FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Easy way to buy stocks online?

Guelila
Hello,
I recently got this strong urge to buy some Apple Inc. shares, so I did some research, but couldnt find a good answer.

Im not a US citizen, but I do have a VISA credit card and a verified Paypal account.
Are there any online brokers that would fit my current status right now?
Most of the sites I searched required their costumers to be a US citizen.
Also, Im not planning on actively trading stocks everyday, I just want to buy a few Apple shares. (Expecting to spend around $3000)

If anyone knows a good online broker, I would be very thankful if you would share with me.
Thanks,
Guelila.
bogger
Don't buy apple, is my advice! Smile

I think you'd be better off going for a local broker instead, I think some banks also do brokerage, the problem with online ones is that there is no liability for them, unlike with local ones.
Guelila
Well the thing is, Im thinking on trading a few other stocks aswell from time to time, and I think it would be nice to do it online.
I agree that it is much safer to do it offline, but at this point it would be much more beneficial for me if I could do it online.

Off-topic question: why should I not buy apple? I mean, with the second gen iPhone coming up soon Id expect it to go up..
Any advice on why I should no but apple? Smile
akshar
I have been using IndiaBulls. But I am in India.
I think in US almost all the banks provide online stock deals.
canassassin
its your choice of what companies to buy into but you should learn what your doing first. I have just started paper trading using a method called rule one investing. http://www.philtown.typepad.com/
I find it makes a lot of sense and is almost always safe.

There are so many online brokers you can use to buy shares. I am goind to start using etrade but im sure you can find some near where you live. Google is your friend.
shortorlong
For trades that last more than 1 day, I have found ThinkOrSwim to be the best client. It's totally free to papertrade with and it will track all of your trades for you. It has tons of features, but also tons of help videos on their website for how to use the features. It even includes a CNBC feed that you can watch cnbc with anytime of day for free.
fx-trading-education
Yes you can use fully online service as the one mentioned above, specially if you want to trade often.

But you try to contact also your local banks that may provide the service online as wel. But of course the fees for trading will be probably higher than with a dedicated broker.
solutionpros
Well, for sometime now I have been trying to get acquinted with FOREX. Is anyone ready to impact good knowledge?
sucram
solutionpros wrote:
Well, for sometime now I have been trying to get acquinted with FOREX. Is anyone ready to impact good knowledge?

To be honest, I will not go to a bank to get some advice. My advice to you is to get to the FOREX website and do your research there.It is quite user-friendly. Then you will be able to have less comissions and it is for sure that you will learn more on the intranet than going to your bank. I am more than sure that if you go to your bank you will leave it with more products than initially requested!
sucram
Guelila wrote:
Hello,
I recently got this strong urge to buy some Apple Inc. shares, so I did some research, but couldnt find a good answer.

Im not a US citizen, but I do have a VISA credit card and a verified Paypal account.
Also, Im not planning on actively trading stocks everyday, I just want to buy a few Apple shares. (Expecting to spend around $3000)

If anyone knows a good online broker, I would be very thankful if you would share with me.
Thanks,
Guelila.

My advice to you is not going to a bank as some people suggested to you. They will charge with higher commissions and they will not give you better advice that the one you can find in internet. Regarding the website it is difficult to say. Better if you spend some time looking for it. My advice is to have one that you feel comfortable with it.
gr8inferno
yes higly reccomend local not online!
kewldudeman
I use Banc of America Investments, but I am not sure if it`s available for individuals outside the USA.

Cool KewlDudeman
deanhills
Guelila wrote:
Well the thing is, Im thinking on trading a few other stocks aswell from time to time, and I think it would be nice to do it online.
I agree that it is much safer to do it offline, but at this point it would be much more beneficial for me if I could do it online.

Off-topic question: why should I not buy apple? I mean, with the second gen iPhone coming up soon Id expect it to go up..
Any advice on why I should no but apple? Smile

It is probably better to do your own homework as this is almost the same as buying a car. You will always find a few people who think you are buying something good and a few who think differently. Bottomline here is it is your money, you need to make your own informed decision about it.

