FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Looking for Earphones and Headsets

Phil
Ok, I need some earphones and a headset. The earphones for my MP3 player (kids lost mine) and a headset to listen to music while at my computer.
I guess my first question is................."Does it really make a difference what I get?"
I was using the earbuds that came with my Sansa. They were OK, but nothing special. I can't help but wonder if some other buds will really sound better.
And as far as the headset, well I just want a good one. I've read about a brand called SENNHEISER. Has anyone else heard of these?
I don't want to spend a ton of cash, probably $50 (US dollars) when it's all said and done.
Does anyone have some recommendations?
Craeft
Phil wrote:
Ok, I need some earphones and a headset. The earphones for my MP3 player (kids lost mine) and a headset to listen to music while at my computer.
I guess my first question is................."Does it really make a difference what I get?"
I was using the earbuds that came with my Sansa. They were OK, but nothing special. I can't help but wonder if some other buds will really sound better.
And as far as the headset, well I just want a good one. I've read about a brand called SENNHEISER. Has anyone else heard of these?
I don't want to spend a ton of cash, probably $50 (US dollars) when it's all said and done.
Does anyone have some recommendations?

I am a big fan of Logitech in this field of hardware, but I have to say strongly, stay away from their "Gamer's headphones". The sound quality is good, but they make the type where the strap hangs behind your nexk and it's EXTREMELY uncomfortable. BUt they have a pretty decent pair of studio style headphones. If I could remember the model, I'd link it to ya. Your other option is to look for a good pair of recording studio headphones which can get pricey. This is where my love for eBay shines through.

Other than that, if it's just for casual listening, then really any set with the appropriate jack/connector will be fine. Remember the Walkman™? If you have one of those in your attic somewhere, the headphones from that would be fine. Smile

EDIT:
When I get on my "home" computer, I'll look up that brand that you mentioned and see what I can find in terms of spec/tech sheets. Smile
Phil
Thanks Craeft,
I've just heard about that brand, Sennhieser. I did a search and it's seems it's somewhat popular. At least enough that Ebay has several warnings against counterfeits.
I really don't need anything too fancy. Just something to listen to music while I work on my website (the wife can't stand noise within a 2-mile radius, especially if it's a song she doen't want to hear.)
I'm kinda leaning towards the Sennhieser HD-457 headset. At Newegg it's a little over $30 after shipping and the few reviews I've read were very positive.
As far as earphones, I'll only use these on occasion. Comfort is what I'm really looking for. Earbuds really start to bug me after a while so I was hoping for the ear canal type. Don't know if this would be more comfortable. I remember trying the ear canal type once -- I think I borrowed the ones from a chincy player my little girl had. They really sounded flat.
Well, if you find anything, I'd love to hear.
Craeft
Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. I looked at a few different models of the SENNHEISER brand and.. wow. Nice headphones! Looking at the specs on most of them, these things blow a lot of the studio models out of the water. But OUCH pricey! If you have an idea of a specific model in mind, and you'd like me to look at the spec sheets for it, let me know. I'd be happy to do that for you. But man. I wish I could afford some of those 449 dollar noise cancelling ones! I accept tips! hehehe
Phil
Well, I'm not looking at those high end ones. If I could afford those, I wouldn't need free web hosting!
I broke down and got the HD-457 headphones. Only $25 at NewEgg.
I was informed on another forum to beware of fakes of Sennhieser on Ebay, especially the ear-canal earphones. I figured if people went to that much trouble to copy them, they must be good!
I still want some earphones, but I'd like to try the ear canal types. But those are $50 (the CX-300) A little more than what I wanted to spend.
I'll just wait for the headphones to come in and see how I like them.
Craeft
Those look pretty good, overall. I can't tell if they are behind the neck or over the head, though. When you get them in, let me know the comfort level. I might check em out. Like I said before, I have the Logitech gaming headphones and they're just uncomfortable as hell with the behind the neck design. After the Customer Support I got from Logitech in 2006, though, I decided to go with Logitech across the board on stuff (mouse, keyboard, speakers, mic, headset).

Looking at the specs, those are some pretty decent headphones for the price, that's for sure.
Phil
Craeft wrote:
Those look pretty good, overall. I can't tell if they are behind the neck or over the head, though. When you get them in, let me know the comfort level. I might check em out. Like I said before, I have the Logitech gaming headphones and they're just uncomfortable as hell with the behind the neck design. After the Customer Support I got from Logitech in 2006, though, I decided to go with Logitech across the board on stuff (mouse, keyboard, speakers, mic, headset).

Looking at the specs, those are some pretty decent headphones for the price, that's for sure.

Well they came in yesterday. They are over-the-head, but pretty comfortable to me.
Now I hardly consider my self an audio expert, but I do like these. Sound very good. Very clear.
One thing I did read though is that the claim of "expanded Bass" is almost an under-statement. That is true. Not quite to the point of over whelming the bass is very much there. Dropping the bass in the volume control in windows certainly helped. And one other thing that occurred to me is they seemed to sound even better when plugged into my MP3 player.
As of now. for $25, I certainly would recommend these.
I was also by Office Depot a couple of days ago, and found some Phillips earphones for $20. I figured "what the hey" and got them.
These are less impressive. Ok, but I will definitely be on the lookout for better.
They're just............loud. Actually to the point that they hurt my ears. I actually found myself turning the volume down, something VERY uncharacteristic of me. Hey, if it's too loud then you're too old right?
I like Christian rock. and I like it loud. I guess that's a holdover from my old dope-head days.
But with the Phillips, the sound isn't necessarily distinctive or overly clear. Just loud.
Thanks Craeft for taking the time to look up those specs for me and giving your input. I do appreciate it.
Craeft
I'll have to check em out then. Smile
And no problem.

There's one thing with music being loud, but if it's just "loud" and not "clear", then what's the point? It's kind of like hot spicy food. I love spicy food, but if it's just hot and tastes like crap, what's the point?