FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Gasoline situation / Hurricane Katrina

criticaldensity
anyone on this board in the US?
anyone on this board affected by Hurricane Katrina?

I'm up here in PA but the potential gas crisis has already had an impact. Some gas stations near me have closed or are about to close because they are out of gas. so many people got gas yesterday, I even had to wait in line for it. and it cost me 17.00 for a mere 5 gallons

and of course, my heart goes out to all of you who were affected, what you are dealing with down there is like a mini-tsunami
S3nd K3ys
criticaldensity wrote:

I'm up here in PA but the potential gas crisis has already had an impact. Some gas stations near me have closed or are about to close because they are out of gas. so many people got gas yesterday, I even had to wait in line for it. and it cost me 17.00 for a mere 5 gallons

and of course, my heart goes out to all of you who were affected, what you are dealing with down there is like a mini-tsunami

I'm in San Diego. We don't need any excuses to get gouged at the pump. We typically pay more here than the rest of the US, but for now it seems we're getting off easy. (It actually went DOWN last nite a few cents!)

It's going to get worse. The biggest problem, (aside from greedy oil companies), is that refineries have been lost. We've got oil, just no way to produce gas from it.
Monkeydog
Yeah it really affects all of the US except California(ironicly >.>)since the gas refined there goes everywere in the US but the west coast.
Asylum
In GA it is around $6.00 a Gallon because the gas stations are about to shut down as they are almost out of gas.
Red Eyes
I really feel sorry for you guys because up here in WA it isnt that bad yet but it is still 2.80 a gallon which isnt as bad as $6 but it is still too much to pay with these gas hogging cars we all drive
huffy53
i really feel for you guys over there i have donated to a charity in england that are doin work over there for you guys to make it better hope your all alrite.
amusedtoe
Eh don't get me started on gas prices and how wrong it is that I nearly drove my car off the wrong in excitement Friday when a station was $2.99. Sure this should affect gas prices a little (read 5 to 10 cents at most) but they're gouging us because they can. The 50 cent price jump over 3 days in most areas alone should make that obvious enough. Heck a month ago the average price in Michigan (which is consistently top 5 in gas prices) was in the low $2's, a year ago it was in the $1.80's. Something's really wrong when gas prices only go up 30 cents over 11 months and then jump over a dollar in less then a month.

Of course that's not even factoring in the reality that the gas companies are openly talking about how they're making record profits that just keep climbing. It's the same thing when we went to Iraq and how they started jacking it up on us then. We only get about 10% of our oil from Iraq, and even less from the Gulf, but they're acting like it's 80% and if one thing goes wrong we're back in the gas crisis. It's the French and other European countries that largely depend on Iraq for oil, the US gets most of our supply from South American countries.

Bottom line, it's horrible what happened down there, but it's even worse that the oil companies would turn around and use the tragedy as an excuse to rake in money. That kind of policy puts them on par with the looters who have shown they are the dreges of humanity.
criticaldensity
i dont feel sorry for anyone who drives an SUV. I heard Toyota Prius sales have gone up huge. US auto makers left in the dust again.
PatTheGreat42
Which is why we all need solar-powered hydrogen extractors on our roof and fuel-cell cars.

I wish I had a fuel-cell DeLorean.
gonzo
yes
no

criticaldensity wrote:
potential gas crisis

Ahhh supply and demand. I can't wait to hear about the local democrat fop suggesting price fixing. Then you'll see REAL shortages.

S3nd K3ys wrote:
aside from greedy oil companies

Yeah those bastards paying their employees. Or worse their employees insisting on compensation for their time. Their children don't need food or shelter. We all deserve free gas. Oh and I want my free maserati!!

amusedtoe wrote:
they're gouging us because they can

bzzzt guess again. From whence commenth the crude oil? (the stuff that the evil refineries buy)

amusedtoe's unsubstantiated ravings wrote:
gas companies are openly talking

Really? Do share your URLs. I want to read it off their respective sites.

