FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Asus eee PC (Laptop) - Your thoughts?

KatanaSky
I've been wanting to get a laptop for a while now...

Something small, light, and capable of doing basic functions (e.g. word processing, light research, check email, etc...) and affordable. I don't think I will need anything with a large capacity drive or capable of storing a huge amount of files for I still plan on primarily using my home Desktop PC.

I've narrowed it down to the Asus eee. From the research I've done this laptop covers the basics and will definitely not break the bank. It is reasonably fast for it doesn't use XP and runs on Linux, basic programs are pre-installed so no need in investing in additional software. Wireless, yes - super small, light, and again, not expensive.

Do any of you have any experience with this device? What do you think about it?
william
I've used one, and have considered buying one. I like the fact that it's small and inexpensive. And I can tell you this, out of all these new inexpensive 7"-9" machines, the Eee is probably the best. HP has the Mininote 2133 and Everex has the Cloudbook (and Dell has one coming out soon). Both use a VIA processor which has shown to be much weaker than the underclocked Celeron in the Eee. The Eee will be able to do all those tasks with great ease. You can actually do a lot more than that on it. It's surprisingly powerful for it's specifications. There are a couple other things you should know. One is that the Eee is now available with Windows XP preinstalled and at the same price as the Linux version ($399). Plus, you also get a 4 GB SD Card and a mouse. It's a great deal if you ask me. Also, the 8.9" Eee is coming out soon, so you may want to consider it.

All in all, I'd say it was a great machine. It does what it's supposed to very well, and is able to do even more, without breaking the bank.
KatanaSky
william wrote:
I've used one, and have considered buying one. I like the fact that it's small and inexpensive. And I can tell you this, out of all these new inexpensive 7"-9" machines, the Eee is probably the best. HP has the Mininote 2133 and Everex has the Cloudbook (and Dell has one coming out soon). Both use a VIA processor which has shown to be much weaker than the underclocked Celeron in the Eee. The Eee will be able to do all those tasks with great ease. You can actually do a lot more than that on it. It's surprisingly powerful for it's specifications. There are a couple other things you should know. One is that the Eee is now available with Windows XP preinstalled and at the same price as the Linux version ($399). Plus, you also get a 4 GB SD Card and a mouse. It's a great deal if you ask me. Also, the 8.9" Eee is coming out soon, so you may want to consider it.

All in all, I'd say it was a great machine. It does what it's supposed to very well, and is able to do even more, without breaking the bank.

Thanks william! I am still considering this and doing a bit more research and reading reviews and such. I still like the fact that it's small, light, and capable of doing basic functions. The only thing that I am a little weary about is how there seems to be quite a few with issues with connecting to the internet via wifi/wireless.
j0yfuln0is3
I am a student and I've never had a laptop, but this seems like the perfect thing to take into lectures, lessons etc. because it's small light, and it has so many input ports... even an SD card slot on the side! There's an advantage to taking notes digitally, it saves physical space, its a lot more easier to organise, and its always legible.

Yes, I think I will be buying this laptop soon. I would like to learn more about how to install programs on Linux anyway...
KatanaSky
I recently sold a video software so I have enough to buy this along with a few accessories possibly. As soon as the money transfer hits my account I'm going to go for it!!! I am soooo excited!

I've done an extensive amount of research on this little machine. I've found that there are some people that compare it to regular laptops, saying things like you can get a "real" laptop for a little bit more money - but honestly I don't think you can compare this with the regular laptops.

My main thing is the portability and the ability to do the basics and I think this gadget will cover those well.
sketchup
Hi,

Are you aware that this machine only runs Linux?
If so, and you are already familiar with Linux than it's a nifty little thing! Although personally I think that 7" for a screen is really too small. Portable ok, but if you really want to be portable I'd take a Nokia N810. I really think 7" is just too small to work comfortably.

If you don't know Linux, you must know you can't run Windows programs (like Microsoft Office, MSN messenger) although there are some good open-source replacements.
A lot of people say that Linux is almost as simple to use as Windows, well it just isn't yet although it's getting better (I use Linux for quite a few years now).
The EePC can't run Windows.

