FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Has anybody else found a long lost friend on the Internet?

furtasacra
I just found a dear friend (on MySpace, of all places) that I hadn't heard from in EIGHTEEN YEARS after we had both moved around a lot. I'm so happy I could just scream like a little girl getting a Disney princess dress.

-----

UPDATE: over a year later...

I finally got to see my old friend, in person, over a year after I originally started this thread! He came from out of state to attend the high school graduation of another friend's daughter, and we got our little gang together for a few hours at a coffee shop.

He looks different (he used to be a toothpick with long hair), and has two kids, but he's mostly still the same on the inside. I was so happy to see him I went around smiling at everybody for no reason for days.
Psycho_X52
Nope, but I hope I will Smile
But with all those nicknames I don't think I'll know him Sad
rightclickscott
Some old friends of mine usually add me on myspace or facebook, and I'm all "what the f*ck?"
Terracarnus
No, but they usually find me!!

Its interesting to see this, especially if you go through the whole "who the hell are you?" process, then suddenly you see its someone who you have forgotten the last decade.

To be honest it makes me feel a little guilty that I haven't kept in touch, but once the initial awkwardness has passed its great to hear from them again. There is an awful lot of catching up which needs to be done!
Nameless
I tried to find a five year 'lost' friend on the internet, and couldn't find anything. Which kind of sucked. Confused
escritor
I tried to find just one person, but I failed as well. Sad
Relentless
I found an old school friend on msn, you know just add random people and see who they are lol

Well I happened to add an old school friend from 6years ago...

And after meeting her and geting into convo I asked her out 20months from 2day.

& We are both engaged Very Happy

Dan...
smokey4life
Yea i have never found an old friend on the internet or anything but mostly because i don't look for them Wink Most of them were "Lost" for a reason lol But i have had many friends that i lost touch with contact me VIA social networking sites and whatnot. Its kind of cool how you can find people you haven't talked to in years and years to where you normally would have no way of contacting them again.
Insanity
It happens to me pretty often through Facebook. It's not that hard if you browse through your friends and read their comments etc, that you run into a familiar name. This leads to more clicking and eventually you've found someone that you knew way back, and it turns out that that friend is a friend of a friend of yours now and it's all one big crazy circus.
tidruG
I used to study in Kenya when I was in primary school. I moved out before I learnt what the Internet was. I was just a kid too so I didn't really take the contact addresses of any of my classmates. It was after I came back to India and started using the net on a very regular basis that I wished I had their email ID's, etc.

I ended up doing a little bit of searching, and located quite a few of my former classmates. I have some of them on my MSN list as well Smile
Seiji
Yes, one of my friends contacted me that I hadn't seen in like 4 years. I was surprised to hear from them and its kind of crazy how much the both of us have changed in the past 4 years.
escritor
Relentless wrote:
I found an old school friend on msn, you know just add random people and see who they are lol

Well I happened to add an old school friend from 6years ago...

And after meeting her and geting into convo I asked her out 20months from 2day.

& We are both engaged Very Happy

Dan...

Wow, that's awesome. Very Happy It's like a book or film story. I wish you to have a plentiful life together. Smile
bigdan
I've found a few old school colleagues online as well. It's been good! Very Happy
hunnyhiteshseth
Yeah I have found quite a few of my old friends on the internet. Most of them on orkut.com and some on other sites also.
Ghost Rider103
I had a couple of old friends from kindergarden - 3rd grade add me a couple months ago.

They were looking through there year book they said and found my name and decided to look for me on myspace, and after that, I got a few more from that same grade. It was kind of weird for them to add me, since it was so long ago, but cool at the same time.
escritor
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
I had a couple of old friends from kindergarden - 3rd grade add me a couple months ago.

Kindergarten? Very Happy I'm sure all of you have a lot of news to talk about. Razz
Srs2388
I have actually found a couple people that i haven't talked to since i graduated in 07.
it was nice to talk to them again.
Ghost Rider103
escritor wrote:
Ghost Rider103 wrote:

Kindergarten? Very Happy I'm sure all of you have a lot of news to talk about. Razz

Yeah, that was way long ago. I remebered one of the people that added me, and the other I didn't remeber at all. But when i got my year book out, her picture was in there with my class, so I was quite surprised.

I guess they were bored and were looking through their kindergarden year book and seeing if they could find people on myspace from kindergarden, lol.
biljap
I managed to found some of my old friends… But unfortunately it was useless because I found only their account – they created them but they never access them again… Sending messages was completely useless, they never read them… Sad
Stevezorr
I found an old friend on a MMORPG (of all places, yeah, I know). I could only tell that is was him because of what he chose for his name.
anex
I found a former playmate when i was 4.
she is really happy to be in connection with me again...

simple community thing on studivz.net...

I'm happy too Wink
Magicman
I've tried to find lost friends online but haven't been very successful. Sometimes I end up with the screenname of a person I haven't seen in a long time but I can never seem to find anyone that I would consider 'lost'. Of course if I haven't seen the person in that long I probably don't remember their last name which makes them hard to find on social networks.
escritor
anex wrote:
I found a former playmate when i was 4.

I would probably not remember people from those times. Sad
singh.gurjeet
Yes... I did!! I received an email from an old classmate, probably he got mine from something like classmates.com or someting!!!

But he did not reply to my response!!! Guess he lost interest by the time I responded.

BTW, his name was Sanjeev, we used to call him Chopu (short for Chopra, a famous villain in Indian movies, Prem Chopra). My friend, if you are somwhere just get back in touch.

Gurjeet.
hlavco
One time I posted a picture of my classroom on a busy forum, and somebody actually recognized it and knew the teacher. Don't know who they were, though. I think they were a few years older than me. Still, it's a small world.
furtasacra
I wasn't really expecting so many responses to this, I was just giddy with delight about contacting a particular person, and just talking off the top of my head. I'll go into more detail when I'm not half dead.
Vlien
Insanity wrote:
It happens to me pretty often through Facebook. It's not that hard if you browse through your friends and read their comments etc, that you run into a familiar name. This leads to more clicking and eventually you've found someone that you knew way back, and it turns out that that friend is a friend of a friend of yours now and it's all one big crazy circus.

