FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

adobe photoshop or the gimp?

nisibdv
I am about to design some templates for a couple of sites and facing the time demanding task of learning to use some drawing-image editing program. To the best of knowledge the best programs are photoshop (windogs) and the Gimp (linux) but know both take some considerable time to learn to work with.

I am eager of people to tell me about their own experience in the learning process of both image editing programs, because I don't have much time and, having the possibility to use both windows or linux, one to learn how to use only one of them.
csoftdev
gimp is free software, photoshop is a paid one, so it depends on what you want and how much you are willing to spend as photoshop is quite an expensive software. for me and if you are familiar enough with gimp, you can achieve most of the things in gimp wihtout the use of photoshop.
Phil
I'm hardly a professional designer, so I tend to use simpler graphics for my sites. Lots of text for headings and photo resizing.
I've used GIMP for years and never had much trouble. A friend gave me and older copy of Photoshop a while back and all I can say is Im finding it difficult to get into. I know what I do can be done in Photoshop, but I actually find it a pain to do even simple things with it, so I keep going back to GIMP.
The Windows version of GIMP, I think it's like 2.4. Something, actually works very well compared to early versions. Very stable. And another pleasant development is the number of resources for GIMP that is now available on the web. A few years ago it was very hard to find any up to date resources. Now there are at least a handful of informative sites and forums.
My biggest complaint about GIMP has got to be its interface. The windows are all......"separate and indivual" -- for lack of a better description. Any clicking outside any of the active GIMP windows will send them all to minimize land at the bottom of the screen. There are steps you can take to work with this, but it's a pain never the less.
It's funny. When you ask a question like "GIMP or Photoshop".
Hardcore Adobe fans will claim there is no alternative -- I think they're sub-consciously justifying paying that outrageous price.
Hardcore GIMP fans will claim they can do everything that Photoshop users can do -- I think many of these tend to be against-the-grain, anti-establishment types. Or maybe their just cheap and don't want to admit it. (Although for the average guy, it's hard to find a good reason to pay $800-$1000 to "try out" a single program)
My advice to you would be try GIMP out. If it does what you want, great. If not, cough up the bucks and buy Photoshop -- You can probably find some good deals on Ebay.
Shewolf
I have to agree with Phil here: try GIMP first, and if you do have a lot of money you want to spend, then buy Photoshop.
Personally I used Photoshop for ages, but due to some computer change and lack of money I am now trying to get used to GIMP. Compared to Phil I got the same, yet opposite problems. - as I know Photoshop inside out and am pretty new to GIMP.
For basic use I suppose none of them are better than the other. It's just a different piece of software, that's all Smile
Phil
Shewolf,
There is a program called GIMPShop. It supposedly makes GIMP more like Photoshop.
I've never really tried it, though I plan on it in the near future.
Maybe it will make your transistion a little smoother.
snowboardalliance
I use both.
I'd say go with GIMP, it's free to get into and I had no problem learning it. If you do switch to photoshop though, you may have some trouble at first. I found that a lot of things are different, but now I can use either.
bulek
I'm far away from professional designer but I have worked in both programs. In my opinion, user interface in Photoshop is much better and clear. It also has more functions, filters, tools, etc. You will find much more tutorials for Photoshop as well, even whole DVD's.
But on the other side, GIMP is totally free and if you are planning to make business with designing, you will either have to buy Photoshop our just you it's open-source alternative GIMP.
deadbeat136
ive used gimp and photoshop i prefer gimp its alot easier to learn
catscratches
I prefer GIMP to Photoshop since it's a lot more customizable and the interface is wonderful once you learn to use it. Photoshop's interface is more like Paint, easy to learn, but such a pain in the ass.
Studio Madcrow
I happen to like GIMP for a lot of stuff, but it has one big problem, namely the fact that it doesn't support color depths deeper than 8 bits per pixel (24 bit RGB or 32 bit RGBA) If they ever get it working with 16 bits per pixel, I'll be happy...

I love the new healing brush tool, though.
Da Rossa
Photoshop.
welshsteve
I cannot stand The Gimp. It's interface is horrible to use. Give me Photoshop any day

I've tried Paint Shop Pro in the past, but prefer Photoshop.

However, for people on a budget I can understand them using The Gimp, although a far better alternative for me is Paint.NET (www.getpaint.net). For a free program it's very powerful. It requires the .NET framework, which you should have installed anyway.
HamsterMan
welshsteve wrote:
I cannot stand The Gimp. It's interface is horrible to use. Give me Photoshop any day

Truth.