A better choice might be the MSI Wind, which is not available yet although it will be soon. This one has the Intel Atom processor and a 10" screen which is much better to work on but still under 1 kilogram and they promise a working time of 7 hours (so in real live 4-5 hours which is still great).
The MSI Wind can run Windows or Linux (or both).

Well, hope I didn't make your choice any more difficult!

bye!
william
Actually, the Eee is available with XP as an option for $399. Great deal if you ask me, since you get more storage than the Linux version, plus accessories. Also, the modified Xandros Linux the Eee runs is actually very easy to use, and it's one of the few things that "just work." Remember, easy to learn, easy to work, easy to play. It comes preloaded with most of the applications you'll need. In most cases you won't need to install anything, but terminal is there if you want. Now, the MSI Wind is interesting. But it just looks like another company wants to enter the market Asus created. Thing is, it will retail from $470 to over $1000. Not worth it in my opinion, since one of the best parts of the Eee is price. Also, the Eee should get a refresh soon enough. The 8.9" model is out in Asia, and coming here soon. We will see Atom and increased storage.

Anyhow, you've got a lot of choices, and I'll be honest that the Wind is the only one right now that looks like a good competitor to the Eee's performance. We'll see how it turns out. It just might be a little expensive.

Anyhow, as I said, it's a great machine. If you want something small for basic tasks, the Eee is hard to beat. Plus, if you want some more power out of it, there's a simple mod that brings the underclocked Celeron from 630 MHz to the full 900 MHz. That's a really nice jump.

I wish you luck with your purchase. New subnotebooks from other companies (Dell, MSI, Acer) are on the horizon, but from the looks of it, I doubt any of them could match the performance, portability, and price of the the Eee.

Can't wait to see how it turns out! Good luck! Very Happy
KatanaSky
thank you both for your thorough response! Watson (that's what I've decided to call mine! Very Happy ) is coming in tomorrow afternoon - i am sooooooooooo excited!!! I've done research on this for MONTHS.

Yes, I am aware that it runs on Linux. I considered getting the version of the laptop which has XP but I decided to go for Linux, as I've always been curious about it. Like I've said... I don't plan on using the laptop as my main computer as I still plan on using my home desktop as my primary computer.

I am REALLY looking forward to learning about Linux, and to having the convenience of being able to basically have computer access anywhere.

I've got finals this coming week but at the end of the week or a little later I'll see if I can post up a review after getting settled with it and everything. Smile
sketchup
Played with an EeePC this weekend, the G4 to be exact.
Amazed again how small it is.
Tried typing a letter, the keyboard is just too small. then tried importing some files in OpenOffice 2, remembered again why I hated it a few months ago. Opening simple Word documents is working quite nice, but the ones with tables are messed up. Forget Excel files, just terrible.
The resolution of 800x480 is just unworkable. For watching movies it's quite nice but for documents and internet browsing it's a pain.
The Xandros 4 OS is worked out quite nice on the EeePC and does what it's designed for. In my opinion they've thought about everything. It's really an out of the box and work experience.
The wireless LAN works perfectly and Firefox also works perfectly (don't forget to upgrade to 2.0.0.14).
Later today we tested one with XP installed, didn't see it before. We also managed to overclock it to 1.2 GHz. but I think XP is just too slow on this machine.
Batterylife is adequate but I expected more of a LED backlighted LCD screen, solid state disc and a low consumption CPU. With normal use (WLAN on) battery life is about 3.5 hours, just half an hour more than my 15 inch hp dual core notebook (wich weighs 3 times the Eee, I know).

My opinion is that the Asus EeePC is a forerunner of a whole new breed of notebooks but I think that the competition (MSI, Medion, HP) will be more interesting than the EeePC is now, both in price and what you get for it (in all cases a bigger screen size with at leas 1024 pixels in width).

