FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Uploading and unpacking Compressed Files

Possum
Hi

What type of compressed files can I upload to the FriHost server and extract them on that server..

is it just the *.tar.gz

Cheers Possum..
rvec
yes
and zip if you are making your own page.
mafiawars
yea i think it ios to be honest i dont think zip files shud be allowed cause you always get that one person zippin a file with a virus in it and if they extract it into the site god know what stuff they could get from the site
Possum
Hi

I want to upload osCommerce which comes as a oscommerce-2.2rc2a.zip file. Does that mean I will need to unpack this on my home computer and upload all the files (1 @ a time) to the Firhost server.?

Cheers Possum.
Animal
Possum wrote:
I want to upload osCommerce which comes as a oscommerce-2.2rc2a.zip file. Does that mean I will need to unpack this on my home computer and upload all the files (1 @ a time) to the Firhost server.?

Yes, you could do it this way if you wanted. Alternatively, you could unpack it on your home PC, then re-pack it as a .tar.gz file (you can use the free Tugzip to do this if you don't already have the software) and then upload that. This saves a significant amount of time when compared to uploading all the individual files, especially if you have a slow internet connection.

Hope this helps.
Possum
Hi

I did what you said and uploaded and extracted the file..

One thing I did need to do was manually write in the "tar" part once I creatred the .tz archive. But the important thing It worked when I extracted it on the FriHost server..

Cheers Possum.....