FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Kaspersky Internet Security useful or not?

tamilparks
Whether Kaspersky Internet security helpful to virus cleaner or not

also i am using the Kaspersky while browing its blocking the scripts and the webpage is not viewing fully (css webpages are inluded) ... so how can i use this...
escritor
As a virus cleaner, it's awesome. It has earned as many contests as you can imagine.
tamilparks
ok thanks now i am having the version 7.
escritor
I think you can use it free of charge for one year.
Diablosblizz
I find Kaspersky a little weird. I don't understand why it has to take up 21% of my CPU all the time. I don't like how it scans each file over and over (or that's what I think it's doing). Personally, I like NOD32 and it works just as good.
escritor
It's true... It uses a lot of processing, Diablosblizz. I recall that the same articles where I read about its great scanner quality talked about the abnormal processing needed to use it too.
tamilparks
ya free for one year but its very nice and fast loading and updating
escritor
^Have you fixed that problem you talked about in the first post of this thread?
welshsteve
I have used Kaspersky Internet Security since version 6, I now have version 7. It's an excellent suite, and is very very good at it's job. I'd highly recommend it.
tamilparks
hellow friend escritor, i have solved the problem, there is a parental control and child control default the virus scanner will be in child control, if we change it to parental control, then no problem .. the sites are visible.....thanks for your remember..
tamilparks
dear welshsteve, ya the kaspersky is very good scanner thanks for your recommed. i am now using only the kaspersky... i am also recommed it to use.
welshsteve
tamilparks wrote:
dear welshsteve, ya the kaspersky is very good scanner thanks for your recommed. i am now using only the kaspersky... i am also recommed it to use.

Glad you like it. About a year or so ago my machine went seriously bad, so I installed Kaspersky, and it pretty much sorted out my problems for me.
Indyan
The best thing about Kaspersky is its configurability. If you are someone who likes to tinker with the advanced options and to finetune your security software you are absolutely gonna be loving it. Kaspersky is also one of the top rates AV in terms of detection rate (its generally considered to be only behind avira). However, its firewall is slightly weak and does need some work.
Overall ,its one of the best security suites out there.
escritor
tamilparks wrote:
hellow friend escritor, i have solved the problem, there is a parental control and child control default the virus scanner will be in child control, if we change it to parental control, then no problem .. the sites are visible.....thanks for your remember..

Aha. Smile Once I installed a firewall and it blocked IRC. It took me a while to notice that it was it that was blocking the chat.
tamilparks
Quote:
Aha. Once I installed a firewall and it blocked IRC. It took me a while to notice that it was it that was blocking the chat.

there is a trusted zone you can add the website address in that so that it will leave it
escritor
^That firewall had a specific option to block IRC. Wink I just had to uncheck it.
orcaz
escritor wrote:
It's true... It uses a lot of processing, Diablosblizz. I recall that the same articles where I read about its great scanner quality talked about the abnormal processing needed to use it too.

yes, kaspersky can sometime cause CPU usage to go up to 99%, causing the whole computer to lag and hang. so now i've decided to subscribe to nod32 instead, as this problem doesnt seem to exist in nod32.
Diablosblizz
While NOD32 is a great anti-virus program. The Firewall and such aren't so great. I have switched to Kaspersky as a demo and found out that I had been attacked (and still currently going) by a MSSQL.worm. I was not aware of this with NOD32 and am not sure if it was even blocked. So though NOD32 is a great scanner the Firewall is not up to date.
escritor
What Firewall do you use then, Diablosblizz? I'm using ZoneAlarm...
rafifaisal
Why don't you guys first read existing posts about related subjects before starting a thread ?
A little bit of investigation is a nice vertue.
You can't expect people to give you an answer on questions already treated a zillion times on this forum.
I would suggest you to read following existing thread first

http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-42288.html&highlight=kaspersky

If you then still have questions (not treated in this post) feel free to post.

Greetzz
escritor
rafifaisal, a zillion new virus and many new antivirus techonologies have been created since 2005...
rafifaisal
escritor wrote:
rafifaisal, a zillion new virus and many new antivirus techonologies have been created since 2005...

Well my dare friend you got a point there BUT this topic is very up to date as the last posts are made well into 2008 Cool
So sorry mate. I stick to my previous made point. Please investigate previous posts before staring a new topic.

Greetzzz
petesam
wouldnt trust anything other than Kaspersky.

Even installed it on all the PCs in my university campus...when profs asked me if there was something that could be done about the infected PCs.......you whats it like when every other student comes and puts in his/her pen drive (infected with all sorts of viruses), you feel like the PC is being 'raped'
escritor
^Are so many pen drives inffected? I didn't know such viruses were common. Confused
petesam
Quote:
^Are so many pen drives inffected? I didn't know such viruses were common. Confused

Dude...you should check out my college's PCs - virus breeding grounds. So you can imagine the fate of pen - drives that go into them. The part is most people even don't realize they got a virus on their drive and go around plugging them in still more PCs.
escritor
petesam: now I'm afraid. Shocked Maybe my own drive is inffected too.
djclue917
petesam wrote:
Quote:

Dude...you should check out my college's PCs - virus breeding grounds. So you can imagine the fate of pen - drives that go into them. The part is most people even don't realize they got a virus on their drive and go around plugging them in still more PCs.

That's the reason why I never plug-in my USB flash drive whenever I'm using Windows. I only use it when I'm using Linux, which is like 99% of the time, so I never really worry about those viruses/worms/whatsoever. Of course, I also scan my flash drive in Linux when I get the time to do so.

