FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

I'm finally back!

ocalhoun
I finally made it back to Frihost!
I've been gone the last 8 weeks because of basic training for the Air Force. (Yes, it is supposed to be 6 weeks: I got recycled and it took me a week after it was over to get connected again.) It all turned out well, though. Now I'm an airman 1st class, making about 4x as much as I was at my last job, and with a much cooler and more promising career. I'm currently in training to be a ground radar technician; I couldn't get the job I asked for (networking related).

Now I'm at negative 25 points! No problem though, I plan to go for the most posts in one day record today. I have no idea what that record is, but I suspect that 8 weeks worth of my posting compressed into one day will beat it... I'm starting at 3541 posts, let's see what I finish with.
Aless
Well seeing as you have positive 25 points, I think you must be well on your way now...
ocalhoun
^Oh, yeah. I'm coming back with a vengeance.
I'm only through general chat and suggestions and I already have 20 posts...
It's great to be back!
rightclickscott
Nobody ca- Oh, wait, it's Ocalhoun. Sup?
Afaceinthematrix
Congratulations on your new job and I hope you enjoy it! Were you the one that made a post a while back asking if you should join the navy and then someone suggested that you try the air force? I remember a post like that a while back.
rufa
ocalhoun wrote:
I've been gone the last 8 weeks because of basic training for the Air Force. (Yes, it is supposed to be 6 weeks: I got recycled and it took me a week after it was over to get connected again.) It all turned out well, though. Now I'm an airman 1st class, making about 4x as much as I was at my last job, and with a much cooler and more promising career. I'm currently in training to be a ground radar technician; I couldn't get the job I asked for (networking related).

Now I'm at negative 25 points! No problem though, I plan to go for the most posts in one day record today. I have no idea what that record is, but I suspect that 8 weeks worth of my posting compressed into one day will beat it... I'm starting at 3541 posts, let's see what I finish with.

Go man go! Not that I know you, I'm fairly new to the forums, but you seem to be one of the big posters here Wink. Welcome back!
ocalhoun
rufa wrote:

Go man go! Not that I know you, I'm fairly new to the forums, but you seem to be one of the big posters here Wink. Welcome back!

Heh, in fact, you joined while I was gone, so I'm not sure you can technically welcome me back...
Its all good anyway, though.

Afaceinthematrix wrote:
Congratulations on your new job and I hope you enjoy it! Were you the one that made a post a while back asking if you should join the navy and then someone suggested that you try the air force? I remember a post like that a while back.

Its true! I was steered toward the air force right here at Frihost. Who says Frihost doesn't improve lives? And if anybody was wondering weather giving advice here on the forums was worthwhile, this proves it.
rufa
ocalhoun wrote:
rufa wrote:

Heh, in fact, you joined while I was gone, so I'm not sure you can technically welcome me back...
Its all good anyway, though.

Baaaah, details.. Rolling Eyes

71 posts so far (in 12 hours) Wink. Good job.
ocalhoun
Well it looks like I only made it to 78. A personal best (I think) surely not a Frihost record. But at least I went from -25 to 144 points!
Thanks for keeping my account active the whole time, I told you I'd make up the lost points within the first day of being here.
The scary thing is that I just spent 15 hours straight here! That isn't bad is it? Oh dear, I think I'm addicted...

Oh wait... Addicted was 2600 posts ago... I'm a FREAK! Nooooooo!
And yes, I'm very very hungry now.
smokey4life
Welcome back! Just out of curiosity how is it in the air force do you enjoy it? I have heard a lot of mixed remarks regarding the air force, marines, army etc.. I was actually planning on joining the marines myself but after a few of my friends told me some shit about how they got screwed over im kind of second guessing it now. Confused
standready
ocalhoun wrote:
The scary thing is that I just spent 15 hours straight here! That isn't bad is it?

Aren't you suppose to be keeping your eyes on that radar scope for the enemy? LOL Welcome back!! Air Force safer than Navy. Navy might put you on a LST (large satationary target) in the middle of the ocean or 1000 feet below the surface in a pressurized tin can! again LOL!
Thank you and all military for your service.
ocalhoun
standready wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
The scary thing is that I just spent 15 hours straight here! That isn't bad is it?

Aren't you suppose to be keeping your eyes on that radar scope for the enemy? LOL Welcome back!! Air Force safer than Navy. Navy might put you on a LST (large satationary target) in the middle of the ocean or 1000 feet below the surface in a pressurized tin can! again LOL!
Thank you and all military for your service.

Aw, it's my day off! And I fix radars, not man them... (A much better job, as far as I'm concerned.)
A large stationary target? It would be safer to be on a stationary target in the middle of the ocean than a stationary target in say, Balad AFB, Iraq...

smokey4life wrote:
Welcome back! Just out of curiosity how is it in the air force do you enjoy it? I have heard a lot of mixed remarks regarding the air force, marines, army etc.. I was actually planning on joining the marines myself but after a few of my friends told me some shit about how they got screwed over im kind of second guessing it now. Confused

I'm enjoying being in the air force, and I would definitely recommend it over the other services, and many of the people from the other services that I've talked to say that they would join the air force instead if they were to do it all again. The hours are long, and basic training really sucks, but it is a rewarding job and has great benefits. Let's see, what do I get right now, even still in training...
-free food
-free housing
-free medical care
-free dental
-free membership in 3 gyms
-tax free shopping
-college credit for job training
-free college while enlisted
-$30,000+ for college after leaving
-free legal help
-discounts at lots of places
-security clearance (good for getting a civilian job later)
-cheap services like haircut, movie theater, car wash, bowling, paint ball, boat rental, lots more
-allowance for uniforms
-respect
-probably more that I forget right now

Right now I'm on duty from 5 to 5:30 every day for 4.5 days a week, but hopefully the hours will be better in the operational force, outside of training.
SpellcasterDX
Wow sounds like a pretty good job, Ocalhoun. Congrats. Smile

Also, welcome back.
Josso
Ah, me too. I've been moping about with college work.

