I won't but eventually I could get used to it. Most of the sufferings are due to the way animals are raised, not to the way they are killed.
MrBlueSky
Propably not. Not because I would have a problem with it, but because I'm too lazy. Also, from some meat I don't want to be remembered what the original animal looked like. Knowing the meat I'm eating comes from a filthy, stinky, crapping cow is not good for my appetite.
kreative
i live in a small village and i have to kill the chicken, before eatin´ Smile there is nothing hard on it, and it will not become massacre, i am not a serial killer, just a hungry man SmileSmileSmile
Peterssidan
If fish counts I do it sometimes when I go out fishing (which isn't very often nowadays). Eating it is no problem. hunting have never attracted me so I never go out and hunt my food. My father hunt Elk sometimes and it's no problem eating it. I don't think it matter to me if I was the one that killed the animal if I would. I can still eat it. It doesn't make the meat any harm.

If killing an animal is right and wrong is another question.
Gieter
Yes, wouldn't have a problem with the "oldskool" way to prepare your food.
endless
i would also kill them if i needed to, i already saw some animal killing on tv and on internet, and it looked pretty cool. and i don't care if it's me who kills it, or someone else, it will be killed anyway Rolling Eyes
Zombie
No I wouldn't and I know someone who only eats what they could kill... like fish and such. However, I feel that the nutrition gained from eating meat isn't worth boycotting it because I'm not a hunter. That's why we had hunters and shoemakers blacksmiths and such in the past... not everyone is cut out for killing, so we just do what we're good at
snowboardalliance
truespeed wrote:
If you had to kill the animals would you still eat meat?


In the way you asked, yes, I would still eat it. However I would be grossed out to actually prepare the food. (but I could do it if I had to).
Masacchi
I probably wouldn't be able to bring myself to kill the animals, but if I had to, I'd eat them so they wouldn't go to waste and their death be meaningless.
Liu
Yerp I would.
karysky
Yes I would eat it.

But believe me, only extreme situations could convince me to kill an animal. I don't even kill flies and mosquitos, I just push them away from me.

If I had to kill one, I'd make it the painless possible death for the animal.
mattyj
I love killing my own food for eating (Rabbits, Fish, etc)

It makes the food taste even better i feel

I have never slaughtered a cow/sheep/pig for eating but i wouldnt have a problem with doing so
miacps
truespeed wrote:
If you had to kill the animals would you still eat meat?


Yes. I've caught and cleaned fish before so its no biggie, though killing land animals for food would be a new experience.

If I don't have protein on a regular basis, I start getting hypoglycemia. If I had no source of meat other than some ducks waddling around, I'd club the biggest one and feast. ..I'm making myself hungry..
Helios
Well, I had to kill animals to eat them. It's called hunting. Done that, and I see nothing wrong with it.
Nothing's better than fresh meat Smile
coolclay
Killing, and butchering is the only way I eat meat. I am absolutely disgusted by the way animals are treated in large slaughter houses, and factory farms. I am basically a vegetarian unless the meat comes from a family farm, I kill it, or I know who killed it.

This is a quote from a paper I wrote

Quote:
Death is necessary for life; you can not have one and not the other. Death is as much a part of life as living. My parents taught me that fact early in my life. Death has been hidden by our modern convenient lifestyles. No longer do we need to kill first hand to obtain meat to live. The grocery store and the fast food restaurant are right down the road. By taking death out of our lives, we in fact become less like humans and more like machines. Our automated, convenient lifestyles have turned us into little more then thinking and operating robots. We eat at prescribed times of the day. We get our food handed to us on a plate. We get our water handed to us in a cup. We have no concept that an animal had to loose its life to give us life. By this process we take advantage of food, we have no respect for food, and what went into producing it. We throw it away without a second thought. I hunt so that I understand what goes into the food that gives me life, I hunt so I don’t become a socialized robot, I hunt to help me understand that I am simply part of the Earth, and nothing more.


