FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Long range wireless internet...





ocalhoun
Does anybody have any suggestions for a way for me to get internet access?
My problems:
-No phone line, no cable line.
-No permission to set up outside antenna/dish
-In a city, but a small city (Biluxi Mississippi), so service on some providers may be lacking
-Laptop with express card slot and USB (not a problem, but a limitation)

I've looked into wireless cards from sprint, verizon et cetera, but there are problems with that. Some limit bandwidth to only 50mb per month, while others only offer a piddly 7kbps in this area.
I've looked into satellite internet, but all the ones I could find require permanent outdoor satellite dishes to be set up.

Is there any alternative to using the filtered, unreliable, slow, and overpriced wifi connection I have now? I'm already paying $50 a month, so price isn't a big deal if I could get better service.
Pepijn
Hi,

I'm Duch so sorry for my English(A)

Here we have UMTS from Vodafone... I really don't know what it costs but maybe it's a solution for you? It's a special SIM card and a PCMIA card wich you put in your laptop and connect to the internet using the Vodafone network...

Grtz,

Pepijn
AftershockVibe
Hmm... the ideal solution is a neighbour with cable who would be willing to share if you paid a part of the bill or whatever and set up a wireless access point.

Granted, this is kind of cheating the question and requires you to be on good terms with your neighbours but I thought I'd mention it if you hadn't thought of it. I'm afraid I don't have any experience with alternatives.
Cool
Pepijn
The ultimate ideal situation is som very kind man who didn't secure his WIFI network... Razz But some people see that as theft(A)
william
I have a way to get unlimited wireless internet, however the speed ranges from 33 kbps to 900 kbps. It usually never goes higher than 128, and will come close to 900 if the signal is really good.

However, from both Verizon and AT&T, I've seen that they have 50 MB, but don't they also have 5 GB? Unless you download games, movies, or other large files, this should suffice. You could also get a cellular data plan, and tether your cell phone to your computer. However, be aware that some companies don't allow this, namely AT&T which became very strict about this after the launch of the iPhone. Also, from Spint, shouldn't you be able to get an unlimited plan for $60 a month? I also know they allow tethering, and you may be able to find other deals if you go that route.
ocalhoun
william wrote:
from Spint, shouldn't you be able to get an unlimited plan for $60 a month?

Sprint does offer that, but I've heard from other people here who have that that the bandwidth available in this specific area is only 7kbps, which makes dial-up look fast.

I've found one that will probably work and ordered it: alltel seems to have good, high speed reception where I am according to their map, and they offer unlimited plans. Hopefully, their coverage map was accurate. I'll see how good they are in around a week.
william
Ah, I see. I assumed speeds wouldn't be bad since the coverage map shows a strong signal in your area. I don't know too much about Alltel, but that looks like a decent plan. Looks like your area can get the 2.4 mpbs, which is a very respectable speed. Good luck!
bigt
Here's another option or two down there on the coast. Cellular South has data cards that work pretty good down there and the unlimited plans are around $50 a month. However, they are still working the bugs out of their EVDO rollout and cards still change back to the old, slower, 1X network. I've had speeds of at least 500Kbps down there on the EVDO.

Also, some of my friends down there are using some kind of longer range wifi, but that may be what you have that sux.

Bottom line, I'd try out a cellSouth card and/or the carrier of your choice. They ought to be willing to let you try their card for a few days w/ the option to take it back. Cellular is also the best choice if you're going to be on the road a lot and not always near a coffee shop or something.

Disclaimer I do not work for Cellular South. In fact, I don't think their voice service is great. My company uses a couple of their cards and this is MHO. Hope this helps.



ocalhoun wrote:
Does anybody have any suggestions for a way for me to get internet access?
My problems:
-No phone line, no cable line.
-No permission to set up outside antenna/dish
-In a city, but a small city (Biluxi Mississippi), so service on some providers may be lacking
-Laptop with express card slot and USB (not a problem, but a limitation)

I've looked into wireless cards from sprint, verizon et cetera, but there are problems with that. Some limit bandwidth to only 50mb per month, while others only offer a piddly 7kbps in this area.
I've looked into satellite internet, but all the ones I could find require permanent outdoor satellite dishes to be set up.

