FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Better database management software

kk_loke86
Hello, wanna ask a question about the database management software in used.. Which one is your main option when you have decided to create a database? mySQL or MS Access or have something better than both of it?
RiCtee
It depends on how big or complex your database will/might be. If it's something small and basic Microsoft Access would suffice. But if you want more advanced functions and easy integration with web, MySQL is the best option.
AftershockVibe
MS Access is severely underpowered and underfeatured to use for large applications. Or at least it was when I used it (that was Access 2000, granted). Security, performance under load and multiple users (which is a main purpose of a database) leave a lot to be desired.

It doesn't work in quite the same way as most other database software either. Firstly, it's front end GUI and database management system aren't differentiated between from the user's perspective and secondly it treats a database as a file rather than a database management service that you connect to.

Having said that, it does work so prototyping things on it can't hurt. However, I'd suggest just downloading MySQL and MySQL Client tools for free.