FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Pain in the legs

MapleNoob
I started track a few weeks ago and lately I have having this pain in my leg. It starts from my foot is n it follows my vein up into my knee and then it goes um my thigh and up to my lower back. This only happens when i run though. When i walk and such i am fine. When i run , it is still fine but when i stop running the pain won't go away for a few hours. It hurts so much i can barely stand but i keep pushing my self. Is that a bad thing? How do i fix this problem?
the666bbq
hi,

if you suffer that long from the pain, and the pain goes all the way up to your lower back you should stop running at least until you properly know what is causing this. It could be anything from a stressfracture in the foot to pelvic/lower back problems.

When you start running you should increase the load progressively, especially when you were not very active before...

When you are planning to take on running as your new sport, it is best to have a running center fit you the appropriate shoe. It sounds very absurd when you have all those sporting shoe shops with hundreds of models of many known brands but distance running is causing higher loads than wandering from one terrace to another showing off your new whatevertheyarecalled.
When I started running again I had the common shintpains. i went to a running center and was amazed about the number of models they had too from some well known fashion brands to the specialized running brands. When the expert examined my running style, weight, and goals he let me choose between two specific shoes only. I picked one, and not only did my pains (that was so painful that I always was a little bit afraid of it when I started running) go away but it really was like running on little fluffy clouds concrete or not...

running makes your feet bare many times your own weight so, be gentle on them...
MapleNoob
yeah, it might be my shoes.
Aiz
Whether it was your shoes or not, I think you should stop running immediately and consult with a medical professional about the pain you've been experiencing since keep running might mean risking permanent injuries to your legs. =/

Personally, I think it would be much safer to continue after a doctor or whatnot checks and makes sure that running will not hurt your body, since running has known to cause a few injuries of it's own.

Better to be safe than sorry, right?

And oh, be sure to stretch properly before running sessions too if you aren't doing that already.

Here's an About site about running injuries just in case:
http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/sportsmedicine/a/runninginjury.htm
driftingfe3s
Does this pain go up from the back of your leg or more to the outer side of the leg?

I've had some pain on the outside of my leg near the knee due to my flat feet I over overpronated my feet which put strain on my IT band. Doing stetches and execises the I don't get pain as frequently. You should really see a doctor to determine what the problem is.
MapleNoob
Aiz wrote:
Whether it was your shoes or not, I think you should stop running immediately and consult with a medical professional about the pain you've been experiencing since keep running might mean risking permanent injuries to your legs. =/

Personally, I think it would be much safer to continue after a doctor or whatnot checks and makes sure that running will not hurt your body, since running has known to cause a few injuries of it's own.

Better to be safe than sorry, right?

And oh, be sure to stretch properly before running sessions too if you aren't doing that already.

Here's an About site about running injuries just in case:
http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/sportsmedicine/a/runninginjury.htm

are you kidding me....? i haven't stopped.....i have been running for 3 weeks with this problem and i can't stop. my first track me to tomorrow.

driftingfe3s wrote:
Does this pain go up from the back of your leg or more to the outer side of the leg?

I've had some pain on the outside of my leg near the knee due to my flat feet I over overpronated my feet which put strain on my IT band. Doing stetches and execises the I don't get pain as frequently. You should really see a doctor to determine what the problem is.

i have flat feet but the gell things i got aren't helping. Actually today i somehow had alot of energy than usual and it didn't hurt as much. I think my legs are getting better. Heres an editing picture. the red is where it hurts alot.

redace
MapleNoob wrote:
I started track a few weeks ago and lately I have having this pain in my leg. It starts from my foot is n it follows my vein up into my knee and then it goes um my thigh and up to my lower back. This only happens when i run though. When i walk and such i am fine. When i run , it is still fine but when i stop running the pain won't go away for a few hours. It hurts so much i can barely stand but i keep pushing my self. Is that a bad thing? How do i fix this problem?

Firstly, stop running. That pain you are describing is not normal. Then I would consider visiting a doctor and try to solve things out. Some stretching is also helpful. Good luck.
Aiz
MapleNoob wrote:

are you kidding me....? i haven't stopped.....i have been running for 3 weeks with this problem and i can't stop. my first track me to tomorrow.

