FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Games that revolutionaised the Gaming Industry

ainieas
So which games do you think brought about such a change in the gaming industry that it rose to rival the movie and music industry?

Although many games would vie for the top position i'd personally vote for Grand Theft Auto and Half-Life.
eday2010
The original Super Mario Bros.; without it, you wouldn't have any of the games you do today. It was a refreshing change from the repetitive stuff on the Atari and Colecovision systems, and got people interested in games again after the so-called "crash" in 1983 or 1984.
Insanity
Tetris?
KingPuff
I would have to agree with all the games posted so far. Adventure for the Atari 2600 also revolutionized the gaming industry. It was the first fantasy like adventure game, and had the first "easter egg". On a more recent note, the Wii is really changing things up with motion control...(So is the PS3, but I have to say that the Wii started it all) Smile
gtoroap
Well, I can list a few of them...

Tetris

Pacman

Sonic

Super Mario Bros.

Zelda

Super Mario 64

Castlevania

Bomberman

Counter Strike

Dance Dance Revolution

and the list never end.
Nameless
gtoroap wrote:
Well, I can list a few of them...

Next question: Can you justify any of them? Bomberman did not a revolutionised industry make.
djcaution
Half-Life took first person shooters to a whole new level for sure. Final Fantasy defined RPG gaming as we know it. I think Gran Turismo probably paved the road (pun SO intended hehe) in driving simulation.
blk3
Alone in the Dark - because it paved the way for other survival horror series like Resident Evil and Silent Hill

Final Fantasy - made the RPG genre widely known thru out the whole world not just in Japan

Metal Gear Solid - a game that has a solid story , nice gameplay, graphics that is a huge step from the last installment, and lots of new innovations when it come to stealth gameplay and diff. ways of using equipments.

Street Fighter II - a benchmark in 2D fighting game, a boom on 2D fighters followed from it

Virtua Fighter - popularize 3D fighting, that Tekken and other companies followed

Samurai Showdown - weapon based fighting, featuring some odd cast of characters

Medal of Honor - popularize the WWII FPS theme
QrafTee
I believe they are: Pong, Donkey Kong, Super Mario Bros., Tetris, The Legend of Zelda, Dragon Quest, Grand Theft Auto 3, Final Fantasy VII, Doom, Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter II, Virtua Fighter, Metal Gear Solid, and Pokemon (yes, Pokemon).

Apparently Super Mario Galaxy is supposed to be there somewhere too?
Fire Boar
Super Mario 64 is clearly the game that revolutionized 3D gaming. It's the first one that did it properly, and at the time it stunned and amazed so many people. At the time, it truly was a revolution.

Donkey Kong on the SNES (I can't remember its full title) was also a big win. It used the SNES's 16-bit system in such a way that the very best graphics possible were oozed from the system, making it look arguably better than many N64 games.
enygmasoft
Fire Boar wrote:
Super Mario 64 is clearly the game that revolutionized 3D gaming. It's the first one that did it properly, and at the time it stunned and amazed so many people. At the time, it truly was a revolution.

Donkey Kong on the SNES (I can't remember its full title) was also a big win. It used the SNES's 16-bit system in such a way that the very best graphics possible were oozed from the system, making it look arguably better than many N64 games.

Mario 64 set the bar for 3D games everywhere, including the controls which were copied by everyone and there mamA.
enygmasoft
Fire Boar wrote:

Mario 64 set the bar for 3D games everywhere, including the controls which were copied by everyone and there mamA.
Fire Boar
Careful not to be too trigger-happy on that submit button there. Smile

I don't think everyone and their mum copied it... there was really only one way that controlling something in 3D could happen on machines like the N64, Gamecube, PS* and XBox. With the Wii and DS though, there are now more possibilities that developers can explore.