You can read the rest of the paper here

http://www.coolclay.info/WhyIHunt.html
tony
yes, but i would probably eat a lot less meat per any given time. Seeing the animal in pain or hurting would turn me off pretty fast to the action. i figure i could live without meat too if i had to. although...hehehe - i wouldn't want to! haha - i like my beef, pork, chicken, fish, etc! it's good stuff and put here for us to eat, IMO. just what i think; dont take no harm.
BPrice
yes yes yes yes I would still eat meat if i had to kill the animals or not but i think i would have to find a fast way to kill the animal because i would not be able to kill them slowly I think that would be to dificult for me to handle but I probely would still eat it.

one thing i would never do is kill a animal and not eat what i could of it as that would be a pointless waste of the animal.

give me a gun some bullets and a fire and I would kill and eat a meat meal.
ThornsOfSorrow
If I actually needed to kill an animal in order to eat it, then no, I don't think I'd be able to eat meat anymore. I once cried hysterically because I thought I hit a rabbit with my car. Even when I turned around and saw that it was okay, I still couldn't stop crying, even though hitting him/her would have only been an accident. I can't even imagine how upset I would be if I had to purposely kill an animal.

I know that by buying eating meat I'm still killing a living creature, even if it's indirect, but looking at a slab of lifeless meat isn't the same as seeing a cow or a pig standing in front of you. A hamburger can't stare at you with big, sad-looking eyes. I know that a lot of vegetarians don't believe that meat-eaters can be animal lovers, but I literally wouldn't hurt a fly (When I find bugs in my house, I catch them and put them outside instead of killing them), so I would definitely stop eating meat if I had to even look at my food when it was still alive.
Ghost Rider103
Yes, deffiniately.

There is nothing better than a nice steak and potatoes. If I worked for the steak myself, it would be much more rewarding, and I wouldn't be worried about where the meat has been before it reaches my plate.

It might be better actually. I could also pick the piece of steak I want, meaning hopefully no fat!
Nameless
Yes. Meat is tasty, and good for you, and the extra effort it would take to kill the animals myself would be worth maintaining my current diet for.
Shewolf
Aless wrote:
Yes, definitely. In fact, I think it would make me respect what I was eating more...I disagree far less with people who hunt for food than buying meat in a supermarket. I think the Western world has lost a lot of its connection with food.


Indeed. Just reading how people here (who obviously eat meat, or they would have stated it clare if they did not) are eating meat, but refuse to kill it themselves, is quite impressing.
Still, I am against the killing of whales. But I find them tasting delicious... Hey, it's already dead, right?

I've been fishing a lot during my childhood Summers. And nothing tastes better than freshly fried fish on a toast, yet I did feel sad by taking their life. They had nothing to defend themselves, so it was never a "fair fight". Only my good, and their bad luck.

So, in general. If you are aware of what you are doing while eating meat in the first place, I don't suppose you would have any problems killing your own food. But remember, who did ever say that a plant or fruit is less alive than a rabbit? - Just because a plant does not (normally) have eyes.
apple
Right now I hardly eat meat cause it makes me sick. Physically sick.

So it would nto bother me at all as I'd not have any meat.

However if I had to eat it for survival then I'd have no problem killing the animals.
standready
Yes! I enjoy hunting. I use a bow because there is no real sport in using a gun. What drives me crazy is those that kill for the sport of it and not for food. That is just senseless killing.
coolclay
I agree 100%.
Arnie
Probably not because it'd take too much effort compared to getting the meat from the store?
erlendhg
[quote="Aless"]Yes, definitely. In fact, I think it would make me respect what I was eating more...quote]

That was wise words. I have to agree with that. Yes, I would have had big problems killing animals at first, but I guess after a while...
Futile
I would still be able to eat meat. All my of my family are avid hunters. I do not hunt as much as they do, but I would not have an issue or second thought about having to hunt and kill in order to eat. My favorite combo is meat and potatoes. It is a little hard to have meat and potatoes with no meat
xtupie
Yes I would.

Most of us here in South Africa have grown up on farms or have been on a farm when they are slaughtering animals, as long as it is done humane it is not a problem.

We also hunt a lot here and the only way to get wild meat into your diet is to shoot the buck yourself and skin it and take it to a butcher to process the meat.
deanhills
My spontaneous response to this very direct question is "definitely no". I cannot immagine myself killing an animal. I have never done that in my life before. I am uncomfortable with this. However after reading all the postings and thinking about it a little I think if my life depended on it, i.e. it is killing of the animal vs my own survival, then my thinking would change completely, yes, I would do it.

