FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Give users compile access / please compile something for me!

simplyw00x
Hi, I'm still trying to install ikiwiki --- I managed, through tremendous jumping-through-hoops, to install all the pre-required perl modules, but now I hit:
Code:

rendering todo/attachments_plugin.mdwn
rendering todo/mailnotification.mdwn
rendering todo/allow_creation_of_non-existent_pages.mdwn
rendering todo/format_e*** glibc detected *** double free or corruption (!prev): 0x09fd9588 ***
make: *** [extra_build] Aborted (core dumped)

(full log at http://pastebin.org/29635)

I'm pretty sure this relates to not having the privileges to run gcc. So, could bondings either install ikiwiki or let me do it myself, please?
Hogwarts
There's a feature in cPanel to disable compilers to users. That's probably enabled right now for security reasons.

(Which might mean that Bondings is disinclined to reenable it)
simplyw00x
Ok, I've managed to install ikiwiki (just...) but I can't use the CGI features (i.e. what makes it useful) without a C-compiler. Please! /begs

On a side-note, any change of a VCS designed since 1987? Razz
yupeng
Frihost's Hosting with C-compiler?
I don't think you'll get this feature......
At one level,our Great Hosting Master may be give you this feature. Laughing
zellfaze
Someone might be able to rewrite the program in a language such as php, then it would work right? That would solve the problem, although it may take a while.
rvec
I don't really think it's possible. Or they wouldn't be using any of the good stuff C can bring in.

When Bondings is online I'll ask him quickly if he will consider giving users permission to compile or install a C-compiler.
simplyw00x
Quote:
Frihost's Hosting with C-compiler?

We useed to have it...

Quote:
I don't think you'll get this feature......

Why not? It's already installed and activated, and is a negligible security risk (someone could just compile a binary then upload it if they wanted to attack the server...)

Quote:
Someone might be able to rewrite the program in a language such as php, then it would work right? That would solve the problem, although it may take a while.

True, but that doesn't really solve the issue...

Quote:
When Bondings is online I'll ask him quickly if he will consider giving users permission to compile or install a C-compiler.

It's already installed, he just needs to chmod /usr/bin/gcc
Hogwarts
Wrong, simplyw00x.

cPanel WHM wrote:
Compilers Tweak

This tweak will disable the system's C and C++ compilers for unprivileged. Many common exploits require a working C compiler on the system. You can also choose to allow some users to use the compilers while they remain disabled by default.

Bondings, by all accounts, is probably a security guy (Although that doesn't explain a minor XSS explot on the frihost site =/)
simplyw00x
Quote:
Wrong, simplyw00x.

How so? The cPanel setting doesn't do anything more thn a chmod...
polly-gone
I have something to add to this. We need something like a command line prompt or something. I was trying to install a plug-in for Wordpress and the final step was to run a command, but I couldn't.

-Nick Mad Mad Mad
rvec
polly-gone wrote:
I have something to add to this. We need something like a command line prompt or something. I was trying to install a plug-in for Wordpress and the final step was to run a command, but I couldn't.

-Nick Mad Mad Mad

fresh from the press: http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-3725.html#774079
Razz

We won't be adding that because of security. Bondings said that a couple of times, can't remember where.
simplyw00x
Quote:
We need something like a command line prompt or something.

Shell access is usually a pretty restricted feature, even on paid hosts. You can, however, divest in the next best thing [0]. It's not a completely dunctional replacement, and using it 24/7 would drive me bat-shit insane, but it works for small admin tasks.

[0] http://mgeisler.net/php-shell/
MrBlueSky
simplyw00x wrote:

[0] http://mgeisler.net/php-shell/

That won't work, because it uses proc_open(), which is disabled at frihost. All other process management functions are also disabled, so it isn't possible to install a PHP shell (not anymore, anyway).
simplyw00x
I used it 2 days ago. It works, on server 1 at least.
MrBlueSky
simplyw00x wrote:
I used it 2 days ago. It works, on server 1 at least.

Oh, then you're lucky Wink On server 2 they are disabled.