PatTheGreat42, a trekkie at heart wrote:
solar-powered hydrogen extractors

Riiiiiight. Why don't we all just get some matter transmogrifiers too?

Rolling Eyes
schudder
Oh stop complaining, at least be glad you don't have to pay taxes on gasoline. Here in Belgium, gas currently costs around 1.3€ per LITER (maximumprice). If we convert that to $ and US gallon, that would become 6,167$. If my conversion table is correct anyway.

Now, the funny thing is that the gasoline only costs 39 eurocents, 59 eurocents is standard taxes (invariable, no matter what the price of oil is), 12 eurocents costs (profit for refineries and transporters) and lastly 23 eurocents "BTW" (VAT for British members), not sure what that would be in the US, but it's also a type of tax, but one that exists on ALL goods.

Just to let you know you're lucky your government doesn't tax your gas so heavily (though it is good for the environment of course, because it encourages people to use less gas and to drive cars that use less gas - so SUV's are really unpopular here).

Also, the usage of diesel is very popular here, because it's cheaper, only about 1.1€ per liter I believe.
Jack_Hammer
gonzo wrote:
PatTheGreat42, a trekkie at heart wrote:
solar-powered hydrogen extractors

Riiiiiight. Why don't we all just get some matter transmogrifiers too?

Rolling Eyes

There are actually Hydrogen powerd cars if you can afford 3 million pounds...

"The hydrogen can be obtained from decomposition of methane or from water and electricity using electrolysis. A primary benefit of using pure hydrogen as a power source is that it uses oxygen from the air to produce only water vapor as exhaust, moving the source of atmospheric pollution from many cars back to a single power plant, where it can be more easily dealt with..."

Continued: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_car
devadutta
criticaldensity wrote:

Katrina has not only devestated lives in new orleans, but it has had its impact all over the world. Due to the hurricane, petrol prices in India have hit an all time high.
S3nd K3ys
Quote:
Yeah those bastards paying their employees. Or worse their employees insisting on compensation for their time. Their children don't need food or shelter. We all deserve free gas. Oh and I want my free maserati!!

Hmm, lets see... record profits year after year after year, it costs roughly 10 cents per gallong to refine gas... even less for diesel, which recently went ABOVE premium's cost.

The gobment gets about 20 percent. Throw in another 20-30 percent to market/distribute/handle it.

Nope. No gouging going on here. Rolling Eyes
ani-nightmare
Gas is expensive anymore.
LuiS_J
well i live in south florida and the gasoline prices. are up to 3 dollars a gallon!!!!!!!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked and also i heard that on SEPTEMBER 10TH DO NOT BUY GASOLINE!!!!!!1 ok .... i forgot how to say the word in english... but in spanish is called "huelga" if you know wjat it means .. translate it please.. LOL.. but that's what i heard.. that in the 10th don' buy any gasoline ... the reason i still don't know .... Very Happy Very Happy
tribe
GAS DOWN ANOTHER 2 BUCKS TODAY TO AROUND 64.00 DOLLARS.

Down from 70 last week. It will just continue a freefall so our prices will avg around 2.50 within 2 weeeks.
krazeek
$2.99 where I live and it was upt $3.29 in ohio (thats where i live). Im glad I dont drive yet though.
izimngcubes15
No I don't live there, but I live in Texas and a lot of Katrina victims are coming to our town and school. It's real sad. I want to donate some money. And the gasoline money is way to high, my friend says there are one station that are already up to 6 dollars per gallon! O.o
polly-gone
NOSTALGIA: Remember this? People complaining about $2.50 gas prices?

Katrina is almost 3 years gone, and gas keeps going up. I don't think that that was the problem. Just an excuse.

-Nick Shocked Shocked Shocked
Ghost Rider103
Yeah, but I remeber back in the day when gas was $1.80, and maybe a little over $2.

