FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

firefox get slower and slower after using it for a while.

nisibdv
I have installed mozila firefox version 2.0.0.13 a short time ago and I face now the following problem.

When I launch the programm everything works fine, the sites are loded according to the download rate of the net and everything works fine. But after a while of navigating the net and opening different tabs on the window, I find the the programm gets stucked once and once again. It gets out of this paralised situation by poping up an alert saying that a script have had a failure and offers the possibility to continue or abort the script. Independentely of what option I choose, after cliking to one of them the browser goes on working properly, until after opening a new tab or reloading a new page it gets stuked again.

Is someone having the sme problems with firefox as i have. It wold be nice to hear of someone with the same problem, so I dont fell so alone in this failing world.
mcfearless
some pc specs might help diagnose the problem but as you said you were using multiple tabs that might be the problem. Using two tabs is like having two windows open, it just groups them in one. You might have too many tabs open/loading at once. The ammount depends on your computer but i can easily have 20-25 tabs open with no troubles. I am using Firefox 3 beta 4.

Hope this in some way helps
Studio Madcrow
That's usually a symptom of you trying to visit one or more pages with WAY too much badly-written Javascript. Chances are, a single site is causing all your problems.
bulek
You can solve this by disabling internet history in about:config, I think there is no other way. However, Firefox 3 beta uses a little bit less system resources. You should try it!
KingPuff
Firefox is a resource hog once you have add-ons and multiple tabs open. But I don't think I have experience the slowdown that you mentioned.
Jaan
If it's to do with scripts, I recommend you install NoScript, the addon. Very useful. Also make sure you don't have a bare minimum of processes running.
welshsteve
The issue lies with a major defect of Firefox 2 ever since it was in the beta stage. That being a major memory leak issue, which despite many many people noticing it, has never been resolved.

Basically, you open firefox and it runs using a small amount of RAM, but as soon as you start visiting web pages, the browser demands more RAM, as you'd expect. However, when you close these websites/tabs, and firefox no longer requires the extra memory, it does not release it back to the O/S, resulting in the RAM being hogged by Firefox increasing more and more the longer you leave it open.

The best way around this is to simply close Firefox down and re-open every once in a while.
djclue917
Short answer: memory leaks in Firefox 2.
Use the latest beta of Firefox 3 instead. It's quite stable now and it performs way better than Firefox 2 in terms of memory consumption and speed. I guess the guys at Mozilla went back to basics after Firefox 2 became crap.
welshsteve
djclue917 wrote:
Short answer: memory leaks in Firefox 2.
Use the latest beta of Firefox 3 instead. It's quite stable now and it performs way better than Firefox 2 in terms of memory consumption and speed. I guess the guys at Mozilla went back to basics after Firefox 2 became crap.

What's the extension support like now?

Last time I checked, hardly any of my extensions were compatible with Firefox 3, including important ones like NoScript, McAfee Site Advisor and AdBlock Plus. I also use, IETab, Web Developer toolbar, Firebug, DownThemAll, Dummy Lipsum and SpeedDial
chartcentral
djclue917 wrote:
Use the latest beta of Firefox 3 instead.

Or use the latest Mozilla Firefox version at 2.0.0.14. Smile
grzesiek86
I use Opera, and i haven`t problems. I recommend this browser
MrBlueSky
A lot (most?) memory problems with Firefox are caused by extensions and plugins. Check this page if you want to see which extensions are problematic with which versions of FF: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Problematic_extensions. Also see: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Reducing_memory_usage_-_Firefox about FF memory usage, and http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/faqs/memusage.html.
reiika101
grzesiek86 wrote:
I use Opera, and i haven`t problems. I recommend this browser

Same here, I use Opera, although some websites are not compatible with it. Perhaps Valid XHTML and CSS will make more sites compatible with other more browsers. Cool
Ghost Rider103
I've used IE for years, never had one problem.

I IE, since I have had firefox as well, and it is rather slow.
orcaz
Firefox 2 has memory leaks, which is why it gets damn lag after using it for a long time. so i usually close it frequently to prevent it from using 300mb ram. hope this is fixed in firefox 3.
LostOverThere
Yeah, Firefox 2 has some serious memory leaks. As others have said, you may consider trying Firefox 3, which seems to run a lot faster and lighter. Alternatively, you may wish to try another browser, like Opera.
csoftdev
i don't think firefox is slow, it is so much faster than other web browsers that i have tried even IE 6 or 7. try it out yourself with different browsers available out there. i heard that a browser for macOS is faster but I don't have chance to try.
Kelcey
It sucks up a lot of ram here... and never really releases it. So I think you might be experiencing the same thing as I am.
sivaganesh1232000
i too Had the Same Problem. Try Uninstalling Mozilla Firefox and its data in your PC.
Then Freshly Install Mozilla Firefox. you will get the Maximum Speed

The image “http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:hDWmeFLzIIlRNM:http://www.mrbambang.com-a.googlepages.com/firefox_eats_ie.jpg”