Gimp would otherwise be nice, but having + 5 windows crowding the screen while working on an image is just a pain. But if they add a docked option I would use it alot more.
b4r4t
If You starting with this then first try GIMP ... because if You learn on photoshop You will stuck with it because GIMP isn't as good as Adobe software.
But when You try GIMP on first, You may see that maybe You don't need nothing else.
You may check GimpShop as well - one window, photoshop-like interface - It will be easier to switch to photoshop when You will feel that You need something more then GIMP.

One more software, between GIMP and Photoshop is PaintShop Pro ... I worked on it few months, and I must say that I liked it Smile
welshsteve
HamsterMan wrote:
welshsteve wrote:

Truth.

Gimp would otherwise be nice, but having + 5 windows crowding the screen while working on an image is just a pain. But if they add a docked option I would use it alot more.

They have done a version called gimpshop (http://www.gimpshop.com), which is supposed to appeal to Photoshop fans, but the interface is still messy to me.
Bones
I've never tried Gimp, but I've used photoshop and really like it. There is a fairly steep learning curve at first, but there are tons of tutorials at http://www.good-tutorials.com/
Arno v. Lumig
Photoshop is definately better if you want to do some complex image editing, but it's hardly worth the price if you are just a regular user. You can try Photoshop for free for 21 (?) days, so you can decide for yourself if you like it enough to buy it. If you're a student you might be able to get it cheaper for non-professional use. I recommend against Photoshop Elements (which is the cheaper variant of Photoshop).
DjMilez
I prefer Paint.NET because it doesn't use tons of system resources.
LostOverThere
Arno v. Lumig wrote:
Photoshop is definately better if you want to do some complex image editing, but it's hardly worth the price if you are just a regular user. You can try Photoshop for free for 21 (?) days, so you can decide for yourself if you like it enough to buy it. If you're a student you might be able to get it cheaper for non-professional use. I recommend against Photoshop Elements (which is the cheaper variant of Photoshop).

I Agree, I use Photoshop Elements which does the job for me, I use it a fair bit but its all I need at the moment.
welshsteve
DjMilez wrote:

Paint.NET is an excellent free tool. The best free graphics tool available in my opinion
Studio Madcrow
DjMilez wrote:

Paint.NET is cool, but it uses the .NET framework, which actually means that it uses MORE system resources (RAM, CPU time, etc) than GIMP (and probably Photoshop too)
Kelcey
well gimp is free... photoshop isn't. But I do prefer photoshop much more.
CruceFx
PHOTOSHOP FTW lol if it was more processor friendly at times would be GREAT...
kansloos
I have worked with Photoshop before and now mainly use the Gimp, which works out for me just fine. I tend to only pirate stuff from the internet when there is no open alternative. I must admit that I rarely buy software, but I do prefer open over pirated stuff.
orcaz
I like photoshop, and itz considered the industry standard for image editing. however, gimp is a good alternative if u dun wan to pay so much for photoshop
webmaster_cuernavaca
nisibdv wrote:
I am about to design some templates for a couple of sites and facing the time demanding task of learning to use some drawing-image editing program. To the best of knowledge the best programs are photoshop (windogs) and the Gimp (linux) but know both take some considerable time to learn to work with.

I am eager of people to tell me about their own experience in the learning process of both image editing programs, because I don't have much time and, having the possibility to use both windows or linux, one to learn how to use only one of them.

well the best design software and tutorials and resources Photoshop , easy and professional for all designers activities
drakkarsoft
Arno v. Lumig wrote:
Photoshop is definately better if you want to do some complex image editing, but it's hardly worth the price if you are just a regular user. You can try Photoshop for free for 21 (?) days, so you can decide for yourself if you like it enough to buy it.

I am a big pro for photoshop.The free trial period is far less enough for you to get an impression of how good it is. It worth the time to learn it. Learning materials on photoshop are a lot more than GIMP. There are a lot of tutorials and forums dedicated to photoshop. You will never get regret for spending the time and effort to learning photoshop. And it is industry standard, which means many softwares are learning from it and are trying to compatible with it.
I would highly recommend photoshop.
blk3
I say go with GIMP mainly because its for free. And besides a Photoshop master can do great with Photoshop while a GIMP master can do great with GIMP. So for its capabilities I'd say more or less they are the same. It's just a matter of spending time to learn so you can develop good techniques.
iKorean
It Depends On What You Are Doing With Them.
Like Me, I Create Web Templates And Graphics ( Buttons, Images, Etc.. ) And I Really Love The Set Up Of Photoshop. Easy To Use(If You Know What Your Doing) It Is Actually A Advanced Image Editing System. Along With, Fireworks, Cinema 4d, Etc.. Basically All Adobe Products Are Great.

