FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Getting parameters when DHCP not activated

pollux1er
In my area, there is a wireless network that is visible by my computer. But i can not have respose from that wireless network. I get Connection Manager Pro to help me configuring that netwrk automatically but no result. How can i do? I need to get parametres from that wireless network from my computer. Is it possible?
djclue917
First and foremost, do you own this wireless network, or if not, have you been given the permission to access and use it? Also, what operating system are you using? I'm not actually familiar with the software that you are using, Connection Manager Pro. I also don't know why you're using a third-party app (I infer that this is not bundled to your operating system).
pollux1er
I am not the owner of that network. But i think it is an acces point which is not securised. Can you hel me?
Bones
What do you mean you need to get the parameters of the network? What happens when you try to connect to it? If your wireless software is configured correctly, and you are using a wireless standard that is compatable with that of the access point, the it should just connect (though may ask for a WEP or WPA key on connect if the network is secured)

Unless you have the network owners permission to connect to it, or unless it is a public wireless network though, you are begging for someone (like the police or an angry neighbour) to come knocking on your door
Pikokola
Quote:
Unless you have the network owners permission to connect to it, or unless it is a public wireless network though, you are begging for someone (like the police or an angry neighbour) to come knocking on your door

yeah...

Quote:
I am not the owner of that network. But i think it is an acces point which is not securised. Can you hel me?

And even when it's not "securised", and you can "connect" into it (the status told you that you're connected). You maybe still need the owner "permission" to use the network. I mean some configuration on the server to give ID to your desktop/laptop, so you can connect to that network.
It's can be confirmed when you can connect to it, but you get nothing from the server.
Craeft
Bones wrote:
What do you mean you need to get the parameters of the network? What happens when you try to connect to it? If your wireless software is configured correctly, and you are using a wireless standard that is compatable with that of the access point, the it should just connect (though may ask for a WEP or WPA key on connect if the network is secured)

It is not illegal to connect to an open network. It is illegal to hack into a secured network. But if it is open, it is considered the responsibility of the network owner to secure it.

OP:
What are you getting when you try to connect? And can you do an ipconfig /release /renew? Does it see your card at all? On your wifi card software, it should tell you signal strength and ip address of the router. I know you said that it's not working DHCP... have you attempted static? First, you'll have to see if the network is 192.168.0.xxx or if it's 192.168.1.xxx and then set up your card accordingly.