FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Internal Server Error when posting in phpbb3

Crinoid
There is a similar recent post with the same problem Internal Server Error with phpbb3 with no solution so far. I don't know, if it is permitted - to add own problem in another person's thread, so I made a separate thread.

1. I installed yesterday phpBB3 forum, and started posting myself today. After several posts, pressing Preview or Submit buttons started to show "500 Internal Server Error" page:
Quote:
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@defineyourreef.frihost.net and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

2. Error log shows the same 500 Internal Server Error, The page is not found.
3. Logging off and on in phpBB3 didn't help.

I'm using CP.

If there are any prohibited words, that cause this error, where can I find the list of them? I don't see how it is possible to guess or work out, what word caused problem (each time).

Thank you.
rufa
This looks exactly as the problem I have. I just tracked it down to the word "from". Whenever it's in the post I can't preview or submit without getting the error.

Try removing all "from" in the text and preview. The temporary thing I've done atm is adding word censoring, makeing 'fr0m' look like 'from'. And then added a 500shtml error file that tells the user that they have to us 'fr0m' instead of from if they get the error.
Not a very good solution though.. would really appreciate if we got any help with this problem :S.
loyal
Speaking from personal experience, i think your problem is that you are missing some files. Try backing up your mysql database, config.php/settings.php (or anything similiar), backing up your mods/hacks, and your themes. Then delete your forums. Download from the phpbb website the package, upload the files again. Restore the database, upload your config.php which you saved earlier.

See if it works.

Peace.
Crinoid
rufa:
I was referring to your post, exactly the same situation, except the word "from": it was present in both - permitted and stopped posts, same thread.
I also have other problems with phpBB3 settings: no activation account by user, and setting the global moderator doesn't work, checking email against valid addresses db shows "do not exist" for perfectly valid in all other places (like this forum) email address. Posted this question in Website software forum.
I have the same version phpBB3 currently installed on another host - these functions worked, but uploading attachments didn't work. On this host - the opposite, same version of phpBB from the same sourse, with less than a month difference in installation.

Update: Just checked where the word problem may be, adding one paragraph at time, with Preview each time - to see when error appears. You are right - the word "from". After truncation o (letter) to 0(zero) it passed without error. Very odd.
Can you tell, how add text in 500 Error page, and where it is located? Thanks.

loyal:
FTP client program had shown that all files were uploaded. The installation is new - 2 days all, with no mods, no themes, and no database import - all information was entered manually. phpBB website package. As I said, it was installed recently in another place and worked the different way, than here.
It could be my mistake somewhere, but all was done according phpbb website guide.

I may try delete forums and install again, but setting permissions and configuring board takes a lot of time, it would be the last resort.

Thank you both!
Anybody else with the same problem, what else it could be?
rufa
loyal wrote:
Speaking from personal experience, i think your problem is that you are missing some files. Try backing up your mysql database, config.php/settings.php (or anything similiar), backing up your mods/hacks, and your themes. Then delete your forums. Download from the phpbb website the package, upload the files again. Restore the database, upload your config.php which you saved earlier.

See if it works.

Peace.

I have reinstalled the forum twice without any change. Still get the error. No idea why -.-
I have a mod installed, but I have also tried with the fresh install and it got the same error.

Crinoid, just make a html file and fill it with whatever you want your error to contain. Then name it 500.sthlm and put it in your root folder. This way I can inform ppl to use fr0m instead Razz..
Crinoid
Thank you! Will do that.
If you find where the problem is, post, please - I'll watch your and this threads.
Psycho_X52
I had the same problem with phpbb3 and my CMS.
Try to reupload the original .htaccess : )

It worked for me.
apple
and I came here thinking I was the only one having problems.

I have re installed it 3 times with no changes now I am getting that I do not have permission to access the database.

help!
rufa
Psycho_X52 wrote:
I had the same problem with phpbb3 and my CMS.
Try to reupload the original .htaccess : )

It worked for me.

Did not work. Tried uploading original, deleting it. Nothing.

Any help from frihost staff? Since it's an internal server error it should be on the host's end, eh?
Crinoid
Overwriting htaccess worked for me for a several posts, than had to trunkate the word "from" again - for making the post pass preview and posting.

Users, who have phpBB3 installed, can you help me:

I also have problems inside Admin Panel in phpBB3:
1. There are no activation account by user (Disable activation and None activation at all - are the only options available. This is the same version of phpBB3 that on another host has 4 options, including By User and By admin)
2. Assigning the global moderator doesn't work - permissions return to users permissions, and no green color, indicating moderator (works for the phpBB3 in another place).
3. Checking email during registration against the valid addresses remote database shows "do not exist" for email address, perfectly valid in all other places, like this forum (no problem was with previous installation in another place).
Posted this question in Website software forum http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-90823.html.
Do you have the same problems and how to work around them?
Thanks.
mOrpheuS
I did a test installation of phpBB3 on Server 1, and I'm unable to reproduce any of the errors/issues reported by users above ... Confused

Does the "500 - Internal Server Error" occur every time there's a "from" in a post ? Or do such posts get through sometimes ?
It's working just fine here.
Crinoid
I'm on server 1 too. Normal "from" passed posting 5 times in one thread, but starting from 6th error page was shown (this thread).
After overwritting htaccess by the original file from install pack, "from" passed posting 3 times, 4th had to be trucated (here).

The only way to check it (as I can see it) is to register and make several posts.

Could be user mistake, but I hadn't this problem with the same install pack before.
rufa
mOrpheuS wrote:
I did a test installation of phpBB3 on Server 1, and I'm unable to reproduce any of the errors/issues reported by users above ... Confused

Does the "500 - Internal Server Error" occur every time there's a "from" in a post ? Or do such posts get through sometimes ?
It's working just fine here.

My 'from' msg have never passed through. Always get the error. Even after I tried resetting my .htaccess file.
mOrpheuS
Hope you don't mind the "spam" -

But I still don't get "it" Confused
Crinoid
Just did the same, in you test thread and in one of the threads, that didn't allow this word passage after the first few posts. Now all was perfectly OK.

But when tried to change previously truncated "fr0m" to normal "from" - again "500 Internal Server Error".

If you can access error log in my CP, it should be there. The post that I tried to change, is here, the last comprehensible post before new testing meaningless posts.

Just in case, compared files and permissions for phpBB3 on both hosts - all the same, no mistake with setting different file permissions was made.
guitarjim
rufa wrote:
This looks exactly as the problem I have. I just tracked it down to the word "from". Whenever it's in the post I can't preview or submit without getting the error.

Try removing all "from" in the text and preview. The temporary thing I've done atm is adding word censoring, makeing 'fr0m' look like 'from'. And then added a 500shtml error file that tells the user that they have to us 'fr0m' instead of from if they get the error.
Not a very good solution though.. would really appreciate if we got any help with this problem :S.

Was there ever a fix for this? I am experiencing the same problem with "from" and also "update". Given those terms, is it logical that they are somehow being interpreted as SQL statements/clauses?
Kermit
Do e-mails work in Yours forums? If not, check the mail queue in queue.php file (/cache/queue.php). I had the same problem - this file was damaged (unfinished, some last signs was missing). When I deleted it, all errors gone and mails started working.

Forgive my weak English, I'm Pole. I found this thread when I had searching the solution of this problem, so when I found how to solve it, I thought that You want to know...

Best regards