FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

NATO SUMMIT IN MY COUNTRY

ovidiuo
What do you think about Romania organizing this summit this year?

They say it went well but we will pay for this from our pockets and it's not cheap at all
MaxStirner
I do have my differences with NATO and its role in post-cold-war Europe (as well as its role in international conflicts) but that is neither here nor there in this thread's context.
I am aware of the cost of hosting such a summit, especially for a new EU member still playing catch-up but it is certainly reassuring to watch the integration of these nations into then EU family. What we in the west were fond of calling "Eastern Europe" is actually "Central Europe" and represents the heart of this continent as well as a significant part of the heritage. Every fair, every congress, every holiday trip, every business meeting in these parts of Europe will contribute to the integration of these countries until a time where a vacation to the Black Sea or the eastern Baltic will be no more exotic than a trip to the Spanish gold coast. In time, these Central European regions, hopefully including the republics of ex-Jugoslavia and Serbia, might well become the engines driving European development and rejuvenation when other western members run out of steam. The Baltic states are a good example of what is possible and doable in a relatively short period of time.