FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Atlantis

Do you believe Atlantis existed?
Yes
63%
 63%  [ 19 ]
No
36%
 36%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 30

gandalfthegrey
Hey,

I wanted to know what everyone thinks about the Atlantis legend.

Do you believe it existed or not?
If so, where to you think it was located? Santorini? Black Sea? South America? Azores?

I use to think it was complete rubbish. But recent archaeological evidence has shown some amazing findings...
(1) they've found tobacco in the Pyramids of Egypt
(2) the discovery of the Pyramids of Caral in Peru, dated to the same time period as the Pyramids in Egypt
(3) evidence of a 'great flood'
MaxStirner
If you are asking if Plato based his account of Atlantis on some historic or contemporary occurance, such as a serious volcanic eruption or other natural disaster (of which quite few are documented), then yes, it would certainly be in character with other works of the times. If you, as I am assuming, are looking for a more sensational explanation, then the answer is "no": I see no amount of proof for any wild theories making Atlantis a mythical island populated by an advanced race (usually) somewhere outside the Mediterranean ocean. The last "theory" I heard placed Atlantis on a (sunken) island in the Poopo Lake on the Bolivian Antiplano. Pfft. Extraordinary claims demand extraordinary proof and I haven't even seen any ordinary proof of any kind.
Bikerman
I concur.
Plato is the only reference for Atlantis - all other accounts are later and are based on Plato - specifically Timaeus and Critias.
There are two (sensible) schools of thought. One school believe it is pure allegory - Plato used the story of Atlantis to illustrate his own political theories. The other school believe it could have been based on either historical tragedy (such as the Trojan war) or contemporaneous events such as the destruction of Helike.
Much of the rest is pseudo-science and psycho-babble.
MeddlingMonk
In my opinion, Plato's statements about Atlantis aren't enough to prove that it existed. I find all the rumours interesting, but don't give them much credibility. If Atlantis did exist, then it isn't likely to have been as Plato described - if any of his claims are true, then I would be more inclined to accept the suggestion that some disaster destroyed Atlantis. I would think that the story of a great disaster would be more likely to survive over time rather than the specific details, such as the layout of the city, the materials with which it was built and the civilisation that inhabited it.
Ennex
Hmm...

I always found Atlantis quite interesting. However I do believe it exists but there are just so many different accounts of its whereabouts and existance to really make an accurate presumption. Some say it was a city below a volcano, which erupted destroying the city completely, others say it was destroyed in a great flood, or sinking island. Some say it is in the middle of the Atlantis Ocean, Santorini islands, coast of america and many others.

It really depends on what scientist you look at really...everyone has their own theory so I'm just going to hope sometmie in the next 50 years we find something so then I can come back here *assuming its even up.......* *.... some more....* and make a definate answer. But it might help if we knew what Atlantis really was, a city destroyed by a volcano, or sunk *maybe by a volcano*, guess we can't be certain.
medievalman26
Yes, I believe in Atlantis....the TV show Stargate Atlantis. I think Atlantis for real is a definite maybe.
Coclus
I think atlantis is one big made up story, although I don't know much about the background, i.e. when this story was created..
MaxStirner
Coclus wrote:
I think atlantis is one big made up story, although I don't know much about the background, i.e. when this story was created..

The only original mention of Atlantis that I recall is in Plato's Dialogues. Everything else is wishful / romantic thinking. Perhaps Plato did base his account of Atlantis on some historic backround, but that is about it. It's a captivating story, but still only a story.
Bikerman
MaxStirner wrote:
Coclus wrote:

The only original mention of Atlantis that I recall is in Plato's Dialogues. Everything else is wishful / romantic thinking. Perhaps Plato did base his account of Atlantis on some historic backround, but that is about it. It's a captivating story, but still only a story.

This is correct. The first mention is Plato. All subsequent mentions are based on Plato's account. Plato may well have based his story on a historical happening - as previously mentioned. It is very unlikely, however, that it was anything that we would today recognise as 'Atlantis' - the submerged civilisation. It is much more likely to have been based on a more prosaic disaster such as Helike
mattgutmann
it has got to exist. the world is big enough to hold it all somewheres.
Bikerman
mattgutmann wrote:
it has got to exist. the world is big enough to hold it all somewheres.

Well, the world is certainly big enough to hold a large pink talking teapot called Nigel, but I don't think you will find one soon...
Radar
I'm not sure either way, but the idea it being Santorini does sound like the most realistic explanation.

I did once read a very detailed analysis on this website that argued that it was this large landmass between Asia and Australia, from an earlier time when it wasn't underwater. Found that intriguing, but not convinced.

