FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

I Have a Dream

MaxStirner
Being a contributor to a number of discussion forums, questions such as "Who is your favorite person?" or "Who do you admire the most?" are more or less common. Other, similar questions regarding films, actors or authors often see me indecisive as to what I should answer, but choosing a person who has influenced me more than any other and who has my complete admiration is always simple to answer: Dr. Martin Luther King Jr..

I am just old enough to recall hearing him speak and of course I distinctly remember the day of his assassination, April 4th 1968, forty years ago today.

Of course everyone knows very well who this man was and what he accomplished, but I would be interested to hear what mark Dr. King has left in your life, if any.

Biography
"I have a Dream" (background)
"I have a Dream" (speech 1963)
escritor
Well, he left a mark on my high school diploma. Actually, his name did. Razz My school was named after him. Smile
MaxStirner
escritor wrote:
Well, he left a mark on my high school diploma. Actually, his name did. Razz My school was named after him. Smile

Was that an American high school or did his name make his way to a Brazilian school? Probably not, I don't recall many Latin American schools with persons' names (with the exception of Christian saints and similar), as is usual in the U.S..
escritor
Yes, it was (and is) a Brazilian school. Brazil has almost nothing to do with other countries in the so-called Latin America. Most of our public schools are named after a person who did something meanful. Smile
ptfrances
Martin Luther King was a great political man and in my opinion it's a shame that the celebration of his 40th anniversary oh his death was so badly made

Crying or Very sad
imera
I have always liked everyone no mater what colour they might have, just dont like the ones that is bad people.
Martin Luther King has no BIG impact on my life, he is one of my heroes. Im not one of those people that can go out in public and state my mind as many other great people might do, but whenever someone comes to me and says something about people that has another ethnic background as them I get pissed off, and tell them what is on my mind, usually that leads to anger between us but I dont want to be with someone that hates others for something they couldnt help. The same goes for those that hate gay people, stupid people. Well, Im not going to state my mind on everything as I would guess you get the picture.

Martin Luther King is one of my heroes, even if Im white.
escritor
Just a silly reminder: the man was Martin Luther King Junior. Smile Nevertheless, when writing the papers, the Governor who was the founder of my school forgot the "Jr". According to my English teacher, my school contacted an American institute, however they refused to put its name in a list just because of the absence of "Jr."
Coclus
I agree, Martin Luther King was a great historical charakter.
escritor
Junior, Coclus, MLK Junior was. Very Happy
MaxStirner
escritor wrote:
Just a silly reminder: the man was Martin Luther King Junior. Smile Nevertheless, when writing the papers, the Governor who was the founder of my school forgot the "Jr". According to my English teacher, my school contacted an American institute, however they refused to put its name in a list just because of the absence of "Jr."

Although it does seem a bit nitpicky, the "Jr.", "Sr" and "III" for "Martin Luther King" do allow us to identify the correct family member. Reverend Martin Luther King, Sr. was a well-known and respected civil rights leader in his own right (in Georgia, as head of the NAACP in Atlanta) and so a mix-up can occur.

++++ OFF_TOPIC ++++
@Escritor:
Many thanks for the donation/prize! The thread closed before I could post a response.
++++ OFF_TOPIC ++++
takashiro
I was confused when I saw your title. Very Happy Just like the famous speech given by Martin Luther King. Smile
escritor
^Me too. hehe. I thought he was going to talk about his dreams.
MaxStirner
I've heard that complaint before so there must be something to it. Esoteric titles are usually intended to rouse interest with those who would otherwise not select a thread; I guess this works both ways. I pledge betterment in that respect Anxious .
akshar
Martin Luther King was inspired by Mahatma Gandhi.
I am inspired by both of them. They are towering personalities.
I wish Bush had understood these people.
escritor
MaxStirner, what matters is that the thread was about an interesting topic at all. Wink
abdou77
I'm agree with you but don't worry about that.. things are about too change
escritor
abdou77, whom do you agree with? Confused akshar?
ptfrances
What a wonderful sentence from Martin Luther King.
Nobody has made such a good discurse since then