FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Remote Connection

loonix
Hi, apologies if this has been answered, debated or discussed elsewhere. I did use search but didn't come up with much. I am running Windows XP Home edition and would like to connect to this PC remotely from another location. I understand had I been running XP Pro then I could go down the Terminal Server route. I am looking to mainly get access to photoshop/dreamweaver on my home PC from another location so I may work on my site among other things. I have a static IP which makes things, or at least should make things simpler. I have read about many peices of software out there which could acheive this but rather than relying on trial and error , has anybody got experience of doing such a thing and could point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.
djclue917
I assume that you were referring to Remote Desktop Connection (formerly known as Terminal Services) when you said "Terminal Server". In any case, I think that that's the best way to go since it is like already part of the default Windows XP installation. Of course, even when using Linux, you can still connect using rdesktop (via RDP, of course). I hope that this helps.
jackill
Better use VNC, which is safer and cross-platform: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_Network_Computing

The best client IMHO is free TightVNC: http://www.tightvnc.com/

Just add VNC server to autostart on remote computer, forward port and connect from anywhere Smile
loonix
djclue917 wrote:
I assume that you were referring to Remote Desktop Connection (formerly known as Terminal Services) when you said "Terminal Server". In any case, I think that that's the best way to go since it is like already part of the default Windows XP installation. Of course, even when using Linux, you can still connect using rdesktop (via RDP, of course). I hope that this helps.

You are indeed correct :p However I am using XP home and beleive the RDP only comes in on XP Pro.

jackill wrote:
Just add VNC server to autostart on remote computer, forward port and connect from anywhere

Thats exactly the route I have been trying to go down and after your heads up tried getting tightVNC working. I can get LAN access to the machine that way but not WAN. I forwarded the ports but still no joy. I ended up going with LogMeIn, it works beautifully.

Thanks for your help guys