FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Internet down, Frihost up

Psycho_X52
It's 8:00 AM (GMT) and every site I try to visit can't be accessed only mine (hosted @ frihost) frihost.com and another personal site... I can't even access my ISP's site (which should be on intranet). I can't access Google, Yahoo (Yahoo! Messenger Works), eBay.
Did you ecounter this problem?
secondeye
Naa I didn't face any type of this problem yet,May be this is bacause of Local area Network or may be only yours ISP was down at that time....

Any ways..My net wAs Going Rocking like A Hoppy Concert.
bloodrider
Probably you could only saw that sites because your browser had them in cache, or you were accessing them locally and you didn't notice.
rufa
bloodrider wrote:
Probably you could only saw that sites because your browser had them in cache, or you were accessing them locally and you didn't notice.

Yeah, that was prolly it. Happened to me one time when my internet was down. Took me some time and confusion before I understood that it was just cache files I was looking at Razz.

Although you shouldn't be able to post if that is the case >.< (if you still can't access other pages like google etc).
the-guide
I also encountered the same trouble like that too, it happened on 27, 28, 29 this month. I can only accessed the sites which their servers located in my local area (Thailand) and a few site from another area (including Frihost that I can accessed too). I can access Google.co.th but can't access Google.com, Yahoo, MSN and etc. (sometimes can be accessed but very very slow speed, abnormally) I don't know what's happen at that time. Question However, now I can access to all as normally.
standready
No problem here. Were you viewing cache info?
skygaia
sometimes it's very difficult to access frihost account...
Vrythramax
skygaia wrote:
sometimes it's very difficult to access frihost account...

I have never had any troubles connecting to Frihost servers. I seriously doubt the Internet was down at any time...that would have really hit the news big. Just imagine how much money would be lost if it did actually go down for any significant time.
Bockman
this may be a bit too late, but surely he wasn't in cache since he posted in our forums.

Most likely he had DNS problems and wasn't resolving IP's to the domain names (although why Frihost was accessible i dunno..)

And btw, "The Internet" will probably NEVER be down since it's not a single node. Partial downtimes are possible (imagine your ISP looses access to international links.. BUT that only affects clients at that specific ISP.

The only thing i can think of that might "close" the internet is IF the root Name Servers go down... Since this alone isn't an easy task to accomplish AND given the fact that EVERYTHING would still be accessible through IP (only thing that wouldn't work would be domain names), I don't see how "closing" the internet would be possible.

Be Well Cool
Aless
Hope it got sorted out okay! I didn't have a problem myself...was probably just your ISP being squirrelly. Happens all the time.
Vrythramax
Aless wrote:
Hope it got sorted out okay! I didn't have a problem myself...was probably just your ISP being squirrelly. Happens all the time.

I think it safe to say that if he was able to post to the forum(s), the Internet wasn't dead and the problem was pretty much solved. Razz
sheedatali
Sounds more like your ISP mate then the rest of the internet Smile
Arnie
Bockman wrote:
Most likely he had DNS problems and wasn't resolving IP's to the domain names (although why Frihost was accessible i dunno..)
I figured the same thing, and the latter can be explained by a DNS cache.
apple
I had the same kinda problem about 3 hours ago...thank god its resolved now!
m-productions
You can "disable" a great deal of the "internet" from one country to another, have you all watched the news about... 2 days ago? Whatever company has those MASSIVE cables underground (as in undersea as well) that carry phone... and other items to other continents was cut by some group. Ill see if i can find the article. its rather interesting.

this is NOT the one im looking for, but it has the idea of it
http://in.reuters.com/article/topNews/idINIndia-31722520080202
the one im thinking of disabled tons of people.

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/684517/Two_Ships_Blamed_for_Internet_Interruption_in_Middle_East.html
heres an article that kind of expalins it. so it can happen to a degree.
yupeng
In a way,this a kind of DNS problems,just like you guys said,because of the DNS cash,you can access FRIHOST,and others can't.
Usually,When the ISP internet service is not steady,such as some problems with the data carrying cable,problems with the Local DNS systems.........and so on.
Srs2388
I had the same problem a few days ago.... it lasted awhile too probably my ISP screwing up it does it so much though.
if it rains hard it seems as if it messes it up. I don't even have satellite internet i have cable 1.5mbs
Psycho_X52
The problem lasted for about 2 hours... I think it was a ISP problem, because after a while I could acces every site, but at a low speed.
Thanks for your support Smile