FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Deep Purple - Bananas

basementgamesltd
Hey all,

Deep Purple is an awesome band founded in the 1960s but are still around to this day. I saw them live over the summer and it was the best concert I'd seen. Anyways, here's a little porps for one of their newer albums.

Rock veterans Deep Purple return with their most innovative cd in years. Gone is longtime Deep Purple keyboard wiz Jon Lord who is replaced with Don Airey (an accomlished keyboardist in his own right). At first I was skeptical as to how Deep Purple's latest would sound without Lord, but to my surprise Airey (who sounds like Keith Emerson on some songs) fits right into the group's lineup. Also, back again are Deep Purple veterans Ian Gillian, Ian Paice, Roger Glover and ex-Dixie Dreggs guitarist Steve Morse (who replaced original Purple guitarist Ritchie Blacmore years ago). Morses guitar playing is superb on "Bananas" and (in my opinion) is as good if not better than Blackmore's. Morse even sounds a bit like Blackmore on songs such as "Silver Tongue" and "House Of Pain". And Deep Purple vocalist Ian Gillian has to be one of rock's best singers and he still sounds as great today as the day he joined Deep Purple back in 1970. Deep Purple members Ian Paice (drums) and Roger Glover (bass) have never lost their touch and without them Deep Purple would have died years ago. "Bananas" is a pretty hard rocking cd and includes some excellent rockers such as "House Of Pain", "I Got Your Number", "Sun Goes Down", "Razzle Dazzle", "Silver Tongue", "Bananas", "Picture Of Innocence", "Doing It Tonight", and "Never A Word". The cd's several slower songs "Haunted" and "Walk On", while not in the same category as Deep Purple's classic song "Child In Time", are still nice additions. While "Bananas" is no "Machine Head" in terms of mass appeal, it comes darn close and that's enough for this longtime Deep Purple fan to have bought it. Highly Recommended!

Keep it real...
TVme
Wow, it's great to hear that Deep Purple is still rocking with the same quality as the old days. I also saw Deep Purple, and without Richie Blackmore - in 1975 in Ft Worth Texas. The new guitarist was a kid by the name of Tommy Bolin. I loved the concert at the time, but reading reviews about that version of the band years later was disappointing. They were promoting the record "Come Taste the Band" the album received luke warm sales and reviews at the time, but now it is a very well respected milestone in Deep Purple's history. Thanks for the 2008 review of a Blackmoreless Purple... I am definately buying that one.
flyfamilyguy
basementgamesltd wrote:
Hey all,

Deep Purple is an awesome band founded in the 1960s but are still around to this day. I saw them live over the summer and it was the best concert I'd seen. Anyways, here's a little porps for one of their newer albums.

Rock veterans Deep Purple return with their most innovative cd in years. Gone is longtime Deep Purple keyboard wiz Jon Lord who is replaced with Don Airey (an accomlished keyboardist in his own right). At first I was skeptical as to how Deep Purple's latest would sound without Lord, but to my surprise Airey (who sounds like Keith Emerson on some songs) fits right into the group's lineup. Also, back again are Deep Purple veterans Ian Gillian, Ian Paice, Roger Glover and ex-Dixie Dreggs guitarist Steve Morse (who replaced original Purple guitarist Ritchie Blacmore years ago). Morses guitar playing is superb on "Bananas" and (in my opinion) is as good if not better than Blackmore's. Morse even sounds a bit like Blackmore on songs such as "Silver Tongue" and "House Of Pain". And Deep Purple vocalist Ian Gillian has to be one of rock's best singers and he still sounds as great today as the day he joined Deep Purple back in 1970. Deep Purple members Ian Paice (drums) and Roger Glover (bass) have never lost their touch and without them Deep Purple would have died years ago. "Bananas" is a pretty hard rocking cd and includes some excellent rockers such as "House Of Pain", "I Got Your Number", "Sun Goes Down", "Razzle Dazzle", "Silver Tongue", "Bananas", "Picture Of Innocence", "Doing It Tonight", and "Never A Word". The cd's several slower songs "Haunted" and "Walk On", while not in the same category as Deep Purple's classic song "Child In Time", are still nice additions. While "Bananas" is no "Machine Head" in terms of mass appeal, it comes darn close and that's enough for this longtime Deep Purple fan to have bought it. Highly Recommended!

Keep it real...

Tommy Bolin Rocks! I lived in Sioux City Iowa for 12 years (Tommy Bolin is from Sioux City), and hung out with his brother, who is a fantastic drummer in his own right, as well as several friends.
Deep Purple has a very rich history, and I am a big fan!
Phil
I remember back in the mid-80s Deep Purple got back together and put out an album called Perfect Strangers that I got. Now I had like some of Deep Purples tunes like Smoke on the Water and Woman from Tokyo, but I really wasn't that familiar with them at the time. But Perfect Strangers just blew me away. A few months later I picked up Fireball while at maneuvers at Fort Polk. I can still remember the first time I heard the tract Fools on my walkman. Fot those of you who have never heard it, it starts off very easy and serene. Then explodes into an avalanche of heavy guitars.
I was hooked.
Very shortly thereafter my girlfriend bought me their greatest hits double-album....... that's the big black vinyl discs that made music many decades ago, for you youngsters. I'm sure you've read about them in history class.
It's amazing that these guys are still around.