FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How to log on XP without administrator password ?

paskall
I forgot my XP Administrator's password, and at the moment I don't have any other users to log on XP. What you guys recommend ? Any software or idea ? I don't want to formate pc.

Thanks in advance.
escritor
You can use a software that resets your password. I remember that my hardware teacher had a floppy disk with such a program... he called it "devil's disk".
Arno v. Lumig
hiren's boot cd
paskall
thanks guys.
escritor
Hide it in a safe place and don't tell anybody about it. Razz
shkhanal
There might be many but one I have seen is Winternal. This CD boots computer in GUI as if Windows and from there you can run tools to maintain and manage windows system problems. You can create new users and reset administrator's password
ThePolemistis
paskall wrote:
I forgot my XP Administrator's password, and at the moment I don't have any other users to log on XP. What you guys recommend ? Any software or idea ? I don't want to formate pc.

Thanks in advance.

As mentioned above you can use a startpup disk, but this would have need to be created before you forgot your password, so this option is void i guess.

Another way is to run from a ubuntu live cd, which ypu can use to access ur windows harddrive and view its contents. This won't recover password, but can provide backup.

If you want to remove the password all together, you can but u need to use your recovery console from the windows xp cd. Note: I have not personally tried the stuff below, but I know someone who did and it worked.
Simply follow these insturctions:
http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=305 wrote:

1. Place your Windows XP CD in your cd-rom and start your computer (it’s assumed here that your XP CD is bootable – as it should be - and that you have your bios set to boot from CD)

2. Keep your eye on the screen messages for booting to your cd Typically, it will be “Press any key to boot from cd”

3. Once you get in, the first screen will indicate that Setup is inspecting your system and loading files.

4. When you get to the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER to Setup Windows now

5. The Licensing Agreement comes next - Press F8 to accept it.

6. The next screen is the Setup screen which gives you the option to do a Repair.

It should read something like “If one of the following Windows XP installations is damaged, Setup can try to repair it”

Use the up and down arrow keys to select your XP installation (if you only have one, it should already be selected) and press R to begin the Repair process.

7. Let the Repair run. Setup will now check your disks and then start copying files which can take several minutes.

8. Shortly after the Copying Files stage, you will be required to reboot. (this will happen automatically – you will see a progress bar stating “Your computer will reboot in 15 seconds”

9. During the reboot, do not make the mistake of “pressing any key” to boot from the CD again! Setup will resume automatically with the standard billboard screens and you will notice Installing Windows is highlighted.

10. Keep your eye on the lower left hand side of the screen and when you see the Installing Devices progress bar, press SHIFT + F10. This is the security hole! A command console will now open up giving you the potential for wide access to your system.

11. At the prompt, type NUSRMGR.CPL and press Enter. Voila! You have just gained graphical access to your User Accounts in the Control Panel.

12. Now simply pick the account you need to change and remove or change your password as you prefer. If you want to log on without having to enter your new password, you can type control userpasswords2 at the prompt and choose to log on without being asked for password. After you’ve made your changes close the windows, exit the command box and continue on with the Repair (have your Product key handy).

13. Once the Repair is done, you will be able to log on with your new password (or without a password if you chose not to use one or if you chose not to be asked for a password). Your programs and personalized settings should remain intact.

aningbo
or get yourself ophcrack. its over 300 MB but will decode your password in a couple of minutes. google it to download the stuff and good luck dude.

hiren's boot cd works too if u just wanna reset the password. there are other programs out there which will reset it for you in a second or two. and they are just about 2 MB or less. good luck