FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Anthem - Ayn Rand

Blaster
Recently i read this book for english. This had to be one of my favorite books ever to read for school. Its a great book about how people should be distinguished as oneself not as a group.

http://www.noblesoul.com/orc/books/rand/anthem/summary.html wrote:
Anthem is written as the diary of Equality 7-2521, a young man living in a future in which people have lost all knowledge of individualism, to the point of not even knowing words like 'I' or 'mine.' Everyone lives and works in collective groups, with all aspects of daily life dictated by councils -- the Council of Vocations, the Council of Scholars, etc. When he is assigned to a menial job cleaning the streets, Equality 7-2521 rebels against collectivism by conducting secret scientific research, which eventually leads him to re-create electric light. When he presents his discovery to the Council of Scholars, they condemn him for daring to act as an individual and threaten to destroy his creation. He flees into the Uncharted Forest. He is joined there by his love, a girl called Liberty 5-3000. They come across an ancient house, a relic of the Unmentionable Times before collectivism. There they rediscover the lost language of the self. They rename themselves Prometheus and Gaea (after the ancient Greek myths), and Prometheus vows to use his new knowledge to build a society based on individual freedom.

Read it online for free at
http://www.pagebypagebooks.com/Ayn_Rand/Anthem/
escritor
It's looks a bit difficult for a first book. Razz The plot seems to be interesting. I enjoy utopias and dystopias stories.
MaxStirner
Blaster wrote:
Recently i read this book for english ...

That's interesting. Most (ex-)Randians I know were introduced to objectivism by reading "Atlas Shrugged" or "The Fountainhead", not one of the earlier books such as "Anthem" or "We the Living", or one of the nonfiction works such as "The Romantic Manifesto". In any case, if you enjoyed "Anthem" as your first Rand book, you still have her best novels ahead of you. Enjoy.

PS: Your link to the eBook surprised me a bit; I was not aware that "Anthem" was never copyrighted in the US (it's also available on gutenberg.org).

PPS: Checking up on the "Anthem" copyright I noticed that Lion Gate Films apparently has "Atlas Shrugged" in preproduction ... starring Angelina Jolie as Dagny Taggert. OMG ...

EDIT (4/19): It is of course "Taggart" and not "Taggert" ...
TurtleShell
MaxStirner wrote:
Blaster wrote:
Recently i read this book for english ...

That's interesting. Most (ex-)Randians I know were introduced to objectivism by reading "Atlas Shrugged" or "The Fountainhead", not one of the earlier books such as "Anthem" or "We the Living", or one of the nonfiction works such as "The Romantic Manifesto". In any case, if you enjoyed "Anthem" as your first Rand book, you still have her best novels ahead of you. Enjoy.

PS: Your link to the eBook surprised me a bit; I was not aware that "Anthem" was never copyrighted in the US (it's also available on gutenberg.org).

PPS: Checking up on the "Anthem" copyright I noticed that Lion Gate Films apparently has "Atlas Shrugged" in preproduction ... starring Angelina Jolie as Dagny Taggert. OMG ...

I think I started a reply to this but never finished it. Anthem was my first Rand too--actually, I have never read any of her others, although I did enjoy Anthem a great deal. I always got the impression if you've read one AR, you've read them all. that's probably not fair.