Facebook is a good way, indeed.
I found a boyfriend through the Internet two years ago. I secretly wish now I didn't back then Very Happy caused me nothing but trouble (but that's nothing to do with the Internet thing).
escritor
Maybe some day I'll try to find some folks from my past. Smile Your stories are interesting.
Josso
Yeah I get this. I don't use much social networking but I always transfer my phone number from network to network so people dig out their old phones randomly, find my number and experimentally try it.
furtasacra
biljap wrote:
I managed to found some of my old friends… But unfortunately it was useless because I found only their account – they created them but they never access them again… Sending messages was completely useless, they never read them… Sad

That's almost kinda what happened with my friend that I just found... he and his sister-in-law created the account as a drunken idiot joke; no pictures or anything, but there were JUST enough correct details for me to suspect that it was my friend and send a message... and it was, but I didn't know that until...

...EIGHTEEN MONTHS LATER and me having long given up on it, he checked that MySpace account, just for the hell of it, found my note, and wrote back.

Yay!
escritor
furtasacra wrote:
he and his sister-in-law created the account as a drunken idiot joke; no pictures or anything, but there were JUST enough correct details for me to suspect that it was my friend and send a message...

They must be really bad at creating fake profiles, aren't they? Very Happy
furtasacra
escritor wrote:
furtasacra wrote:
he and his sister-in-law created the account as a drunken idiot joke; no pictures or anything, but there were JUST enough correct details for me to suspect that it was my friend and send a message...

They must be really bad at creating fake profiles, aren't they? Very Happy

I don't think his intention was to create a fake profile. Just drunken silliness... which is actually how I originally created MY mySpace. I just was drunk enough to put up some pictures.

Anyway, I got back in touch with an old friend. Hip hip hooray!
carlospro7
That's really cool that you would find an old friend you knew well after a long time. Unfortunately, that has never happened to me. Hope it does though
apple
I found my best friend from high school! We've not been in touch for about 7 years and one day I saw a picture of her on a profile of another friend!

I LOVE THE INTERNET!!!!
HalfBloodPrince
FACEBOOK.

I have 196 friends on Facebook, and of them at least 60 are people I haven't seen in at least six years. Smile
meet in rio
Yeah - I made contact with two friends from 10 years ago and actually ended up meeting up with one of them for a few days. This is made more remarkable by the fact that we all came from military families (and so have moved several times since) and now all live in different countries. Ah, the magic of Facebook.
tijn01
How funny is that, and he still remembered his log in details!!!
Anyways I have never found any 'old friends' online, havn't really been looking for them either. Have been found a couple of times myself, which is quite funny..... but after a while you remember why they where 'old' friends.
drowningworld
Yes i have as about 2 years ago after my best friend moved.I was just looking through some old text files and i was scrolling through reading the names and i come across IM ACCOUNT.So i end up reinstalling yahoo and we talked for about 6 hours so yes.
Fake
No. Still trying though
escritor
The day before yesterday I saw an old colleague on the street. I could try to find her profile at the social network site, but I don't really have what to talk to her.
missdixy
I have. But it was sort of disappointing...we'd both changed a lot,
alyer
Yea i have found many old friend at www.odnoklassniki.ru web project
escritor
Was the www.odnoklassniki.ru web project especially developed to gather old friends?
mafiawars
I found a few on facebook old school buddies not seen in a few years its amazin how much ppl change just over a few years
skygaia
hm... I forgot the site name.. but there is a very famous internet site in my country. there are lots of club for all kinds of school. I could find the club of my elementary school. and I could meet my elementary school friends for 20 years.
escritor
What's your country, skygaia?
furtasacra
That's great, Apple! I'm STILL trying to find my "bestest" friend from high school, but I figure if I could find one friend from long ago, I can find another.
Thumpercats
Well I found a friend that I lost touch with about 10 years ago. We didnt find eachother on a computer though... we found eachother on XBOX LIVE while playing halo of all things. Was just an amazingly odd caquincadence.
escritor
Have you found him on XBOX LIVE? What an amazing coincidence! Very Happy
[FuN]goku
I dont think i've found a long lost friend online, i've met many many new friends, however, i've met long lost friends IRL a few times. My closest mate who moved away in grade 5, just last year was out to see his family and i ran into him at the mall.
asim
yes i have, i found i girl, we used to sit on the same becnh when we were in the fifth grade. [Very Happy]
Zombie
I haven't found a long lost friend online, but ive heard of a few people who did...
escritor
Zombie: how are they today? Do they still talk with their old friends or it was just a haphazard scramble?
loyal
furtasacra wrote:
I just found a dear friend (on MySpace, of all places) that I hadn't heard from in EIGHTEEN YEARS after we had both moved around a lot. I'm so happy I could just scream like a little girl getting a Disney princess dress.

Sort of.

I chatted to this girl who i didn't know online. Then i went to a camp thing, and met a girl there. When i came back, it was her, but i didn't know it! Lol!

Peace.
mk12327
That kind of luck didn't came to me. At least at the moment.

Instead, I just lost a friend I knew online few months ago. Didn't hear from the person since then.
ddoonie
I found quite a few from elementary school from facebook, rather they found me. Funny how people change yet stay the same, cliche i know.
datter
I found a long lost friend late last year. We were neighbors and used to play together constantly back when were were 8 or 9. She moved away though, and I never saw here again until I happened to spot her on Facebook almost 30 years later. I've ditched my Facebook account since then, but she's on my MSN list and we still keep in touch. Smile
Relentless
escritor wrote:
Have you found him on XBOX LIVE? What an amazing coincidence! Very Happy

How lucki is that!

Jesus thats wiered, can imagine it now, one gets roudy the other says where do you live i will come down there and bust you up, the other says so and so you then the other is like WOW MIKE? yes? AAHH CREEPY!!