I like Coolclay's reasoning, that is super cool Smile Am definitely going to read the rest of the paper, thank you for posting the link.

Quote:
Death is necessary for life; you can not have one and not the other. Death is as much a part of life as living. My parents taught me that fact early in my life. Death has been hidden by our modern convenient lifestyles. No longer do we need to kill first hand to obtain meat to live. The grocery store and the fast food restaurant are right down the road. By taking death out of our lives, we in fact become less like humans and more like machines. Our automated, convenient lifestyles have turned us into little more then thinking and operating robots. We eat at prescribed times of the day. We get our food handed to us on a plate. We get our water handed to us in a cup. We have no concept that an animal had to loose its life to give us life. By this process we take advantage of food, we have no respect for food, and what went into producing it. We throw it away without a second thought. I hunt so that I understand what goes into the food that gives me life, I hunt so I don’t become a socialized robot, I hunt to help me understand that I am simply part of the Earth, and nothing more.


All of it feels true. I am certain that if I had to forge for my own food, instead of throwing things into a trolley, then I would have more respect for it, and probably for me too. The hunting will probably make me sharper, more focussed and leaner as well Smile
ankitdatashn
First of all I should tell that I am a pure vegetarian eater, I am an animal lover, so that itself answers the query that I cannot eat animals coz I can never kill animals.

It may sound outrageous but I want to kill all the people who kill animals or eat meat (if men can kill animals then why not men can kill men, no one can justify killing anyone whether human or animal)

So live and let live!!
deanhills
Quote:
It may sound outrageous but I want to kill all the people who kill animals or eat meat (if men can kill animals then why not men can kill men, no one can justify killing anyone whether human or animal)


I think there is a difference in species here. It is perfectly natural for a lion to hunt down a buck, as nature intended, as the lion's survival depends on the killing and eating of the buck. The same with human beings. It is unnatural though, and probably a very rare occurence for one lion to hunt another lion for food, kill and eat it. Think the killing of my own species would hold serious ethical issues for me.
deanhills
Thanks Clayton, I enjoyed the paper, well worth reading:

http://www.coolclay.info/WhyIHunt.html
Arnie
ankitdatashn wrote:
I want to kill all the people who kill animals or eat meat
...
So live and let live!!
Congratulations, you win the Frihost Hypocrite of the Year prize!

It was a fierce competition though...
elmariohusha
I dont know why some people dont eat meat...
meat is very important for energy if you only each green's sure its good for you but what if you have to much?
meet in rio
Yes, of course. It's a shame we're (mostly) so distanced from the slaughter process. I've never been too keen on the sound of wailing animals, because they really do sound like children (cue all sorts of Silence of the Lambs references) and there's that whole maternal instinct with which to battle.

That said, I barely eat any meat. One little sheep in the deep freeze would probably last me all year.
ptfrances
Some of yours have tried Argentinian meat ?

It's the best I ever ate.
If you can, just taste it

Wink
Srs2388
I would still eat meat if i had to kill it.
I don't like fruits and veggies too much. wouldn't really have a choice.
lol.
ashish2005
I am a big fan of meat. I love to eat meat and I just hate vegetable. But when I eat meat I like to think that an animal did not die for it.

If I had to kill to eat meat I would never be able to eat it. Even if I saw an animal being killed and it's meat being provided to me I cannot eat it. And I also cannot eat meat of an animal which I see it living and today and tomorrow it's dead and supplied as meat.
neogrinch
I love meat, but I don't want to see the live animal I eat. I have a hard time finishing a steak even if I see a big vein pop up out of it when I cut into it. Don't know why I am like that. I definitely could not eat an animal I killed. In fact, I don't think I could purposely kill an animal.
hlavco
I'd kill it and eat it. I'd never go hunting for sport, that's just not right.
Margery
If i'd be the one to kill it....yuck... But if it's cooked, of course i'll still eat meat.
driftingfe3s
If I actually had to hunt the animal and kill it I think I would enjoy eating it more. I spent hard work and effort to take the animal down, so I would eat it with pride! Plus it taste too good to not eat.
sheedatali
Certainly, it has taunted me when I had to see an animal being butchered, however I love meat if it is not done in front of me. I think the point is that on a concious level, I feel bad however the physical needs of the body take over what the actuall feeling is. It probably is a personal preference.
Yantaal
makes me lol when people say kill an animal humanely.