If you are really serious about buying Apple Stock, and none other, why not do a Google on Apple and find whether you can purchase these directly from the company? Explain to them that you are not a US citizen and that you wish to do this on-line. If they do reply to your enquiry they may make suggestions of how to purchase on-line that may put you in the right direction. I found some contact information at the URL below:

http://www.apple.com/investor/
lagoon
Hmm yes I've been looking into this too. All I can say is that you should talk to your local bank about it first. They can advise you on the way forward.
Guelila
After a little more researching, I think I will try out www.zecco.com.
I went through all the information that had on their site as well as basic information on buying and selling of stocks through internet. (Thanks to Google Smile )

And the most important part is that they accept international members, meaning that they comply with all the requirements I mentioned before, excpet that they do not use PayPal for their transactions.

After some thinking though, I guess I could just use wire transfers as my payment option.
I'll post after buying a few other stocks as well and tell you guys how it went.
Wish me luck Smile
fx-trading-education
Their site is "under repair". Only the home page is displayed.
Is it a large company? It doesn't look so.
I would rather stay with the big players on the field.
Sometimes small companies may offer more facilities because it is one of their selling advantage but it is much more risky to make business with them as they can go bankrupted quickly.
bigt
Guelila wrote:
Hello,

Thanks,
Guelila.

I say going the online broker route is the best way. I would look up the top 10 or 15 and see who's fees are reasonable and get good reviews.

I think it's ok to do what you want, but I would invest in mutual funds instead of stocks. Find you a good mutual fund that includes Apple in it's holdings.
piygoy
Paypal and Egold bolocked any account without any reason. Ebullioncharges are unpredictable, as much as you earn, all can be disappear gradually. There are very few branches in other countries for transaction.
deanhills
piygoy wrote:
Paypal and Egold bolocked any account without any reason. Ebullioncharges are unpredictable, as much as you earn, all can be disappear gradually. There are very few branches in other countries for transaction.

I really had bad luck with PayPal. I use a supplementary credit card with a cap on it for Internet purchases, and to make the supplementary card different from the main Visa card, the bank had asked me to spell my last name slightly different on the supplementary card. So this of course means that my last name is spellt differently for the credit card, and so here's the thing, when I got to filling in the credit card info, PayPal does not make provision for a different name for the credit card. Also, since they save the application page by page, I could not go back to change my original name to match the credit card last name. So thought I would delete it, and I could not delete the account as it went into a neverending loop. Eventually I made an expensive phone call to PayPall and we deleted it. Then I applied again, and woe behold, it would not give me credit, as the credit had already been given to the first application, and when it was deleted, the credit went with it. Ha! Irony is that I had made a purchase with E-Bay and needed the PayPal credit as soon as possible. Instead PayPal said I had to show them my credit card statement for the end of the month, which would have meant almost a month waiting. In the end I had to send cash by courier to pay for the software I purchased. The vendor had been in Los Angeles and I had to organize it from the Middle East. I was not pleased with either E-Bay or PayPal, made another phone call to cancel the second application, and to make sure I never have to do business with PayPal again, as while I was going through this agony, I discovered Websites and blogs dedicated to people who have had very bad experiences with PayPal, which actually has the power to take money from your credit card. No Way!!!! E-Bay and PayPal are much toooo big for me Sad
ricky14
Online stock broker charge per trade basis (also on volume), not from your profits. good for you, and good for the online brokers too. They can still make money eventhough you lose money in stock. And zecco give free 10 trades per month provided you have $2500 in their account balance. And the best way to buy 100 shares is of course online. Thanks.Smile
buy stocks online
chatrack
Hi, me new comer in Trade online. Is there a good Sandbox program / Site to Study trading. Tell which one you prefer
iiinvest
I personally use scottrade to use as my broker, however, there are many other discount brokers out there that are helpful. The main thing is the cheap price that you pay per trade. I know someone mentioned that you pay per trade a certain amount and you must take that into consideration if you are trading a small number of shares. Say 1 share of apple is currently $400 dollars a $7 trade on one share will be 1.7% compared to buying a $100 worth of a smaller company, equaling 7%.

If you want to get into investing think of this analogy: would you be willing to give yourself a kidney transplant with kitchen utensils? If your the sort of person with the guts, the DIY attitude and the patience, I say go right ahead and learn and start getting your feet wet in the market. If you are not comfortable with doing the "transplant," I'd say leave it to the professionals.
vrajitoru15
Try FOREX ....you'll trade curencyes.......stoks....GOLD , OIL....and many others!!!