Sorry bout that,,,

I found 2 of my old managers for my local pet store on XBOX live lol
Donutey
Facebook (with all its negatives and positives) is a pretty good place for finding people, new and old... Just recently I was contacted by a friend who left in 5th grade to move to Georgia. It's great nowadays that it's almost impossible to lose track of people (although i can see how this could be a bad thing also).
deviator
I got so many friends they I've made in online games and that I want to find. Thing is, they didn't have msn so it was impossible to reach them; only during online game play. I have a few friends that we keep in touch from time to time so that's still good. It's sad sometimes, but who knows, maybe one day they some how find you, even though you've changed you handle.

But yea, did anyone play a RTS game called Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge? It used to be a very popular game, and somewhat still is.

By chance if people that I knew are on Frihost, but I'm pretty sure your not, know of the handle Prims1459? That used to be the one I used in that game. Contact me if you do!
Arseniy
Yes, I've found my very-very old friend.
Long time ago, like 10 years or even more, I went to Crimea and got acquainted there with a daughter of my mom's friend. We spent a lot of time together and I had very pleasant impressions from her. Soon she went to Germany and we lost contact with her family.
Last year I registered the Livejournal for me. And soon she found me! Ain't this amazing?
I've almost forgot about her Smile
Srs2388
I didn't mention this I don't want to get off the topic but.
This is amazing. It does talk about the topic though.
I met my girlfriend I have now at a football game a couple years ago right?
I lost her number =[ didn't get to talk to her and i really liked her at first site and i thought she would think i wasn't interested.
I met her again in wal-mart... gave her my number but her phone got stolen that had my number in it.
amazingly like a year later.
She added me on myspace she told me she thought I was 'hott' so she added me... well this was her friend on her name.
we got to talking and talking.
We started to like each other more and more ended up in a relationship I met her again at her house and it was the girl from the game.
Christine Smile
This sounds like destiny to me Smile what about you?
We have now been together for over 3 months and really love each other. I know it is quick for love but we really do love each other =]
that's all =]
what do you think?
ankitdatashn
Ohh man thats what I'm doing these days, I have lost a friend name Swati Sharma who moved out of Lucknow and gone to Kolkata 12-13 yrs back, Now I am praying to god atleast I see her once again!!, any member here who is from Kolkata and knows her kindly PM me... Sad
zjosie729
I haven't found lost friends, but I've definitely been able to keep up with old friends through the internet.
darkeagle
I have found my eraser that I lost at primary school on FaceBook Razz
James_Hicks
I have found a few. Most of them find me, like ex-girlfriends. Luckily I moved four states away so they can't find me. Not that it's a really bad thing. It's just that they all turned obsessive and a little psycho in their attempts to lure me back. So I guess that is bad but it would be fun to get reacquainted on a biblical "know" level. Not sure how preverted I can get on here so I'll type it clean as possible.
escritor
darkeagle wrote:
I have found my eraser that I lost at primary school on FaceBook Razz

I wish I could find mine too. Razz It was shaped like a anime character. I played with it and my pencils (read: "evil ninjas"). Very Happy Very Happy
Zuex
A friend of mine added me on Myspace awhile ago, and we got talking again :]
HIPHOP
Yeah actually recently i found one of my friends on myspace. He was someone who was on my middle school basketball team. Me and him were unstopable we dominated the courts together. So now hes living in Vegas and he says its alright but nothing like the way it was here.
ankitdatashn
to no avail!!, I have not found my friend uptill now!!

sob sob sob!!
DjMilez
Do internet friends count?......xD

If so, I left this one forum, and after several months, one person from that forum joined the site I was on atm. It was weird =/
ssthanapati
Internet ans especially Orkut to be precise has been a boon for me. Found out lots of my long lost childhood friends with whom i had no more contact after i kept on shifting from one place to the other.

Found out 7 of them. Again started talking to them after a decade Very Happy
mvdh
Yeah i did, more then once.

I use a site called hyves, and thats the place i found many old "friends" back again Smile
Blaster
Odly enough i have also. I was on face book and noticed a new friend request and looked at it and was like who the hell is this. I looked and he was friends with other of my friends. So then i asked them and they said it was one of these kids who i was friends with from like 4th grade.

Things like that are one of the good things about things like facebook.
uwdanny
try www.spock.com
nigam
Yes.I found my long lost dear friend on friendster.We have been separated for 10 years after she moved to United States. And now, We communicate and often talks at internet messengers. Now, she's planning to visit me here in the Philippines this year. How wonderful and exciting to see finally my very dear bestfriend.
darkshamy
Yes, i have found a lost friend on the internet,
One day i was playing Counterstrike on a dutch server(my language/country), and i was playing a long time with one person, we starded talking, and swapping some information about ourselves...

And believe it or not, it was someone i knew from many years ago at my same school and same education as me..

It was a long time since i have spoken to that guy,
now i got his cell and msn,

so its much easyer contacting him now lol ^^

greetings,

Darkshamy
KSPKSP
Yes, I've found one of my best friend who moved to germany and I met him on internet
Zuex
I have found a long lost friend on the internet before, and afew have found me Laughing

darkshamy wrote:
Yes, i have found a lost friend on the internet,
One day i was playing Counterstrike on a dutch server(my language/country), and i was playing a long time with one person, we starded talking, and swapping some information about ourselves...

And believe it or not, it was someone i knew from many years ago at my same school and same education as me..

It was a long time since i have spoken to that guy,
now i got his cell and msn,

so its much easyer contacting him now lol ^^

greetings,

Darkshamy

Wow, do you know how unlikely that is (im not saying its not true, i believe u lol) but seriously omg, thousands of people play CS and you happen to meet your old friend, wow!
molif
i've been trying to find a long lost friend since 15 years ago..

until now, i tried looking up in facebook, friendster and myspace yet i still couldnt find her..

and i even look up in google for any existence of a blog about her or something..
its not that im desperate to find her but she is my childhood crush..

and it all ends when she have to move away.. till now, I still wonder where she is.. hope she is still around..
yunjitang
I want to make friends with others ,but i faild ....
why?
therealchrismarsh
I recently found several old friends, especially since friends reunited is now free!!!!
It's so good to get back in touch with people!
ptfrances
Yes thanks to Internet I could contact some old friends I didn't seen since a long time.
Internet is amazing to keep in touch with your old friends
speeDemon
Actually the internet is a place where you can find just about anything, or anyone.
Even I had such an insidence onece, but it was more of a comic one!
I was just roaming around on sites like AOL and Facebook, and suddenly I found a person who......... WAS MY BEST FREIND!! in school. I had lost contact with him when we were in the 8th grade and then he just flew off.

