FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Just Wondering

phileplanet
I've seen a couple of sites that are similar to this one. They offer free web hosting but you have to post like x times in their forums, get x points, then you apply for the hosting etc, etc, etc... But they seem to have a system where if you keep posting in their forums, you can upgrade your hosting with more space/bandwith etc.
One of them is http://www.dynahosting.net in case anyone wants to see.

Obviously they don't have as many visitors as this site but i think frihost should offer the same thing. if i've not mistaken http://www.dynahosting.net also hosts on cPanel.

If frihost included this upgrade thing, people might actually have some incentive to continue posting on theses forums.
fansey
But I don't whether it supports php and mysql
lockwolf
I could see the forums going to hell if that happened but it may work out
phileplanet
It probably does. i thinks it's the same service as frihost. only they start you out with 50MB or space instead of 250
phileplanet
Here's a link with all of their "packages" http://dynahosting.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3
tidruG
As far as I know, as a policy, Bondings wants to give every member the same package. However, there have been suggestions of offering the senior members extra privileges... and I'm not sure how that's going to work out.

However, there is enough incentive for the users to post... For one thing, it's necessary to have sufficient number of points to keep your site active, and also, you get FRIH$, which can be used to buy graphics/logos/other things in the Marketplace Forum

And in my personal opinion, giving upgrades to people based on them posting will just lead to a lot of spamming. People are going to post anything anytime anywhere to get more posts, in the hope of getting their upgrades faster.
phileplanet
I guess it would lead to more spam. Just a suggestion anyway.
Jack_Hammer
I think upgrade with points of FRIH$ would lead to a lot of spamming yes, but if you were going to give some people upgrades then you wouldn't let it be known to the public that you can get your site upgraded and if a user is fair not spamming and is around and just generally a nice personal and reliable then they could be hand picked for a website upgrade.
n0obie4life
Great bump.
Jack_Hammer
n0obie4life wrote:
Great bump.

Okay that confused me a lot...
Would be a great help if you could explain, thanks
Wink
phileplanet
Jack_Hammer wrote:
I think upgrade with points of FRIH$ would lead to a lot of spamming yes, but if you were going to give some people upgrades then you wouldn't let it be known to the public that you can get your site upgraded and if a user is fair not spamming and is around and just generally a nice personal and reliable then they could be hand picked for a website upgrade.

I think that would definitely be a good idea. Another thing that could happen is that members of the forum could vote/nominate people for web site upgrades. But that might not make sense since people would be pushing for other people to upgrade their account.
CrimsonStrange
rcenterprises wrote:
If frihost included this upgrade thing, people might actually have some incentive to continue posting on these forums.

Why would anybody need or want more than what FriHost already offers!? Shocked

250 megs of space, cPanel access & 10 gigs of bandwidth - just for following the rules & keeping active in the forums. That's truly unheard of!

For anyone who feels that they should be "getting more" for nothing, do some comparisons of free web hosts out there.

Look around, read all those FAQ pages and Terms Of Service pages, ask questions, then come back here to FriHost and realize that this is absolutely the best free hosting package anywhere online.

If you want more, the only thing I can suggest is either shell out the bucks for your own domain name or try to convince an online friend with their own domain name to let you have some space/bandwidth.

As far as incentive goes, (as if the package FriHost offers isn't enough), surely there's got to be at least 1 topic somewhere in the forums here that you can comment on.

If you've got an opinion or point of view, then there's your incentive to post.
gonzo
rcenterprises wrote:
people might actually have some incentive to continue posting on theses forums.

The current incentive is to avoid deletion. That's pretty powerful, no?

Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

CrimsonStrange wrote:
250 megs of space, cPanel access & 10 gigs of bandwidth

That's not a whole heap of space ... depending on what you use it for. Text mostly and you're set for 800 years.

Quote:
domain name or try to convince an online friend with their own domain name to let you have some space/bandwidth.

I have those, but I use frihost to stave off stalkers.

Cool Cool Cool
tidruG
Jack_Hammer wrote:

I don't think Bondings would like that idea too much... I think he's pretty much fixed on giving all members the same package without any partiality...

Also the post about members being able to vote or nominate other members for upgrades... that would result in chaos... People would donate FRIH$ (via PM of course) to others for upgrade nominations, or we might have some people nominating others based on how pretty they look in the Pictures Gallery (this may not happen of course, I'm just giving examples)... All in all, basicaly, I think it'l be pretty chaotic and not completely feasible.
phileplanet
gonzo wrote:
rcenterprises wrote:
people might actually have some incentive to continue posting on theses forums.

The current incentive is to avoid deletion. That's pretty powerful, no?

Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

CrimsonStrange wrote:
250 megs of space, cPanel access & 10 gigs of bandwidth

That's not a whole heap of space ... depending on what you use it for. Text mostly and you're set for 800 years.

Quote:
domain name or try to convince an online friend with their own domain name to let you have some space/bandwidth.

I have those, but I use frihost to stave off stalkers.

Cool Cool Cool

I agree 100%. Actually i didn't know you could get your account deleted by not posting. i thought it was just for the benefit of the members and what not.
Jack_Hammer
Whatever you do you will always have draw backs in some way or another, it's just what your prepared to put up with and how you can cut down on any kind of fraud or spam?,