FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

warning

budazz
hey guys i discovered a software that can actually get all your html files,even the swf,avi....everything that is in your website...i forgot the name of that software...i just want to share with you guys...when i get the name ill post it right away....ive tested it and it really works....this is so bothering....someone can hack your website and get all your files..( hhhmmmm at some point mybe i should not tell the name) except if you know it....) what do you think?.... Shocked
tidruG
budazz wrote:
hey guys i discovered a software that can actually get all your html files,even the swf,avi....everything that is in your website...i forgot the name of that software...i just want to share with you guys...when i get the name ill post it right away....ive tested it and it really works....this is so bothering....someone can hack your website and get all your files..( hhhmmmm at some point mybe i should not tell the name) except if you know it....) what do you think?.... Shocked

To be honest, I already knew that there are loads of softwares that can leech your all your files, including embedded audio/video or pictures, though I can't remember the names right now... But basically anything you put on your site can be viewed by the public.... so it really doesn't make much difference... if you don't want people to see some of your private information, you're better off not putting it on the Net....
Dimaod
Sorry for my Bad English
The name of this program is Teleport....
It downloads only that files that have links on your website....
Like there is Home or Music link on your website and this program downloads HTML or PHP pages(Home or Music)
It cant download all files from your sever(it can if you enter your password and username in options of download)
So dont worry Wink
progman89
The program doesn't do anything differently than you would if you were using a web browser to visit all the pages on a site; it just does it very quickly. You can't access password-protected files any more than you can from a browser with the legitimate programs.
Sunny
Hold on I am confused!

It grabs images/flash/media etc etc files stored in a indexed directory? If so whoa, No one will buy scripts anymore just run the program and steel it.

or It grabs those files used in a html file? If so whats special about it when you open a webpage all the stuff including flash, images, media files are first stored in your cache (temp) folder from there you can always save it to a folder.
althalus
Dimaod wrote:
Like there is Home or Music link on your website and this program downloads HTML or PHP pages(Home or Music)

It wouldn't download the raw php-files, they would be parsed by the server before sent through to the program, so it's not much different from viewing the source as mentioned..

It can be a pretty nifty program really.. I was downloading a lot of zip/rar files with graphics for a program and it would have taken me ages to download them all manually (200+), but with one of these programs I just specified what files I wanted and where they could be found. Smile
budazz
its illegal.... Very Happy does the cpanel has a protection for it?... Question
althalus
If using that program would be illegal, so would browsing with Firefox or Internet Explorer...

I guess the program is what you use it for..

Bottom line, if you're afraid of people stealing your stuff with such programs, don't upload it to the server. It's that simple.
budazz
your right....: ) maybe we should be ready when we publish our website///: ) Very Happy
corey
There are many sitegrabbers out there. Heck, I've used one to download a backup of my site a few times (well, its wget, not a sitegrabber, but can be set to grab the whole thing). Many downloaders can be configured to recurse through directories. It can be quite useful. Its the spiders that don't obey the .htaccess and robots.txt that worry me.
Daniel15
It's not possible for a client to not obey a .htaccess file, as it's processed on the server. Spiders that don't follow the robots.txt file are annoying, though.
paul_indo
Site rippers are old hat now. They've been around for well over ten years.
Some are capable of ripping every file they find as they search trough a directory structure or being set just to get certain file extensions.

It is possible to rip a site to the point where it can be stored and run off anyones hard drive just like the original site.

Some sites do have forms of protection enabled, but just like all protection techniques the ripping software progammers constantly update to try and get around it.

The bottom line, as has been pointed out, is that if your site can be viewed on the net, so what if someone rips it and views it from their PC offline.
It,s not really that big a deal, and very unlikely.

The main use of site rippers is to get multiple files without having to click on all the links. For example saya I want to download a whole bunch of textures or plugins for a paint program. I just type in the URL of the directory and the site ripper will follow all links from there. If I tell it the file extensions I am looking for it will filter out all the rest and give me a list of all available files to download.
Arin
paul_indo wrote:
The main use of site rippers is to get multiple files without having to click on all the links.

Yes, you are right. But idea of such software comes from dark ages, when most of users had dial-up connection to the Internet. When someone found an interesting site, and would like to actually read all of it's contents - dial-up connection costs would be very high. So it was quite simple that it is better to 'mirror' whole site on a local hdd and browse it offline.

And about scripts - imho only browser-side scripts are available for stealing. Server-side scripts only give html code, so to get their source-code the hosting server needs to be hacked.

Cheers,
Arin.
webapp
There are plenty of programs which can leech your complete site,
Here is just a few list

Teleport Pro
Flashget
DAP
Many more to list

Go to Download.com and search for any and u can find 1000's of them

Most of them also offfers to filter only specific file types ex avi , graphics etc....which sometimes is very handy....

Some sites do not allow leeching or claim it is illegal to leech from their site so watch out.....

Leechers are useful when u have a dialup or lets say u are going on vacation with ur laptop to remote island but want to grab everything from your brother's photo gallery.... before going its easy..and fast

I use to use them sometimes when u have to download lots of photos.....
but don't have time and patience to individually download them.....
S3nd K3ys
budazz wrote:
its illegal.... Very Happy

No it's not. If it were, you wouldn't have 'browse offline' options or "Save Page As" options. That's all that program does.
gonzo
offline explorer enterprise
yjwong
By the way, you can type a HTML page with the links of the media then click "Save Link As...".

If you don't know what am I talking about, here it is.

No need for softwares!
pacslim
yjwong wrote:
By the way, you can type a HTML page with the links of the media then click "Save Link As...".

If you don't know what am I talking about, here it is.

No need for softwares!

true i wanted to say that too i use this way 2 allways to download a page its content and files lol Wink Arrow

pz, ..