I sent e-mails to him and even chatted with him, but in the end... He turned out to be someone else!! Embarassed

I was shocked Shocked
But still, I became a good friend of this stranger, now we know wach other pretty closely... But I still wish that somedy I will find my bestest freind somewhere.... ahhhh......I would be so happy! Very Happy
lsjohnson
With facebook is posible find old friends : www.facebook.com
BPrice
face book has been like a miricle for me coz i moved around a lot just after i left school and lost contact with all my freinds and I have just rectly found most of them on face book.

I love the internet and websites like face book and freinds reunited ( now its free to use that is)
medievalman26
Hmm...well no, not yet. From my experiances people tend to find me before I find them so, I will give it some time
chsxc
yes, i've found a few friends on facebook. it's a great feeling
TentativeChaos
Some people I used to know found me on Mysapce, but it wasn't too long ago that I'd seen them, and they weren't my friends, so it was like whatever.

The bad side of all this is that if your old friends can find you, serial killers can too.
Jaan
Yeah, it's a nice feeling. I haven't summed up the courage to talk to her though... last saw her about 10 years ago... I will def soon though to see what she's up to.
jamesfox
I was scanning myspace one day to find whoever when I came across this girl I went to school with. We went from 1st grade all the way until we graduated and pratically were in every class together. Back then she wasn't much to speak of other than being super smart. Today she is a Hooters Calendar Girl that gets flown all over the world for photo shoots... Guess I messed that up...
showry
It's very happy to find some old friends on the internet, like classmates in the elementery school, and the internet give us a very easy way to make new friends.
SamiTheBerber
I have met my old school friends from the Internet, mostly in the facebook.
Boffel
Well, not in real world but my first friend in runescape I forgot and met him some years later again. That was strange...

But I dont play it anymore, so I havent seen him in some years now... Laughing
AmericanWomanOnline
For those who want to find someone from their past, this worked for me. I posted on Craigslist and Kajiji in cities where I knew that my long lost friends have lived. I put their names in the ads, details about them that few would know about but wouldn't be embarrassing or privacy-problematic, details about myself that would show them it was really me, and not someone else, and hoped for the best. I've found several friends this way, mainly by people who noticed the ads, and noticed that they matched with someone that they knew. They got ahold of me, gave me the info, and I took it from there.
PatTheGreat42
I long lost a friend I had found in real life.
sondosia
When I was in second grade, I lived in Illinois, and I moved to Ohio after just two years. I had three best friends there, but when I moved we were all too young to try and stay in touch. We all moved around a lot. Then I found two of them on Facebook and we started talking again. It was amazing.

Still haven't found the third one, but I'll keep hoping. Smile
kody
A decade ago I was contacted by what I thought was a "long lost friend", but it was just a jokester friend of mine playing an awful trick on me. She played the bloody joke for months! It was an elaborate build up to an awful April fools joke!

Bah!
danway60
I'm actually trying to find my best friend from a couple of years ago. She moved to Spain and she came back to give me her address, but I was a child at the time, and I lost it Sad

I've tried using many things on the internet with no luck.
With the help of Bebo and Myspace I'm looking through hundreds of profiles.
Does anybody know of any Spanish type websites?

I know searching on Google helps. I typed in Daniel Way Christchurch (Me and the place I live) and my Bebo profile was the first one on the list.

Can someone give me a Spanish networking site?

Thanks, Dan.
handfleisch
They did some intense surfing. Some even found a place that knew me and convinced them to give up my address! So far it's been okay. With Facebook and all it's becoming very easy to find people unless they don't want to be found.
taytay
I found an old friend. I think I creeped them out or something though, cause they wont talk to me anymore....

hahaha
furtasacra
Wow, I guess this was a good topic to post. The stories about people finding an old friend make me feel good.

I've re-located several old friends over the internet, but the one I originally posted about just got me all excited. THAT guy is more than a friend, he's like the little brother I always wanted, and I cried when the letters I wrote to him after he moved away (snail mail, no less) started coming back to me stamped "addressee unknown."

Finding my beloved "little brother" again almost feels like I've regrown an amputated limb, and I am SO GLAD to hear other people have been able to do the same. And I've seen some great suggestions for how to find old friends. Maybe somebody should gather them all up into one post, and get it stickied to make it easy to find (hint hint).
tidruG
Quote:
get it stickied to make it easy to find (hint hint).
Or make it a Featured Discussion Wink
poppat
Hey

Just found two long lost friends I haven't seen for TWENTY YEARS!

One of them now lives in Shanghai after moving from England to Hong Kong for many years.

The other ended up in Chichester, England, where he went to University and now runs a music business.

It was fun reminiscing.

poppat
ankitdatashn
hey furtasacra, You are lucky indeed, I am waiting for when will I meet my old friend I mentioned before, I deeply long to meet her again sometimes in future!!
gr8inferno
I found almost everyone on Myspace.
flyfamilyguy
Found my Mom after losing touch for a while. I had to pay for it, but well worth it! Hmmm,,Might try the old MySpace method sometime. Cool
ashish2005
Well there was this guy in the first grade and I sort of knew him. He left school when we were in the third grade and since then I never saw him until I was introduced to the internet when I reached the 10th grade. Back then I used to go to chatrooms a lot and there I saw his name. I just asked him whether he was the same guy and found out that he really was the same person/friend from the first grade. We used to then meet regularly and after a few months he dissappeared from the internet as well.
bonestorm74
Yes a few here and there, things like Facebook have certainly helped in that regard.