So - not quite willing to say that it was real, but happy to debate what it might have been, or where it might have existed.
yagnyavalkya
May be it did but for all we knwo it even does now
Poetsunited
Atlantis is fun to believe in, same as the monster of loch ness or that the great pyramids were build by aliens.

it's all nice but really... If Atlantis would be found it would be
1 : made by man ( like they made the romulus and remus cave ( http://www.reuters.com/article/scienceNews/idUSL2069138320071120 )
and
2 : wasted by the forces of nature...

I like the show ( Stargate Atlantis ) and it's fun to believe in something that is not yet discovered but the sources are low and clues to finding it ( if they existed ) have probably been removed by time.
lagoon
I suppose just because Plato described a cave does not mean it existed (which it obviously doesn't), so perhaps Atlantis could have just been some kind of way to communicate his philosophical views.
roninmedia
If you're looking for the super futuristic Atlantis that we see portrayed in the media with actual modern technology and some sort of force field dome, you won't get. The media has a tendency to do something like that.

If it's a civilization like Egypt that we can say was very ahead of it's time, I definitely think it's possible. Plato made his description of Atlantis, but I would contend that a lot of his tale is hyperbole that has captured the imagination of later generations that has really sensationalized it.
TrueFact
It is a story that I liked to hear when I was young enough to believe it, but now, I can watch its movies may be to enjoy a couple of hours or so...

Even though, to my knowledge, that no one so far has reached physically the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean, were some claimed it is there in the very beginning, but they have equipment that did and they found nothing but solid stones. no spaceships or any advanced technologies. but still some people like Prof. Arysio Nunes dos Santos say: we were looking in the wrong places and that with the help of our new technologies, and the advance of the different sciences we can locate the exact location of Atlantis.
Prof. Arysio claims it is down under the South China Sea and he made a whole book about it and about his theory.

Looks like Plato made an ever lasting mystery Smile
imera
I would say that it existed, maybe not like we hear the tale but there is many mysteries in this world. A whole city was burried under the ash of a volcano in Italy, so why can't a city disappear beneath water or something like that. Could be that they built it on something that wasn't secure, or a flood took the city.

Anyway, I believe it has some truth to it, whatever the reason might be or the real story.
muffinman187
i believe in the existence of Atlantis but where it's located i do not know. A great civilization existed during the Greeks is plausible because look at all the known great Kingdoms of ancient time, the Mesopotamian, Mayan, Aztec, Egyptian, even the great Native American Indian.
TrueFact
If we take it the way you mean, imera, then we can rely on the fact that "every myth has its share of reality", in other words, every myth has really happened but long times made it vary then differ than the original incident. The longer the time passes, the more the story is mixed, varied and differed than the original incident.
bigt
MeddlingMonk wrote:
In my opinion, Plato's statements about Atlantis aren't enough to prove that it existed. I find all the rumours interesting, but don't give them much credibility. If Atlantis did exist, then it isn't likely to have been as Plato described - if any of his claims are true, then I would be more inclined to accept the suggestion that some disaster destroyed Atlantis. I would think that the story of a great disaster would be more likely to survive over time rather than the specific details, such as the layout of the city, the materials with which it was built and the civilisation that inhabited it.

I agree and I'm leaning toward it not existing.
Xaferrow
i thought atlantis were existed Shocked

well, i may dont have any proof, but i do feel the aura Laughing Laughing Laughing

Atlantis = Exist Question
tukun2009manit
gandalfthegrey wrote:
Hey,

I wanted to know what everyone thinks about the Atlantis legend.

Do you believe it existed or not?
If so, where to you think it was located? Santorini? Black Sea? South America? Azores?

I use to think it was complete rubbish. But recent archaeological evidence has shown some amazing findings...
(1) they've found tobacco in the Pyramids of Egypt
(2) the discovery of the Pyramids of Caral in Peru, dated to the same time period as the Pyramids in Egypt
(3) evidence of a 'great flood'

