FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Do you actually finish games?

datter
I have this thing about not finishing games, the ol' attention span of a gnat thing tunes up and that's all she wrote. I'm talking about games I actually like on some level too. In general I play a given title for about a month or so, then interest wanes. I might come back to it a month or so later but typically that's just in passing.

Limiting myself to the PC and either Xbox for the sake of not delving too far into the past... games I recall finishing to completion would be;

• Mafia (finished twice)
  • Call of Duty 4 (also finished twice once on PC and once on the 360)
  • Call of Duty (the original)
  • Crysis (once and a bit)
  • GTA San Andreas (but not the Vice City or the others)
  • SWAT4 (original single player "campaign")
  • Operation Flashpoint (original campaign)
  • Half-Life and Half-Life 2
  • Halo (but not Halo 2, and just now starting 3 and likely won't finish it)
  • Portal (love the song)

I know I'm forgetting some titles here, but likely not many and I've started a lot. Also, I've run through a lot of open ended games a fair amount, and while they don't get "finished" as such I've completed various maps in Civ4, SimCity and even played some people to death (literally) in the Sims 2. That said, I'd guess my "games started" to "games completed" ratio is something like 30:1 against.

Do you generally finish games to completion or just play until something else comes along, or until you lose interest?
chartcentral
I have finished some games before, particularly on the Nintendo Entertainment System (the good old Family Computer). Currently though, I can't seem to progress with the games I have installed on my PC. Smile
Vladalf
I generally try to finish all my games but I tend to finish those with immersive story, that keep me all night playing, and not all are perfect there. For example: I played the whole Half Life series and finished them all but I didn't finish any Need for Speed. Half Life has a nice plot to it, the player has allot of questions since they start and must have them answered and they play till the end. Need for Speed on the other hand, has a simple plot and just alot of challanges.
-Vladalf
Nutteloos
I typically finish games I start and then find myself wanting to play another round of the same game... which I'll never finish. This rule really applies to most games I've finished once.

I don't really find myself not finishing a game once I've started it but second runs can become tedious at times.

Edit: I have the same thing with books, actually. Once I start re-reading one I'm progressing at half speed and often give up about halfway.
Insanity
I've finished only a couple of games in the past, but I definitely do not have the time or energy to spend so much time to beat a game. A lot of the games I've played are RPGs that require a lot of time to beat 100%. Then there are the games where you have to unlock stuff, and I don't consider them complete until I have unlocked everything. Nowadays I just stick to multiplayer games that don't require beating the game.
Yantaal
i almost always finish games. its rare that i dont. i will basically play a game untill i get stuck beyond belief or complete it. some games i just keep playing if completed others iw will stop and never look at it again. it really depends.

Ocarina of Time, for example. i must have completed about 10 times, and still enjoy playing it. and thats years old.
Sphaerenkern
Depends if I like the game.
For example, I got Need for Speed: Most Wanted for Multiplayer. I don't like it that much, but you have to play the singleplayer-campaign to get racing cars.
Well, I completed the campaign, but I won't go any further, doing the challenges or something.

In former times, I was into FPS. Well, I finished the singleplayer mostly, but I didn't get every bonus and stuff.

Nowadays I play Action Adventures from time to time and I really LOVE to complete them. Totally. Completed Tomb Raider: Legend and I'm still on Beyond Good & Evil to get it 100%.
_AVG_
Normally, I never finish games off. I either get bored of them or am incapable of finishing them!

The only games that I have finished are:
- The Nintendo Pokemon Games
- RPG Games
- Harry Potter Games
traxion
_AVG_ wrote:
Normally, I never finish games off. I either get bored of them or am incapable of finishing them!

The only games that I have finished are:
- The Nintendo Pokemon Games
- RPG Games
- Harry Potter Games

lol

i play games to finisch.. to bad u cant play football games out.. or MP games

i post only games of the ps3, on the pc there are to much

- skate
- motorstorm
- pes (almost every cup+league)
- cod4
- R&C:tools of destruction
- warhawk
- AC

so fare:D
ddukki
Man, I thought I was one of the only people who didn't finish games all the way through. I think I can count all the games I've finished on both my hands ... Let's see:

Not in any particular order:
> Super Mario World (SNES)
> Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64)
> Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (N64)
> Gameboy Zelda Series [Oracles / Link's Awakening] (GB / GBC)
> Star Wars: Rogue Squadron (N64)
> Final Fantasy Tactics (PS)
> Final Fantasy IX (PS)
> Final Fantasy VII (PS)
> Final Fantasy X (PS2)
> Ratchet and Clank (PS2)
> Star Ocean 3: Till the End of Time (PS2)
> Pokemon Red & Blue (GB)
> Chrono Series [Trigger / Cross] (PS)

Yeah, I believe that's it. You have to realize that those are only a few out of the thirty or so games I own. Not to mention the emulators and ROMs I have ... But you didn't hear that from me.