Let's see how this will go. I'm waiting for your experiences KatanaSky
xbcd
in my opinion this pc is a toy. a fun hacker toy with real uses for casual computer users. I would only buy this to mod it cause it seems like a fun, powerful hobby project.
peeters
i think it looks stupid...
Ghengis
If anybody is planning to get one of these after reading this thread, MAKE SURE you go and touch one in person first. Even in all the pictures of people holding them, comparing them to real-world objects, it's hard to appreciate just how tiny the little chicklet keys are, and how small the screen seems once you're standing in front of it. At the very least, consider the 9" model, which runs at a more respectable 1024x768 instead of 800x480.

I almost ordered one for my wife, but then I got her to actually try one (they had them at Micro Center) and she said it was just way too small -- and she was looking for an "ultraportable".

We wound up getting a 12" tablet -- I'll be posting in this forum about it soon.
KatanaSky
OH my gosh - I love my ASUS EEE!!!

It's perfect for me! Just to reiterate... I wanted a small laptop that I can do basic things like... check my emails, connect wireless via wifi etc.., take notes on a word processor with the normal functions like Microsoft word with spell check and all, and something I can easily carry with me.

This is exactly what this laptop does for me. If you're looking for a laptop that functions just as well as a regular PC, this may not be for you as it doesn't come with a CD/DVD drive, and it doesn't have the normal 40GB-200GB of space like a regular personal computer.

It's been described as a toy by many with its small capacity of 2GB to 8GB.

If you're consider the ASUS EEE, do your research and know exactly what you're looking for.

Here's useful link if you're curious about the specs and that sort of thing:
http://wiki.eeeuser.com/eee_pc_701
aningbo
btw whats ur budget?

hearing about this gadget for the first time.. m checking on it now...

EDIT: i think u might get a better laptop if u increase ur budget. what will you do with a 4GB Hard Disk?
psycosquirrel
aningbo wrote:
btw whats ur budget?

hearing about this gadget for the first time.. m checking on it now...

EDIT: i think u might get a better laptop if u increase ur budget. what will you do with a 4GB Hard Disk?

She already got it! Look up a post!

KatanaSky wrote:
OH my gosh - I love my ASUS EEE!!!

It's perfect for me! Just to reiterate... I wanted a small laptop that I can do basic things like... check my emails, connect wireless via wifi etc.., take notes on a word processor with the normal functions like Microsoft word with spell check and all, and something I can easily carry with me.

This is exactly what this laptop does for me. If you're looking for a laptop that functions just as well as a regular PC, this may not be for you as it doesn't come with a CD/DVD drive, and it doesn't have the normal 40GB-200GB of space like a regular personal computer.

It's been described as a toy by many with its small capacity of 2GB to 8GB.

If you're consider the ASUS EEE, do your research and know exactly what you're looking for.

Here's useful link if you're curious about the specs and that sort of thing:
http://wiki.eeeuser.com/eee_pc_701

I'm glad to hear it worked out. I simply cannot use the Eee, my hands are too big. I use a 12" Dell Latitude x300, because it was the smallest laptop I could get with a full-size keyboard. I got mine used for $400, and have a second I keep as a backup laptop of the first that I got for free. Very Happy

Are you planning on tinkering around with the install at all? I've heard you can do all sorts of awesome things with the Eee.
Ghengis
Has anybody seen the EEE desktop they're coming out with? I guess it's similar hardware specs, but in a "mac mini" type of case. I think it's a bit overpriced for what they give you, though...
LotusNegra
My opinion? Work a little more, get a little more money, and buy something a little better.. A basic core2 duo 1GB 120GB is not that much more than a Ee..
Ghengis
@Lotus: even if you spend more, you are unlikely to get what the EEE is offering -- tiny, really really light mobile computing. It's just finishing off a missing piece of the market. From the small end, you have mobile phones, then PDAs, then "Internet Devices" like the Nokia 770, then "palmtop PCs" like the Libretto. From the big end, you have desktops, then "Entertainment" laptops with 20" screens, down through your average 14" student laptop. The missing link up until a few years ago has been christened the "ultraportable" laptop, which is in the 10-12" range. (All the EEEs fall in this range, because even the "seven inch" model has a huge bezel on what would otherwise be about a 10" case)