I left school in the early nineties before MSN, email etc had proliferated so I lost contact with most of my school friends. It often occurs to me that people at school now need never lose contact with most of their friends as long as they have MSN, email, a mobile phone number etc. Strange how things can change so quickly.
kerryworkman
I have found several friends on the internet, as well as several old business contacts. The internet is such and awsome place. Many of them took a fair amount of searching but several actually found me after I had set-up a social networking page (i.e. myspace, facebook, etc). As surprised as I was to find or be found by these people, it still surprises me that I havn't found more. I mean nowadays almost everyone is on-line for one reason or another. Mabye they don't want to be found, some of the people who have contacted me there was a reason why we lost each other in the first place.
MadeinIndia
I found many of my old friends on Facebook! Without the Internet, there was very minute chance of me getting in touch with those people. It's truly a great phenomenon.

The Internet has made the world a very small place!
wolvmag
I hope I never lose touch of any of my friends. I moved to where I am from Edmonton, Alberta.. all my friends are still across the country from me. It's pretty crazy but it seems they aren't online much anymore.. it kinda sucks you know? Friends drifting apart.. heck I bet my old nerd-bud Jared has a girlfriend by now xD Him and his motor skills problem.. anyway off that topic-

I hope I never lose touch of any of my friends..
Margery
Yup, I saw one of my friends in yahoo messenger. She added me to her list. And to think of it, she's too far from here but she found out my ID.
shamurokku
I’d say yes, but I don’t think they were actually lost. Just kind of out of view for a while.
caborela
yes, i was found by my friends (15 years old fd) from facebook.
furtasacra
missdixy wrote:
I have. But it was sort of disappointing...we'd both changed a lot,

Well... pooh. Sorry it was a letdown. My friend and I have both changed a great deal, but after not seeing each other for 18 years, we were more surprised about how much we still have in common.

I'm still looking for another friend. Lori Donnelly, nee Lori Heinzman, last seen in So. Cali.
stripi
I was once checking how many Google hits will return me on my name and I have found a causin who is living in Canada.
browtch
I was founded by a cousin on Orkut, I hadn't heard from in thirteen years, since she viseted me.
She lives in a city 750 kilometers away... but she came to visit me anyeway XD
Drawingguy
I found quite a few on facebook. The only problem is, you find them, but you haven't spoken with, or seen them in so long, that it becomes quite difficult to relate as you once did. After the initial- "hey, I knew you!" sort of greeting, the conversation generally isn't too meaningful. Nevertheless, it's always a fun experience finding someone you had completely forgotten about.
georgeodowd
Finding old friends can be fun... but it's kind of depressing when you find one who's a multi-millionaire DJ at 24. Puts things in perspective. Confused
soldeinvierno
one time I found an exgirlfriend. I found her in a very special website... She was a very famous streeper en Las Vegas!!! I couldn't believe it!!! She loved me!!!!!

I'm so stupid...
furtasacra
people DO tend to drift apart... that's the cool thing about the internet, is being able to shorten the distance, so to speak, without spending hundreds of dollars on phone bills or plane tickets.
ndalazdayz
I just found my best friend who had been missing for 5 years...turns out he just lost his phone that had my number in it...he smokes alotta weed lol...
fish-in-a-dish
well I've found a couple of old mates from primary school but it was difficult to keep in touch as we've drifted so far apart.
but to all those who've managed to keep those past relationships going- well done! and congrats.
Da Rossa
Yes, through orkut. Many of them!
Zombie
I havent found any old friends on the internet, but ive made some pretty interesting new ones. The internet is full of great opportunities to find old friends and I'm happy that you found yours Very Happy
ailema
maybe some, they can also find a long longs brother or sister of a family member.
ankitdatashn
Orkut was quite helpful for me to find quite a few old friends but still not got the one I mentioned earlier.

and hey "georgeodowd" whom are you talking about, has anything of the sort you mentiobed happened to you? and if yes than why are you depressed you should be happy for your friend's sake!!
donnau
I found my husband's son he had not seen in years and corresponded with him. We arranged a meeting and got to see him for the first time at age 20. He had not seen him since he was 6 years old.

I have found several people I used to go to school with via Myspace and communicate with them still.
Socioed
Yah, I still have yet to experience that pleasure. My mom found all her classmates from Russia on that classmates.com thing. But hey, I just graduated from highschool, so who knows what the future will bring. Very Happy
missdixy
donnau wrote:
I found my husband's son he had not seen in years and corresponded with him. We arranged a meeting and got to see him for the first time at age 20. He had not seen him since he was 6 years old.

Wow that's amazing
linkmenot
i found a lot of long lost friends on orkut. facebook wasnt that helpful though
linkmenot
donnau wrote:

I have found several people I used to go to school with via Myspace and communicate with them still.

thats incredible...seriously
chatrack
Just thinking , how fast it happend we get seperated...you go with your life and me with mine....but our memories.... where are u Ajan???? Question
Libby
I found out that my best friend in elementary school is now a hardcore lesbian, which is hilariously awesome because her last name is pronounced "gay". XD Thank god for MySpace, huh? I hope we can get together and hang out sometime, because I always knew she'd grow up to be really cool. Smile
fiftiesfury
I found that using Friends-Reunited, there were "friends" that kept pestering that weren't good friends at school.
fiftiesfury
Libby wrote:
I found out that my best friend in elementary school is now a hardcore lesbian, which is hilariously awesome because her last name is pronounced "gay". XD Thank god for MySpace, huh? I hope we can get together and hang out sometime, because I always knew she'd grow up to be really cool. Smile

How do you find Myspace etc? Are they any good?
Thumpercats
I found a friend that I havent talked to in about 12 years! It was insane that I ran into him on myspace! What a great website! Give people free webhosting, and make it newbie proof so anyone can use it! It is like the yellowbook of the internet!
Libby
fiftiesfury wrote:
How do you find Myspace etc? Are they any good?

Wow, you must be a real newbie. XD (I say this with love.)

www.myspace.com

But MySpace is mostly for teenagers and young adults, and most people don't use their whole name for safety reasons, so I'd say that it's not a very good way to find old classmates.
BCV36
I found a friend of mine that I hadn't talked to in over 5 years on Facebook. It was really great talking to him again. He actually made a visit down to see me not that long ago and it was like nothing had changed at all. He was still just as sweet and goofy as ever. We must have talked for hours. It was wonderful.
joostvane
I had a sponsor for my webradio. He sponsored it and an IRC Server for over 2 years, but then it got wrong and we lost contact. About 3 years later, I found him back when looking for a support channel on an IRC Server. Appareantly, it was HIS IRC Server...

