FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Minimized Window not appearing in the taskbar

bukaida
When I am minimising the window, it is not appearing in the taskbar.Although it is possible to access and switchover among them using alt + tab but I want the normal thing back.I am using XP with SP2.Please help.
Craeft
bukaida wrote:
When I am minimising the window, it is not appearing in the taskbar.Although it is possible to access and switchover among them using alt + tab but I want the normal thing back.I am using XP with SP2.Please help.

What program is it? Some programs have it defaulted to system tray upon minimalization. Check your settings and such in the program and see if you have an option to change that.
bukaida
All the programs like IE, windows explorer etc, whenever minimised not appearing to the taskbar.
Pepijn
Check your pc for virusses... I had this once (with Vista so maybe that was the cause Rolling Eyes ) But i found a virus was screwing my explorer.exe (the process responsible for menu start etc.)

Good luck!

Pepijn
loonix
Do you have a 2nd video output enabled?

I purposely get this if I run both my monitors at once. I minimise screen 2 and it sends the button to the task bar of screen 1. If you have screen 2 active but with the display not actually going anywhere then this can occur.
bukaida
Only my laptop's own screen is connected.No second output device.
FunDa
bukaida wrote:
Only my laptop's own screen is connected.No second output device.

Did you install any software like Vista Mizer or Vista Inspirat Pack ?

Try using the windows CD to repair windows installation. It will fix the explorer.exe and other related setting back to the default values.

And just to be sure it is not due to two sceens output, take Desktop Properties settings and verify that only one screen is active.
bukaida
essey
This is a recent problem I just discovered with some systems too. It occurs as a result of corrupted or inconsistent EXPLORER taskbar stream settings. This happens when explorer cannot perform the math correctly on how to place the toolbars on the taskbar. Most times, it is the programs area that suffers. It could also be as a result of explorer.exe shell not running.

To correct this problem:

1. Ensure that the explorer.exe shell is running:
(a) Run regedit.exe using your task manager.
(b) Locate HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
(c) Ensure the value of the key SHELL is explorer.exe

2. If this does not work it, do this finally (but with this option, you'll have to re-enable your toolbars):
(a) Run regedit.exe
(b) Using the Task Manager, end explorer.exe
(c) Locate HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced
(d) Delete the key STREAMS
(e) Close Registry Editor and use the task manager to start explorer.exe or log off and log on

This should solve your problem. Success!