FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Dell D600 won't start without sweet lovin

Craeft
Ok.. here's the issue. We have a Dell D600 that we are going to send with my mother while she's in Spokane for a week. This is a weird one, so bear with me:

If the Dell shuts down, you can not restart it... unless... you hold the Reset button and hit the Power button at the precise moment. You have to be exact on this or it won't start. This is repeatable everytime you have to restart the laptop. It is not acting like a short in any way.

Once it starts, it's fine and happy.

EDIT:
I should add that it works fine on restart. It's ONLY when it's power off that this issue occurs.
RiCtee
It could be someone wrong with the buttons and the connections hidden underneath. Try opening the laptop (usually just unscrewing a few screws from the bottom) and take a look.
Pepijn
Hi,
I have a D600 myself. I don't know if you've found out but the part holding the buttons and the LEDS int screwed on. You can just get it out of the laptop with a screwdriver in the 'hole' on the right side. Underneeth it you'll see how the screen is mounted to the laptop and all that stuff... But you'll also see the 'panel' that holds the actual buttons. Try unscrewing it and then whipe off all the dust. Ten put it back and retry starting the laptop. Be careful with the screws. don't turn them to tight because then the panel does nothing (very strange i know:S)

Good luck!

Pepijn
Jaan
Yeah, hardware definately, doubt it's BIOS.

Open it up, find the wires, and see if there's anything wrong with them. If they're worn down, replace them, or bring to a corner computer repair shop, they'll fix it alot cheaper than Best Buy.
Craeft
Bah. I refuse to use Best Buy/Geek Squad. hehe...

But definitely thanks for the help guys. Right now, my mother has the laptop with her in Spokane. As soon as she gets back, I'll pull out the screwdriver and see what I can find inside there. I think my father took it apart once, but I'm not sure. I'll have to verify that, and do it anyway.

Again... thanks for the info and when it gets back here, I'll post an update on the repairs. Smile