[Content removed since it merely copy-pasted information from HERE - Bikerman]
Solon_Poledourus
Bikerman wrote:
I concur.
Plato is the only reference for Atlantis - all other accounts are later and are based on Plato - specifically Timaeus and Critias.
But even then, Plato credits his knowledge of Atlantis to a man named Solon(yay!), who got it from Egyptian preists.
I don't go for the Edgar Cayce Atlantis story of an island of people who talk to fish through crystals or whatever. I do believe there was a civilization at one time, which probably had better technology than the rest of the world, and had it's own history reaching back much farther than we give credit for. I think they were the people who inspired alot of knowledge throughout the world, including the worldwide phenomenon of megalithic buildings and astronomy and many other things.
Many ancient cultures believed in a long lost civilization which brought knowledge to the world, the Aztecs called it Aztlan(eerily similar to Atlantis), for instance.
Sadly, historians are as stubborn as religious zealots when it comes to writing history. Once they have it written that something happend this way at this time, it takes an act of god to get them to consider another possibility, especially something as big as an Atlantean civilization, which would rewrite history altogether.
But in short, yes, I believe there was such a civilization. But I wonder what they called themselves.
DJLoneWolf
I think Atlantis was real. Because they have found some ancient pottery that used to belong to the city. And it also had name cravings and also some pictures. But they were too scratched to properly analyse who they were
Solon_Poledourus
DJLoneWolf wrote:
I think Atlantis was real.
Fair enough.
DJLoneWolf wrote:
Because they have found some ancient pottery that used to belong to the city.
Who found this "ancient pottery"? Please post a link to a credible source, because I am dying to know.
DJLoneWolf wrote:
And it also had name cravings and also some pictures.
You may be thinking of Santorini, which is the place many scholars believe the Atlantis myth was based on. I tend to disagree. Again, you should provide sources for this groundbreaking info you have.
DJLoneWolf wrote:
But they were too scratched to properly analyse who they were
So how did "they" know it was from Atlantis?
anakin_skyrunner
I voted "no", as there is no real evidence for this city. It's only speculation in my eyes Wink
atleetalie
Plato wrote lots about things which didn't exist, just to explain his philosofy. So there might be a city on which his tellings are based, but the city of Atlantis never existed. It's not like Troy, which was found and distroyed thanks to Homer.
Solon_Poledourus
atleetalie wrote:
Plato wrote lots about things which didn't exist, just to explain his philosofy. So there might be a city on which his tellings are based, but the city of Atlantis never existed. It's not like Troy, which was found and distroyed thanks to Homer.
First off, Homer neither discovered, nor destroyed, the city of Troy. Secondly, Homer wrote the Illiad(the story of the Trojan war) sometime between the late 9th and early 8th centuries BC. The city remained mythical, just like Atlantis, until 1870, when it was discovered by Heinrich Schliemann. Other cities of mythology have been found as well, and divers may have found the ruins of a mythical city off the coast of India.
I understand you don't believe Atlantis existed, but 200 years ago, you would not have believed Troy was real either. I don't claim to know that Atlantis existed, but just because we haven't found it yet, doesn't mean it isn't real. Just like Troy.
matam
I believe it exist.
yagnyavalkya
How can one believe something which is not been proved to have existed
Bikerman
yagnyavalkya wrote:
If it HAD been proved to exist then you wouldn't need to believe it, you would know it.
deanhills
I would like to believe Atlantis existed. To believe is much healthier for the immune system than to "know". Knowledge is an awesome responsibility and always a challenge, as for every theory there is always a counter-theory and opposite point of view. With belief comes imagination and creativity, Atlantis has completely captured all of that for me.
yagnyavalkya
Bikerman wrote:
yagnyavalkya wrote:
If it HAD been proved to exist then you wouldn't need to believe it, you would know it.

OK
My simple answer is I don't believe in Atlantis!
Solon_Poledourus
yagnyavalkya wrote:
OK
My simple answer is I don't believe in Atlantis!
Duly noted. It's far too unbelievable that a flood drowned an entire civilization.
deanhills wrote:
I would like to believe Atlantis existed.
Not only do I believe there was a civilization upon which Atlantis(amongst others) was based, but I'll go even further. I believe there is a period of human pre-history which we have not yet acknowledged properly. We have myths, ambiguous and scant evidence... but the biggest problem we have in discovering this part of history is, well, historians. When I say "historians" in this context, I mean archaeologists, geologists, etc. These people are just as dogmatic as religious zealots when it comes to their disciplines. Once they have written down that something in history happened a certain way, at a certain time, it's almost impossible to get them to accept a differing theory. Even if there is new evidence to support the new theory.