Well, it's your choice, your body, and your legs; so do what you wish with them since no one can make you do otherwise. But, at the very least, drop by a doctor's office to get some tests done or even just to talk to them about it and see what advice they can give. Because injuries from running can be serious (such as stress fractures, ruined knee, etc...and the list goes on), and chances are, you already hurt your legs by continuing to run in that pain.

So, instead of just trying to stick through the pain without knowing what was really causing it and risk such injuries, you should really consult with a doctor about it and see what can be done to correct it so you can run pain-free =/

This is gonna sound really cliche but, what you do to your body now will come back to haunt you later on (well, muuuch later, but still), better take care of yourself now, right?
MapleNoob
Aiz wrote:
MapleNoob wrote:

Well, it's your choice, your body, and your legs; so do what you wish with them since no one can make you do otherwise. But, at the very least, drop by a doctor's office to get some tests done or even just to talk to them about it and see what advice they can give. Because injuries from running can be serious (such as stress fractures, ruined knee, etc...and the list goes on), and chances are, you already hurt your legs by continuing to run in that pain.

So, instead of just trying to stick through the pain without knowing what was really causing it and risk such injuries, you should really consult with a doctor about it and see what can be done to correct it so you can run pain-free =/

This is gonna sound really cliche but, what you do to your body now will come back to haunt you later on (well, muuuch later, but still), better take care of yourself now, right?

i m seeing the trainer tomorrow.
gr8inferno
If it hurts "stop", dont push your self if its shooting pain. Check with your Dr. - might be poor circulation of your blood. try strecth before running , or stick with brisk walking for a couple weeks, always elevate your legs when resting, try different ways for cool down and incoporate rubbing or massaging your legs. Look into pycnogenol this help circulation and blood flow. try this for couple of weeks.
MapleNoob
driftingfe3s wrote:

both. it just hurts in the back and i can't locate the pain. in the front it follows my vein up to my knees.
driftingfe3s
MapleNoob wrote:

both. it just hurts in the back and i can't locate the pain. in the front it follows my vein up to my knees.

This doesn't sound like typical running injuries. A friend of mine had pain in his legs that he couldn't really locate and it turns out after getting checked by a doctor that he had micro-fractures in his some of the bones in his legs. He had to wait till they healed before he could run agian.

I doubt you'll find any help identifying what is causing your pain here. I'd see a doctor if I were you, but it's your choice. Anyways, keep us updated if there are any improvements or if you find out what it is.
woundedhealer
You should not ignore pain which goes up the legs and into your back. I live with back pain every day, and take whole load of painkillers to make the pain managable. You do not want to risk this. You really should stop running until you get this checked out. It could be something simple as the wrong kind of running shoes on the other hand...........!!
nigam
I agree everybodys' opinion here. you better stop running and seek medical help. Health is Wealth. So, take care of it.
Aiz
MapleNoob wrote:

i m seeing the trainer tomorrow.

Hmm, it's been a while but I'm just checking back on you. How are you feeling now? Are the pain still there or did they get better? And what did your trainer say? Still continuing with the running?

It's been over 2 months, but haha, I've been too busy lately to check back on frihost. I hope you are feeling better now~
robinhanks
everything would be OK, wish you get well
kerryworkman
MapleNoob wrote:

Good Morning Maplenoob,

First sorry you are feeling pain in your leg with running. From the sound of your symptoms I think you would have discovered this pain sooner or later with regular walking and activity; the running just brought this to your attention quicker. Even though you are feeling this pain in your foot, leg and then your back , I would guess that the main problem is your low back and sciatica with radicular pain down the leg. You should ease up or stop the running for the time being, contact your primary physician with your symptoms and maybe suggest to him that he prescribe some visits with a physical therapist. The therapist will set up a series of stretches and strengthening exersises to increase your core strength and diminish the pain you are having with stretches to low back. If you do not have the type of insurance that allows such treatment, your physician should be able to help you out. You will know that whatever program you do that when the pain stops or lightens down the leg you are going in the right direction and when it has localized to just low back, you are not too far from returning to running and more active sports. Good luck, and do not forget to see your physician before starting any exercise program.