FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Mashups.

uuuuuu
So, I have a vague idea of what a mashup is.
You hear them on the radio all the time, it's the combination of two (or more) songs together.
How are they made?
What kind of musical artistic skills and software does it take to make a mashup?
It doesn't take a genius to transpose the key of a song... so long as their beats match each other via stretching/squishing, and their key signatures match each other, is that at least a good first step?
Who has made a mashup here?
Please share a link to it along this thread.
I want to try to make one myself, if I have great success I will share the fruits of my labors with you.
In the meantime, please tell your mom hi for me...

Love,

Uwe
ddukki
If it's a professional mash-up, done by either the artists themselves (like Linkin Park & Jay-Z) or the record companies (i don't know of any off the bat), they take the Master Tracks (the music tracks that have the individual parts; voices, instruments, etc.) and edit them to their liking.

But in terms of the Boulevard of Broken Songs (?) mashup, a DJ or amateur musician took parts of the song, precisely edited the tempo, pitch and background noise to mix them together. How he did this without the master tracks is beyond me. The sound engineering that's required is considerable for any casual mixer.
The Mitchell
Mashups are yeah generally 2 songs or more. i usually get an acappella of one song and cut it up. slice into something i reckon itll fit nicely with. A lot of the time i tend not to alter the puitch of a trasck too much. if you go over the top then it just sounds shit. When i finish it ill post my Si Begg/ Daft Punk Mashup on here. A lo0t of the time a mashup is essentially no different to a remix. there are no rules as usual its just a case of cut the bits you want out and slam them into something like ableton (this is always good cos it allows you to warp all your samples to a specific tempo without changing the pitch if you wish) and then piece together how you want it to sound.
IconicWar
I downloaded this mashup with a total of over 100 songs mixed. Search Pablo Blue - Pablo's Big Adventure. It's a 2 part 1 hour long mashup.
kicy
Well if you have a good ear and software skills some instrumentals can easily be reproduced
(or you can download them) then streched changed as needed, as for the vocals... I have no idea..
Some songs you can "filter" out the instrumental, but for the most part you cant. Maybe they cut out
certain areas of the song and amplify the areas that have the lyrics/
Athomix
So, I have a vague idea of what a mashup is.
You hear them on the radio all the time, it's the combination of two (or more) songs together.
How are they made?

Arrow They are made with program as Sony Acid Pro

What kind of musical artistic skills and software does it take to make a mashup?

Sony acid Pro

Please share a link to it along this thread.

www.belgabootlegs.be
Soulsounds
IconicWar wrote:
I downloaded this mashup with a total of over 100 songs mixed. Search Pablo Blue - Pablo's Big Adventure. It's a 2 part 1 hour long mashup.

It is called a mix. and yes all dj's do that. i have my doubts about dj mashing 100 songs and making it sound bearable. it takes like few days to make a good mash-up out of tracks by sampling, cutting equalizing, pitching etc unlike basic mixing styles (depends on dj and genre of the music). u can make a mix which has 100 tracks in less than a week if u use computer software Smile
Bengt
the creator analyses the songs he wants to use and mixes up some parts of them and make one fluent song Smile
Athomix
Here you can found some mashups http://www.lastfm.fr/user/superhelga/journal/2006/08/10/203954/
thegoswebs
Hey Uwe, that's a German name, are you German? Many bands do mash ups, and basically what it is is two or more bands combining their own songs together to make one entire song. Our band does some mashups with local bands around our city. It's not really a thing for individuals to do, but sometimes it's a fun project to mix together songs and do arrangments with other bands songs, but I'm not sure you would want to do it yourself. I'd much rather prefer to do a song with another band than mixing together two songs two other bands did. And you don't really need to have the songs match, if you are good at music you can make them match by changing tempo, or even the transpose or octave. Simple as long as you know what you're doing lol.
gabeos
if you're looking for good examples check out DJ Earworm. just google search i guess. He has a great mash-up of the top 50 songs for 2007
Athomix
thegoswebs wrote:
Hey Uwe, that's a German name, are you German? Many bands do mash ups, and basically what it is is two or more bands combining their own songs together to make one entire song. Our band does some mashups with local bands around our city. It's not really a thing for individuals to do, but sometimes it's a fun project to mix together songs and do arrangments with other bands songs, but I'm not sure you would want to do it yourself. I'd much rather prefer to do a song with another band than mixing together two songs two other bands did. And you don't really need to have the songs match, if you are good at music you can make them match by changing tempo, or even the transpose or octave. Simple as long as you know what you're doing lol.

Arrow I'm not German, I live in Belgium near the Germany, I don't no for other country but here we make mashup with a computer (with sony acid pro for exemple) and it's not a "live", if you change the tempo it's not a real mashut but a remix Wink
Nobody as already made a mashup? If yes post it here to share it Very Happy