Also as a vegan, the wayi see things, i woudl only kill an animal if my life depended on it. otherwisei ts killing for greed. so no, i probably wouldnt.
BugBear
Yes I'd still eat meat.. and probably enjoy it more as it would be fresh and if I'd be the one growing the meat it wouldn't have steriods or whatever else they feed them.
sonam
@elmariohusha
Quote:
dont know why some people dont eat meat...
meat is very important for energy if you only each green's sure its good for you but what if you have to much?


This is little bit offtopic, but I must write something. Meat will not bring energy in your body. Meat will bring agresion in your body what is different from energy. If you are eating good, quality and selective vegetarian food you will get more energy then from meat. I am vegetarian aproximatelly 20 years and I can work 10 or more hours daily without any problem. Conclusion: I am absolutely sure I cannot kill any animal just for food.

@ankitdatashn
Quote:
It may sound outrageous but I want to kill all the people who kill animals or eat meat.


You will kill because someone killing, then someother will kill you, and then your brother will kill them... Where is the end of killing? This is not good way for saving animals. It is much better to keep cool mind and peacefull in your hard. You cannot change theirs karma because they have theirs own way.

Sonam
tony
in my post above, did i mention sushi?? haha; i believe I failed although you can include it in fish Razz

mmmm...sushi!
Drawingguy
Let's see...if I had to kill the animals, I'd probably eat meat a lot less, but nevertheless, I still think I'd eat it.

For me, just eating oysters, and seeing what I "think" is the poop, for lack of a better word, and trying to clean it out, turns me off from it, but I still eat the oysters, because I like the taste. So I think if I saw the more unappealing parts of the animal, and had to skin it, and clean it all the time, I'd probably be less enticed than if, say, I just got to see a juicy hamburger covered with crisp tomatoes and onions.


I also think the laziness would have something to do with it. It's funny, but true- if I had to spend so much longer on a meal, I probably would start hating its regular preparation.

As it is now, I'm not too big a fan of meat...I hate seeing the fat, and I don't always like the texture, but I still enjoy it every now and then. So I'll say it again: if I had to kill the animal, I wouldn't give meat up entirely, but instead of 'every now and then' it'd probably be more like 'once in a blue moon.'
Zombie
Thats my dad's philosophy... if you cant kill it dont eat it. But, I pretty much think I could kill cows and pigs, but skinning them and everything is another story.
Srs2388
I have hunted with my dad a few times (years ago) before I had to get a hunting license.
I've used a bow and a gun.
I used a bow for deer hunting... used a gun for rabbit and other things like that... dove.
It isn't a "redneck" thing as some people think. It's natural. how it was done before.
smspno
I hate the taste of meat so I prefer eating vegetables to meat. And If to happened to me to kill an animal, I would not eat it.
zjosie729
I would eat it but I'd feel really bad for having killed it.
friuser
If i had to kill the animal to eat it I would. In fact I would probably eat even more meat in that situation if I could. It's the same back in the day when meat and produce wasn't around. If you have heard the stories from your parents/grandparents than you would value the meat you are eating.
PatTheGreat42
Yes.

Also, "meat eaters" is an anagram for "Teaser Team"
Thumpercats
I eat meat all the time.

If I had to kill the animal, I would still eat the meat. There is no reason to let food go to waste. I know vegeterians are looking at this like hes crazy, but come on really.... People were made to eat meat, most animals eat meat. It don't matter who killed it other animals will come up and eat meat.
pretty-dreamz
Of course I would still eat meat. It's a source of protein.
EyesBlu
I absolutely would but am glad I don't have to. I respect intelligent life, I do not empathize with stupid creatures like cows and chickens. Vegetarians, you are not better than me because you use electricity and roads, and live in towns and cities. Animals die for these things.
AFriedman
I don't eat meat, but not because of the killing issue--because I'm uncomfortable with the idea of the animals being raised in cramped conditions in factory farms. If I had to kill the animal myself, maybe I would be more likely to eat it, not less.
gladius1978
Of course.

