FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Windows Worries

Yantaal
So my pc is starting to have the inevitable problems. So i was thinking about wiping it clean and starting again. But my problem is thus:

I have lost the disk with Windows XP on it. so i cant wipe my pc and re-install it. I am sure there is a way to create a backup of windows but i cant find it. Does anyone have any ideas?
marrs
I looked in to this a while back also there are some programs which you can download and they will install a backed up version of your windows,I have forgotten exacally the name of the program but i will get back to you one that one
redchic
what type of pc do you have? if you have an ibm/lenovo or even a dell you can do that ... the other thing is if you bought your pc from dell, lenovo, hp etc and know someone else who did and they are using the same os then you can use their cd and reinstall your system.
otherwise my friend, sad to say you are screwed and need to buy a new windows cd
Yantaal
balls.

oh well, i guess i will have to plod along as i am, thanks anyway
Arnie
If you have your own serial number, you can borrow a CD from a friend. That's not illegal, as long as you use your own serial number. But make sure you borrow the right CD: same language, and version (Home/Pro) is mandatory! A different SP doesn't matter though.
FunDa
Yantaal wrote:
So my pc is starting to have the inevitable problems. So i was thinking about wiping it clean and starting again. But my problem is thus:

I have lost the disk with Windows XP on it. so i cant wipe my pc and re-install it. I am sure there is a way to create a backup of windows but i cant find it. Does anyone have any ideas?

Do you have your Windows XP serial number with you ?
If not, then downlaod the software Windows keyfinder

http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml

Run keyfinder and it will tell you your current Windows serial number.
Then you can borrow a Windows CD from your friends and install with your original serial number.
Make sure you back up your files especially form Desktop and My Documents

All the best Smile
bulek
You can download cracked version of Windows and use your original CD-key. If you have only few operational problems with Windows, you may use repair install instead of complete fresh installation. It will save you much time because you won't have to install all programs over again.
Arnie
No, you shouldn't download a cracked version, because those usually use hacks so that there's no need to enter any key.
aningbo
atually u will get RETAIL versions too. without any modifications but hard to find. good luck with it.
Da Rossa
This issue is rather easy to be solved today. Althout it appears to be hassling and difficult, just backup your sensitive data on a DVD (normally it fits one DVD-5, if you have heavier movies or other things then you should have burnt them before) and format your PC.
Create new partitions using utilities that come with HIREN'S BOOT CD (everyone should have) and install the OS.