FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Itunes alternative

loyal
Hey!

I'm sick of itunes. It's so heavy on my computer. Plus, the wikipedia entry seems really biased.

Does anyone know any good alternatives for just listening to music, but with statistics?

Peace.
gh0stface
There's always WinAMP Wink

I believe that WinAMP also has an iTunes plugin of sorts along with statistics. If you don't like WinAMP you might want to check out Foobar2000 at foobar2000.org

Not entirely sure if foobar has statistics or not. But if it is competing with other media players, it probably will have it.
bigdan
gh0stface wrote:

I believe that WinAMP also has an iTunes plugin of sorts along with statistics. If you don't like WinAMP you might want to check out Foobar2000 at foobar2000.org

Not entirely sure if foobar has statistics or not. But if it is competing with other media players, it probably will have it.

Yep. But IIRC, it's not part of the download, you have to go to WinAMP.com and find the plug-in. I use it and it works fine. You can't edit the tags, but it does come up fine in WinAMP.
gh0stface
bigdan wrote:
gh0stface wrote:

Yep. But IIRC, it's not part of the download, you have to go to WinAMP.com and find the plug-in. I use it and it works fine. You can't edit the tags, but it does come up fine in WinAMP.

Eh... maybe we're not on the same page... but in WinAMP you don't need a plugin to show statistics. Unless there's a very in depth plugin that you like to use.

WinAMP has a very basic one found in the Media Library portion where you can select "Most Played" which will show you how often the MP3 has been played.

Now I don't have an iPod(as I find them overally bad. I have an Archos 402cc.) so the statistics found on iTunes may not be the same type of statistics found in WinAMP.
loyal
Hmmm, winamp? Okay i'm trying out the lite and getting a feel for it. The full version is too heavy for my comp i feel. Or at least as heavy as itunes. My computer must look really bad to you lot lol!

Do plugins still work with the lite version?

Thanks!
mcfearless
You could also try songbird. Pretty sweet, and a lot lighter. It's based off the mozilla framework.
lszanto
I'm assuming you are on windows? Well either that or Mac OS X as you have had iTunes. I have recently found a rather lightweight program for listening to and managing your music library, its called http://www.musikcube.com/ I've just installed it for my mum who seems to like it and is able to use it Wink .
j0yfuln0is3
I really like iTunes. I am convinced it's your computer thats the real problem here.

It's probably best investing in some more RAM. Trust me, I ungraded from 512MB to 2GB and what a difference! RAM isn't very expensive any more either, so I really recommend upgrading. You will notice a difference in the overall performace of your computer... not just iTunes.
loyal
j0yfuln0is3 wrote:
I really like iTunes. I am convinced it's your computer thats the real problem here.

It's probably best investing in some more RAM. Trust me, I ungraded from 512MB to 2GB and what a difference! RAM isn't very expensive any more either, so I really recommend upgrading. You will notice a difference in the overall performace of your computer... not just iTunes.

It is true I need more RAM. But my computer is fine for almost everything. Ever since the last two major upgrades, itunes has become so heavy.

I wish it were more like adobe reader...version 8 is so light and powerful....lol

Peace.
escritor
loyal wrote:
The full version is too heavy for my comp i feel.

Try using the classic skin.
deviator
I'm sorry but I really need to make a rant about Itunes. Itunes is the biggest piece of crap software made in this whole entire universe. I mean, common, you have millions, let alone billons of dollars made from consumers like us, yet you can't hired a coder that can actually make a software that has user-friendly and computer friendly; yet you do the exact opposite. I had to reupload my library 3 times, once because of the stupid firmware update and 2 times because of the options. Would someone smack apple in the head and tell them to take their heads out of their butts and hired some coders with a brain? God. Well I'm done =P.
loyal
deviator wrote:
I'm sorry but I really need to make a rant about Itunes. Itunes is the biggest piece of crap software made in this whole entire universe. I mean, common, you have millions, let alone billons of dollars made from consumers like us, yet you can't hired a coder that can actually make a software that has user-friendly and computer friendly; yet you do the exact opposite. I had to reupload my library 3 times, once because of the stupid firmware update and 2 times because of the options. Would someone smack apple in the head and tell them to take their heads out of their butts and hired some coders with a brain? God. Well I'm done =P.

How come the wikipedia entry on itunes reads like an advert?

Someone should change it...

Peace.
bulek
Install the newest version of Winamp and then choose skin classic (the old one). But I think that there is something else wrong with your computer. You should examine if there is any other program which is slowing down you computer. Antivirus and firewall are the most common programs which are resource hog.
webmaster_cuernavaca
loyal wrote:
Hey!

I'm sick of itunes. It's so heavy on my computer. Plus, the wikipedia entry seems really biased.

Does anyone know any good alternatives for just listening to music, but with statistics?

Peace.

yes i vote for Winamp pro
HamsterMan
Winamp and media player classic is the way to go.
escritor
loyal wrote:
How come the wikipedia entry on itunes reads like an advert?

Someone should change it...

You can do it! Wikipedia is open to any person to be edited.