Anyway, to get back to my point, it's about what you're going to do with it. You could get a 14" system with better specs for not much more, sure, but that's going to weigh twice as much. You could maybe even find a 10" with a much better processor, but a) it's going to cost at least twice as much, and b) all that power will suck down your battery much faster than the low-end EEE hardware. (You could alleviate (b) by getting a bigger battery, but now you're losing the weight advantage again). If all you want to do is browse the web and play Popcap games or SSH to your "real" computer, the EEE should be more than up to the task. I'd get one myself, if they had a higher-resolution screen. My overall point, though, is that the EEE has a place in the market, it's just not for everyone.
shenyl
Acer Aspire also uses the Intel Atom 1.6Ghz with FSB 533 and 512k internal cache.

It comes with 8 GB SSD (solid state disk) with a SD storage expansion - that increases the SSD disk capacity from 8 to 16 or more GB. That is on Linux, do not know if it works on XP.

It also has the option of a 120GB HDD.

I need more info on the ATOM processor for more serious XP work, before I commit to it.

This is the same processor used by MSI Wind (10 inch LCD).

Cost slightly lesser than the MSI Wind.

Would be good that more discussion on the ATOM processor could be done.

With regards.
psycosquirrel
Systems with the Atom don't fall into the same category. They are targeting a different audience... The EEE was designed to be ultraportable with low performance, whereas the Atom goes for slightly more performance at an enormous price tag.
shenyl
Here in Singapore, Acer Aspire with Atom 1.6Ghz and 120 GB HDD is priced at the same range as PC-EEE (close to within 50 dollars).

So price is not a differentiation here.

Just for your info.
psycosquirrel
Ah. Then get the system with the Atom. It will be better than the Eee.
bsatechnologies
I agree with Lotus Negra. Go for Centrino2 processor based Laptop as this ee pcs are not value for money in the long run.
Ghengis
Again, it's all about what you're looking for. Can you get a Centrino 2 laptop the same size and weight as the EEE at all, let alone for 400 bucks? Some people don't have any use (at all!) for a fast processor. If all you do with the computer is use Google Docs and check your email, you can get by with something scrappy like this. It has its purpose, it's just not for you.
TheOnionRack
I have one of the new EEE PC 1000H ones with XP and I love it. Most people worry about the low resolution with them, but it looks great to me. The specs are also a bit more handsome than the other EEEs as well. I bought mine for school because it has a huge battery life and it is small and light. Plus! It can play nearly any modern game that I throw at it. I definitely recommend them to anybody who is interested.
georgeodowd
This is great info! I've been looking at one of these to carry around for writing, as I tend to accumulate notebooks like crazy.
pll
TheOnionRack wrote:
I have one of the new EEE PC 1000H ones with XP and I love it. Most people worry about the low resolution with them, but it looks great to me. The specs are also a bit more handsome than the other EEEs as well. I bought mine for school because it has a huge battery life and it is small and light. Plus! It can play nearly any modern game that I throw at it. I definitely recommend them to anybody who is interested.

Really interesting.

I considered to buy one but I am going to college next year and they'll want me to buy a computer that can handle 3D renders... So I'll keep my money. I was also worried about the low resolution.

But those EEEs seems to be amazing, they are great sellers and a lot of other companies are copying the "netbook" concept.
Well, if I had no need to buy a better computer I think I'd already have one of these EEE.

I'd like to know if we can plug it into a bigger screen ?
psycosquirrel
I just got an Eee 900HA. I got it for $250 after Microsoft CashBack and a coupon code for ebay.

It is simply amazing. Be sure to get the 900HA. It has an Atom core, which is way faster than the Celly on the standard 900s. It also has a full-size laptop hard drive, and is still tiny!