So gas prices are still on the rise for idk how long, but it's starting to get ridiculious, lets get Frihost to make a gas company, and we all get gas for under $2 for every registered user registered in 06 and below!

What a great idea!
standready
The old post revisited!
I think if someone sneezes in an oil field they raise the price, basically any excuse. Gas stations raise their prices before they even finish announcing the sneeze.
Oil executives are going before house of representatives again this week which amounts to more payoffs to keep things as they are. I am glad the weather in my area is getting warm enough to feel good to be biking local errands.
polly-gone
Did you hear someone sneeze? OMG... look at that gas ticker go...

The gas stations really aren't the people at fault. On my local news, they were talking to a guy that owns a gas station and he showed them his expenses, etc. He is make about 2 cents per gallon after credit card charges and such and the other reason he isn't going out of business is because his station is also a convenience store, where a 2 ounce bag of chips is $15.00.

-Nick Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Blaster
It hit 4 dollars here... So where is my bike...

Anyhow i am thinking that bush has something to do with this. He is raising it to get money before he is out of office at the end of this month.

I want one of those bio diseal cars. My parents own a store that uses friers and all and i think that i could manage using that but diseal is so expensive now too. It used to be cheaper.
quilledbroomstick
The U.S. government will not allow for anyone to develop a new way to propel our vehicles because they all have their hand in the oil biz....So we need to have someone in another country develop a NEW way to propel our vehicles comparable to gasoline and then there will be some competition in the car industry. I know the hybrids are suppose to be helping a lot, but the hybrid cars are expensive to purchase and a lot of folks can't afford to buy a new car. We need some way to make our existing cars hybrids so we all can benefit from it. Any suggestions?
Kunkstar7
I believe that somehow they could reduce the gas prices. Its getting ridiculous at 4 dollars+. I don't have any facts to back it up, but there has to be some extortion or something...
Srs2388
One thing I don't get is how in certain states it is so much cheaper... here in Arkansas gas it around 4 something a gallon.
diesel is close to 5.. I'm glad I don't drive a diesel.
I think if the government would work on it harder it would be possible to make the gas prices cheaper.
That is just me though.
webpagist81884
Gas prices are expected to hit $6 by end of august. Jesus, this is getting waaayy out of control.
Bockman
webpagist81884 wrote:
Gas prices are expected to hit $6 by end of august. Jesus, this is getting waaayy out of control.

In europe it's been said (unnoficially) that gas prices are expected to double current prices in the end of 2009. Now consider I'm already paying over $8.5/gal ..... and talk to me about out of control... (not to mention the fact that our average wages are about 1/3 of yours) ....

For a table of prices you can all see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline_usage_and_pricing#Average_gasoline_prices_around_the_world

Not sure about other countries, but Portugal prices are correct (updated by a gasoline prices dedicated website)

Now for good news...

BMW's hydrogen car: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6154212.stm

Be Well Cool
panthro
It's simply just getting out of control.
All prices will increase due to this since our truckers use Diesle to get our goods to locations.
The higher it cost to get it there. The more it will cost the consumer
polly-gone
Bockman wrote:
webpagist81884 wrote:

In europe it's been said (unnoficially) that gas prices are expected to double current prices in the end of 2009. Now consider I'm already paying over $8.5/gal ..... and talk to me about out of control... (not to mention the fact that our average wages are about 1/3 of yours) ....

For a table of prices you can all see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline_usage_and_pricing#Average_gasoline_prices_around_the_world

Not sure about other countries, but Portugal prices are correct (updated by a gasoline prices dedicated website)

Now for good news...

BMW's hydrogen car: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6154212.stm

Be Well Cool

But I though Europe also had a lot higher miles per gallon standards. I was watching the Inconvenient Truth, and it showed a graph of the current standards. The US, of course, was at the bottom. China had a standard of like.... 50 MPG, Europe something like 40, and the US.... 15.

-Nick Smile Smile Smile