FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

SSL ?

pollux1er
How do we do to get https:// on the browser?
alalex
You need to talk with your hosting company to see if they offer that type of web access. If they do, they'll tell you how to configure it and use it
pollux1er
Is it enabled on frihost?
AftershockVibe
No, it's not.
If you wanted to use SSL and have anyone trust you you'd have to buy a certificate anyway so it doesn't really make a lot of sense for a free webhost.
MrBlueSky
You don't have to buy a certificate for SSL to be usefull. If you create a signature yourself, it isn't signed by a trusted party, but it still has the main benefits of SSL:

1. After you installed the certificate the first time, you can trust you will always be connected to the host who has the certificate. This secures you against phishing attempts and DNS poisoning attacks.
2. All the data you send to and receive from the server is encrypted, so nobody can sniff it.

Having a certificate signed by a trusted party is a nice 'extra', but it doesn't add much to the usefulness of SSL.
alalex
Yes, am external certificate just makes your site more "believable", but if what you are looking for is prevent data sniffing and phishing then you don't need one. But you'll need a hosting company that supports SSL Wink
pollux1er
If it is enabled by the host company, how do we call it?
alalex
Well most web hosting companies have a "User control panel" from which you can setup the SSL server for your site.
If that option is not enabled you should contact your hosting provider and ask for the configuration and other information.
pollux1er
Thanks for this precision. I'll see if i can learn more from my host.