FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Cool OS to try on older hardware

Studio Madcrow
I'm a big fan of smaller "super alternative" OSes and I've just found a great one. It's called AROS and is basically AmigaOS for PC, but much prettier looking. Has anyone here ever tried it besides me? If so, I'd be happy to hear what YOU think.
escritor
Do you know ReactOS? It's an alternative to Windows.
fadirocks
escritor wrote:
Do you know ReactOS? It's an alternative to Windows.

interesting stuff

this is interesting too http://windows.kde.org/ Razz
escritor
fadirocks wrote:

I didn't know there was such a project. Very Happy My friend who is keen on Linux will appreaciate it. Thank you. Wink
Studio Madcrow
escritor wrote:
fadirocks wrote:

I didn't know there was such a project. Very Happy My friend who is keen on Linux will appreaciate it. Thank you. Wink

Cool, now all my Windows-using friends can use Digikam and Amarok and all the other awesome programs for KDE.

Still, none of that stuff is as light or as cool as the link I posted.
escritor
Studio Madcrow: Excuse me, but what link did you post? Are you talking about another thread?
LostOverThere
No, I believe he was talking about KDE for Windows.

http://windows.kde.org/
escritor
LostOverThere, it was fadirocks who posted KDE for Windows.
Arnie
But this topic is about AROS, and not about Linux. The fanboys of the latter have more than enough places to go...

Yes, I tried AROS as I also enjoy trying unknown operating systems. It had nice graphics but not many apps, as I recall (it was back in 2003). You may like to try QNX Neutrino 6.2.1 (Non-commercial edition) if you can find it anywhere, it has a nice repository.
escritor
Arnie wrote:
But this topic is about AROS, and not about Linux.

Yes, he talked a lot about it, but the fact is that he didn't leave any hyperlink.
LostOverThere
Sorry about that escritor, I read your post incorrectly.
Arnie
escritor wrote:
Arnie wrote:
But this topic is about AROS, and not about Linux.

Yes, he talked a lot about it, but the fact is that he didn't leave any hyperlink.
You weren't feeling lucky?
escritor
Arnie wrote:

Read his own words:

Studio Madcrow wrote:
biosvi
You can test also http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/ it's a nice distribution for old hardwares ! Wink
Arnie
escritor wrote:
Arnie wrote:

Read his own words:

Studio Madcrow wrote:
Nice excuse to deviate a topic. Maybe you should try something other than Linux, might even like it. And actually contribute to the topic...

Although I wish AROS had a floppy distribution, they only have a live CD. Still, if you have a CD-RW you can test it at very little cost (just some time)
escritor
^I don't use Linux and I'm sorry if I was the only person who didn't get the link. Smile

Good luck with the new system.
Studio Madcrow
Hmm. I guess I SHOULD have posted a link... Here it goes now: http://www.aros.org

Anyway, vis a vis a floppy version, I think that it's probably a bit big for that, even as light as it is. Pluss most computers haven't had floppy drives for almost five years...
csoftdev
an interesting discussion. i might give it a try some day. see how it is. i have heard of the name but i have never tried it. perhaps it is a good playing tool Very Happy
xbcd
check out DSL linux. i love that distro. i setup a pc in my game room for my mom to use and she absolutely loves it. THe os is very responcive and it is not a really fast pc so loading firefox in less than 1 second is amazing.
Spec:
PIII - 866 MHz
Ram - 128 mb PC100
Hard Drive: 1gb compact flash
Drive - CD-RW
Network - D-Link Wireless card

and believe it or not, i got the pc for 5 dollars at a garage sale and all i did is buy the compact flash to ide adapter ($5 shipped) the compact flash card ($7.99) and i had the wireless card already. so not bad for a $18 dollar pc that gets used about 2-3 hours a day (mom loves ebay)
{name here}
Studio Madcrow wrote:
I'm a big fan of smaller "super alternative" OSes and I've just found a great one. It's called AROS and is basically AmigaOS for PC, but much prettier looking. Has anyone here ever tried it besides me? If so, I'd be happy to hear what YOU think.

The last time I heard of AROS it was just a desktop system running atop of Linux. As a result I never really tried it.

But, I've tried OS/2 Warp 4, eComStation (its successor), and BeOS. I want to try HaikuOS, as well, but I haven't gotten around to it. All of them are fairly nice operating systems and work great for office settings, and even personal use.
Studio Madcrow
{name here} wrote:
Studio Madcrow wrote:

The last time I heard of AROS it was just a desktop system running atop of Linux. As a result I never really tried it.

But, I've tried OS/2 Warp 4, eComStation (its successor), and BeOS. I want to try HaikuOS, as well, but I haven't gotten around to it. All of them are fairly nice operating systems and work great for office settings, and even personal use.

AROS has been capable of running "on the Metal" for quite some time now, though it can still be run as a usespace app in Linux for the purposes of making app development easier (while AROS has native devtools available, a lot of people still like to write apps in Linux and crosscompile and having a version available that runs on top of Linux makes it easier to test stuff because you don't have to reboot the computer or transfer files into a VM)