-45! This is going to take some work... Laughing
xtupie
Welcome back
xtupie
Trust you are happy once more. I am sure some people missed you an Frihost, I am new so Iwe have not met in the pages.
takashiro
Welcome back!! Frihost is really solid. Very Happy
ConquerSockets
Ahha heyy all!

I am comming back too but not as much with force as you lool

Im in negative almost 200, but Ill get it back by posting everyday from now on Razz Missed you guys haha...

oo airforce seems fun but hard out without family...
[FuN]goku
Welcome back! Razz

Sounds like quite the career ^^
airh3ad
Welcome back man..Where have you been my friend? freehost getting very good! the force be with you.
James007
Welcome back on behalf of the moderating team. Wink

*Restarting the warning system*
nilsmo
This is similar to what happened to me... I had forgotten about frihost for a few months and was at -100 points. I posted a lot of one liners to get to -50 points but then got warned by a moderator for posting junk. Now today I might get back to positive points as I plan to post a lot today.

Good job on making it back to positive points, and may all you're points stay positive and your posts be positively high quality Smile
James007
One piece of advice: Do NEVER work your way up with one liners. We just want to see you are active again. Take your time. We would prefer 25 good quality posts, spread over several weeks, in stead of a 100 one liners. I think that's obvious.
Crazy_Canuck
James007 wrote:
One piece of advice: Do NEVER work your way up with one liners. We just want to see you are active again. Take your time. We would prefer 25 good quality posts, spread over several weeks, in stead of a 100 one liners. I think that's obvious.

Thank you for this advice, James.

Welcome back, ocalhoun. We've not met, but I find myself in the same pickle as some of you. Work and life got in the way of posting here and a lot of my online activities, and I just HATE to make garbage posts for the sake of it.

And congratulations on the career move. What's the meaning behind your signature graphic? Are you a vegetarian?
James007
Crazy_Canuck wrote:
James007 wrote:

Thank you for this advice, James.

Welcome back, ocalhoun. We've not met, but I find myself in the same pickle as some of you. Work and life got in the way of posting here and a lot of my online activities, and I just HATE to make garbage posts for the sake of it.

And congratulations on the career move. What's the meaning behind your signature graphic? Are you a vegetarian?

I don't think I'm coming through:

Rolling Eyes Very Happy
Crazy_Canuck
Or perhaps I'm not understanding.

These were not one-liners. I read through the entire threads before posting (a practice that 99% of the posters here do not apply, with annoying results). In most cases, I responded to a specific poster on the thread asking questions or providing information that I thought might stimulate further conversation on the thread.

In many cases, I did some research to provide links to information that I thought might be interesting and in all cases was on topic.

So what am I not understanding in terms of "quality of posts"? And please feel free to reply by PM if you consider this post now off-topic.
James007
There's nothing wrong as long as you make quality posts, but if you want to "blend in" smoothly, there are other ways to do so. If a moderator sees a user making replies to several topics (within the same forum), with an interval of about 3-5 minutes, it could and does indicate that that user is posting to gain points and not because all those topics seem interesting to him. But there are always exceptions of course. Don't see it as a personal attack, it was just a rather ironic remark.
Crazy_Canuck
I'm normally deeply appreciative of irony. Just not when I'm at the butt of it. hehehe

No worries, I'll go away now and blend in ... Wink

^^ not a one-liner. ^^ not just for points. <-- irony.
bulek
Welcome back!
jylan
Yeah welcome back ocalhoun, it sounds like you got yourself a dream job with all those benefits!

BTW I think I've learned more about Frihost on this thread than any other threads that I've read. How's that Shocked. Thanks James007 for some useful info Very Happy.
loyal
ocalhoun wrote:

Who are you?

Lol i'm just kidding!

Quote:

You work in the air force?! That is SOOO COOL!

Quote:

Lol

Peace.
ocalhoun
Wow
Super-duper thread resurrection!

It is still getting good replies though, so why not?
taytay
i win! I had negative 37 points!!

great job with the air force too Wink My brother in law is in the air force. Just got sent to iraq 2 weeks ago. It's comforting to my sister, my family and I that he's only called on 3 month terms. I can't remember if all of the air force is that way, but it's definitely nice. If I ever go into the military I'm most assuredly signing on with air force.

I hate that shuddery feeling I get. when I'm not able to get on the frihost forums and I know I'm in the negative... They know how to keep ya worried that you'll login one day and your site is gone.
jylan
Haha, didn't see that this thread had jumped from April 2nd to May 17 Very Happy! Someone had already bumped it before me though so I'm embarrasement free LOL.
ocalhoun
taytay wrote:

great job with the air force too Wink My brother in law is in the air force. Just got sent to iraq 2 weeks ago. It's comforting to my sister, my family and I that he's only called on 3 month terms. I can't remember if all of the air force is that way, but it's definitely nice. If I ever go into the military I'm most assuredly signing on with air force.

3 months is usual for the air force, which is one reason that it is nicer to be in than the other services. In the navy, you're deployed 6 moths out of every year, the army deploys for 18 months at a time. Not sure about the marines, but they probably have similar deployments to the army.

You occasionally get mocked for being in the 'chair force', but I think its worth it.
Bockman
I'll take the chance (now that it's bumped and continued) to say something i should've said one month ago...

ocalhoun, I'm not sure if you got the record or not, but I can assure there aren't many people posting 78 posts as long as yours in one day (after eliminating those who copy/paste, naturally)

(Notice I didn't say quality posts Evil or Very Mad Laughing )

Be Well Cool