FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Explorer XP help

Amsilva
Hi,

I have a litle problem with my XP Explorer. When i acess to "my computer" or try to change drive in the "Save as" box (e.g) the explorer almost "dies"... Make an eternity to do this operations...

Some tip to solve this??

Tanks
orno
1. Goto tools >> Folder Options
2. Switch to the second tab (think its called View...not sure coz im on a german xp copy right now, but its the second tab)
3. Uncheck the "Automatically search for network folders and printers"

lemme know if that works Smile
DJGuardy
Mmmm.. I'm thinking, how will the method above work? Are you sure that's the cause of the problem, sounds like a disk that might need defragging.
Alacarde
I used to have that same problem.

I would recommend running Scandisk, Defragmenting all your hard drives if you have more than one / any partitioned, and run Disk Cleanup.

If that doesn't work, scan for Spyware / Adware / viruses. If that still doesn't work, go to http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner.html and download CCleaner. Then check ALL the boxes in the program, and run it. IT should remove quite a bit. If it's still slow, use it's registry cleaner. You can backup your registry if you want, (you'll be prompted), but I have never had any problems with the program.

Good Luck.
shwetanshu
Well in my case, the HDD was damaged, developed bad sectors on one of the partitions, so wenever i tried to access it, the compter hanged, had to get hadd replaced, so u might wanna check ur hdd for bad sectors.
Amsilva
Tanks people for your help.

I have tried ORNO´s solution but stills the same. I also tried to defrag and scan dsk but not worked.
My dsk is ok, for sure is a software problem...
I will try to reinstall Iexplorer again.

Tanks
Cool
progman89
That usually happens when the computer tries to read the disc drive...for some reason using the Save As dialogue or opening my computer prompts Windows to read the CD drive again. I don't think there's anything you can do specifically for that problem, though defragging and removing spyware will make your computer faster in general.
yjwong
The disc in the CD-ROm may be corrupted...
THE11thROCK™
I experienced that too. I believe it's a corrupted or damage disc in the CD-rom drive.
Amsilva
Imagine that i am in the folder C:\programs (for example). When i pass one folder up level (to C:\) theres no problem, but when i make one step higher (to My computer) the view area stays clear and my mouse point turns to a "portable ligth", then takes 20/30 seconds to show my computers disks.
Another example is when a try to open "a save as" drop down Box, the aplication (any one) bocks 20/30 second until show me the "hiearquic tree of explorer"...
Thats the problem.

Some kwons if i can setup again the explorer?, maybe by the windows CD instalalation?
gonzo
Is your system 100% free of malware?
Amsilva
At this time dont have a internet conection. i have it but now i dont.
I am tinking now in that to. My pc also restarts without any aparent cause.
Do you know any software to run and see malware?
jawker
Just simply scandisk and defrag regularly
I defrag my PC at 2x a day
If you a virtual drive or CD disable it at startup
run it only when you need your virtual drive
Also clean your registry from garbage files or programs
you have installed earlier
get a registry cleaner
A scanning anti-virus at the background also tends to
make your PC run slower so check on it to
run only when your PC is idle
At your startup in msconfig, disable all other programs you
are not familiar with
for me i only allow my anti-virus at startup any other
programs are disable i just run it manually whenever i need it.

I hope this help you!! Razz
Amsilva
Quote:
If you a virtual drive or CD disable it at startup
run it only when you need your virtual drive

Put one time virtual drives ON white Nero. Before that my Explore starts with that problem. Maybe that the cause of my problem.

Will try to disable the virtual CD/DVD drive. Will see what happens.

Tanks Jawker!
Smile
jawker
ok! Because that usually happens when the virtual drive searches for the image. I hope it works. Keep us posted Very Happy
Amsilva
Not worked! Stills the same.
Exists some way to change explorer files for new ones?

I just start to thinking that the solution is...
format C:\ Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
windval
orno wrote:
1. Goto tools >> Folder Options
2. Switch to the second tab (think its called View...not sure coz im on a german xp copy right now, but its the second tab)
3. Uncheck the "Automatically search for network folders and printers"

lemme know if that works Smile

thanks for your help
i always meet this problem
this make my old computer in trouble
otiscom
Only way is a complete re-install of windows.
Amsilva
That´s what i not won´t to do. Have to setup all again... My pc is a caos of personal files....
Don´t have another solution???
A miracle needs...

Laughing