If you imagine that I didn't even know that the IRC Server existed, or that it was owned by him...
IRC is a big place, I think the chances of remeeting someone on IRC... is pretty small Razz
nivinjoy
Not yet...Hope to find her soon...!!!
frih
no, not yet......still waiting....

regards
frih Cool
deanhills
Have been looking for quite a while but not successful. Could be that they are not really into the cyberworld and therefore not really connected. But have tried on and off for a number of years now.
rhocutt
i havent found a longlost friend yet but one time i thought i did on this game i my old friend's username was ironfist52 i havent seen for about 3 years last week i saw someone on that game called ironfist12. (it was someone else though lol
Ninja_Lyoko
Yeah...I have....

My friend...clrocks....was a good bud. We used to talk to each other every other day. Its really sad...really. He's online....but I don't think he even knows who I am. Sad
throughthefire
I found 2 of mine. The first was one of my best friends from 2nd to 7th grade. She found new friends and kind of abandoned me, so I was mad but forgot about it over the years. Our moms ran into each other and she found out about my poor health and searched for me on facebook. We've become pretty close again. The other one I've known since the day she was born and we're bet friends until somehow we lost touch when we were 16 or so and I randomly came across her myspace. We've reconnected and picked up where we left off, I'm actually going to see her this weekend:)
Even though I don't like being on such popular networking sites, I'm really glad I signed up or I never would of found my best friends and lots of other friends I've gotten to know along the way.
furtasacra
James_Hicks wrote:
I have found a few. Most of them find me, like ex-girlfriends. Luckily I moved four states away so they can't find me. Not that it's a really bad thing. It's just that they all turned obsessive and a little psycho in their attempts to lure me back. So I guess that is bad but it would be fun to get reacquainted on a biblical "know" level. Not sure how preverted I can get on here so I'll type it clean as possible.

That's FUNNY. I've had a few psycho ex-boyfriends find me, too, but I don't want anything to do with them... not even for a booty call. Yecchh.
marrs
I have found lots of friends who i used to go to high chool with but there are still quite a few who live in different areas of the country who i have lost contact with and many are girls women now and they have most likley married so the search is quite difficult.
The best platform so far is facebook to contact meet and great friends old and new
ohindawi
Hey you gotta love facebook. If they'r are so many problems with it today, its still number one in finding old friends. I found most of my friends from highschool which I havent talked to in years.
AK47BLAZE
escritor wrote:
I tried to find just one person, but I failed as well. Sad

I have not as well.
Jemstone
I grew up on what you could call the 'ghetto' end of my town. East side, where all of the houses were within ten feet of eachother and you knew all of your neighbors; you knew where was safe to walk and the places you would make a trip all the way around the block the other way and back again just to avoid it. I had these neighbors, crazy bunch of people really, but the best neighbors I've ever had in my life. I've had a lot of neighbors, and I would have never forgetten these ones, even if I hadn't reunited with the eldest son some 8 years later. I was browsing the internet when I was younger looking for some quality Goo Goo Dolls music for my webpage. I stumbled across a guestbook in one, and for some unknown reason, I decided to look in it. I have never bothered to ever look in them, but this time I did. There was one entry and it happened to be from someone from my town. So, also very unnatural of me, I decided to email them. We sent a few emails back and forth and I mentioned some people that I am friends with from my city, one of them being my older brother (who is the same age as him). Of course he went ballistic and when I told him the news that it was me, it's never been the same. We talk all the time, go places together, reminisce, and will most likely stay in touch as friends if not more forever. Really cool how we found eachother.
vvforgs
Yeah I get this. I don't use much social networking but I always transfer my phone number from network to network so people dig out their old phones randomly, find my number and experimentally try it.
Slinky
I had a large amount of old friends on yahoo and the only reason that i lost contact was because someone had hijacked my account. It really does suck I hope to find some of them again.
pavel22
Just get a large, very shallow metal water tank, paint it black, angle it towards the equator at an angle commensurate with your latitude (0 deg straight up for at the Equator, nearly 180 deg straight sideways for near the North Pole), put water input from your regular water supply at the bottom and hot water output at the top, going into the house and into a regular hot water heater (or for hot climates, straight into the pipes). To increase the effectiveness, you can put a few reflectors to angle more light onto it, insulate the sides that don't face the sun.
pashmina
I haven't found any old friend, but my friends have found me. So does this count?
rajamit
I believe in making new friends online and i don't lose my old friends, so i dont have to find them on inernet. Keep them all!!
knight30303
i once found a lost fried on the inernet, but it was on myspace, for some reason i looked at kids from my high school and i found roger Razz so it was pretty awesome, i wish i could find more of my friends on the internet. my mom has found lots of people she knew when she was a kid on the internet, mostly myspace, and i like this site its pretty neat, and nice topic Razz
zzpeanut
my face book no fwen... Embarassed
chi0
Yeh, I've found loads of people from primary (elementary) school on Facebook. Or they've found me. Razz

Sometimes I would definitely prefer to stay lost, though!! Razz
Gonzalo
The most amazing thing did happen to me about a year ago regarding this particular issue.

I met a VERY old and good friend in an online rpg. We lost touch when I moved from state about 10 years ago and was really odd that we ended up playing together like that without even knowing that we were both playing the same game on the same server.

Imagine all the people you may come across in games and never actually know that you may both met before in real life...
houdney
I found an old friend which i'm afraid to say i had forgotten about. He is an old friend from school. The last time i saw him was when people started leaving school to head for university and the like. On our first conversation 9 years later, i found out he was married with 3 kids (1 more than me) and still living in the same small town as i had been since school. How we never bumped into each other was a miracle.

