FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Dreamweaver easy to use?

Ghost900
I use Microsoft Publisher for my web building which seems to be very uncommon here. Very Happy

I am thinking about buying Dreamweaver 8 because I hear it is easy to use and you can have webpages centered, and it comes with alot of nice tools, but when I got a Demo Version it seems very frustrating to use as when I post images in the page and they have to be in a certain area and not just drug anywhere like in Publisher. Many people say it is pretty easy to make nice pages so I want your opinions.

I am pretty good with coding but I generally use Design view and then edit the code to my liking to make it center and whatnot, so I am looking for a good website builder, that allows me to see what I am doing.

Would you recommend Dreamweaver or is there a better program that allows me to see what I am doing? (I have Frontpage 2003 but I hear that teaches people the wrong way of coding.)
boldstance
Dreamweaver is a good program to invest in. I used to before and it's very good. Luckily me I lost my disc and have no way to use it now. I actually miss it. It also good if you want to use Javscript, Flash, or any other media, cause it show the preview of the script.

I would say, just go and buy it. I used microsoft frontpage and it sucks. Dreamweaver is the best.
imagefree
Dreamweaver id Good. Buy it.
{name here}
It's good for a beginner to use the design mode, but if you're serious about making web pages you'll use the "code" mode. It's decent in both areas, so I suggest getting it.
Ghost900
Thanks boldstance, imagefree, and {name here} for your thoughts Smile

I decided I am going to get the entire Macromedia Studio 8 since I have used a trial version of flash and I think using Flash and Fireworks will be nice tools to add to my website as well.
GB
You may want to get Photoshop and Illustrator. I'd recommend purchasing either Adobe's Web Premium or Design Premium editions.

Just some thoughts.
canassassin
yes i agree,

photoshop wil tie in nicely with dreamweaver because of its ability to slice images and such. You should consider it aswell.
shkhanal
Dream is not a thing easy or difficult. In starting few days you'll feel its tough, but its not. The important thing about Dreamweaver is that it is a professional website designing tool. Its much more powerful.
swizzy
Since you seem to be using the Design tab, you should probably stick to Dreamweaver and master it. However people like me who haven't ever clicked on the Design tab should probably always use Notepad++.

P.S.: I just heard Dreamweaver CS4 beta is out! Smile
MGC77
Dreamweaver is pretty easy to use once you learn how to use it. I have dreamweaver but I am still trying to teach myself how to use it. I'll be sure to check back here once I become more familiar myself. I'll also check back if I have any questions myself. Thanks for the thread.
mscon
Dreamweaver is easy. You just can add your text, images etc like you do in a text editor like Ms word. The best part is you can add other active contents like flash movies or java script. Also it' easy to develop css. if you are designing a website you can create a template and change pages without changing them individually. Try Help of dreamweaver you will learn a lot.
themit
Dreamwaver is fantastic. But, it's time to get serious with your web development. When you make a Publisher website, which I used to (years ago), it was fantastic because you could easily layout everything quickly and simply and not worry about code. However, with Dreamweaver, I have found that using design view is fine for basic websites, but when you want to start creating complex CSS sites, you need to be confident in coding the entire thing from scratch and work with a web browser as a preview tool. So, I would suggest that you should start learning HTML code. It's not that complex and it has levels of difficulty, from simply making text bold to using a full CSS setup. Good luck, once you have started creating CSS websites, you'll never look back to Publisher- it generates code that Firefox can't read!
Zuex
Dreamweaver is VERY easy to use, it'll finish off your line of code in most cases.
The best website coding software imo. (Notepad is #2)
filesharing
i used Dreamweaver a couple of times, but i have to say - without basic html/css knowledge (which i have) you are not able to create a good site. Or you need to watch some Tutorials (what I did).
I think it's not the best WYSIWYG Editor for absolute beginners, maybe Adobe GoLive would be easier to use.

for you people who can code, Dreamweaver is a very good piece of software, although a little bit expensive. But it`s worth.
zjosie729
I think it's better to hand code in a text editor, then refresh firefox every few minutes to see it. However, I do think Dreamweaver is the best of the website programs.
gecko
One small comment to the above: use as much web browsers as possible (in means of the engine). Even though differences between Opera (Presto engine) and Safari (WebKit) and Firefox (Gecko) are really small (if any), it's worth testing them all.

But the most important thing is to test Internet Explorer as well - this is really hard one, it always serves problems... Hate it or love it, but don't forget the most popular web browser (unfortunatelly).

And the Dreamweaver - CS 3 is huuuuge, too much RAM it ate as for me. So I stayed with Notepad++ and/or VIM and background web browsers.
Dennise
I have an older version of Dreamweaver (DW3). I think the learning curve is not too steep.

Besides producing code easily, DW has lots of other "must-have" features like fast preview on multiple browsers together with a simple but effective FTP tool to upload your website files and keep them synchronized.

You can probably get a pre-owned copy of DW on ebay. Wink
katnicolas
Dreamweaver is easy to use because it provides your needs specially in doing your site.
Alexrules01
I wish I had Dreamweaver CS3, but sadly I only have Macromedia.

But in Cs3, you have layers, which is uncommon and hard to use in Macromedia
Also in CS3 you have sprys and widgets, very easy to create, try it out!
milk
What's wrong with notepad?
Firilacroco
I'd prefer Notepad 2 rather than Dreamwaver.
NewAgeDesigns
Question Anybody know of any good Dreamweaver tutorials? I've heard that I can use photoshop to create images and then export them to Dreamweaver. Is this what everyone else does? Or is there another way?
JoshuAAR
Most people use photoshop to create their images for the web. But you may be talking about slicing up an image in photoshop and exporting it to a html page? I did that method a few times for some websites when i first started. But I found it to be really unflexible to be able to edit the pages in dreamweaver becasue of the way photoshop sets up the images to fit together. So you cant just go in and add content in dreamweaver without the layout screwing up.

Its a fun way to get started on designing though, but it would be worth while learning how to just set up the layout yourself using div's once you have designed the look in photoshop. Smile
imagefree
JoshuAAR wrote:
Most people use photoshop to create their images for the web. But you may be talking about slicing up an image in photoshop and exporting it to a html page? I did that method a few times for some websites when i first started. But I found it to be really unflexible to be able to edit the pages in dreamweaver becasue of the way photoshop sets up the images to fit together. So you cant just go in and add content in dreamweaver without the layout screwing up.

Its a fun way to get started on designing though, but it would be worth while learning how to just set up the layout yourself using div's once you have designed the look in photoshop. Smile

i create images in Fireworks 8 (relatively old version) and optimize it using Photoshop.

I dont use photoshop for other purposes, cause i dont know how to use it. Fireworks is easy and i learnt using it myself.
the-blurb
I've tried using most web designing products, and I can remember getting Dreamweaver and being severely disappointed. However, It's a great software to use if you're a beginner. As I've become more knowledgeable of html, css, javascript et al I've found that the only things I need to make a website are Notepad and photoshop.
fantabulousinc
Personally, i don't like using these type of html editing softwares. Most of the time, they're more confusing than helpful to me. I usually just make all my websites from scratch using notepad or microsoft word. I used to use frontpage, since it came free on your computer (if you have a pc) and dreamweaver you have to pay for. But I have tried dreamweaver too, and I guess you could say that it was easy, but personally, i just found it all confusing. I just prefer doing everything myself, and besides, when I use software to write my things, I don't feel that same sense of accomplishment when I'm done.