Is there any alternative to using the filtered, unreliable, slow, and overpriced wifi connection I have now? I'm already paying $50 a month, so price isn't a big deal if I could get better service.
Craeft
There are a few options. One is to see if there are any 900MHz wISPs in your area. These things are pretty sweet and the bandwidth is symmetrical. They're usually a little pricey at the start, but NOTHING like Satlleite prices.

The other options -- THESE are the fun ones. *big cheesy grin**

Get yourself a USB dongle and a peach can. No seriously... go to the market, buy a can of peaches (3" diameter can is best), eat said peaches or throw them out, whichever you prefer. wash and dry can. Cut a slit in the can about 1 - 2" from the closed end and place the USB dongle through the slit so that the internal antenna is focused JUST BELOW the center of the can (on the long axis). Plug the dongle into your computer and do a scan with your new "cantenna". If you still aren't finding an open WiFi signal, no problem. If you have any old satellite dishes lying around, remove the LNB, cut off the "circular" portion and tape the can to it so that the open end of the can is on the feed horn, facing the dish itself. Do another scan for WiFi signal. THen there are other options too, but if you do this one right, you're gonna get the best and strongest signal you can imagine.

Remember one thing... if you find a WiFi signal and it is not WEPed or otherwise encrypted, it is NOT ILLEGAL to use it. Only if you have to break an encryption does it become illegal.
ForceRun
I had the same problem, we use DirectWay satilite for a few year as it was the only option for us at the time. They were really bad, connection problems, very low speed, and very limited downloading. Now we use Smarterbroadband.com they are a fixed wireless (line of sight) we get 1Mb down and 412Kb up, now I can game and actually use the internet. There might be other options for you just check the local websites, paper, and the neighborhood news. Thats all I can tell you.
Craeft
ForceRun wrote:
I had the same problem, we use DirectWay satilite for a few year as it was the only option for us at the time.


Oh, man.. ouch. I used to install for DirecWay. Oh man.. you ok? Can I get you a pillow or some tea? Seriously, I feel for you.

Quote:
They were really bad, connection problems, very low speed, and very limited downloading.


This, ladies and gentlemen, is the understatement of the millenia.

Quote:

Now we use Smarterbroadband.com they are a fixed wireless (line of sight) we get 1Mb down and 412Kb up, now I can game and actually use the internet. There might be other options for you just check the local websites, paper, and the neighborhood news. Thats all I can tell you.


Are they a 900MHz terrestrial? That's what we're using here. I love it. But being a HAM op, of course I do. Being a licensed HAM, I'm not restricted by the legal 3W power limit for 900MHz. Very Happy

Today, I just got done building a new 2.4GHz WiFi antenna. Took one of our old Wild Blue satellite dishes, took off the LNB and reflector. Drilled a hole through the reflector and made a bi-quad antenna. Attached that to the reflector and then cut a 5-inch diameter coffee can to about 4 inches down (so I had a 4-inch deep ring). Placed that over the bi-quad as an RF shield for the side-lobes and hooked it up to the router with LMR600 coax and... WHEW!!! Walk in front of that thing and you'll go sterile! Signal jumped from 13% to 82%. The beam is naaaarrrrooowwwww though. We're talking about a 6 field.

Anyway... there's my geeky moment.
ForceRun
Not sure what hardware they use, but it is so nice.
Related topics
The future of Wi-Fi
Wireless connection
Surf Sub-Sonic
Wireless and/or MSN Problem...
Bluetooth
Wireless Internet
what is the diffence between WiMax and 802.11n
PlayStation 3
900MHz Wireless Internet
Illegal Un-AuthorizedWireless Internet
Long Range Wireless
Radio modems for wireless internet conection
Physics Promises Wireless Power
How do i extend lan to beyond 100 meter limit?
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Computers -> Hardware and Electronics

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.