FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Download manager that is good with intermittant connections?

ocalhoun
So I'm stuck with an often slow and always unreliable internet connection, and the built in download managers with my browsers don't handle it well when the connection cuts out, then reconnects. They often just stop the download there and make no more progress until it is restarted.
Does anybody know a download manager that handles an intermittent connection like that one well?
(Oh, and it's for windows vista, which I unfortunately cannot get off my laptop yet.)
bigdan
I use Free Download Manager. It's good, if it can't find the connection, it will pause the download and start again from the pause point when you get your connection back up, provided the server supports resuming.

Grab it at http://freedownloadmanager.org/

It also handles BT downloads too if you're interested.
ocalhoun
That one does look good. I'll try it. Thank you! I know there are many to choose from, thanks for helping me find a good one out of all of them.
Indyan
I think pretty much all decent download managers would work. Just set the number of retries to infinite. If you want me to name a specific download manager -I would name Flashget.
fadirocks
bigdan wrote:
I use Free Download Manager. It's good, if it can't find the connection, it will pause the download and start again from the pause point when you get your connection back up, provided the server supports resuming.

Grab it at http://freedownloadmanager.org/

It also handles BT downloads too if you're interested.

I've been using it for a long time, I love the stuff
I also use DownThemAll it's an addon for Firefox2 Smile
bigdan
fadirocks wrote:

I've been using it for a long time, I love the stuff
I also use DownThemAll it's an addon for Firefox2 Smile

I use Flashgot myself.

Also, I believe it can create its own portable download manager for a USB drive as well. When I get around to putting some apps on my USB drive, that'll be one of them.

Oh, and did I mention...it's free? Wink Laughing Cool
dude_xyx
I use MetaProducts Download Express . Its tiny like 700 kb and totally free. Also it works with both Internet explore and fireworks.
bulek
I recommend you FlashGet as well. It's very advanced program with many options and settings.