I'm posting from it now. Smile

And yes, it has a VGA output and will drive insanely high resolutions through it (like 2560x1650 or so)
georgeodowd
I recently tried one out, and although I liked it better than the Aspire, the keyboard kind of threw me. I would be using a mini notebook mostly for writing, so I need something that's pretty easy to type on. The keys on the eee were just a little too small for me.
albuferque
I've got an ASUS Eee PC 2G Surf (7-Inch Display, Intel Mobile Processor, 512 MB RAM, 2 GB Hard Drive, Linux Preloaded) Galaxy Black.
This is my "Personal Assistant/Computer", additionally I've ordered with an Transcend 4 GB SDHC Class 6 Flash Memory Card, that gives me some extra space.

I can say that's the best thing ASUS could release. I am delighted with this little notebook. I wanted a durable, portable computer that I could easily transport and that's what I got.
I encourage everyone to get one of this.
b4r4t
I liked ASUS EEE PC a lot, but then ... i saw MSI WIND Smile
It's this same conception, but in my opinion ... better laptop for less cash Smile
Especially the 6-cell battery Smile
georgeodowd
I ended up getting the Eee 900h in Galaxy Black for Christmas. I really like it - although it was given to me with Windows installed... definitely going to be replacing that with Ubuntu Smile
The only thing that throws me is the space bar is a little finicky. As I type, I find that about 50% of the time it doesn't fire. I guess I'm going to have to change my typing habits... or else get creative with picking apart the keyboard.
funky_programmer
A little suggestion from me: buy a netbook that is equipped with Intel Atom (most likely N270 1.6 GHz).
Because the new Intel Atom will consume less power (approx. 6W TDP. CMIIW) and it's Hyper Threading enabled! So you have performance with longer battery life. Other processor will consume
more power than this one.

I recently bought a netbook with Intel Atom inside. And it's performance is very good if it is used only for office and internet, and..maybe a little gaming.
Consider buying Asus Eee PC 1000H or Acer Aspire One or MSI Wind. These three have nearly the same specifications.
Mine is Asus N10Jc, the younger brother of Asus Eee PC 1000H (because it has a little differences, especially at it's dedicated graphic processor - nVidia GeForce 9300M GS).
dickyzin
I've just bought an ASUS Eee PC 1000H, white colour. It's a very nice little machine. 10 inch screen with 160GB hard drive. It uses Atom Processor N270 1.60GHz with 1GB of RAM. Battery life is excellent and it's weighs around 1.4kg. Great for portability and the keyboard size is big enough. It comes with Windows XP Home Edition and plenty of software.

I don't like the built-in 1.3 Mega pixels web camera. The video quality is dull and not much colour. Maybe I need to play around with some settings. I don't really use it that much anyways. It doesn't come with a DVD/CD ROM Drive so you'll have to use an external USB DVD burner.
Ghengis
I don't understand why webcams still tend to be such low resolution -- I mean, they throw a 3.2 MP sensor in every box of Frosted Flakes these days, right? Cell phones (!) are getting 4-5 MP sensors... why are webcams so slow to catch up?
b4r4t
Ghengis wrote:
I don't understand why webcams still tend to be such low resolution -- I mean, they throw a 3.2 MP sensor in every box of Frosted Flakes these days, right? Cell phones (!) are getting 4-5 MP sensors... why are webcams so slow to catch up?

Because not everyone have 10Mbit symetric connection to the internet Smile
Image Quality is one, but how fast You can upload this image to someone is TWO Smile
Ghengis
OK, right, I get that, but you can always downscale the image dynamically to handle your connection speed. A high-res webcam would at least let you take better stills, or record better video to upload later.
psycosquirrel
The 1000 is too big. You might as well get a 12" laptop with a CD drive in it.

I'm still using my 900HA. It is still excellent. Smile
funky_programmer
I'm using Asus N10Jc now, the premium version of Eee PC 1000H. At first, I like 1000H because of its specifications are more sophisticated than its other rivals (like Acer Aspire One, MSI Wind, etc.)

I like 10.2" screen because 8.9" will make your eyes sick (although my eyes are already sick enough with 10.2" too, but it's better). Then I saw Eee PC 1000H, and it's just the right soulmate for me, because of its Wi-Fi b/g/n, integrated bluetooth, multi-touch touchpad, etc.