Games that I've officially given up on:
> Paper Mario (N64)
> Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES)
> Final Fantasy VIII (PS)
> Final Fantasy VI or III (SNES)
> Final Fantasy IV or II (PS)
> Final Fantasy: Dawn of Souls (GBA)
> Secret of Mana (SNES)
enygmasoft
Not since I have 2 kids that use this more than me. My oldest is 5 years old now, the last game i passed was Soul Reaver 2.
spinout
Hm, I have finished:

Fallout and fallout 2.
Flat out.
fight night boxing 3 ie boxed until i got all rewards n got too old.
King of chicago (Atari ST)

... hm, also I can say that i played pirates (pc) to the end a couple of times...
nivinjoy
I do complete the games if i get interested a lot in them...!!! But after playing for a while if in case i get bored..i leave them as it is...!!! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Then i don't feel like playing it again...!!! I think it is common with all the gamers out there...!!! Right..??

Laughing Cool Laughing
dirkvb
Mostly I play until i'm not interested enymore.

But last times i play lots of games till the end.
For example: Hitman 2, if you play it very attentive it is alright.
But the last mission starts to get bored because i don't come past one point so...

But further i mostly play games till i don't like them enymore

Greetz
vonboy
usually i do get to finish a game, but for games like zelda, i just beat the main game and never get around to finding all the hearts or doing all the secret side-quests.
blk3
I usually finish most games i played, those with endings at least as some older games way back in the 8-bit ages tend to just loop.
IllusionSoftware
I sometimes do finish the games I play. Other times I just get bored of the game.

[*] San Andreas
[*] Half-Life
[*] Halo 1, 2, 3
[*] Call of Duty 1, 2, 4
[*] Gears of War

There are quite a bit more but I don't remember Sad
Ghost900
I think I have finished every game I played except a small few.

I have finished:
Half Life, Half Life 2, Episode 1 and Episode 2.
All four of the Guild Wars installments(I haven't done every quest but finished alot along with the main story)
Halo and Halo 2
Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy
Battlefield 1942(Since this is mostly multi-player I don't know if you can beat it)
Medal of Honor: Allied Assault, Breakthrough, Spearhead
Portal
The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion
Empire Earth and Expansion

I know I missed a few but the ones I have not finished are Starcraft and Warcraft 3.
Nutteloos
I know I started playing The Frozen Throne expansion to Warcraft III and made it all the way to the final mission... then I got bored, quit it and uninstalled the game. Never even seen the ending movie. Laughing
imera
So far I have finished all my games except one, the Sims 2, because it's impossible. A couple of years back I was also playing runescape, that one I didn't finish either.

Usually I finish games after a week, or two, because I don't like to wait.
william
Well, here's the thing. It depends on the game. Often I lose interest after a couple months and then give up. However, the games that have a lasting appeal, I always finish. The primary example I'm going to use is the Metroid series. What can I say? The game is amazing. For example, Metroid Prime. On average, it takes about 30 hours to finish the game. That doesn't include the amount of time you spent between the save station and being destroyed. It may seem tedious, but I could never leave the game. After beating a boss, I just had to see what was next, and this went on all the way until defeating Metroid Prime with the Phazon beam. Cool

Anyhow, the point is, I finish games that I enjoy and have a lasting appeal. I can easily say this for the Metroid series, but I can also say it for Zelda, Mario, F-Zero, Donkey Kong, and Banjo Kazooie. Now, steering away from Nintendo (loved my N64 and GCN), there's also Half-Life, Call of Duty, and others. Nowadays, I'm really busy, so I'm unable to say much about the games I'm playing right now. I've tried out Call of Duty 4, Bioshock, and Crysis. Right now, I can just say that I'm already bored of Crysis. Might just be because of the frame rates. Crying or Very sad
driftingfe3s
I would say that for me it's about half and half, with just a tad more on the games completed side. Usually I tend to stick with the same game untill I have beat it. The only reasons that I wouldn't complete a game would be number one, the game sucks. I started the game to see how it is then somewhere along the line come to realize that the game blows and is not worth finishing. The second reason would be that the game is just too freaking hard.
achowles
Have finished:
Quake 1 - 3, Half - Life, SWAT 4, Dawn of War, Condemned, Doom 3, Supreme Commander, Prey, Splinter Cell, Knights of the Old Republic, Morrowind, Raven Shield, Deus Ex, Soldier of Fortune 1 & 2, Red Alert 1 & 2 (both campaigns in each), Need For Speed Underground 2, GTA, GTA 3, Earth 2150, Diablo 2...