Now On The Other Hand. Gimp Is Really Great For Beginners, Like If Your Making Siggys And Etc..
kerryworkman
I started out with photoshop and as a result will probably stay with it. I have tried gimp, it was fine, I can't say I would use it again, but only because I prefer photoshop. I don't think it matters too much which one you choose, if you take the time to learn the program I am sure that either one will suit your needs. Which leaves the determining factor in the hands of price, which is where gimp has photoshop beat hands down.
Wolfie
The GIMP is a great programme. I can tell you that.

But there're not many (modern [nice graphics]) tutorials. Photoshop has a much bigger community. But I use them both and I can tell you that GIMP is also the solution.

But you have to learn how to work with it. Try to find many toturials and learn! Photoshop (only) tutorials are also good if you're a bit more experienced with GIMP. You will be smart enough to see how they did it in Photoshop so you can also make it in GIMP.

Melle
carlospro7
I have only used photoshop. I tried gimp for a little bit, but I gave up trying to figure out the interface. I think photoshop also has a hard to figure out interface, but I took a course on it and learned it that way
Studio Madcrow
carlospro7 wrote:
I have only used photoshop. I tried gimp for a little bit, but I gave up trying to figure out the interface. I think photoshop also has a hard to figure out interface, but I took a course on it and learned it that way

Neither has an interface that's all THAT hard... Both are basically using super-enhanced versions of the same basic interface paradigm as the original MacPaint, after all. GIMP's menu organization is a bit more haphazard, but other than that, the interface differences seem (to me at least) fairly minor.
soljarag
Nothing beats good ol' photoshop.... But if you can't afford it.. GIMP it is!
fantabulousinc
Personally, I've never used Gimp. Photoshop's been pretty good to me. Finding out how to use came naturally to me. But of course, not everyone is the same. It depends, if you already have photoshop on your computer, then you should want to use that since it's more sophisticated and has more features than gimp. But if you don't have photoshop, then just use gimp because you can accomplish alot of gimp, even though not as much as photoshop, and it is free, instead of almost a hundred dollars like some photoshop programs may be.
hofodomo01
I've tried GIMP, and I'm sure that it's a great program, but after such a long time of using Photoshop, I just can't seem to make myself comfortable with their interface setup.
moh853
I think Photoshop is more powerful and easier to learn. There was a time that the two were quite equal but CS2 onward photoshop has certainly got better.
cyberbuddy
i personally think that Adobe Photoshop is the best in terms of professional editing of images and yes its true that most of the people will vote for adobe only.Its quite obvious that a software which is much effective will only be a super hit .Adobe photo shop latest versions is Adobe Photoshop's latest version is Extended 3 which is much advance in nature.Gimp is also a very good software to edit our photos and very good part of GIMP is that it freely available and yes it is also much effective in image editing tools.On the other hand adobe photoshop is an expensive software which is a very big matter of concern when it comes to software purchasing .I perfer Gimp for small scale editng of images and if u want to establish your self in image processing or image editing then the right one is Adobe Photoshop

thank u Very Happy
Pepperfan
Both Photoshop and Gimp are better than the other at somethings. But if you are getting started you need to stick to one or the other until you are doing pretty good.

Photoshop does much better in creating jpegs especially if you have to really compress your work for the web. Photoshop has better tutorials and such available. But If you can't afford the price of admission don't worry Gimp will do very nicely. I would suggest the Gimpshop though just to make photoshop a little easier to learn if later you decide you need to get Photoshop. Note if you want to make it a career you almost certainly will need Photoshop

Charles
crimson_aria
I have never tried GIMP so I don't know the difference. But I'm satisfied and delighted with Adobe Photoshop so I don't think I'll try another.
misterXY
Phil wrote:
Shewolf,
There is a program called GIMPShop. It supposedly makes GIMP more like Photoshop.
I've never really tried it, though I plan on it in the near future.
Maybe it will make your transistion a little smoother.

l heard its dead program?(the gimpshop)
but l just heard of gimphoto? and gimpad etc.. try that out (google it)
leosthenerd
Photoshop pwns gimp, no questions asked.
rshewade
I have used both personally feel GIMP is better than Photoshop. also new coming Paint.NET is an excellent.
ParsaAkbari
I have started off with photoshop and i am in love with it lol! The things i have made with it are so amazing ( well in my opinion ).
davidfromoz
I like GIMP because its free and open. I can install it on any PC. I can carry it on my memory stick and run it anywhere. I can run it under Linux and Windows. And for the things I do, it gets the job done.