Since then i have moved overseas and the dialogue has lessened between us but i'm sure that we'll discover each other again by the time we're old men, cashing the pension cheques and scorning at teenagers in the street as we wait for our free bus ride.
gyraluzie
no but that would be sweeeeeet.
goutha
With myspace and facebook, it became something very simple.

I already found several friends that I didn't see for years.
deadswan
An old friend found me on Facebook Razz
And then on Myspace before i had even accepted the invite on Facebook Think
mewmewlazlo
I did. I found a friend i haven't heard from in 6 years! my best friends always leave me... Sad
Olly
Someone found me on Facebook, but I don't remember her! How embarrassing especially as she said we were quite close and ripped off a couple of memories that I don't remember at all. My memory is crap nowadays.

Olly
psycosquirrel
Friends come and go so much... I don't remember anyone from before I started playing hockey back in 1999. Then again, maybe I'm suffering some memory loss from hockey...
bmcdowell18
Yep, usually the ones i dont want to find lol
xaogo
I recently tried searching on the internet for friends from elementary school. I actually found them, however, I it felt too awkward contacting them so i just left it at that. Sad
warriorpoets
Yes, I recently had my best friend from High School track me down over a MySpace page. As much as I hate MySpace, I'm glad I was signed up there at the time.
moray
one good school friend of mine but only 25 years ago ... found me on facebook
it was wonderful .. he shared some old photos from back then

I laughed like hell when I saw them

I felt like I was 14 again

Internet is wonderful in this
patmay
Yes - in fact I found a very good friend from Switzerland whom I haven't seen for years. He contacted me on Facebook. Guess it is not a very original story but it just shows how well these social networking sites really work. To tell you the truth, I was quite sceptical towards the medium as such. Also considering the amount of time some people very obviously use there but after some positive experiences, I had to revise my opinion.
WicCaesar
I have found a lot of old school friends in orkut. Smile
mydesign
Yep!
I found so many people I had lost contact through mySpace....
It feels good to find old buddies and keep in touch with them!!!

Melacos
As a matter of fact, I did this just yesterday.... Well really, it wasn't a friend as such, but several family members... I hadn't been talking to any of my cousins the past ten years or so, and I came to think of them while browsing facebook yesterday... I used the search function, and like half an hour later, I'd found 6 cousins and ants... I even found one (through one of the others) that I didn't even knew existed.
Well, what amazes me the most is the lack of effort I had to put into it... Halft an hour, that was all!!
Pin3apple
I cant find the friend im looking for either.
and i never will.
he's dead.
Afaceinthematrix
I have met long-lost friends online as well. That's a good thing.... of course there's a bad side to everything. I have found (well actually they found me - I don't go looking for trouble) some long-lost enemies online... But then again... I just ignore those people... I left that back in school as a child...
Pin3apple
I actually found a danish kid which's 16 who were raised only few kilometers away from me in Norway.
About two weeks ago we were planning to meat in the summer of 2009.
But then he started spamming on a forum where I use to be.
And we became un- friends.
He acted like a rapist and a crazy M*****F*****.
I'm kinda glad we didn't met.
His temper has got one of the highest levels in the world
carlospro7
Actually recently I have found a whole group of friends on the internet. Last time I saw any of them was over eight years ago, and I had already thought that I would never see any of them again. Turns out that many of them are on the hi-5 network.
sana618
pavel22 wrote:
Just get a large, very shallow metal water tank, paint it black, angle it towards the equator at an angle commensurate with your latitude (0 deg straight up for at the Equator, nearly 180 deg straight sideways for near the North Pole), put water input from your regular water supply at the bottom and hot water output at the top, going into the house and into a regular hot water heater (or for hot climates, straight into the pipes). To increase the effectiveness, you can put a few reflectors to angle more light onto it, insulate the sides that don't face the sun.

what is this person talking about... i thought this thread was about finding long lost friends on the internet.....
coming back to the subject.... i had lost contact with my friend for a long time, but later we met again online as we both had not changed our id's. now we talk online almost on daily basis, on a veriaty of subjects and it was he who suggested me to join this forum, and i'm glad i did because i just love to read about the different opinions of people the world around on different things.
Kyohtee
I have.He was my best friend from Pre-K to 7th grade.Then after two years of no commuication, i saw him on Facebook.He was all the way across the country!
Donutey
I had an old friend find me on facebook, but that's about it. Of course I've never moved since I started school (except for college)...
biljap
After some time, I managed to find some of old friends I haven’t heard from for several years. I lost every other contact with them so that was nice feeling, hearing from them again. Very Happy After so much time, we have to get to know each other again, for the second time.
Internet is amazing; it helps you to do so many things! Wink
nancy
Hey! same thing happened to me! I had a tough time tracking a friend of mine for almost 5 years but guess what i found a way to communicate with her, cool huh. I used Bongo on my phone, wrote her name name and sent it to 505050. The amazing part was I automatically got the answers in a flash. The service was quite accurate and fast.You should try it. I surely recommend this one.Hope you find your friend soon.... Smile
mtorregiani
Well, thanks to facebook I've been able to find friends that I haven't seen for five years...
Life changes quickly, by the way
goutha
I think that every person with a Facebook account found at least one lost freind. I've read a story about a mother that found her kidnapped child on facebook after more than fefteen years... Welcome to the Web 2.0 era!
spring567
Yes, but I did't so happy as you.
skygaia
There is a famous web site in my country it's "I love school".
there are lots of school cafes. I could find out my elementary school's name on it. I joined the cafe . and then I could see my old friends. well... it's been a long time to see them again.. about 25 years after graduation from the school. Most of them have been changed little bit sometimes a lot...But it didn't take long time to remind each other.
Insanity
Facebook is amazing for letting you find your old classmates, since so many people are on Facebook now. The only problem is if you still remember them, or if they still remember you enough to add you. Of course, if you weren't that close, you probably shouldn't bother anyways.
medesignz
Someone contacted me via friendsreunited, but have seemed to lost contact again... She doesnt appear to be on FaceBook though, so seems to have lost contact again.. HOHUMM!
guissmo
The Internet wasn't as widespread when I was in elementary, so it's good to use Friendster and Facebook to catch up on my batchmates. Smile
rvec
moved to Relationships