Now back to Kaspersky...

I've used a trial version of Kaspersky Internet Security for some time until the updates expired. I don't really remember which version I'm using at the time but I know that I liked the software overall. It seems a little bit slow though. I really liked the configurability and the tons of features included. Sadly, I never really liked paying for software that should have been bundled with my operating system or should have been free, at the least.
infinisa
Hello tamilparks

Yes, there is an [Official] Security: Anti-Spyware/Virus, & Firewall forum...

But since we're here, let me answer Diablosblizz's question about Kasperky Internet Suite using up computer resources.

Quote:
I find Kaspersky a little weird. I don't understand why it has to take up 21% of my CPU all the time. I don't like how it scans each file over and over (or that's what I think it's doing). Personally, I like NOD32 and it works just as good.

The idea is that when your PC is idle, i.e. you haven't actually asked it to do anything, Kasperksy Internet Suite will take advantage of the "free time" to do some background scanning. This is cool, because in practise it means you never have the bother of running a full system scan (you know how long that can take!)

Of course, it wouldn't be so cool if KIS hogged PC resources when you need them, but in my experience (and I have a licence for 5 PCs at home) it really does use those resources intelligently, i.e. when you dont need them, so I've never had any trouble with this.

Also let me clarify that Kasperky Internet Suite is free for 30 DAYS not 1 YEAR, as you can see from their trial page, where it says:

Quote:
Kaspersky Lab is pleased to offer all potential antivirus software customers the chance to evaluate our products free of charge before committing to purchasing them. Through our trial program, you can download a free, 30-day trial version of one of our products.
snowynight
I am rather intersted in the third post that I can use kis free of charge for one year.
But, how is it possible?
Can anybody of you tell me (or pm) about it?
infinisa
Hi snowynight

At the risk of repeating myself, I thought made the situation clear in my last post:

Quote:
Also let me clarify that Kasperky Internet Suite is free for 30 DAYS not 1 YEAR, as you can see from their trial page, where it says:

Kaspersky Lab is pleased to offer all potential antivirus software customers the chance to evaluate our products free of charge before committing to purchasing them. Through our trial program, you can download a free, 30-day trial version of one of our products.

Just check the site!

I'm afraid that anyone who says it's free for a year is misinformed.
tamilparks
ya its a very good virus scanner and very familar to all but all on a sudden i think they have stopped the free version and many of them are black listed only the demo version is there..
nkhot
Kaspersky is so slowly, i'm using nod32 now.
swizzy
tamilparks wrote:

also i am using the Kaspersky while browing its blocking the scripts and the webpage is not viewing fully (css webpages are inluded) ... so how can i use this...

While installing kaspersky internet security, i simply uncheck everythin except the file scanner, proactive defense, firewall. For adblocking i use firefox+adblock plus.

For antivirus and firewall, kaspersky is really the best, cant beat it... but for adblocking rely on others...
bigt
I didn't have any problems with Kaspersky until I wanted to uninstall it. I'll admit that I didn't troubleshoot for long, but I ended up reformatting my machine because I couldn't get Kaspersky to uninstall completely.
infinisa
Hello bigt
Quote:
I didn't have any problems with Kaspersky until I wanted to uninstall it. I'll admit that I didn't troubleshoot for long, but I ended up reformatting my machine because I couldn't get Kaspersky to uninstall completely.

That sounds a bit like overkill to me.

I suggest that maybe next time you post to this forum before reformatting! Wink
bigt
infinisa wrote:
Hello bigt
Quote:

That sounds a bit like overkill to me.

I suggest that maybe next time you post to this forum before reformatting! Wink

Hello Infinisa

I think I wasn't clear about my story and you assumed my abnormal action was due to ignorance Smile Actually, I was playing around on a box I had just re-imaged and didn't want to spend the time on the problem when I wasn't even going to use Kapersky. You are very right though; reformatting isn't for the faint of heart or those without a good backup!!! Very Happy
triniDj27
In case you're all interested Kaspersky v8 is now available. It, in my opinion, is way better than it's predecessors .
tamilparks
can i know whether the kaspersky internet security v 8 is a free version or demo version
bigt
tamilparks wrote:
can i know whether the kaspersky internet security v 8 is a free version or demo version

I did not see version 8 on Kaspersky's website. I did find it on another site available for download. It was listed as a Commercial Trial version and a Beta version. Makes me somewhat suspicious as far as it not being on the main site. This could be a legitimate, limited release, but I'm not a big beta tester and I won't be trying that version.
tamilparks
thanks to bigt for your valuable information given to me, i have used the kaspersky for one month its a very good virus scanner, after that i cannot use it, so i am searching for a very good free version of virus scanner.
Rajiev
Hmm.... Lot of Pros for Kaspersky. Very Happy

Ya it's indeed a better AV. BUt let me show you some down side.

First,
If you are not using a Dual core CPU or at least a >3.0Ghz Procecor,

Don't even think about it. It's better having Virus than using Kaspersky on a slow machine. It'l Suck all the resources and slow your machine down to the ground.

Then, It's not soo good afterall. Since now it's a more popular A.V., Hackers are testing against it. SO all the "Kool" viruses will get pass through it. NOt like the old days.

And if you are using a lot of removable drive, your are bound to get infected, regardless of your AV soft.

So my suggestion is use a linux OS to handle removable media. The win visruses don't run on them. Just handpick or use a linux virus gaurd (any one) it is d most effective way