Damn, I could go on, but it seems like it's quite a list.

Presently, I intend to finish:
Forged Alliance, STALKER, Battle For Middle Earth 2, Quake 4.
Nameless
Literally I don't finish most of the games I start playing, but if you only count the games I've played for more than a few hours then I tend to finish most of them (I play a lot of freeware games, so if I'm interested in something I'll download it and try it out for a day before deciding whether to play it seriously or not). Occasionally I'll get bored of a game, or sometimes I'll be unable to finish it because it's too difficult, but mostly I stick them out and enjoy them to the end - partly since I usually only play one game at a time, too (exception: sometimes I might be playing, say, a TBS and a FPS depending on the mood I'm in)

Anyway, yeah, I've finished a lot of video games. Whether that's a thing to be proud of or not is a different matter.
Keran
I've played a lot of games and finish almost every one of them. It doesn't take me long to finish one game, like a week or two, even the long ones. If the game is interesting and cool I play just to see what will happen next. If the game is boring or bad, I try to finish it asap to not have to play it anymore...
If I don't pass the game I've started I'm usually sad and eventually I return to it to finish it.

Games that I didn't finished:
- Medievial 2: Kingdoms (3 out of 4 campaigns played, it just doesn't make any sense to play any longer, each campaign offers the same gameplay...)
- Devil May Cry 3, final fantasy and other japaneese games ( those game are really ODD... just like all the japaneese games I've played)
- Guild Wars main quest Razz
- Sacred (and the addon)

and few other I can't remember now.
j0yfuln0is3
Oh yes, I feel that you've wasted your money on a game if you don't complete it!
Laughing

Games now are so engaging, with interesting story lines. And with HD graphics then it's like an interactive film!

Having said that, I buy a lot of party games (WarioWare etc) which you can't really complete as such..
frih
datter wrote:
I have this thing about not finishing games, the ol' attention span of a gnat thing tunes up and that's all she wrote. I'm talking about games I actually like on some level too. In general I play a given title for about a month or so, then interest wanes. I might come back to it a month or so later but typically that's just in passing.

Limiting myself to the PC and either Xbox for the sake of not delving too far into the past... games I recall finishing to completion would be;

• Mafia (finished twice)
  • Call of Duty 4 (also finished twice once on PC and once on the 360)
  • Call of Duty (the original)
  • Crysis (once and a bit)
  • GTA San Andreas (but not the Vice City or the others)
  • SWAT4 (original single player "campaign")
  • Operation Flashpoint (original campaign)
  • Half-Life and Half-Life 2
  • Halo (but not Halo 2, and just now starting 3 and likely won't finish it)
  • Portal (love the song)

I know I'm forgetting some titles here, but likely not many and I've started a lot. Also, I've run through a lot of open ended games a fair amount, and while they don't get "finished" as such I've completed various maps in Civ4, SimCity and even played some people to death (literally) in the Sims 2. That said, I'd guess my "games started" to "games completed" ratio is something like 30:1 against.

Do you generally finish games to completion or just play until something else comes along, or until you lose interest?

very rarely
Kelcey
I typically always finish games. If not, I sell them.
Pikokola
I 99% finish all game that I started. (except those that too strange to be finished, or don't have "finish" on it)

- FF I, II, III, IV, V, VI (on emulator)
- FF VII, IX, X (I'm not finishing FF VII, it's just too strange for me)
- Chrono Cross (+ all of the side ending from the Now Game+)
- Chrono Trigger
- Lots of random digimon game.
- Some random Pokemon game.
- Lots of random RTS game, RA2, RA2:Yuri's revenge, C&C General, Zero Hour, etc etc
- some Turn based RTS, Legend of Kartia, FF Tactics, etc etc
- a few action/action rpg game like Metal Slug Series, Drakengard, Drakengard 2, Dynasty warrior series, etc etc
- small number of racing game, Crash Team Racing (which is only 98% complete), and some grand turisimo carrer mode..

and many more *_*

those that I didn't finish is... FF VII, some random digimon/pokemon game *_*, Persona 2, etc etc...
roninmedia
I don't finish a lot of games as I don't play that many games in the first place since my list of ownership is small. With many games, I get bored with a portion of the way through and I stop playing. My list of completed games is very short.
Indyan
I am not a gamer but yeah, I do finish games.
Games I have finished in recent past are :
COD IV
Fear
Bioshock
Prey
Half Life 2
Boffel
Answer: No, I newer finish them because I get too bored when im half finished.

