FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

An idea to stop people NOT reading TOS.

Harrowed
Bondings and any other admin.. What about this..

Simple to implement..

On the TOS/Forum rules etc... Have a hidden action apon reading..

Using (near) infinate bits [0-9,a-z,A-Z] set a flag ..

When they attempt to post a new topic. check if that Forums flag has been set , ie they've read that Forums rules/guideliens, and allow action else redirect them to the Rules/Guidelines..

Hmm could turn this into a PHPBB Mod..

Sorry my Mind's going crazy working on all the possible other functions etc...

Could be rather usefull...
Harrowed
From the good ol' MUD days and my memory (albeit lacking)..

Ok... Say you have 6 Forums.. Each with their OWN rules.. 1 Generic Forum with rules/guidelines for the whole forum..

Using a single Database Entry per user...

sadly I don't remember the coding on conversion back and forth but.. bare with me Smile

Using only the characters of 0-9,a-z,A-Z would give us 62 possibilities..

0123456789abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
0 being NULL or NONE.

Adding only 2 non-alphanumeric character helps here.. let's go with - & _

So now we have 64! (Including a NULL value of 0)

Rule #1 Met = 1
Rule #2 Met = 2
Rule #3 Met = 4
Rule #4 Met = 8
Rule #5 Met = 16
Rule #6 Met = 32

As an example.. let's say a user has met rule #4 & #2
Their entry in database would be "a" or 10 in numeric for that forum.

And if all the rules are met.. then it 63 numeric or "_"

We could use this to make sure everyone's read their TOS and each Forum's Guidelines etc..

I can post it in .MOD format later if you wanted?

So an entry in the database of 63409As
Forum 1 = Rule 2 & 3 met (6).
Forum 2 = Rule 1 & 2 met (3).
Forum 3 = Rule 3 met (4).
Forum 4 = No Rules met (0).
Forum 5 = Rule 1 & 4 met (9).
Forum 6 = Rule 3 & 6 met (36).
Forum 7 = Rule 3, 4 & 5 met (2Cool.
n0obie4life
I thought this would be easier.

SQL

insert to blah blah user_readtos

then do the stuff.
tidruG
If we can implement it, it'd be fantastic. But it'll be rather hard to do since there are quite a few announcements and stickies, and sometimes more more announcements are added.... however, I think I vote for this hack, if you can configure it well! Best of Luck!
Harrowed
n0obie4life wrote:
I thought this would be easier.

SQL

insert to blah blah user_readtos

then do the stuff.

Where'd you put it?
user_readtos a BOOLEAN True/False?
Waste of a TABLE.

Say 6 chars long.. That's 36 char's announcement/stickys.
At most 10 characters long.. That's 60 announcements/stickys read.
n0obie4life
Oh..I get it now Razz
Bondings
I'm planning to make a short and easy quiz that you have to pass before being able to apply. This way people will be forced to read/scan the tos and know the most important things about it.
tidruG
Bondings wrote:
I'm planning to make a short and easy quiz that you have to pass before being able to apply. This way people will be forced to read/scan the tos and know the most important things about it.

Ha ha! Yeah, that ought to do the trick!
However, what about the hack still being used for making people read the announcements in every forum?
Bondings
tidruG wrote:
Ha ha! Yeah, that ought to do the trick!
However, what about the hack still being used for making people read the announcements in every forum?

I don't really like that hack. And most people do know it when they spam. Wink Reading an announcement won't change it.
MistaKiula
LOL! A quiz? That is a pretty good way of killing all those who don't read.
Helios
Quiz? nice idea..

I'm not that good with quizes.. i'll try not to lose my hosting hehe
Harrowed
Mmm... randomly select 8 or so questions from a database of 100+

Could be fun... Smile
babumuchhala
Yes the idea's great.
tidruG wrote:
But it'll be rather hard to do since there are quite a few announcements and stickies, and sometimes more more announcements are added....
One more idea from me is why not make one long Rules post Valid for all forums, where what to do and what not.
n0obie4life
Fail teh quiz and not get an account :O.
tidruG
babumuchhala wrote:
Yes the idea's great.
tidruG wrote:
But it'll be rather hard to do since there are quite a few announcements and stickies, and sometimes more more announcements are added....
One more idea from me is why not make one long Rules post Valid for all forums, where what to do and what not.

Because different forums have different rules.... for instance, The World News Forum has rules about using quote tags and offering your own opinions and linking to your source... but in other forums, it's rarely sugested to copy and paste of any sort... stuff like that.

However, if you wanna suggest to anyone how to make a good post, link them to a new Sticky I made in the Introductions forum.
simplyw00x
n0obie4life wrote:

Fail teh quiz and not get an account, get your username banned from the forums, get IP banned from the main Frihost page, have 18 different viruses and trojans emailed to you, and have your computer confiscated and sold to pay Frihost's bandwidth bills.
tidruG
simplyw00x wrote:
n0obie4life wrote:

Fail teh quiz and not get an account, get your username banned from the forums, get IP banned from the main Frihost page, have 18 different viruses and trojans emailed to you, and have your computer confiscated and sold to pay Frihost's bandwidth bills.

heh heh heh.... that may be an excellent idea... but it's sort of like pronouncing the death sentence for stealing 10 bucks...