This move is part of rvec's big general chat cleanup
furtasacra
rvec wrote:
moved to Relationships

This move is part of rvec's big general chat cleanup

Aha! So that's why I couldn't find it when I went to update the original post a few weeks ago!
dinja89
A few months earlier I was seeking for a friend of mine that moved to Detroit. I came up to idea to look for him at social network sites, but I didn't managed to do that. It turns out that he had a profile on facebook, but he deleted it just a few weeks before that.
Then I decided to try at some online people search service. I checked a few sites for that purposes and I decided to buy a membership on one of them: http://waatp.com and I am very glad I didn't regreted that. That small amount was nothing comparing to the level of hapiness when I managed to find his phone number and an email address there. It turned out that was a best option, I did not loose my time and I located my friend in just one day. Great service.
sudipbanerjee
Yes I have found 4-5 no. of school days friend through orkut with whom I have no connection since 12-13 years.
iyepes
Yes, I've found lots of old friends from High School and College through facebook, indeed we had a meeting two years ago when a couple of friends who live abroad came for vacations, that was really nice to see them, fatter, balder, and married with children Smile
nigam
yes! i just found 1 two days ago and i was really happy....we haven't had a communication about 20 years ago....i have been looking for him and good thing he found me through facebook using nickname...
mshafiq
I did not find any old friend on internet yet.
Honestly speaking I never tried yet.
This is because I am bit under depression now a days.
captainsuperdude
haha, you guys look like family almost.
cybersa
Soon I will get.
Now only using social network.
chic4u03
they found me in facebook many long lost friends..in high school
lrj945
I joined the cafe . and then I could see my old friends. well... it's been a long time to see them again.. about 25 years after graduation from the school. I lost every other contact with them so that was nice feeling, hearing from them again.
littlemjae
Well, I've found him on Facebook.. My childhood neighbor / crush whom i've lost in touch for 14 years. He went to another country.. we're not that super close childhood friends.. I only knew him before by his nickname.. but he goes to our house and we'll play, run around, etc.. I want to message him on Facebook but I don't think he will remember me.. Crying or Very sad it feels awkward to message him.. Confused Embarassed
kmr_mukund
i found a friend on facebook which didnot meet me from 7 years.i met him first in my school in 10 th class.he is my good friend.but after 10 th class he went to delhi. so i lose the contact. but now a few days ago i got him on social networking site on facebook.i was very happy that day...
johans
furtasacra wrote:

I found lost friends in Facebook.. Very Happy
medesignz
Ive found a lot of sad people online Very Happy
TheLimey
With social working these days it is not out the norm to find a long lost friend. However, good for you!!!!
medesignz
Who needs friends when I have the matrix(?)
kavkec
No but i have been looking for her
medesignz
Are you looking for love online?
thefame
Yes I did! Viva Facebook! Such a good feeling!
medesignz
there are so many people that I'd like to avoid on Facebook.

Saying that, there are a few that I would like to find if possible... But alas, I think they may be lost forever
spam
so many new people to meet, so little time!
Insanity
I did. I found several friends actually through Facebook. It's amazing not only how many people you can find these days online, but how some of the friends you aren't really in contact with but are still friends with on Facebook, yet you don't talk to them.
zaxacongrejo
hahaha yes i did once when I was just a kid let’s say around 14 I meet a person
that use to cheat public phones ,and teached me how to do it, gave me the dtmf codes to use etc, what I really needed at the time to call girls, loll, at that time phone calls were expensive
I use to spend a lot, so you can imagine know about that it was a kind of life change event.
my country is not big, but that person also of my hage ,wasn’t from the same city I was ,so with time we end up losing contact, guess what about 1 year later dtmf codes changed and I didn’t had the new ones or other way to know them.so I decide to write a letter asking for the for the new codes. wich I did but I never had an answer .
About 15 years later I received a phone call from my father “hey you have a letter here from a person called xxxxx” I thought what a hell I don’t know no one with that name this is probably a mistake, anyway when I had the chance I open the letter and there it was “hey dude I just find this behind a closet I know 15 years had passed but better late than never” lolllll
So thanks to email and at the time Msn messenger it was pretty easy to initiate contact again not like the last time
Very Happy
medesignz
spam wrote:
so many new people to meet, so little time!
Agreed... No point looking back, only looking forward
johannespilz
yes i agree as well. why focusing on the old ones to much. its nice to see how people got along over the years but there was a reason why your ways went on differently. and there are lots of other people to meet out there. stay curious.

i figured that most of the time if i met old friends on facebook i actually didnt care that much about them anymore. we had our time and experiences, our fun and stories. but it was good to move on. if u are happy with your situation in the moment than there is no need to look back.
loveandormoney
furtasacra wrote:

-----

UPDATE: over a year later...

I finally got to see my old friend, in person, over a year after I originally started this thread! He came from out of state to attend the high school graduation of another friend's daughter, and we got our little gang together for a few hours at a coffee shop.

He looks different (he used to be a toothpick with long hair), and has two kids, but he's mostly still the same on the inside. I was so happy to see him I went around smiling at everybody for no reason for days.

This picture is a very good example
for the most humans.

Why do the most humans not stay people
not stay happy together as here women and man.

This is more happy then to watch TV.

This is my oponion.

Gratulations.
talibhsn
Yes. I have found my old schoolfellow friend on internet after 14 years with whom i have memorable events in life and we used to be best friend of ourselves.
loveandormoney
This is a good way
to spend the weekend.
playfungames
I find long lost friends on facebook all the time now. There was this girl who I sat with in grade 1. She was gone after then. I did not know where she was until around half a year ago, she contacted me on facebook. Somehow she managed to find me. That was awesome. It was around 19 years later that she contacted me. Felt awesome.

Another case was the same but I was friends with that guy in school till the 10th grade. Then we lost touch and he too contacted me in facebook a couple of years ago. It was around 6 years later I got to talk to him but turns out he is in South Africa now.

Really cool to talk to people from the past.
loveandormoney
It is exciting?
Isnt it?