If every culture in the world had passed down information about animal husbandry, I'm sure we would have put resources into the study of their methods. When every culture around the world has a story about an ancient and advanced civilization that was destroyed by a flood, it ought to be taken seriously. I'm not saying it should be taken "literally", just taken seriously. We should do a little digging before we make the judgment that it's a complete work of fiction.
yagnyavalkya
It is difficult ot believe what is nto having a proff
Solon_Poledourus
yagnyavalkya wrote:
It is difficult ot believe what is nto having a proff
Tell that to religious people.
ortie10
Here’s how I see it, Plato in his time was a respectable and creditable Philosopher and he was given this title because of his qualifications and integrity. If Plato were alive today and he wrote about a place that everyone had no idea existed he would be known as a fake. I have no doubt people in his time new of such a place as Atlantis or they too would dismiss his account as nothing but hallucinations. As most historical accounts do pan out Atlantis is a story no one can connect the dots to and confirm without doubt. I believe it did exist or we wouldn’t know of it today after so many years.
deanhills
ortie10 wrote:
Here’s how I see it, Plato in his time was a respectable and creditable Philosopher and he was given this title because of his qualifications and integrity. If Plato were alive today and he wrote about a place that everyone had no idea existed he would be known as a fake. I have no doubt people in his time new of such a place as Atlantis or they too would dismiss his account as nothing but hallucinations. As most historical accounts do pan out Atlantis is a story no one can connect the dots to and confirm without doubt. I believe it did exist or we wouldn’t know of it today after so many years.
I guess this is the equivalent of where there is smoke there has to be a fire Smile

As a sidenote, I have been thinking about it lately that we always have this notion that civilization started at zero a number of centuries ago, and then progressed through the years to our current state, which is far-advanced from zero. But I wonder whether some of the civilizations in the much earlier years, before Christ, could have been much more advanced than we are today.
yagnyavalkya
One is forced to go by the records in History
Nero
While the theory is really cool, I highly doubt there would such an underwater city lost, as we would of found it by now. It also doesn't make sense and there's completely no evidence so...
Though the Bermuda Triangle link to the Altantis does give some support to it, I don't believe it.
ortie10
deanhills wrote:
ortie10 wrote:
I guess this is the equivalent of where there is smoke there has to be a fire Smile

As a sidenote, I have been thinking about it lately that we always have this notion that civilization started at zero a number of centuries ago, and then progressed through the years to our current state, which is far-advanced from zero. But I wonder whether some of the civilizations in the much earlier years, before Christ, could have been much more advanced than we are today.

Maybe Atlantis was passed on to us as a beckon of recognition to that very point you made. We owe everything to civilizations of the past. Anyone who has the slightest insight in how important history is would know this. In retrospect then maybe Atlantis was made up for that sole reason, to enlighten future civilizations of how much humanity has accomplished in the past of what could be forgotten today. If this was the purpose of the accounts documented then it would makes sense that it was accepted in that time. However, I doubt it was made up but rather Atlantis is either undiscovered or partially discovered without absolute scientific proof. It’s a puzzle that is coming together slowly, one day all the necessary resources and historical documentation will be available to close the chapter on Atlantis and make it a part of literal history. Shocked
Tuvitor
Atlantis has always been a favorite legend of mine. It's become a subject of the novels I am writing/publishing--a fantasy/sci-fi trilogy that ends with Atlantis' destruction in 9718 B.C. The general premise being an age of legends where many creatures of myth and folklore were real, and knowledge of hyperdimensional sciences (a.k.a. Magic) was tapped by forces malevolent and benign.

In reality, I believe there may be several different civilizations to vanish without a trace for various cataclysmic reasons. In the early Bronze Age, certain disasters could very well do such things without leaving a trace. Perhaps some tales were all left behind of these places, and the stories were embellished upon as they passed hands.
ujjawall
ujjawall
Here’s how I see it, Plato in his time was a respectable and creditable Philosopher and he was given this title because of his qualifications and integrity. If Plato were alive today and he wrote about a place that everyone had no idea existed he would be known as a fake. I have no doubt people in his time new of such a place as Atlantis or they too would dismiss his account as nothing but hallucinations. As most historical accounts do pan out Atlantis is a story no one can connect the dots to and confirm without doubt. I believe it did exist or we wouldn’t know of it today after so many years. Razz Razz Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
ujjawall
Many ancient cultures believed in a long lost civilization which brought knowledge to the world, the Aztecs called it Aztlan(eerily similar to Atlantis), for instance.
Sadly, historians are as stubborn as religious zealots when it comes to writing history. Once they have it written that something happend this way at this time, it takes an act of god to get them to consider another possibility, especially something as big as an Atlantean civilization, which would rewrite history altogether.
But in short, yes, I believe there was such a civilization. But I wonder Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Laughing Laughing
Radar
Doubtful that it actually existed, but it's an intriguing notion.

The many theories that people have developed over time about it are amazing, especially the more convincing ones.