Good for a laugh though... lol.
n0obie4life
simplyw00x wrote:
n0obie4life wrote:

Thats evil :O.

2 Options

Fail teh test and not get an account, get ur username banned and IP banned.

-------------OR---------------

Fail teh test and not get an account, and you cannot request for the next 2 weeks and you must post more than 5 posts to get your account then.

BTW, you need to make it so that the person cannot view the ToS..
Bondings
Fail the test and be abducted by my nice avatar. Wink

Or just not being able to request before you pass it once. Maybe easier.
mOrpheuS
simplyw00x wrote:
n0obie4life wrote:

Man...that would be mean.
profitable none the less.
Laughing

But I never knew of forum veterans to be so territorial.
Let's leave that to the african lions.

If we implement all the suggestions in this thread, frihost forum will become a very hostile place for new comers.
We are not trying to scare away new members, are we ?
babumuchhala
Make the quiz such that it starts off by showing the TOS, FAQs before they start the quiz.

If they fail the test, they cannot request for hosting for another 15 days and during that period the he/she must post 10 posts.
n0obie4life
Anyone thought of the cheating part I mentioned?

Open Quiz + Open FAQ + Open ToS --> I'm bound to pass unless i'm a retard.
Bondings
n0obie4life wrote:

That's actually what should happen. If both the TOS and the FAQ are opened and they search for the answers, then they will understand/read the TOS and at least know the most important parts of it.

Are mp3's allowed on Frihost?
a)Yes, they are allowed.
b)No, they aren't allowed.

--> I don't care if they have to search for it in the faq/tos, I just want to make sure that everyone knows that mp3's (in this case) aren't allowed. Unless you are one of the lucky ones who got a permission of course. Wink
n0obie4life
Then they forget whats in the ToS. It should be a closed-book, sorry, i mean website test.
gonzo
:sigh:

http://addneditcookies.mozdev.org/

http://rip.mozdev.org/

http://greasemonkey.mozdev.org.nyud.net:8090/

So many forums insist on huge bloat above the posting area. Its trite to remove. You'd be better off making TOS reading a one time event:

make them complete a short multiple choice quiz after "reading" the TOS. No account activation until quiz is completed with a minimum score. Say 95%?

edit: oh look someone already suggested a quiz. OK make it more like the MCSE: a whole ton of questions but each test is "unique". You people seem to like PHP so have at Smile
Jack_Hammer
I think the main people about people who abuse sites is that they are impatiant they would be very unwilling to sign up even if the site had a couple of days waiting period, or just say it has a couple of weeks waiting period just to put people off?
gonzo
Jack_Hammer wrote:
just to put people off?

Closing signups would be simpler.

Wink
Jack_Hammer
gonzo wrote:
Jack_Hammer wrote:
just to put people off?

Closing signups would be simpler.

I'm sorry you lost me ,closing singups? I'm sorry if I'm being a pain, I can't help being special
Wink
Jack_Hammer
Quote:

You can have simple open window scripts that wll only alow that page to be oen in a new wndw via link, you see them al he timen proffesinal ebsites to stop people cheating or downloading something opening a page so that they can see th code/source/URL/ etc.
tidruG
Bondings wrote:
n0obie4life wrote:

That's actually what should happen. If both the TOS and the FAQ are opened and they search for the answers, then they will understand/read the TOS and at least know the most important parts of it.

Are mp3's allowed on Frihost?
a)Yes, they are allowed.
b)No, they aren't allowed.

--> I don't care if they have to search for it in the faq/tos, I just want to make sure that everyone knows that mp3's (in this case) aren't allowed. Unless you are one of the lucky ones who got a permission of course. Wink

So you see, Bondings is getting them to just read the TOS or FAQ, even if they do it while answering the quiz... Whatever it takes for them to read it, at least once... and if they have to keep referring to the FAQ/TOS, then maybe they'll read it more than once... so it's a good ploy.
n0obie4life
tbf, please be kind. do not spam. you will not get your hosting request that way.
scs
You could have input codes in the ToS which they have to put it but it'll be hidden in paragraphs of text
Shake
Why not just make a quiz for people who are signing up for hosting? Applicants have to read the TOS, and then answer some questions correctly to be able to sign up for an account. Easy.
Marston
Oh my god, why the hell did you bring up a 4 month old thread?! Evil or Very Mad
n0obie4life
Marston wrote:
Oh my god, why the hell did you bring up a 4 month old thread?! Evil or Very Mad

We encourage bumping here, but bumping with a good reason.

That sounded like a good post to contribute to this suggestion.
shadedflame
Bondings Just won't do it for some reason so I guess he won't do this
Jack_Hammer
it would of been a good contribution if that we havent already discussed that.

Humm...
*Spammer?*