FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Tell me straight - the best DVD ripping software?

Josso
Ok I've used a lot of stuff for ripping things from my camcorder, just need something to rip to AVI. Size isn't really an issue (lol, size doesn't matter) but I just want the quality to be not messed up - I don't want it to take forever as well. I've waited for hours before for stuff to rip.

Any good experiences with some quality software? I just need a few suggestions to get me going - there's so many out there.
snowboardalliance
I've used AutoGK, and I think it works well. I just uses xvid or divx and it takes in most formats (like the kind on dvds, but most common ones too).
j0yfuln0is3
DVDShrink, honestly, it's the best.
It's free, and it outputs as ISO as well as some other formats.
The benefits of ISO is that you keep all the special features and extra material. And it's also easy to open ISO files as well.
drakkarsoft
WinDVD creator is easy to use. It is not free though Sad .
Studio Madcrow
I've always heard that AutoGK is supposed to be good...
Chris24
If you are looking to pay, then I would suggest winavi products or dvdfab. Other wise use dvd shrink like stated above or dvd decrypter they both work well and are free
Studio Madcrow
Chris24 wrote:
If you are looking to pay, then I would suggest winavi products or dvdfab. Other wise use dvd shrink like stated above or dvd decrypter they both work well and are free

I would never recommend that anybody EVER pay for DVD ripping stuff, as most DVD rippers are probably just a shiny coat of paint over a bunch of (usually uncredited and illegally used) free software to begin with.

As for DVD Shrink, I wouldn't recommend that to the OP either, as the OP isn't looking to make DVD to DVD copies but to make AVI files from their DVDs. DVD Decrypter, on the other hand, IS a useful tool if you want to develop a DIY toolchain for this rather than using a premade tool. After all, you need to get the DVD data onto your HDD somehow...
Alaskacameradude
MPEG streamclip from squared five is a great free utility that will convert just about any video codec to any other one. I use it all the time!
affordablemediasolutions
Ulead Video Studio 11
bigdan
I recommend DVD Decrypter as well. Nice piece of software, and very flexible.
Josso
AutoGK is brilliant, just does the job simply. Can't rip individual chapters on the DVD into seperate files anymore though, DVD Decrypter does that amongst other things right?
bulek
I prefer DVDShrink. Just try out few programs and find out yourself, which one better suits for you. Every program has it own pros and cons.
Chris24
Studio Madcrow wrote:
Chris24 wrote:

I would never recommend that anybody EVER pay for DVD ripping stuff, as most DVD rippers are probably just a shiny coat of paint over a bunch of (usually uncredited and illegally used) free software to begin with.

After using winavi products that is the one and only product I would recommend paying for...specifically winavi video converter. It converts to various types
aningbo
DVDShrink is promising. depends on how much u wanna spend on. or are you looking for free versions? why do you wanna rip anyways? just play that VOB file.

good luck