I think make games is cooler
medievalman26
I always finish them...some may take me a while <coughfinalfantasygamescough> but I still tend to finish them within the first week of getting them. Ok, that is a lie. If I like the game I finish it, and if I have time I finish...I will finish that ff game, eventually Wink
lethaltriad
If the game is really good I would finish it. Last couple games I finished and played it again to finish it on the hardest level were Gears of War, Bioshock and Call of Duty 4. I played Lost Planet till the last boss and didnt bother to beat him. Fighting Green Eye was much more fun that the transformer like battle scene at the end so I just didnt bother to fight. Also I finished Need for speed underground 1 but played part 2 and didnt bother to reach far cuz the gameplay just wasnt there.
Seiji
I rarely finish games, last one I completely finished was Jade Empire: Special PC Edition. I'm about to get a new graphics card so I'll be able to play the higher end games which I doubt I will finish Laughing
Kelcey
Heh, I'm actually having trouble finishing persona 3 fes right now. Same with GTA4. I've sort of hit a slow spot on both of them.
Zuex
Within my lifetime i'd say i've completed 80% of all the games i've owned/loaned/borrowed. It's just a habbit whether i like the game or not. I guess it's because me and my cousins used to race to see who could finish it first, and understand the game well. Razz HardcoreGamer<3
gtoroap
My list.

God of War 2.
Bioshock
Donkey Kong 64
Smash Brothers Melee

All in a month.
SpellcasterDX
Only games that keep me interested long enough or can ACTUALLY be completed without going out of your way.

For example, the GTA series and the Pokemon series, I never finished and never will. To complete a pokemon game fully, you have to beat the battle tower and "catch 'em all." Well catching them all takes waaaaayyy too long so yea I lose interest and just give up.

As for the GTA series, the most I can manage is complete like half of the insane stunts and finish the main story. But all the side-missions take too long and are a waste of time, imo.

I don't think I've completed ANY of my games. hahahaha
princemac
Man I think I have OCD when it comes to finishing games, something just keeps nagging at we when I know I haven't finished a game. And Im proud to say I beaten all the GBA english RPGS ever made to dates (yeah i know i dont have a life but Im an RPG tout) Most PSX RPGs I;ve also beaten but there are alot of them and I kinda pick and choose when deciding which to play next based on graphics and storyline. I dont really play PC games only one and two, now and again but most online PC MMORPG like conquer, eudemons, silkrode, and zeroonline. But you can't really "beat or conquer" those since they are never ending.
Warberg
I have finished FF7 to full FULL FULL! completion. God of War. Ratchet and Clank. Lord of the Rings. Kirby Nightmare in Dreamland. Megaman Zero. Ace Combat 5. Front Mission 4. Guitar hero if that counts.
matti05
I played much games, but I didn't finish all, some were boring me, save disappeared me to the part.
List my finished games:
- Sacred
- Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
- Spellforce (with additions)
- S.W.A.T. 4
- Diablo II
- Warcraft III
- Command and Conquer: Red Alert 1 & 2
- Heroes IV & V
- Stronghold II & Stronghold: Legends
- Empire Earth II.

Maybe I finished more games, but I don't remeber it. Razz
ddukki
Pikokola wrote:
I 99% finish all game that I started. (except those that too strange to be finished, or don't have "finish" on it)

- FF I, II, III, IV, V, VI (on emulator)
- FF VII, IX, X (I'm not finishing FF VII, it's just too strange for me)
- Chrono Cross (+ all of the side ending from the Now Game+)
- Chrono Trigger
- Lots of random digimon game.
- Some random Pokemon game.
- Lots of random RTS game, RA2, RA2:Yuri's revenge, C&C General, Zero Hour, etc etc
- some Turn based RTS, Legend of Kartia, FF Tactics, etc etc
- a few action/action rpg game like Metal Slug Series, Drakengard, Drakengard 2, Dynasty warrior series, etc etc
- small number of racing game, Crash Team Racing (which is only 98% complete), and some grand turisimo carrer mode..

and many more *_*

those that I didn't finish is... FF VII, some random digimon/pokemon game *_*, Persona 2, etc etc...
Yeah ... I didn't really finish Digimon World either ... and Pokemon is a game that even if you beat it, it doesn't even feel like you beat it. FFVII is too strange? I guess I was creeped out in Nibelheim, but other than that, it was fine ...
powerfusion66
It 's all about time...
Personally i finished some games this years including Crysis and CoD4.
The problem is that due the lack of time i have some really good game titles such as Bioshock and CoH where i paused my progress. Sad
kicy
Usually I don't finish games because after 20 hours I get bored of it. Only some games I finish like The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion, Portal (it was short anyways), Tales of Phantasia, and ... umm .. Frogger. I have a ton of unfinished games, and games I haven't even played. Which is pretty funny, but not to some people. Oh! I also finished halo 1, halo 2, and halo 3.

