FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Tattoo aftercare

ainieas
Anyone know aftercare of tattoos - the dos and the donts? LIke if there are any eating restrictions and stuff like that.
gh0stface
Eating wise, I do not believe that there are any restrictions. Sun wise, there are. With tattoos, especially new tattoos you want to stay out of the sun. I don't really remember why as I don't have any tattoos myself, but I believe that new tattoos under the sun will pretty much make the tattoos fade quite a bit.

I think that you also have to use lotion quite a bit. Essentially, tattoos just require a lot of proper skin care.
Aless
Stay out of the sun - big one. My other half had a friend whose tattoo COOKED after they laid out in the sun afterwards. Also, you're not supposed to go swimming or submerge it in water (like in a bath) for a few weeks as well. Showers are okay as long as you be careful and don't let the water hit it for long periods of time immediately afterwards.

Also, buy some cream for rubbing on it. The stuff that is used on diaper rash is perfect, and will likely be cheaper than anything the tattooist tries to sell you. It's just to keep irritation down, which is why diaper rash cream does the trick perfectly.

Good luck!
PatTheGreat42
Basically, I would say the care is the same as any given abrasion or inury to your skin. That's what a tattoo is, after all, a bunch of teeny tiny puncture wounds. So treat it like you would a sunburn or scrape - keep it covered, out of the sun, and wait for it to heal before you start doing things like poking it or rubbing a ton of lotion on it. That's my advice.
ainieas
Thanks for the replies! Actually I got my tattoo done recently. My tattoo artist was real good and he did guide me about all the things. Like rubbing Vaseline and all but he also asked me not to eat egg so that kinda got me confused since no one ever had informed me that you are supposed to have any eating restrictions!