In fact I already have. We once bought a pig from a farm, and walked it home. Then we slit its throat with a knife and watched it bleed to death through its neck of course. This makes for a relatively no blood within the animal because the blood pumps out of the neck. Then we gutted it, stuck a spit through its rectum to its mouth and tied it up and had one hell of a pig roast the next day. mmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmm good. Then we gave the head to the dog, which she thoroughly enjoyed.
Libby
I would actually feel a lot better about eating meat if I raised and killed the animal myself. But I probably couldn't kill anything besides like chickens and fish.
Firilacroco
It depends. If I'll have to kill pets or something else I won't.
dawidplet
If I was the one to kill the animal, I wouldn't do it...

I did kill fish to eat but I would not dare to kill any other animal.

Althought all organisms need to eat meat, if they didn't they wouldn't be able to survive
throughthefire
Quote:
Althought all organisms need to eat meat, if they didn't they wouldn't be able to survive

All organisms do not need to eat meat to survive. I've been vegetarian since I was 9 and vegan for the past 5 years. How have I and the hundreds of thousands of vegans and millions of vegetarians been surviving? Most of us are healthier than meat eaters because we know that we have to watch our nutritional intake. We don't eat the amount of saturated/trans fats that meat eaters do, which lowers our risk of high blood pressure and heart problems. Vegetarians/vegans are also known to live longer.
I hope I don't come off as lecturing anyone or being pushy, I just wanted to correct that statement. I really dislike the "in your face, I'm better than you" veggie eaters, and would hate to be thought of as one.

I'd only be able to eat an animal if I had no other choice of surviving and I'd kill it the quickest, least painful way possible.
carlospro7
Yeah i would. When I was younger and lived elsewhere and not in the US, this was not uncommon. I never killed the animal, but I did see it alive before it was killed. However, I'd probably be disgusted at first, if I had to kill it, but I probably still would.
Stef1508
I would, if I had the skill I'd have no problem doing it cos thats nature!

I go to the farms about 20 min drive from the town were I live and they do it all there (they don't actually let you watch them kill 'em but they show EVERYTHING else.)
RedRackham
truespeed wrote:
If you had to kill the animals would you still eat meat?


Yes, used to work in slaughter house, or an Abattoir if you want to be posh. I wont pretend it was pleasant work but hey ho, we have to earn a crust. My wife eats meat but she says if she had to watch an animal being killed she would never eat meat again, personally I think all meat eaters should see how meat gets to the plate.
vvforgs
Yes. I've caught and cleaned fish before so its no biggie, though killing land animals for food would be a new experience.

If I don't have protein on a regular basis, I start getting hypoglycemia. If I had no source of meat other than some ducks waddling around, I'd club the biggest one and feast. ..I'm making myself hungry..
ptfrances
I'm not really a meat eaters.
psycosquirrel
truespeed wrote:
If you had to kill the animals would you still eat meat?


Yes.

And I have.

I have caught fish, gutted them, and ate them over a campfire. Same with deer.

Delicious.
gullip
Of course. I can't live without meat Razz Proteins ftw.
Firilacroco
gullip wrote:
Of course. I can't live without meat Razz Proteins ftw.


Eat soja instead and you'll feel a little bit better Laughing
adri
Yeah why not eat animals that you killed...
I wouldn't feel anything if I would kill one... there are plenty of cows, chickens, pigs in the world...
blackfish
Seiji wrote:
I read "Fast Food Nation" and it took me awhile to start eating McDonalds again.


i once saw this undercover exposition where kfc employees were viciously and brutally jumping on chickens to break their limbs to "make the chickens easier to handle". i completely boycott kfc after watching that.

kfc chicken is all processed meat anyway, so it was no big loss. church's pwns!
Related topics
Vegetarianism
Wiccan?
Vegetarianism
Vegetarian Lifestyle
Christmas Ideas
how dinosaurs disappared from the world?
Why a vegetarian diet is healthier than eating meat
Lawyer Says Man Sorry for Beheading Duck
Homosexuality
Torturing animals
"And God said..."
Go Veg to Save the Loving Atmosphere of the Planet
Why is Vegetarian Diet the best for all....
Its offensive to me if you eat cow
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> General Chat

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.