Next to it, I saw N10Jc. All the specifications are the same as 1000H except it includes dedicated graphics (GeForce 9300M GS) and an express card slot. I need those things, so I decided to buy the N10Jc.

Overall, I recommend buying Eee PC 1000H if you like 10.2" screens. It's about +- $500, I think.
Ghengis
I was just thinking about this, and I feel like the eee is filling a niche between two "better" (IMHO) markets -- lightweight laptops, and ultraportable tablets. I would love to have a ~5-6" touchscreen device (with some kind of keyboard) for web browsing, etc. I would also love to have a ~12" touchpad/mouse-nub device that weighs a little bit more but has more horsepower. But in between -- 7-8", too big for a coat pocket but too small to read a lot of text at once -- isn't much good to me.
dickyzin
I've got an Eee PC 1000H and it's running great. It would be so much better if the screen was a touchscreen. I don't like the mouse buttons as they are located very close to the edge. All in all, I really like this laptop.
Craeft
I am going to basically give my take on Asus as a company.

I used to live by them. Recently, I had two Asus products fail, a CPU Cooler (Asus Arctic Square) and a motherboard (Crosshair).

They refused to honor the warranty for the Arctic Square.

They honored the warranty for the motherboard, but sent me a defective motherboard (the capacitor was blown). They said they would cross-ship the third motherboard, but when I sent mine back, they never sent the motherboard. I have tried to contact them and the phone number is no longer in service. I tried contacting them via the chat support and the representaive "left the chat session."

That is the very brief summary of events. I was forced to report them to the Better Business Bureau. That was almost a week ago and I am still waiting for them to reply to the BBB to resolve the issue. My recommendation... don't get Asus. And know that that hurts for me to say because, as I said, I have always lived by them.
psycosquirrel
Odd, I've never had a bad experience with them.

I would try calling them again, and calmly explaining what happened. They are generally helpful.

I'm modding a touchscreen into my Eee, so I can use it as a tablet PC. I had already ordered the screen, but it arrived broken. I'm getting a new one shipped; it should be here in about a week! Very Happy
carlospro7
KatanaSky wrote:
thank you both for your thorough response! Watson (that's what I've decided to call mine! Very Happy ) is coming in tomorrow afternoon - i am sooooooooooo excited!!! I've done research on this for MONTHS.

So you've had your EeePC for a while now. I was wondering how you are liking it still?

I purchased the EeePC 901 with linux, pearl white, and I'm very excited to have it. I should have it within two days. I don't plan on using as my primary computer either as I have a desktop with a lot of power.
Craeft
psycosquirrel wrote:
Odd, I've never had a bad experience with them.

I would try calling them again, and calmly explaining what happened. They are generally helpful.

I'm modding a touchscreen into my Eee, so I can use it as a tablet PC. I had already ordered the screen, but it arrived broken. I'm getting a new one shipped; it should be here in about a week! Very Happy

Well, I finally got the third motherboard. I took it to a certified tech for installation and diagnostic. Result: Bad motherboard. Again. And Asus will not speak to me.
carlospro7
Well I finally got my EeePC. I ordered it from Amazon and they were quick to ship and deliver using the free shipping option. I got one for me and my wife and both arrived in excellent condition, we got them new, but I mean I'm glad we didn't have any problems that would have caused us to return them. The keyboard will definitely take some getting used to, but it's not so bad, it goes along with getting a tiny computer, so it's not a complaint. I've been playing with it for the past four days, and getting it setup for when I go back to school next week, and it's performing great. It handles things surprisingly well. We got the linux version, and eventually installed Easy Peasy on both of them. Can wait to have this with me during class.
tony
The new ASUS Eee PC line is quite nice. I considered for some time selling my laptop and buying one of those netbooks but in the end decided I could not because I do some resource-intensive tasks on my laptop which a netbook would not be suitable for. But if you are a web-browsing/wordprocessing user, the Eee PC is probably right for you.
dickyzin
I saw an Asus T91 which is a touch screen netbook. Looks awesome but not available in Australia yet. It's over six hundred US dollars. I think it includes GPS and 3G wireless connection (need some to confirm this).