FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Update the information on the front page --- 10 minute job

simplyw00x
Every question that gets asked about the front page is shot down with "wait for the redesign" (coming out at the same time as Duke Nukem Forever, as I understand). There are some things that have to be updated now, though. Doing so will take 10 minutes but will help tide people over and reducethe pressure on the redesign:

• The list of features is out-dated
  • "Not Just Another Blog" is closed/inactive. Linking to an inactive site on the front page looks a bit bad for Frihost
  • The default text size is too large on linux, and makes the page look really scrappy.

Thanks for your time, and whilst I can't wait for the redesign, I hope you can prioritise updating the current front page in the interim.
nivinjoy
simplyw00x wrote:

• The list of features is out-dated
  • "Not Just Another Blog" is closed/inactive. Linking to an inactive site on the front page looks a bit bad for Frihost

Thanks for your time, and whilst I can't wait for the redesign, I hope you can prioritise updating the current front page in the interim.

I don't think "Not Just Another Blog" is closed...I was able to access it today...Confused Confused

Anyway like many others i am also waiting for the face lift of Frihost..and hope to see the new face of our website Frihost as soon as possible...!!! Laughing Cool Laughing
simplyw00x
Quote:
I don't think "Not Just Another Blog" is closed...I was able to access it today...Confused Confused

With the last entry dated July 21st 2007, entitled "Logging Off"
rvec
simplyw00x wrote:
Quote:

With the last entry dated July 21st 2007, entitled "Logging Off"

and ending with: "Goodbye for now. I would be back with lot more in a couple of months."
So that should be about now Smile
simplyw00x
Quote:
and ending with: "Goodbye for now. I would be back with lot more in a couple of months."
So that should be about now

I understand artistic licence, but in which universe is 'a couple' '12'? Also, "Muchhala's World" appears pretty slow, with the last update 3 months ago. Surely Frihost has better (or at least more active) hosted websites than those 2? (Sirius Black's, whilst completely not my thing, at least updates regularly and looks pretty cool, so I can't begrudge that!).
ocalhoun
^A website being very active is not really what we need to show off on the index page, however. What we need there are websites that:
-are good looking
-at least being visited a little; they shouldn't be entirely out of date
-make good use of some of Frihost's features
-don't have any ads (or at least none on the homepage)
-are made by reasonably active Frihosters, so we can be sure they won't have to be deleted.
simplyw00x
Quote:
^A website being very active is not really what we need to show off on the index page, however. What we need there are websites that:

No, what we really want are good websites. Ideally, famous websites. 'Famous' sites are sites higher up on google for popular keywords. And the best way to get up on google, without dodgy 'SEO' (which we shouldn't be showcasing), is new content, regularly. Of course we want to show off Frihost's features, but we don't want to give the impression that it's dead (in so far as the frontpage doesn't already give that impression).
ocalhoun
^Why should we be concerned about the example sites being well listed on Google? We would want people to get to them from the homepage, not from Google.
Ghost Rider103
It would be a good idea, I wouldn't even know if the front page ever does get updated. I go there everytime before I come to the forums, because that's how I make my way here is through the front page.

I never bother to look at the content on it, since I already know what it is, and already have my hosting. But an update would deffiniately be good.

But hopefully we get a facelift, and get some new ocntent with it. Good idea, we just need Bondings to come on more, or maybe Bondings could give acess to that to one of the other moderators.
simplyw00x
Quote:
^Why should we be concerned about the example sites being well listed on Google? We would want people to get to them from the homepage, not from Google.

Because sites well-listed on Google are more likely to get the "Wow, X is hosted here! I *LOVE* X! This must be an awesome host" reaction, and because sites that are well-listed are so because they are active and important; both good attributes for sites we're using to try and 'sell' Frihost.

Quote:
But hopefully we get a facelift, and get some new ocntent with it. Good idea, we just need Bondings to come on more, or maybe Bondings could give acess to that to one of the other moderators.

L2R
LostOverThere
I agree with simplyw00x, especially about the sites. Maybe find out the top 5 most visited websites hosted on Frihost and put them to the side to show off the whos who that Frihost hosts.
sonam
Quote:
Maybe find out the top 5 most visited websites hosted

Number of visitors is not quaranty for quality. I was see many websites on first page of Google what have bad looking, very long time of displaying, bad css (even more they haven't css for IE), etc. Of course visitors are important but I think this is not enought for simplyw00x idea.

Sonam
ocalhoun
simplyw00x wrote:

Because sites well-listed on Google are more likely to get the "Wow, X is hosted here! I *LOVE* X! This must be an awesome host"

Do we actually have any sites hosted at frihost popular enough to make it likely that even one user would think this?