But there are lots of reasons to use Photoshop. Firstly, as many have pointed out the interface on GIMP is not that great. The multiple window thing is especially frustrating for me. Next GIMP doesn't support CMYK so basically, if you are going to output for print then GIMP is not the best choice. If you're really into photography then the fact that GIMP only supports 8 bits per color channel might be a negative (though probably not for regular photo handling). GIMP doesn't support adjustment layers (layers that non-destructively alter an image). GIMP color management is kind of weak. And finally, if you want to learn for professional reasons, then knowing Photoshop is far more likely to be of benefit to you at your next job interview etc.

I'd say the learning curve on both software packages is about the same. You will find a lot more photoshop tutorials. But there are plenty of GIMP tutorials out there too.

That might seem like a lot of reasons to pick Photoshop. But for somebody like me who just wants to make some simple graphics for their webpage (like the OP) and touch up their photos (I do worry that at some point I might hit the wall here, but so far so good), then I have never felt like I was missing anything. And I can buy an extra lens for my camera with the money I saved by not buying Photoshop.

cheers,
david
davidfromoz
I like GIMP because its free and open. I can install it on any PC. I can carry it on my memory stick and run it anywhere. I can run it under Linux and Windows. And for the things I do, it gets the job done.

But there are lots of reasons to use Photoshop. Firstly, as many have pointed out the interface on GIMP is not that great. The multiple window thing is especially frustrating for me. Next GIMP doesn't support CMYK so basically, if you are going to output for print then GIMP is not the best choice. If you're really into photography then the fact that GIMP only supports 8 bits per color channel might be a negative (though probably not for regular photo handling). GIMP doesn't support adjustment layers (layers that non-destructively alter an image). GIMP color management is kind of weak. And finally, if you want to learn for professional reasons, then knowing Photoshop is far more likely to be of benefit to you at your next job interview etc.

I'd say the learning curve on both software packages is about the same. You will find a lot more photoshop tutorials. But there are plenty of GIMP tutorials out there too.

That might seem like a lot of reasons to pick Photoshop. But for somebody like me who just wants to make some simple graphics for their webpage (like the OP) and touch up their photos (I do worry that at some point I might hit the wall here, but so far so good), then I have never felt like I was missing anything. And I can buy an extra lens for my camera with the money I saved by not buying Photoshop.

cheers,
david
hofodomo01
I mainly used Photoshop, and I've also tried GIMP a little. They say that GIMP can do all that Photoshop can do, and I have no reason not to believe them. I'm sure GIMP has its merits, but this is what I say to GIMP users: you keep using your GIMP...I think I'll stick to Photoshop.
thienxa1
Photoshop is greated.but It dificulty to use
welshsteve
thienxa1 wrote:
Photoshop is greated.but It dificulty to use

Not as difficult as the Gimp in my opinion.

An easier, albeit less powerful, alternative is Paint.NET
Studio Madcrow
The only important feature missing from the GIMP is support for 16-bit-per-channel color. With modern DSLR cameras offering 12 or even 14 bit RAW capture, it's really a shame to not be able to use the extra color data in GIMP. Still, support for "deep" color is coming in the next major version and then there will be no reason for Photoshop...
mwsupra
Well I certainly like Photoshop more. I think its easier to use and has more features. However nothing beats the portability of GIMP. I have a copy on my flash drive and can do photo editing at work, which would never be possible with PS. Also its free which is a bonus Very Happy
HeavyVanilla
Well, i'm a little into both programs.And i prefer Photoshop over Gimp.

If you are used to the windows platform, and grown up with MS paint, then you'll find Photoshop to be the easiest.
But it's like comparing the two 3D applications: 3dsmax and Blender.

They both have their cons and pros.
The one may have a more intuitive interface than the other one, but if you get used to the other one, it may be far more productive.

Anyways, i would say it also depends on your knowledge of the pirate industry. It's the easy way to Photoshop, the other way is the extremly expensive and will cost you 700 bucks for the standard version. (The extended version with 3D features comes from around 1000 bucks, so it's not a cheap deal.)
If you aren't a pirate, and don't have huge pockets with gold, then stick with the gimp.
dickyzin
Photoshop is the better program and my personal favorite. It might be a bit complex and complicated to use but it's got a lot of functionality and quite powerful.
pumpin
Photoshop man!
davidhawkins123
photoshop is the best if you have the money for it.

gimp is to hard to use and isnt 1 program it has lots of different toolbars that get confusing

a great free image program is paint.NET Very Happy
biljap
Ive never tried Gimp but Ive heard it is good program. I use Photoshop and Im satisfied with it.
khanzin
Photoshop is better.
Gimp is Cheaper, and good too.

These two are great softwares!

Laughing