FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Shutdown day is back!

Will you participate and shut down your computer?
Yes
14%
 14%  [ 4 ]
No
25%
 25%  [ 7 ]
Undecided/Depends on my mood that day
22%
 22%  [ 6 ]
What's the point?
37%
 37%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 27

saratdear
Shutdown day - http://www.shutdownday.org/ - is back. After holding it last year on March 24, they have decided to hold it this year, too. And it is on May 3rd, saturday.

It's simple. You just shutdown the computer for the whole day, and find something else to do.

Last year, too, there was a thread, with mainly divided opinion. Some said that they can't stay away from the computer, while some said that they could. There were yet some others with the opinion that they could do it if they wanted to, but they saw no point in doing such a thing.

As of now, on the home page of the site, it is 2805 who can vs 235 who can't. (I voted I can. Razz )

Let's see how it turns out this year. Please vote on the poll. I also added an option of "what's the point"? Smile
Donutey
1) May 3rd is part of finals week for me, so there is zero possibility I can avoid a computer, as all of my physical classes have online resources (practice exams, homework, lectures etc). Although I would gladly trade finals week for a day without a computer. Rolling Eyes

2) The possible energy savings are dubious, part of the shutdownday.org site should be about using less energy during that day. For instance, if you drive somewhere to alleviate your boredom, you're probably using more energy than you would have otherwise.

3) I think this is a good idea, as long as the alternative is not to go and watch tv. It's really relaxing for me to go camping during the summer and have no possibility of being interrupted because of no cell/internet service.
MrBlueSky
I vote "What's the point?" . From the site:

Quote:

The idea behind Shutdown Day is to find out how many people can go without a computer for one whole day, and what will happen if we all participate!

I know I can do without a computer for a whole day (or more). On average I spend more than 8 hours behind the computer, but there are are days I don't use a computer at all. By choice or due to circumstances.

Maybe this is a usefull experiment for some people, who might realize they have become too dependent on their computer or are addicted. But those people won't participate in shutdown day anyway, I think.
Sphaerenkern
Well, I know the point and I won't participate.
I know that I can live and act without a computer, there's no point for me to avoid it. Since I turned off all IM-stuff (you know, ICQ, MSN, AIM, Yahoo!, Jabber) for a week - and that's my personal no-IM week - I use the computer much less and I don't feel compelled to use it.
And because I don't play video games on my computer, there's no "addiction-threat" at all. Shutdown day for the geeks and career-maniacs. Wink
Seiji
I didn't participate last time, and I'm not sure if I will this time. May 3rd is around the time I'm expecting to have enough $$ for a video card and psu. If don't have them by then well I would be delighted to leave my PC off for the whole day. Ever since I started working, I haven't had much time to be on it anyway.
mtorregiani
I can, but... why should I do it?
I mean, I don't spend more than 1 hour/day with my computer, sometimes, I don't even have time...

Besides, it's a really stupid idea.
DoctorBeaver
I need my PCs for work. I can't afford to lose a day's money just because some nutter wants to know what would happen.

Let's have a "Don't-tell-anyone-what-to-do day" and see how that goes instead! Razz
ocalhoun
I do that 4 or 5 days a week anyway...
What's the big deal?
Gieter
I don't need such an event to stay away from my computer for one day... Would be nice if they added television etc to it.
endless
i voted for no, because i need to play like well
*counting*
*still counting*
15 games a day, and that takes me about 10 hours a day.
today i've been on my pc for 13 hours, from 05:00 am to 18:00 pm, and i think another 3 hours will be added ._.

so i guess i can't stay away from my computer
ocalhoun
endless wrote:
i voted for no, because i need to play like well
*counting*
*still counting*
15 games a day, and that takes me about 10 hours a day.
today i've been on my pc for 13 hours, from 05:00 am to 18:00 pm, and i think another 3 hours will be added ._.

so i guess i can't stay away from my computer

Perhaps there is a purpose to such a day after all...
How about taking a long walk in the woods?
Nameless
ocalhoun wrote:
How about taking a long walk in the woods?

You're right! I've been wasting my life enjoying myself in front of my computer, producing games, poetry and even an unpublished novel in front of my computer, having some sad representation of a social life in front of my computer, when I should obviously be outside being bored out of my mind staring at trees and further exercising my already underweight body!

