FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

memory stick

romeo123
How much capacity do you currently have on your memory stick? I have only 123mb left from a one gig memory stick.
k_s_baskar
1.2 remain free in my 2gb stick Smile
but erased few times due to insufficient space. Smile

Could you please tell me for what this survey is for? Smile
bikermwtp
i have a 8 gig one and i only have 25 megs left on it because i use it to store playlists if i dont bring my harddrive with me
Kelvin
Well i've currently got about 500MB on my 4GB Flash Voyager but i do frequently run out of space when i transfer bulks of files around. My Voyager actually survived a full cycle wash and spin in my washing machine yesterday when i forgot to take it out of my pants. Anyway i think that 1GB is just too little for file transfers and storage now a days.
dickyzin
I've only got 1 Gigabyte of DDR3 RAM, which is made up of two 512 Megabytes DDR3 RAM sticks.
william
I have a 4 GB stick that I carry around. I think it has about half a gig of space left over. However, that's because I deleted all of my applications on it. (Had an Office Suite, Internet Apps, Games, GIMP, Audacity, VLC, and so much more). I've often considered getting myself a pocket hard drive, because I fill these sticks up really quickly.
dickyzin
william wrote:
I have a 4 GB stick that I carry around. I think it has about half a gig of space left over. However, that's because I deleted all of my applications on it. (Had an Office Suite, Internet Apps, Games, GIMP, Audacity, VLC, and so much more). I've often considered getting myself a pocket hard drive, because I fill these sticks up really quickly.

I agree that you should get a portable 2.5 inch hard drive. Flash memory sticks are not always reliable since they have a limited number of writes in their lifespan. Although flash memory sticks have reduced in price dramatically and a 32GB stick is also now available. Portable hard drive also have a risk of damage if you drop them.
zeus2602
1gb stick/ 20mb free Sad
FunDa
I lost a 2 GB Sandisk micro Cruzer pen drive.

It was almost full, and not very old. Boo hooo .... Sad
dickyzin
What is the average lifespan of a USB Memory Stick in terms of the number of re-writes? Does it vary from brand-to-brand and also from the capacity? How can we find out what's the lifespan on a particular USB memory stick?
ftv_flung
I recently bought a 2gb USB pen from dabs.com - with 6MB remaining.... I have a few WAVs on there XD haha
dickyzin
A friend of mine bought a 16GB USB Memory Stick and he has installed Pen Drive Linux to run on it. It boots up from the USB memory stick and away you go. You don't even need any hard drives installed on your computer. Good thing is, Pen Drive Linux automatically detects the basic drivers and network. Quite neat.
surdy
Why this thread ? why would anyone need to know ?
Infact why am I even replying to this? Rolling Eyes

Anyways I have 1GB memory stick , and the free space always changes , as do the contents on it.

I use it to carry files of varying sizes and clear them as soon as i'm done with it. Thats what it was meant to be for me , just a temporary carrier for data , not a permannet storage where data hangs on for ever. Razz , unless i'm using it as live OS media
Robin1993
4gb stick/ 300 mb free
snowynight
Whose is sure enogh to be better than mine? Twisted Evil
I got only a 512mb one from my se 800, and I used the every last bit of it....... Very Happy
cafefrog
I would like to say this is a pointless conversion and to be honest the reason why the manditory posts are a bad idea is because it perpetuates stupid conversations by people with nothing to contribute to a community. This is like a forced class in college where they made to contibute to an online message board when you really have nothing to say.

For those who are using the flash drive as a hard drive back up are stupid! They can (and have) fail without warning and if you want to get something for long term back up consider an external USB drive or multiple DVD's. Flashdrives were made to move and store files temporarily.
adri
I always got like 980Mb free on my USB of 1Gb because I have Folder Lock to encrypt my files on my USB. Cool
dmystic
i got 1.9GB free of my 2GB, have 1 text file or smthing on it
neji
Total cap.: 4Gb
Used: 1.7Gb
dickyzin
I just got a 4GB Kingston USB Flash drive. Haven't even used it yet.
psycosquirrel
I have a ton of external drives. Here are the ones I remember off the top of my head:

Generic backup 1Gb: ~100Mb free
4Gb Kingston "Install" drive: ~1Gb free
4Gb Kingston "Utility" drive: ~2Gb free
2Gb "file transfer" drive: empty unless I'm using it for a project, or to bring files to someone
20Gb 2.5" external "document backup" drive: 10Gb free
500Gb 3.5" external "music backup" drive: 450Gb free
500Gb 3.5" external "security" drive: varies based on security cam footage
dickyzin
How much better is DDR3 to DDR2? Is DDR3 now worth the extra bucks?
prithvi
I currently use a 30GB Cowon media player as my media storage device.
It has around 22 GB free.

I used to copy out loads of movies, games, mp3s, video tutorial DVDs and *cough-cough* work files from my old workplace on a regular basis.

Other than that, I have an old Sony 8GB memory stick pro duo which I am using on my PSP.
luxgud
I bought a 8GB stick for 15 from Tesco. This seemed excellent value.
fadirocks
i got 2GB and 1GB stick and haven't been using them for a while but when i use them they get filled up hehe
FunDa
I used to keep U3 portable applications on my USB but then I removed them cause they just fill up space and I don't use them anyway.

In fact, some portable apps I prefer to install on the computer. and copy it around when required. For example VLC portable when I have to play a video and the computers where I do the presentations is always a windows default box with only media player and no codecs instaled.
bigt
romeo123 wrote:
How much capacity do you currently have on your memory stick? I have only 123mb left from a one gig memory stick.

Which one? Smile
Yes, my office is cheap...but I guess it could be said we are using tax dollars well also, heh. I have a couple sticks I have collected over the years:
1GB -personal drive w/ U3 programs (Great! stuff) 100MB left
2GB -work w/ 248MB left
4GB -work w/ 800MB left

been looking around and prices are going down too, whoo hoo! Smile