Well I don't know whats wrong with me, but thats the way I roll.
Nameless
Pikokola wrote:
- some Turn based RTS ...

Some turn based real time strategies? I think the term you're looking for there might be ... Turn Based Strategy (TBS)? Lol.
shortorlong
I can rarely play a game more than 2 days, maybe 10% i play more than a week and almost none more than a month.

Exceptions are StarCraft and WoW. I dont play WoW anymore but i still play SC and can't WAIT for SC2
bloodrider
It depends on the games, unfortunately most of the games that came out nowadays doesn't keep me interested too much time, they're too similar Sad
I only finish a game when it's really different or as a interest history (and I can't avoid to finish so I can see the story completely unfold Razz)
Some of the games that I've lastly finish:
--> Half Life 2
--> Portal
--> The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
--> S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl
--> Age of Empires III
--> Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords
--> F.E.A.R.
wombatrpgs
I make it a point to only purchase/play games that I will eventually finish. So there are a limited number of games I actually take pride in completing... Right now, that's Ancient Domains of Mystery and Legend of Zelda: Adventures of Link. Mainly because both absolutely hated the player and gave every reason for you to die possible, but somehow remained fun and playable.
Fake
Most of them I do try to finish, but not longer than 4 days at one game
Zombie
Ya I just finished Wow, and Runescape. Just kidding lol, I play MMOs mostly, so it's kind of impossible to "beat" them.
selevan
Mainly i finish game that i really love, for example when i came to the alien ship in Crysis i just shut down game Smile

The best finished games so far:

Diablo
Diablo II
Baldur's Gate
Neverwinter Nights
Kingpin
Lego Racer
Broken Sword II
Quake
Unreal Tournament 99
Unreal Tournament 2004
Mass Effect
Assassins Creed

and many other older and newer that i dont remember Wink

Anyway it isn't hard to finish the game, the real achievment is to finish it 100%, to unlock everything and do any side quest. Thats most exhausing.
Faraz
Always! I have 100+ games, and I am proud to have completed all of them.

Speaking of which, I need to buy a new game. Summer is boring. Shocked
danway60
If it's a game on the Playstation or something I always try to complete it. However, flash games on the internet, I will play for as long as I can, but I usually get bored and go find something else to do.
Some flash games I complete though. But only if they are good.
Kunkstar7
I definitely completely finish every game I get. When I get a new game i end up devoting most of my time to that game until i have completed it. Like with the Final Fantasy games, i put quite a few hours into those, getting those done. But after completing the game once, if its not good for much more, i lose interest in it.
tamilparks
i finished the games

Jet pack 100 level

and Dave
Whong
Not all but yes some. Eg. Super Mario 64 and many other games I've finished whereas games like Mario Tennis or others I haven't...
ToxicDevil
Depends on the game itself, most games like Halo and other FPS and TPS games are easy to finish and I do so, but other games have no end such as MMORPG's like World of Warcraft and therefore those can't be finished.... Most console games however are easy to finish and I usually do
gugusm
Yes, I always try to do so at least Wink
calla225
I try to finish all the games I play. But it seems a lot of the time I'll play a game to around its halfway point, or even almost to its end. And then I put it down and do something else for a while and wind up leaving it unfinished for about half a year or so.

Unless I'm really really into the game at the moment and it's short. Also with some RPG and action games, I get distracted by sidequests.
Fatality
I finish most games I start.

A few games I've finished that I can think of:
Halo (Easy - Legendary)
Halo 2 (Easy - Heroic, I don't remember if I finished all of legendary or not)
Half Life
Half Life 2 (incl. Episode 1 & 2)
StarCraft
WC1, WCII, most of WC3
Guild Wars (Prophecies - Nightfall)
Medal of Honor
Call of Duty 1
Civ I & II

Theres probably more, but those are what i can think of right now.

~Fatality
deStructuralized
I try to finish most, but it's sometimes hard to keep up given a busy schedule.