Your circumstances may vary. Wink

File me under 'pointless', please.
bigdan
I might have a go, just to see what happens.
asim
hi,

may 3rd, i jst cannot afford to shutdown my computers as i have to send bills to my clients, so may be if electricity goes off ill not boot my computer [:d]
crimson_aria
I didn't participate in last year's shutdown day. I don't think I'd be participating this year as well. Though, I think I might since I have a date with a friend on May 3rd so it's highly likely that I won't be at home.
Zombie
Lol in my opinion shutdownday is just an ebayer's silly scheme. But out of 10,000,000,000 people I doubt 10,000 will participate. Not a big dent; you won't be buying any PS3s for $100.
Blaster
I will yet again shut down my computer for this wonderful day. Maybe it will be nice out. Smile
Ghost Rider103
I can deffiniately do it, since some days, and even longer than days I do not even get a chance to get on the computer at all.

Will I do it? Well I can't really say at the moment, it depends on what I have planned comming up for that day. If I don't have anything planned, and am just staying home, well then I will probably be on the computer, since there is never anything on T.V.
apple
I could do it, tho I am not sure if I will participate.
Agent ME
I participate every time there's a power outage, so I think I've done a good job so far Razz
HamsterMan
No way, I need to think about my uptime and webserver.
Agent ME
I think it would be hilarious if a power company or ISP had said it was going to participate in this type of thing as an underthought-publicity thing.
Masacchi
I'd do it, but I have to edit my video project. <.<; Except for that though, I guess I could, although it'd destroy the whole point.

Don't really need a set date to step away from my computer though <.<;; Okay, maybe I do..
meet in rio
I love the irony of coordinating such an 'event' via internet.

Most days are now 'shutdown day' for me seeing as my computer decided to die on me. I am getting more reading done now, which seems to be the one advantage of not having my own machine.
pradaprince
saratdear wrote:
Shutdown day - http://www.shutdownday.org/ - is back. After holding it last year on March 24, they have decided to hold it this year, too. And it is on May 3rd, saturday.

It's simple. You just shutdown the computer for the whole day, and find something else to do.

Last year, too, there was a thread, with mainly divided opinion. Some said that they can't stay away from the computer, while some said that they could. There were yet some others with the opinion that they could do it if they wanted to, but they saw no point in doing such a thing.

As of now, on the home page of the site, it is 2805 who can vs 235 who can't. (I voted I can. Razz )

Let's see how it turns out this year. Please vote on the poll. I also added an option of "what's the point"? Smile

wow
saratdear
Hmm...I'm quite ashamed of myself right now. I completely forgot about the event when it came. I had remembered about it in May 2nd, but I completely forgot about it after coming back from school. It was the day when the school closed, so I guess I forgot.

I have no excuse. I admit it, I am pretty embarassed. Embarassed
Davidgr1200
The idea seems pretty silly now when computers are a so integral part of our lives. It's like having a "Don't use a screwdriver" day or a "Don't wear a shirt" day or even "Don't use electricity" day. People pay bills, buy airline tickets, check in to their flights, work overtime from home and many other necessary things on their computers. It MIGHT make more sense to have a "Don't play computer games/TV games" day. And wher edo you stop at the definition of computers? There are computers in most cars these days - so you wouldn't drive that day. Computer controlled air-conditioning? Turn it off the night before. Computer controlled freezer? TV? Cooker? Sewing machine?......
erlendhg
I just get a page not found error when I try to visit the page you linked to.

Could someone explain it further? Is the whole idea just to keep away from your computer for one day?
What is the reason? Is it environmental, for instance?

I think I would manage it quite easily, but not when I am forced to use pc on school.
BPrice
what is the point in it?
what are people trying to achieve bye doing this?

I think everyone could do without their computers for one day if they really needed to I mean a computer is only a computer and nobody would die if they couldn't log on to a PC for 24 hours.
zjosie729
I came two days late. I would have wanted to do and coincidently that day was one of those days that I didn't use my computer that much. But I still didn't keep it shut down the whole time.
airh3ad
Hey guys its good to shutdown our computers its save energy and electricity ..
molif
yup its good to shutdown..

but how about those geeks in this world gonna survive..?
I wonder how they gonna get through the day..
airh3ad
Common man lets support ..yes to SHUTDOWN DAY SAVE EARTH SAVE ENERGY...
HamsterMan
Lets have a "Turn off your air condition day* instead.

If one family did it they would save about as much money as if 10-20 people didn't use their computers.

Or even a *Let's not let the coffee maker idle* day would save alot more.

Seriously, I've been keeping track of my computer/Monitor/Router/Speakers power usage for months, and it barely goes over 140Watt at all.
saratdear
@ everyone else : The 'official' day is over, although I personally feel that it might be good to have an unofficial day for each of us to stay away from the computer. Smile

@HamsterMan : Although power conservation is one of the objectives, the main reason for this day is to advocate the ill effects of spending a lot of time on the computer. So the power usage is not actually important. Smile